THE BROWNS BOARD

Little fish review

Little Fish
IFC
PG-13         101 min
Except for the slowdown in movie production hit movie production because of the Covid panic I’m surprised there aren’t more movies coming out based on viral outbreaks. LITTLE FISH hit the theaters this week and in a relatively short run. As of now only the Cedar Lee has it but I’m assuming, considering the buzz, that soon after publication it will be on more screens and most likely streaming. It’s a science fiction romance that shares a few elements with some of my favorite movies, including MEMENTO and THE ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND.  Also, THE STAND, though that wasn't necessarily a favorite.
 Olivia Cooke and Jack O’Connell star as Emma and Jude, relative newlyweds, she a veterinarian and he a photographer substance abuse well in his past.  The 3rd most important cast member is actually a dog named Blue who is instrumental at their meeting and the film's end. 
 The antagonist here is a virus called NIA a virus with effect similar to Alzheimer’s but with a few important differences.  This malady can strike anyone at any age and could cause the memory to disappear all at once or little pieces at a time.  Jude seems to be among the 2nd group. There is no set timeframe and unfortunately no cure even though there is a treatment that might stop the progress.
 As in MEMENTO Jude and Emma begin writing down notes so he can remember what places and things are important.   Jude does little things to cover, like letting Emma go out to the car first because he has forgotten which one is theirs. Director Chad Hartigan uses a familiar plot device of jumping around in time which makes the film a little confusing but maybe that's the idea. 
 There are a few spots the don't make a great deal of sense but I just made the decision to let those slide and enjoy the rest of the film. One in particular is that there is a treatment that shows great promise but it is almost impossible to get and the lack of  availability is causing panic in the streets.  From what we see the only instrument needed is a hypodermic needle, a doctor and a few minutes in the office.  I also wondered why come if people forget so many basic things, everybody seems to still remember how to speak English. But what the heck.
 By the time the heartbreaking ending rolls around it dawned on me that there were not only new questions but maybe even a ray of hope though we never find out about any of that.  I think that uncertainty might be the strength of the film and I wound up raising the grade from a B- to…
A-
WSS