THE BROWNS BOARD

District 9

Warning...just leaving theater. Typing on phone.

MODS, I know this is off topic BUT I have to warn everyone. People in my theater were mad leaving saying it sucked.

And I LOVE Scifi.

Bummer I couldn't wait to see it too !!!

I just got home.

I was REALLY jazzed to see the movie. Without being a Spoiler, the movie is filmed with a bouncy docucamera "Dockers Commercial" type deal. If you like that stuff and you see it without the anticipation of a "true" scifi, you may like it. Not me...ugh.

I would have walked out but my wife made me stay.

When the movie ended, the theater was quiet except for compaints that I could hear. I heard the guy walking behind me complaining to his family how the movie sucked...I turned around and told him "It did suck...and I'm going to post it on the Internet to warn people." I know this is all subjective.

But hey, maybe some people will like it. Just keep in mind, I like MOST Scifi.

i didn't go into it pumped or anything. only just learned about the moive like a week ago. so from that perspective it wasn't a dissapointment at all, since i wasn't really waiting for it. i didn't like the whole handy cam, cloverfield style at all. but most of that went away about halfway, then the movie turned action and was pretty good, to me at least. i thought the last action scene was really entertaining.

but ya, i could see how to someone it might be let down if they were waiting for this for a long time.

Just got back from seeing it. It was decent. I go to the movies to be entertained, and it was entertaining. A lot of stuff I still don't think adds up, but overall worth seeing. The action scenes and effects were excellent. I didn't even notice that the film was shot shaky cam style. Cloverfield made me nauseous at first, but D9 did a good job of blending it in, It really felt like it was a documentary. I'm like Alendor, where I kinda went into the movie with limited knowledge if what the movie was about exactly so I was able to enjoy it more that way I think. I often get too hyped up for movies that end up not living up to my high expectations.

I liked district 9 a lot actually, just dug everything about it from the presentation to the story If i want to turn my brain off and have a good time I go and watch a movie if I want to think about things i watch a documentary.

I saw it last night as well, and I wasn't too impressed. I thought the idea was great, but it there were just too many plot holes.

And I'm sorry, but Signs sucked. Aliens that die from water? Come on. That would be like us invading a plant that is 70% covered in acid.

I saw it last night as well, and I wasn't too impressed. I thought the idea was great, but it there were just too many plot holes.

And I'm sorry, but Signs sucked. Aliens that die from water? Come on. That would be like us invading a plant that is 70% covered in acid.

Yeah but if we landed in the 30% that wasn't covered in acid then we would be good to go. At least for a little while.

My Take: weirdly entertaining. This movie really is for the mature audience not only for the level of blood and gross but also for the complex infusion of drama and originality in a sci-fi movie that does require some thinking. The movie is shot more like the Cloverfield but the way the it incorporates complex CGI animated aliens and special effects is amazing.

Story: An alien aircraft hovers on top of Johannesburgh SA. international soldiers enter the aircraft and rescue malnourished aliens and set them up in a refuge camp in SA called D9. Locals are not happy and want the aliens moved else where. Enter MNU a private organization who's job is to relocate these aliens - only they have another job in mid - obtain the alien weaponry. Add to the mix some nigerian smugglers who wish to give food to aliens in exchange for arms. the major catch though is that the alien weapons work only with their DNA and not the humans.

Wikus is a nice MNU officer who leads the operation to evict these aliens. In one of his regular visits he gets sprayed with alien goo and slowly the goo starts changing his DNA to cause him to turn into one of them. Suddenly he is wanted by the company who can now use him to test the alien weaponry. Seeing the horrific experiments the company performs on the aliens and their own plans for him he gets disgusted and manages to escape and is forced to hide in D9. in D9, he befriends christopher, an alien and his son. They both have designed a way to make the alien ship operational again and want to escape earth. The rest of the movie is about how Wikus helps Christophe and his son escape from earth.

Conclusion: This movie has everything to become a huge summer blockbuster - a well thought of story, originality, amazing and realistic graphics, unique visualization, gore, a set of well placed actors, emotions - real human emotions, no hero bullshit all in all a nice movie to watch for those who value story and quality. The movie ends with some questions but perhaps there are plans for a District 10 ?

I laughed quite a bit and if you guys really think about it, this movie is not much different that A Clockwork Orange.

The Mr. Bean-like hero goes through all kinds of silly, completely unplausible crap only to end up transformed, docile and changed as we leave him.

This movie was intended to be a Borat-like farce with American audiences being the last to actually get it. Liberals who so desperately want to believe that our government hates the little guy and is capable of Aparthied and torture will be glued to the screen and will bob their heads up and down as if to say.... " yeah, this is soo like our COuntry, now.

But c mon.........launching a pig with a ray gun to kill someone? A picture of the hero photoshopped to make it look like rear entry sex with an Alien? The attempts to hide the ridiculous humor in serious social undertones was completely lost on me. I had some liberals siting in front of me and the woman (liberal women have bigger testicles than liberal men) asked me to be quiet because I was laughing so hard.

People this was NOT Science fiction. It was instead a silly parody where the director has the last laugh reading the social commentary made by suckers in the audience.

This movie was a complete turd, BUT I give the director an A+ for pulling a " Sasha-Cohen-Borat on the viewers.

The entire marketing of this film was a farce to show most people cannot think for themselves.

I am like you, if the Sci Fi totally defies science, math, or logic, it is hard to get lost in it. Even more so when the movie tries to shock you rather than just entertain you. You know, Star Trek......... we know its bs but we LOVE IT.

With signs, here is the deal, in the summer ya got 80 - 90% humidity in the air. That water doesn't bother the Alien, but a bucket of water is different how?

I liked the pitter patter scare techniques across the roof, but the punch line of Signs was "watered down", forgive the pun.

• 3 weeks later...

Signs blew.

M Night Shamalamadingdong had exactly ONE good film in him.

PS Day Of The Triffids ring a bell?

WSS

Signs blew.

M Night Shamalamadingdong had exactly ONE good film in him.

Good call,

Unbreakable was ok

Barely OK and I gave him the benefit of the sophomore jinx.

But then into the crapper.

WSS

but if I ever met him in person I would have to demand $20 and an apology for making me sit through lady in the water,jesus was that bad.

My Take: weirdly entertaining. This movie really is for the mature audience not only for the level of blood and gross but also for the complex infusion of drama and originality in a sci-fi movie that does require some thinking. The movie is shot more like the Cloverfield but the way the it incorporates complex CGI animated aliens and special effects is amazing.

Story: An alien aircraft hovers on top of Johannesburgh SA. international soldiers enter the aircraft and rescue malnourished aliens and set them up in a refuge camp in SA called D9. Locals are not happy and want the aliens moved else where. Enter MNU a private organization who's job is to relocate these aliens - only they have another job in mid - obtain the alien weaponry. Add to the mix some nigerian smugglers who wish to give food to aliens in exchange for arms. the major catch though is that the alien weapons work only with their DNA and not the humans.

Wikus is a nice MNU officer who leads the operation to evict these aliens. In one of his regular visits he gets sprayed with alien goo and slowly the goo starts changing his DNA to cause him to turn into one of them. Suddenly he is wanted by the company who can now use him to test the alien weaponry. Seeing the horrific experiments the company performs on the aliens and their own plans for him he gets disgusted and manages to escape and is forced to hide in D9. in D9, he befriends christopher, an alien and his son. They both have designed a way to make the alien ship operational again and want to escape earth. The rest of the movie is about how Wikus helps Christophe and his son escape from earth.

Conclusion: This movie has everything to become a huge summer blockbuster - a well thought of story, originality, amazing and realistic graphics, unique visualization, gore, a set of well placed actors, emotions - real human emotions, no hero bullshit all in all a nice movie to watch for those who value story and quality. The movie ends with some questions but perhaps there are plans for a District 10 ?

I agree with you on this movie. It was totally different. A unique piece of filmaking. Perhaps that is because there was not apparently one single bit of "Hollywood" involved with it. Some of the gory stuff was somewhat over the top, but then, maybe weird experiments on aliens WOULD involve over the top gore.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have to totally agree with you Greg, going into this movie I knew it was about alien refuges on Earth. After seeing it, there is much more about District 9 and its inhabitants. This is one of the greatest Sci-fi movies I have seen in a while, I loved it. You also did a great job on the review, not giving away the story, which I liked. Keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I have to totally agree with you Greg, going into this movie I knew it was about alien refuges on Earth. After seeing it, there is much more about District 9 and its inhabitants. This is one of the greatest Sci-fi movies I have seen in a while, I loved it. You also did a great job on the review, not giving away the story, which I liked. Keep up the good work.

I agree with you. This is by far one of the best sifi movies in a while and I am shocked there is a thread bashing it.

Archived