THE BROWNS BOARD

Blockbuster Trade

Dutch Oven

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

He probably has more than that.

Good trade for the Lions no doubt.  They currently hold the 3rd pick this year.  With Goff, they won't draft a QB...at least it doesn't seem so.

I wonder what they might get in a trade down to a QB starved team?  If I was running the Lions, that is what I would do.

Welcome to the auction folks, step right in and start bidding

Detroit has the 7th pick

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

If I was running the Lions, that is what I would do

Dorsey is assistant GM in Detroit as of last week to Brad Holmes as GM, so you'd probably make better suggestions than Dorsey with all those picks.

Holmes was the director of player personnel with the Rams tasked with ID'ing the 2nd/3rd day picks the last few years, and they've done a lot of good work.. so it's possible he could repeat that in Detroit - and if so more power to him.

Lions new staff has a good OC with Anthony Lynn, and Dan Campbell will be decent as HC.

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

2 1's...3rd..and a 6th... to Hello Bernie !

But the Browns needed a QB.  IMO, the Rams didn't 'need' to do this.  I mean, they traded up ahead of us to draft Goff.  Is Goff that bad?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Orion said:

But the Browns needed a QB.  IMO, the Rams didn't 'need' to do this.  I mean, they traded up ahead of us to draft Goff.  Is Goff that bad?

Stafford’s contract is better (for now) but wait until they have to extend Stafford.  We hear how he’s better than Goff is it plausible that he would want at least Goff type money?   

The Rams are actually worse off financially (cap wise) this season dealing Goff.  8 million worse by my count in 2021. 

And No I don’t think Goff is bad.  Goff 107 TD / 55 INTs. Completed 67% of his passes this past year...Couple Pro Bowls.  Not too shabby for 4.5 years of work. 

I expect the Rams will try to fix the money situation now by extending/restructuring Staffords deal to soften the blow to the cap.  

I have a Rams buddy that is upset big time...he’s happy that the 9ers didn’t get him but aside from that not happy at all. 

8 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I have a Rams buddy that is upset big time...

My kid brother was a Rams fan.  

I would never have guessed that Stafford would've landed in LA.  Reality is stranger than fiction.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Orion said:

My kid brother was a Rams fan.  

I would never have guessed that Stafford would've landed in LA.  Reality is stranger than fiction.

Yeah... I thought Stafford might wind up in Philly or Texas..

14 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I have a Rams buddy that is upset big time...he’s happy that the 9ers didn’t get him but aside from that not happy at all. 

My brother is a huge Goats fan too and is not happy as well. It isn't Stafford vs Goff, because he really dislikes Goff and hopes Stafford will be better, it's simply the 2 firsts he can't get over. 

^ For me? Finally! Me, a Browns fan. Finally, I get to laugh at other teams.... oh how the worm has turned. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, D Bone said:

My brother is a huge Goats fan too and is not happy as well. It isn't Stafford vs Goff, because he really dislikes Goff and hopes Stafford will be better, it's simply the 2 firsts he can't get over. 

^ For me? Finally. Me a Browns fan. Finally, I get to laugh at other teams.... oh how the worm has turned. 

Yeah no doubt.  We’ve done some stupid things unfortunately.  

The Rams aren’t even better off this season (cap wise) making the deal. 

Im reserving complete judgement until I see Stafford’s new deal.  I think we all anticipate/assume it will be cap friendlier.  I’m with your friend...2...yes 2 1st round picks thrown into this Stafford deal better bring a ton more flexibility. 

No playoff wins for Mr. Stafford. You can say he had no running game ever but he’s had some slick WRs and just a world class WR like Megatron. 

On 1/31/2021 at 6:45 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Unless there was something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about with Goff- that was one lopsided trade. Since I sort of follow the Lions (my brother in laws are both Detroit fans) this could set them up to build a winning franchise in the next couple of years.  For the Rams, it's just win NOW baby!!!  I still have zero respect for Carpetbagger Kroenke and the way he screwed over Saint Louis. But they have their $5 billion dollar NFL showcase with the Super Bowl scheduled there next year. History says LA fans are pretty fickle- they'll show up for the first couple years to check out the new digs, but after that- you go 4-12 for a few years that stadium will be about as empty as it was this year.  :D  

Digging a little deeper Tex- the way the Rams are throwing away draft picks is reminiscent of George Allen's Over the Hill Gang in Washington.  I forgot they traded TWO first round picks just to get Jalen Ramsey. Yeah he's good- but worth TWO first round picks?  

PS- The Browns have the Rams 5th round pick this year as part of the Austin Corbett deal.  

On 1/31/2021 at 10:40 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Detroit got the terrible side of that trade? Two firsts, a third and Jared Goff is terrible? 

Yeah, that's an interesting take.

Other than cap management, Dorsey's going to have two first round picks in 2022 and 2023.  MHO? The Lions made out like the Frito Bandito. Unload a QB who wanted out and replace him with a serviceable starter, and get two firsts one third round pick for your trouble.  

16 hours ago, Orion said:

Form you own opinion. MHO? Slightly above average qb who throws a lot of ints.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoffJa00.htm

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Unless there was something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about with Goff- that was one lopsided trade. Since I sort of follow the Lions (my brother in laws are both Detroit fans) this could set them up to build a winning franchise in the next couple of years.  For the Rams, it's just win NOW baby!!!  I still have zero respect for Carpetbagger Kroenke and the way he screwed over Saint Louis. But they have their $5 billion dollar NFL showcase with the Super Bowl scheduled there next year. History says LA fans are pretty fickle- they'll show up for the first couple years to check out the new digs, but after that- you go 4-12 for a few years that stadium will be about as empty as it was this year.  :D  

Digging a little deeper Tex- the way the Rams are throwing away draft picks is reminiscent of George Allen's Over the Hill Gang in Washington.  I forgot they traded TWO first round picks just to get Jalen Ramsey. Yeah he's good- but worth TWO first round picks?  

Ya think? 

PS- The Browns have the Rams 5th round pick this year as part of the Austin Corbett deal.  

Could we trade that for a proven veteran? 

Other than cap management, Dorsey's going to have two first round picks in 2022 and 2023.  MHO? The Lions made out like the Frito Bandito. Unload a QB who wanted out and replace him with a serviceable starter, and get two firsts one third round pick for your trouble.  

Dorsey is not the GM there, is he?  Just an assistant.   Though I am sure he will have his share of input, I don't think he has final say.  But, yes, he can find them some talent.

Also, Chris Spielman now being there will bring them some inspiration....and toughness. 

1 minute ago, Orion said:

Favre threw lots of int's too.  

...Goff's stats look a lot like this guys:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StafMa00.htm

I was initially going to put it there too Orion.  :)   Stafford had a couple good years, but is he a massive upgrade over Goff?  Doubtful.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Ya think? 

I had to think about the Ramsey trade Gipper, and the Rams overpaid....  Not surprising.  

Here's something more in line what the Steelers gave up to get Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Steelers get: from Miami- Fitzpatrick + 2020 4th & 2021 7th

Miami gets: from Pittsburgh- 2020 1st + 2020 5th & 2021 6th. 

I won't bother on how the draft value chart works out on that one, but it essentially looks like it cost the Steelers one first round pick to get Fitzpatrick, not two.   

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I was initially going to put it there too Orion.  :)   Stafford had a couple good years, but is he a massive upgrade over Goff?  Doubtful.  

IMO, I get the feeling the Rams felt like Jared Goff was never going to be able to "take the proverbial training wheels off". That they would always have to scheme his way to success, and that Stafford will allow them to have a more consistent, dynamic offense. 

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

I had to think about the Ramsey trade Gipper, and the Rams overpaid....  Not surprising.  

Here's something more in line what the Steelers gave up to get Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Steelers get: from Miami- Fitzpatrick + 2020 4th & 2021 7th

Miami gets: from Pittsburgh- 2020 1st + 2020 5th & 2021 6th. 

I won't bother on how the draft value chart works out on that one, but it essentially looks like it cost the Steelers one first round pick to get Fitzpatrick, not two.   

Steelers may have gotten a bargain then. 

Dorsey isn't the GM in Detroit, he's one of two equal assistant GMs.  The other assistant is Ray Agnew who was director of player personnel at Rams 2017-2020.  Not sure of the rams org chart but guessing Agnew was in the #3 tier [under assistant gm] and was brought over to Detroit for the promotion.

Detroit GM is Brad Holmes who was part of rams org from 2003 until 2 weeks ago, directed Rams college scouting 2013-2020.

Ray Agnew was the first round pick of the Pats as a DT in 1990.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

IMO, I get the feeling the Rams felt like Jared Goff was never going to be able to "take the proverbial training wheels off". That they would always have to scheme his way to success, and that Stafford will allow them to have a more consistent, dynamic offense. 

So, does Baker fall in that category?

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Stafford had a couple good years, but is he a massive upgrade over Goff?  Doubtful. 

So, is it like Dutch says?

Or is it financial?  Do we now have to win a super bowl with the 'proper value' at each position?   "You spent too much on QB and not enough on LB'ers so you don't get the gold ribbon with your super bowl trophy."

I guess we have to assume that Dutch is correct.  The Rams see Goff as garbage.  I mean, they gave up multiple 1st round picks and a 3rd for Stafford, oh and...here, take Goff too.  I mean, sending him to Detroit is like Belichick sending Jamie Collins to Cleveland (the NFL's Siberia at that time).

1 hour ago, Orion said:

So, does Baker fall in that category?

I think it is too early to say... while I do not think Baker will ever be an "elite" QB, I think he'll be trusted to perform well in Stefanski's system for the foreseeable future, where I think the Rams thought Goff was holding the team back - that he had hit the ceiling and was starting to regress.

I guess we have to assume that Dutch is correct.  The Rams see Goff as garbage.  I mean, they gave up multiple 1st round picks and a 3rd for Stafford, oh and...here, take Goff too.  I mean, sending him to Detroit is like Belichick sending Jamie Collins to Cleveland (the NFL's Siberia at that time).

I don't think Goff is garbage, I just think the Rams felt they had gotten as far as they could with him, and were just spinning their wheels. They know their title window is now, and Matt Stafford in their opinion gives them a better shot. He's definitely a more dynamic QB than Goff is. 

On 1/31/2021 at 8:56 AM, tiamat63 said:

Basically paying for long term draft capital.  

Yup... makes our trade with HOU for the Brockweiler and a 2nd seem like chump change.

That said... supposedly the Lions FO actually like Goff...

... but Dorsey ain't there to draft OL and DBs.

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2021 at 8:34 PM, Orion said:

Rams are built to win now. Goff simeply is not the guy to take them "there". That's what the Rams learned this year and realizing that, they moved on...

On 2/1/2021 at 2:25 PM, Orion said:

Favre threw lots of int's too.  

...Goff's stats look a lot like this guys:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StafMa00.htm

Very similar with Goff's actually being a little better. What else was better for Goff? His team...

Stafford has played on mediocre to bad team teams his entire career, yet he posted stats on par with a QB on a veritable dream team by comparison.

Rams are banking on Stafford to flourish in a role on a damn good team.

Goff? Only thing he will have going for him in DET is low expectations...

Lions have as OC the guy who was HC and responsible for both developing and calling plays to maximize stats of both Herbert and Austin Ekeler last season. 

Can Lynn find whatever Goff has and utilize D'Andre Swift / Goff? Yes, Steichen [eagles OC] was OC for Chargers underneath him, but Lynn's weakness was the game & clock, not the coaching. Lynn is a former RB coach and was a backup RB for the Elways when they won the back-to-back SB in the 90's.

If the Lions are going to actually use Goff, then they should not bother with drafting a QB.   Of course, if they got him to turn around and retrade him in order to get more picks....that could be a smart move.  Then they could go for Zack Wilson or Fields.  Especially given the comparative salaries.  

Its not like they couldn't use a vast infusion of talent on that team.  They can.  And getting a number of good players aside from  a QB  seems necessary if they ever want to get past being known as the team that has won one single playoff game in 64 years. 

20 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Of course, if they got him to turn around and retrade him in order to get more picks....that could be a smart move.

I don't see how.   They've just demonstrated how little trade value he had.

I'm a Rams fan (to a degree) because my kid brother was a Rams fan.  But I'd like to see Goff succeed.  By getting these picks, and changing coaches (we've seen how important getting the 'right' one is) it could be a springboard into a new era for the Lions.  

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I don't see how.   They've just demonstrated how little trade value he had.

I'm a Rams fan (to a degree) because my kid brother was a Rams fan.  But I'd like to see Goff succeed.  By getting these picks, and changing coaches (we've seen how important getting the 'right' one is) it could be a springboard into a new era for the Lions.  

If the Lions could get like a second rounder for him....do you think they would go for it? 

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

If the Lions could get like a second rounder for him....do you think they would go for it? 

If they think he's as bad as the Rams do, then perhaps....since they've already got a bunch of picks for/with him.

19 minutes ago, Orion said:

If they think he's as bad as the Rams do, then perhaps....since they've already got a bunch of picks for/with him.

Right.   What I am asking is if they are now in the draft pick accumulation business...selling off QBs for current year or future picks. 

Right now, per DraftWire, the Lions biggest needs in the draft  (and by extrapolation....Free Agency)....pre-trade were:

1. Wide Receiver

2. Linebacker

3. Defensive Line

4. Quarterback.....(now??)

5. Cornerback.

And, this may be before the trade, but the Lions  had  the following picks in the upcoming draft:    #7, 40,  71, 89, 112, 151