THE BROWNS BOARD

Blockbuster Trade

Dutch Oven

According to Adam Schefter the LA Rams have traded Jared Goff, two future first round picks, and a future third round pick to the Detroit Lions for Matthew Stafford. 

Holy cannoli. I can't imagine what LA would have given up for DeShaun Watson. 

Wow Jared Goff is probably pissing himself right about now... Holy shizzles!!!... I wouldve kept Goff... Stafford has maybe what 2 years left?

10 minutes ago, nickers said:

Wow Jared Goff is probably pissing himself right about now... Holy shizzles!!!... I wouldve kept Goff... Stafford has maybe what 2 years left?

Well...if he can hang around as long as  BR/Eli/Rivers...that would make  5-6 more years.   If he goes to 40, like Brees/Brady...it would give him 7+

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

According to Adam Schefter the LA Rams have traded Jared Goff, two future first round picks, and a future third round pick to the Detroit Lions for Matthew Stafford. 

Holy cannoli. I can't imagine what LA would have given up for DeShaun Watson. 

Yeah, now Watson may be stuck in Texas.

Mike 

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yeah I’m not getting this one...Stafford admittedly a little better than Goff.  He’s 33- he’s played a lot football that “little better” could close fast in the other direction. 

Throw in not 1....but 2 first round picks. 

Strange one 

More than strange. Just plain ridiculous and getting close to Mike Ditka territory.

https://sports.nbcsports.com/2019/04/15/revisiting-saints-trading-entire-draft-for-ricky-williams-and-the-deals-that-almost-happened/

10 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Freedom from a contract???  22M dead cap hit this year for the Rams 

Yes, his entire contract.  They pay 22M to get out of their obligation for 129M over the next four years. 

As Pellisero says, rams eat the 22 and lions are on the hook for 107.  Maths!

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

John Dorsey is going to have fun in the next few drafts in Detroit

Failing upwards in the NFL never made any sense. If you're looking for a new team to take the terrible side of a trade and have an abysmal locker room.. Detroit!

5 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Yes, his entire contract.  They pay 22M to get out of their obligation for 129M over the next four years. 

As Pellisaro says, rams eat the 22 and lions are on the hook for 107.  Maths!

how’s this “maths”....
Goff had a $34M cap number in 2021

By trading Goff Rams carry $22M in dead cap for Goff and have a $20M cap number for Stafford.

So the Rams are paying $8M more in cap space for the starting QB position in 2021.

I see posters talking about 5,6,7 Type years left with Stafford- I think Snead gets into another bad marriage and extends Stafford soon- and I certainly don’t think Stafford takes less when that happens. Unless the Rams just traded their future and all their picks for a two year rental. Unlikely.  Just my 2 cents and my maths 

Basically paying for long term draft capital.  

I'd fully expect the Lions to get back to fundamentals now.  Run the rock, play improved defense, try to limit Goff's exposure (in a sense).  Get back to creating a competitive type of culture within the organization.  Which sucks because the Lions have Kenny Golladay and it's fun seeing him get vertical.  

NFCN is going to be in strange times the next couple years.  Rogers is on the back 9 and looking at the club-house, Kirk is Kirk, Chi-town has zero idea what their QB situation will be like.   But now the Lions have serious draft assets that nobody else in the division can match the next few years.  

• Upvote 1

very strange trade. Goff goes to Detroit, with the #12 offensive line, from the Rams with the PFF ratings #3 offensive line.

Two freaking draft first round picks? Stranger still, the rams are in bad negative cap space terrority, and Detroit is barely above their limit.......

very, very strange. BTW, PFF offensive line ratings - Cleveland Browns #1 !

cap space:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

48 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Failing upwards in the NFL never made any sense. If you're looking for a new team to take the terrible side of a trade and have an abysmal locker room.. Detroit!

Detroit got the terrible side of that trade? Two firsts, a third and Jared Goff is terrible? 

Yeah, that's an interesting take.

45 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Basically paying for long term draft capital.  

I'd fully expect the Lions to get back to fundamentals now.  Run the rock, play improved defense, try to limit Goff's exposure (in a sense).  Get back to creating a competitive type of culture within the organization.  Which sucks because the Lions have Kenny Golladay and it's fun seeing him get vertical.  

NFCN is going to be in strange times the next couple years.  Rogers is on the back 9 and looking at the club-house, Kirk is Kirk, Chi-town has zero idea what their QB situation will be like.   But now the Lions have serious draft assets that nobody else in the division can match the next few years.  

And the Browns play the NFC North next season.... 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Detroit got the terrible side of that trade? Two firsts, a third and Jared Goff is terrible? 

Right on, IMO.   While I do believe Stafford is better than Goff...he is also older,  and he certainly is NOT  2 extra first round picks better. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That original comment and link is about Dorsey being terrible.. He'll take good players with the first round picks but fail greatly at everything else

19 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

That original comment and link is about Dorsey being terrible.. He'll take good players with the first round picks but fail greatly at everything else

He nabbed three cornerstones in his first draft for the Browns with three of his four top picks, (and Austin Corbett I believe has started every since leaving the Browns) but the rest of the draft didn't amount to much. His second draft for the Browns looks horrible. 

I'd have to look at his drafts in Kansas City. 

I was petrified at the idea of him and the Browns salary cap longterm, so that problem was solved when he was fired. 

When I heard about the trade, I immediately thought it was a player for player swap.... then came news of the 2 first round picks, and finally the third rounder just to rub some acid into the cut. What a completely inept look for the Rams, and I can see the Wonder Boy being gone well before the ball drops on 2022.  

I do think Stafford will be better than Goff in the short term, but the price will be the future of the franchise.  

To the Rams credit, they've drafted the following players between the 2nd and 6th rounds in the last 4 years.

- Gerald Everett

- Cooper Cupp

- John Johnson

- John Franklin Meyers

- Sebastian Joseph

- Taylor Rapp

- Darrell Henderson

- Bobby Evans

- Gregg Gaines

- David Edwards

- Cam Akers

- Van Jefferson 

- Terrell Lewis

- Jordan Fuller

So in a way, I understand their front office having a sense of confidence to continue bringing in talent without 1st round picks.   Since moving to L.A. that's a pretty absurd hit rate in mid to late round picks that are 1st - with the team  and 2nd - producing if not outright starting.

Again, credit where it's due.  They've done a great job turning over rocks and finding quality NFL players all throughout the draft.  

• Upvote 1

Per one source I read......this trade will make it harder for the Miami Dolphins to trade down from the #3 pick (which they got from Houston)....to a team that may want a QB.   Detroit was a prime trade down target for them...but they seemingly are off the board.....unless they want to do another deal that would send Goff to Miami and Tua to Detroit.

Wouldn't that be fresh?     Otherwise, they may be left trying to deal with Carolina at #8.....or actually picking a player at #3....and what is wrong with that.

Though, for Miami,  I guess they still could be into the Watson market, though I don't think Houston wants Watson in the AFC. 

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

A Browns-Lions Super Bowl would be great for the NFL. 

The "exorcise your demons" bowl...Lions 1957, Browns 1964, the last time these two won it all.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Orion said:

Unbelievable.

The Browns badly wanted to find a way to acquire former Boardman High School quarterback Bernie Kosar who was leaving the University of Miami, while Buffalo was looking to add draft picks. Both found a way to make it work.

“Thank goodness we were dealing with Ernie Accorsi who was one of the most honorable men you will ever meet,” former Bills general manager Bill Polian said. “We ended up getting Cleveland’s first-round draft picks in 1985 and 1986, their third-round pick in 1985 and their sixth-round pick in 1986 for our first-round pick in 1986.”

The Bills drafted HOF'er Bruce Smith in 85 with their pick #1. DB Derrick Burroughs with ours..1986 the Bills turned 1st Browns pick into Iowa's RB Ronnie Harmon.. 

2 1's...3rd..and a 6th... to Hello Bernie !

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, nickers said:

He probably has more than that.

Good trade for the Lions no doubt.  They currently hold the 3rd pick this year.  With Goff, they won't draft a QB...at least it doesn't seem so.

I wonder what they might get in a trade down to a QB starved team?  If I was running the Lions, that is what I would do.

Welcome to the auction folks, step right in and start bidding

At first, I thought that trading Stafford was stupid by the Lions, and doing for 2 firsts and a second was stupid by the Rams. I don't know what is the Rams' situation for the future, but if they fixed a major cap problem, the more I think of it, this might be a trade where there aren't any obvious losers. Sans the hindsight that everyone and their mothers will have when we see how both QBs pan out in their new teams. 

The Lions start a rebuilding with new GM and HC, get a lot of draft stock, and make a transition with a young QB. I like Stafford better than Goff, but I think the later can be a decent QB for a team with no playoff goals for the near future.

The Rams get rid of a huge contract with a QB they don't believe in, get another one in exchange who can surely give them an edge for 2-3 years. They have been constantly in the playoffs as of late, so those picks are late first rounders. I think they have done very well staying as contenders juggling with the cap and drafting well, so I think they can make it with less draft picks, and they believe so. This is also the kind of trade that can set them as an attractive venue for FAs looking for a "win now" team, which makes sense since Ithink they'll have to keep juggling this year (again I don't remember their cap situation). 

If there is an obvious loser, for me it is Jared Goff. They traded him with 3 high picks for a vet QB. Still, he is no Osweiler going to the Browns with no player exchange... 

interesting opinion.

says the rams won the trade, (only because they had to bail on their serious mistake of giving Goff a huge contract extension).

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/01/30/matthew-stafford-jared-goff-trade/