THE BROWNS BOARD

Pittsburgh Issues

Browns149

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Hue was worse than a  BAD head coach.  The WORST in modern NFL history. 

And yet he keeps kicking around now in the AFCN again.......to haunt the BROWNS we'll see.

6 hours ago, Nero said:

Hue Jackson joining the Steelers as OC is great news... For the Browns. 

I would only sign him as an assistant to the coffe maker. 

Lots of people can’t be head coaches but are perfectly solid coordinators. Mike munchak a good example. I still want pep Hamilton or Canada but I’d be fine with hue.

47 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Lots of people can’t be head coaches but are perfectly solid coordinators. Mike munchak a good example. I still want pep Hamilton or Canada but I’d be fine with hue.

Great hire with Hue ;) 

I’m sure the vets will love his load management/ time off tactics in training camp.  

that NFL throne sitting asshat should never get hired again 😇... What ever happened to his book Adam Silver was writing for him? Are they still watching the tape? 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It stalled inside the red zone.

It was a flea-flicker from his own end zone into triple coverage 

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And yet he keeps kicking around now in the AFCN again.......to haunt the BROWNS we'll see.

Yeah... that stint in Cinci killed us...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Actually, I think Munchak could still be a good HC.    He had about a .500 record at Tennessee......and had  shite at QB.    Jake Locker I believe. 

Probably a better example would have been Dick LeBeau. 

10 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I agree, but I don't believe by any means that he is one of them. 

He is the worst HC in NFL history and he hasn't earned any sympathy from his colleagues but Marvin Lewis. That should tell you something. 

14 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Great hire with Hue ;) 

I’m sure the vets will love his load management/ time off tactics in training camp.  

Not sure Hue and Tomlin would see eye to eye on that subject 

Hue's X's and O's isn't in question.  

His ability to apply that to his personnel's ability however, very much is.

Say for instance running empty sets from your own 2 in a 1 score game when you're rolling with a rookie QB who has turnover issues and a backup LT after your future HoFer is hurt.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

His ability to apply that to his personnel's ability however, very much is.

As is his ability to "play well with others."

So on and off the field he is a liability.

• Upvote 1

Matt Stafford and the Lions have decided to part ways, Detroit is going to trade the former #1 overall pick. 

Indianapolis is an obvious landing spot, but could the Steelers be interested? He'd be a younger upgrade over Ben. (He's 32)

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Matt Stafford and the Lions have decided to part ways, Detroit is going to trade the former #1 overall pick. 

Indianapolis is an obvious landing spot, but could the Steelers be interested? He'd be a younger upgrade over Ben. (He's 32)

Link?  

If so....that would make both Stafford and Watson two top QBs changing teams.  

More than the Steelers, I would see Stafford going to perhaps New England...and as you say, the Colts.   Broncos maybe?

How about a Stafford for Watson trade?    Though, I think Watson has a no trade clause which he must waive for a trade to go through, and I don't think he would accept a trade to Detroit. 

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The ONLY way this happens is obviously if Ben retires and i sincerely doubt he will.

6 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

The ONLY way this happens is obviously if Ben retires and i sincerely doubt he will.

Of course. 

Though, again.....the Steelers may want him to go....voluntarily or not.    

Even if they cut him.....doesn't Stafford have a current significant contract that they would have to absorb....and which they really cannot...given the cap situation? 

30 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Is there any chance at all that the Steelers kind of push Ben out the door so they can get Stafford? 

He'd give them another 3-5 years minimum to not have to worry about drafting and grooming a QB.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Is there any chance at all that the Steelers kind of push Ben out the door so they can get Stafford? 

He'd give them another 3-5 years minimum to not have to worry about drafting and grooming a QB.

I don''t think so no.  They are going to allow him to leave on his terms I assume and I'm fine with it. 

9 hours ago, Axe said:

Dwayne Haskins = Cardale Jones = JaMarcus  Russell... Glad they did it :D

Yeah, no, no and no other than skin color.

Cardale has all the physical talent and by accounts the work ethic, he just doesn't have the eyes.  Dwayne has the physical and mental talent, just not the work ethic.  Jamarcus had a cannon, no touch, no mental game and was obviously incredibly lazy.

52 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

and was obviously incredibly lazy.

It's the curse of the incredibly gifted athlete.

So much success comes so easily that working at their play isn't required. So they never learn how to... happens to many players... at many positions, but none more spectacularly than QBs. From JaMarcus to Leaf in the extreme to Jeff George and Leinart in the less extreme to a group who succeeded, but still left plenty of achievement on the table. Namath strikes me as being in the latter group.

So many who are less gifted surpass them... Sipe, Kosar, Brees, even Baker and arguably Brady, Montana.

When gifts are paired with work ethic, then you have the very special... Manning, Elway, Luck, Mahomes, Rodgers, Big Ben...

However, I don't think players are fated to stay in one group. Some develop good or better study-habits that elevate their games. We may be seeing this with Allen in BUF.

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2021 at 2:40 AM, Vagitron said:

He will be back and I highly doubt he's paid what he's owed.  If he really wants guys like juju back he's going to need to sign an extension on a qualifying level with voidable years and bring his hit down. Tomlin is also doing these hires in the right way, bringing in a line coach before he hires an OC to make sure they jive and the candidates are pretty good.  Fraley for the line and possibly pep hamilton at OC.  Ben has already said he wants to be back so the only way he doesn't return is if the Steelers don't want him. 

Emmm, doesn't sound good. 

The fact is the Steelers have a number of issues for next season,  many of which have been discussed this morning on the TV sports talk shows:

1. There in Ben Rs salary.  He is set to make  41 million.   He says he is willing to take a massive pay cut.   Per what I heard,  per whatever rules,  the least that he can take is  23 million.**  But apparently even doing that would still put them  at least  14 million  over the cap...and they would have to trim to get down to there. 

2.  They may do that by the following:   They  may lose all of the following for next year:  Conner,  Dupree,  Smith-Shuster who are Free Agents.  Letting them go would mean losing those salaries. BUT if they want to keep TJ  Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick in the future it is time to sign them to extensions,  which they may not be able to do with that cap space even if  BR cuts his salary to the 23 million. 

***I also hear that the NFLPA may intervene and say:  BR, no way should you even think of taking that kind of a cut.  They don't want to see QBs taking massive pay cuts. Of course, they may not care that if he is cut outright that he could go from  41 million to -0-.   After all, if they did cut BR...who is going to sign him....in this atmosphere of many, many other younger QBs being available.   He would probably have to retire. 

3. They may be losing a chunk of their O-Line and have to rebuild there.  Pouncey may retire.  Villanueva may be gone.   They have a rebuilding job there......and I think most people say that is not what you want to do with a 40 year old QB.

4.  BR's  skill set, even if they find a way to bring him back, is questionable.   He no longer has the pocket mobility to avoid tacklers, nor can he shed those tacklers like he could when he was younger  where he was one of the best ever at that.  Also, as one guy on TV  described it :  He has become Checkdown Charlie.   He can rarely spread the field with downfield passes like he once could. 

5. Should they punt on BR?  Let him go and go after another QB?    Problem is they are NOT in a position to go after the two primary guys that may be available in a trade, either Watson or Stafford. Not and keep a team around them.  No cap space.  Plus, they don't have the resources.  They would probably have to trade some of their top assets:  Watt/Fitzpatrick/Claypool,  plus multiple first round picks to get either of them.  And what top FA QB can they sign?   Prescott could ask like  35 million.  They would have to come in around that  23 mill figure to get a QB...and the top FAs will go for far more.  And if they do punt on BR....do they decide to "rebuild"?   Do they  give a chance to either Rudolph or Haskins who they have now?  Do they draft a first round QB?   

6.  They don't have  a running game to speak of.  Conner may be gone and wasn't all that to begin with.  They have a promising young guy from Maryland...McFarland,  plus they have Snell and Samuels.  Meh to those two.  They likely will have to get lucky in the draft in a lower round.

7. Does Joe Haden have anything left?   They have Minkah, but beyond that?  again, meh.