THE BROWNS BOARD

Quarterback Merry Go Round

The Gipper

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

It makes sense to me.  I like the Falcons, so I follow them a bit.

My thinking is why wait until you absolutely need a QB, or any position, when you are in a position to grab that position?  Sure, if Ryan was 27, you don't, but he isn't.  I don't think many are now complaining about the Packers selecting Rodgers when they did, or SF trading for Steve Young.

Just because a team selects a player doesn't mean they are ready to move on from the incumbent.  To me it's called planning ahead.

Yes,  but often the incumbent QB gets all butthurt when the team tries to do some future planning.  See:  Packers/Rodgers. 

So.   QB Scorecard.   Teams that could   have a change at QB.......later to be filled in with who they did get:

1. Colts

2. Saints

3. Texans

4. Lions.....Jared Goff....to Lions in trade with Rams

5. Cowboys

6. Bears

7. Jaguars.....belief is that  Trevor Lawrence will be the guy...noting official until the draft. 

8. Patriots

9. Broncos

10.  Washington

11. Eagles

12. Panthers

13. Dolphins

14. Falcons

15. 49ers

16. Steelers

17.  Packers

18. Rams?  Matt Stafford to Rams in trade for Goff.

Over half the teams in the league. 

Note...this does not include Tampa whom we all believe will have stability with a 44 year old QB at the helm. 

So, look at it another way:  which teams do NOT have an issue at QB?  By division:

AFCE:  Only Buffalo with Josh Allen

AFCS:  Only  Tennessee with Ryan Tannehill

AFCN:  Browns/Mayfield;  Bengals/Burrow;  Ravens/Jackson

AFCW:  Chiefs/Mahomes;   Chargers/Herbert;   RAiders/Carr??

NFCE: only Giants/Jones

NFCS: Only Tampa Bay/Brady

NFCN:  Only Vikings/Cousins

NFCW:  Seattle/Wilson;   Arizona/Murray

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So.   QB Scorecard.   Teams that could   have a change at QB.......later to be filled in with who they did get:

1. Colts

2. Saints

3. Texans

4. Lions

5. Cowboys

6. Bears

7. Jaguars.....belief is that  Trevor Lawrence will be the guy...noting official until the draft. 

8. Patriots

9. Broncos

10.  Washington

11. Eagles

12. Panthers

13. Dolphins

14. Falcons

15. 49ers

16. Steelers

17.  Packers

18. Rams? 

Over half the teams in the league. 

Note...this does not include Tampa whom we all believe will have stability with a 44 year old QB at the helm. 

I can tell you with 100 percent certainty who will be quarterbacking the Packers and Cowboys.

Z

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Zombo said:

I can tell you with 100 percent certainty who will be quarterbacking the Packers and Cowboys.

Z

I don't know that I can say 100%....but certainly the Packers would be foolish to trade Rodgers.  Its just that he himself is the one making noises.

Also, consider this on Prescott and the Cowboys.  He WILL be a free agent as of the beginning of the FA season....unless the Cowboys either reach an agreement with him....or they Franchise Tag him at the apparent cost of  37 million dollars for the 2021 season.  I think it is that price tag for him that has been the stumbling block so far in getting him signed.  Dallas may not want to do that.  They have seemed reluctant to do so so far.   And looking on both sides of that coin:  with so many QB openings, Dak may decide he would want to test that market; and Dallas may want to explore alternatives.  

So, I do think you are on more solid ground with GB than with Dallas. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

OK, not Browns related. But will someone please explain to me- WHY when all the (expert) talking heads are discussing possible landing spots for Watson- nary a peep about the Patriots making a move for him?  

I totally get the Colts would love to have him with Rivers retiring, but I can't see Houston being willing to trade him within the division. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So, look at it another way:  which teams do NOT have an issue at QB?  By division:

AFCE:  Only Buffalo with Josh Allen

AFCS:  Only  Tennessee with Ryan Tannehill

AFCN:  Browns/Mayfield;  Bengals/Burrow;  Ravens/Jackson

AFCW:  Chiefs/Mahomes;   Chargers/Herbert;   Raiders/Carr??

NFCE: only Giants/Jones

NFCS: Only Tampa Bay/Brady

NFCN:  Only Vikings/Cousins

NFCW:  Seattle/Wilson;   Arizona/Murray

I'll agree with Zombo on this 100%. Barring a great disturbance in the Force, Rodgers and Prescott will be the starting QBs on their respective teams. 

46 minutes ago, hoorta said:

OK, not Browns related. But will someone please explain to me- WHY when all the (expert) talking heads are discussing possible landing spots for Watson- nary a peep about the Patriots making a move for him?  

I totally get the Colts would love to have him with Rivers retiring, but I can't see Houston being willing to trade him within the division. 

More talk has been of Stafford going to the Colts.   

13 hours ago, ballpeen said:

It makes sense to me.  I like the Falcons, so I follow them a bit.

My thinking is why wait until you absolutely need a QB, or any position, when you are in a position to grab that position?  Sure, if Ryan was 27, you don't, but he isn't.  I don't think many are now complaining about the Packers selecting Rodgers when they did, or SF trading for Steve Young.

Just because a team selects a player doesn't mean they are ready to move on from the incumbent.  To me it's called planning ahead.

Except Rogers wasn't selected 4, he dropped a lot and the value was too great to pass up, they got lucky. I guess it depends on how much you think Ryan has left, it you think he has 4 or more years left I pass on a QB and improve the team. The Falcons played better the 2nd half of the season so they may had a quick rebound in order. If they could have one fall to the them in round 2 that would be a different calculus.

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know that I can say 100%....but certainly the Packers would be foolish to trade Rodgers.  Its just that he himself is the one making noises.

Also, consider this on Prescott and the Cowboys.  He WILL be a free agent as of the beginning of the FA season....unless the Cowboys either reach an agreement with him....or they Franchise Tag him at the apparent cost of  37 million dollars for the 2021 season.  I think it is that price tag for him that has been the stumbling block so far in getting him signed.  Dallas may not want to do that.  They have seemed reluctant to do so so far.   And looking on both sides of that coin:  with so many QB openings, Dak may decide he would want to test that market; and Dallas may want to explore alternatives.  

So, I do think you are on more solid ground with GB than with Dallas. 

Rodgers is coming back. Cowboys aren't letting Zak go.

Zombo

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

More talk has been of Stafford going to the Colts.   

That makes a ton of sense. Depends on how much the Lions would want. 

More dum-dum emanating from Houston. What it Watson decides to give them the finger and hold out?  https://www.nfl.com/news/texans-gm-nick-caserio-zero-interest-in-trading-deshaun-watson 

On 1/28/2021 at 1:48 AM, Nero said:

About Stafford, he is one of my favorite QBs. I love his attitude and he is tough as nails. He hasn't missed many games and has played through many injuries. 

I think he has never been the main problem for the low performance by the Lion's and whoever gets him will have a reliable QB. I don't know about the contract, but I wouldn't like seeing him go if I were a Lions fan. 

I might be mistaken, though. 

Agree for the most part, but I have never thought of Stafford as "that guy". The QB that can close the deal.

Always thought he was in that Fool's Gold category.

On 1/28/2021 at 4:47 AM, ballpeen said:

Have I ever mentioned that you always have to be looking for your next QB?

Seems like I might have, but just not sure... ;)

On 1/28/2021 at 5:04 PM, hoorta said:

I'll agree with Zombo on this 100%. Barring a great disturbance in the Force, Rodgers and Prescott will be the starting QBs on their respective teams. 

Agree on Rodgers... not so sure about Dak.

Besides some bad feelings DAL has significant cap constraints.

• Upvote 1

Washington  supposedly in the market for a QB trade:

As the trade market for prospective quarterbacks starts to heat up this offseason, it’s becoming clear that the Washington Football Team is doing everything they can to be involved. According to a report from ESPN’s Josina Anderson, Washington is willing to deal more than just a 1st-rounder for a veteran quarterback, assuming it is the right deal.

That could mean, Deshaun Watson,.........., or Matt Ryan, or Derek Carr, potentially. A lot of players are on the market and potentially looking for new teams, and we can’t rule out that Washington might not be a good landing spot for any of them.

We’ve gone over what it might take to land some top players like Watson or Stafford (now off the marke)  in the past, and it’s becoming clear that Ron Rivera and his guys are planning to be in the mix.

This is the first time I have heard that Derek Carr could be the subject of a possible trade. 

On 1/28/2021 at 11:58 AM, The Gipper said:

It kind of made me sick to see some Browns fans want Watson on our team. First of all, the guy has TWO reconstructive surgeries on his knees. He holds onto the ball forever. I don't want that. At all. 

My quarterback is on our team. I adored him the second he said he was the man who could fix the Browns, and I stood up for him ALL year. I remember some members of the forum asking me why I was so steadfast in my support of Baker, and if you remember, early on our QB play was a tad iffy. It's incredible to see how he grew and you can just tell people love playing with him. That second Bengals game drove it all home. Man, Baker is so freaking good. 

We've got to pay a BUNCH of people, and unfortunately we can't keep them all. But you know what? Next year everyone will be back, and we can worry about the money later. It's going to be very fun, and we're going to be a BITCH to stop. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2021 at 6:50 PM, The Gipper said:

So, if Zombo is your  Yoda, I guess that makes you  Obi Wan. 

"Obi Wan? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a longtime."   Just call me Obi-wine Ken-wood-obi.  :D