THE BROWNS BOARD

Quarterback Merry Go Round

The Gipper

We had a thread on NFL Coach/GM Carousel.....why not one on QBs?     I think there will be a lot of movement on the QB front this year. As many as a dozen changes

1.  Phillip Rivers announces retirement from Colts

2. Drew Brees likely to announce retirement from Saints

3. DeShaun Watson makes it clear he wants out of Houston (remains to be seen). 

4.  Matt Stafford actively being shopped by Lions:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30766102/detroit-lions-actively-seek-trade-qb-matthew-stafford-sources-say

5. Dak Prescott situation in Dallas....will he stay or will he go?

6. Chicago situation with Trubisky/Foles  completely up in the air.

7. Jacksonville WILL have a new QB.....assumably Trevor Lawrence

8. Washington QB situation in flux

9. Philadelphia QB situation in flux

10. Jets could move on from Darnod potentially

11. Patriots....likely to have a new QB.

12.  Denver could be in the market for a new QB. 

Anything else? 

More "else":

Carolina should be looking to upgrade from Bridgewater

Miami may not be sold on Tua.......though I think a potential  Tua/Watson trade wholly unlikely

Not that Atlanta would replace him at this point....but the Falcons may want to start grooming a  Matt Ryan replacement.....and in doing so perhaps light a fire under Ryan....ala what Green Bay did with drafting a QB.

SFO, perhaps no longer wholly enamored with Garrapolo. 

Pittsburgh could decide to move on from Roethlisberger. 

That makes half the teams in the NFL as possibles for having a new starting QB next year. 

And now, there is talk that  Aaron Rodgers may want to get out of Green Bay:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/dont-dismiss-the-possibility-that-aaron-rodgers-will-play-elsewhere-in-2021/

And Matt Stafford seems to have his eyes on the Colts:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-matthew-stafford-most-definitely-193253141.html

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

More "else":

Carolina should be looking to upgrade from Bridgewater

Miami may not be sold on Tua.......though I thing potential  Tua/Watson trade wholly unlikely

Not that Atlanta would replace him at this point....but the Falcons may want to start grooming Matt Ryan replacement.....and in doing so perhaps light a fire under Ryan....ala what Green Bay did with drafting a QB.

SFO, perhaps no longer wholly enamored with Garrapolo. 

Pittsburgh could decide to move on from Roethlisberger. 

That makes half the teams in the NFL as possibles for having a new starting QB next year. 

Tua is too noodle armed for my liking... Yeah I'd move on too..

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

It's going to be the whackiest QB Movement offseason in a long time ... and lo and behold, we are one of the "stable franchises"!

Z

NFL players, at least Top QBs, are making like NBA stars now and are able to dictate where they play.   Watson clearly seems that he wants to force his way out of Houston, even though he has numerous years left on his contract;  and now hints that Rodgers may want to do the same even though he has  3 years left.  

And yes, for the Browns...no more of this:  

Browns Quarterback List T-Shirt. Baker Mayfield 1999 Playoffs Jersey  Cleveland | eBay

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

NFL players, at least Top QBs, are making like NBA stars now and are able to dictate where they play.   Watson clearly seems that he wants to force his way out of Houston, even though he has numerous years left on his contract; 

Watson never seemed like a primadonna but obviously he is. 

The guy just signed a 4 year extension (worth $156 million) before last season, which included a $27 million signing bonus. Nobody put a gun to his head, he signed it all on his own. It will indeed be a bad day for the NFL if he pouts his way out of there. 

That hasn't happened a whole lot in the NFL-  keep it that way.

22 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

The guy just signed a 4 year extension (worth $156 million) before last season, which included a $27 million signing bonus. Nobody put a gun to his head, he signed it all on his own. It will indeed be a bad day for the NFL if he pouts his way out of there. 

That hasn't happened a whole lot in the NFL-  keep it that way.

Well, everyone on ESPN and other sports networks seem to be hailing this situation for how good it is that the players are able to now make these dictates like it is some kind of Civil Rights breakthrough. Well,  I am a Liberal and am all for civil rights advances....but that sure as hell is NOT what this is.   This is a guy who thinks he can dictate to his employer....who is paying him the fortune you describe above to play football.  It is a matter of a contract.  I know that the Texans fucked things over with that trade of Hopkins, and Watson has every right to be pissed.....but to claim that he can dictate  who they must hire as GM?  Fuck that.  (and IMO...there may have been a bit of reverse racism involved here with Watson being pissed that they didn't hire a black GM...wanna bet he would not have been so mad if it had been a black..not white GM?).   Houston could obviously say; don't like things?  Well...play, or sit and not get paid. We are not trading you.   I guess who was it?  Leveon Bell did just that?  He was a shell of himself after his holdout from the Steelers...and I don't think he came anywhere near close to what he could have made if he had just played.  

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, everyone on ESPN and other sports networks seem to be hailing this situation for how good it is that the players are able to now make these dictates like it is some kind of Civil Rights breakthrough. Well,  I am a Liberal and am all for civil rights advances....but that sure as hell is NOT what this is.   This is a guy who thinks he can dictate to his employer....who is paying him the fortune you describe above to play football.  It is a matter of a contract. 

Yep, pretty much nailed it. 

A contract is a contract. It's called collective bargaining for a reason. Sure, management basically changed the scenery with the Hopkins trade and the firing of Bill O'Brien, but it's their right to do so. Like I wrote in another thread, management always has the upper hand in a contract (I negotiated many as a union president). 

Maybe an apples-to-oranges comparison here, but it's like LeBron basically telling Gilbert who to sign and waive in his 1st stint here, then he headed to Miami when things didn't work out. At least he was a free agent at the time. Maybe it's closer to the James Harden situation that recently transpired. 

I'm just afraid if Watson gets his way, it will serve precedent and open the floodgates, possibly ruining the NFL. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, everyone on ESPN and other sports networks seem to be hailing this situation for how good it is that the players are able to now make these dictates like it is some kind of Civil Rights breakthrough. Well,  I am a Liberal and am all for civil rights advances....but that sure as hell is NOT what this is.   This is a guy who thinks he can dictate to his employer....who is paying him the fortune you describe above to play football.  It is a matter of a contract.  I know that the Texans fucked things over with that trade of Hopkins, and Watson has every right to be pissed.....but to claim that he can dictate  who they must hire as GM?  Fuck that.  (and IMO...there may have been a bit of reverse racism involved here with Watson being pissed that they didn't hire a black GM...wanna bet he would not have been so mad if it had been a black..not white GM?).   Houston could obviously say; don't like things?  Well...play, or sit and not get paid. We are not trading you.   I guess who was it?  Leveon Bell did just that?  He was a shell of himself after his holdout from the Steelers...and I don't think he came anywhere near close to what he could have made if he had just played.  

I view it completely different (and there has been cases where it has happened, maybe just not as big a name).

But anyway, the way I see it, it's more than just Hopkins, it's more than not hiring "his guy", etc. They specifically ASKED him opinion, i.e. wanted his take, and also had some kind of expensive algorithm to help with their search. And they went against both. But like you said, it's their right.

All I can say is that I would feel disrespected in that circumstance. And from reporting I read (from the top in the know guys), Watson didn't even expect Texans to hire someone he endorsed, but it was the fact they didn't even talk to them. And Gipper, has nothing to do with you or your political views, but that is a HORRIBLE take with regard to wanting someone black, when one of the 2 guys he was reported to wanted Texans to interview (and the one the firm determined was the choice) was Omar Khan. He ISN'T BLACK.

And you also have to factor in how screwed the franchise is with picks, cap, etc., and even factor in what it seems the view of the owner is. 

I don't know that there is really a way to compare the situation with anything, not even another sport. You obviously have a shelf life like in other sports, but in football you also have a greater risk of injury, especially when your team is bad (i.e. OL). 

Pointing out that he signed the contract becomes less substantial when circumstances change afterwards. And it's not like the Texans would be giving him away, it sounds like they would be substantially rewarded and also help the cap space.

51 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I view it completely different (and there has been cases where it has happened, maybe just not as big a name).

But anyway, the way I see it, it's more than just Hopkins, it's more than not hiring "his guy", etc. They specifically ASKED him opinion, i.e. wanted his take, and also had some kind of expensive algorithm to help with their search. And they went against both. But like you said, it's their right.

All I can say is that I would feel disrespected in that circumstance.

Well, as I understand it yes  the Hopkins issue irked him...as it should.  And I don't know if we really know the issue with the GM situation.  He was asked....but then they didn't seem to get his "approval". 

And from reporting I read (from the top in the know guys), Watson didn't even expect Texans to hire someone he endorsed, but it was the fact they didn't even talk to them. And Gipper, has nothing to do with you or your political views, but that is a HORRIBLE take with regard to wanting someone black, when one of the 2 guys he was reported to wanted Texans to interview (and the one the firm determined was the choice) was Omar Khan. He ISN'T BLACK.

Well, I am just going by what I hear, which is that they now feel compelled to hire a black HC  in an attempt to appease him.  (and what? you  think "reverse racism"  cannot exist in some situations like this?)

And you also have to factor in how screwed the franchise is with picks, cap, etc., and even factor in what it seems the view of the owner is. 

Well...there is an issue:   the Texans owner is dead.  And now I believe it is the wife of Bob McNair who is the owner, and their son has a top position.  But, I hear that there is some preacher or somebody like that that has a lot of influence there.  What is up with that? 

I don't know that there is really a way to compare the situation with anything, not even another sport. You obviously have a shelf life like in other sports, but in football you also have a greater risk of injury, especially when your team is bad (i.e. OL). 

I think the Harden thing seems fairly comparable. 

Pointing out that he signed the contract becomes less substantial when circumstances change afterwards. And it's not like the Texans would be giving him away, it sounds like they would be substantially rewarded and also help the cap space.

Well, it is substantial in this respect:  that contract IS enforceable...IF they would want to take a hard line.  He cannot appeal to his union/arbitrator/court or anything to nullify it. But, of course a team doesn't really want an unhappy camper....so, as you say, if the situation is intractable, then they should be able to get a haul for him.  

But from whom?   As noted, I think that they would want to ship him off to the NFC.  His leverage is that he has a no-trade clause and can veto any trade he does not accept.  But they have to make it clear to him that they also have to look after their team's interest, and that may mean a move to the NFC. They may not want him going to the Dolphins or Jets, since those teams could compete with them for a playoff spot. Unless, of course, those teams offer them a massive package to the point where it would be foolish to turn down, even if it means playing in the same conference. 

Plus....I don't think I want him  going to the Dolphins or Jets....because those teams could be competing against the Browns for playoff spots. 

58 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe do a little more research Gipper. 

Sure, Maybe trading Hopkins irked him (it would anyone), but his extension was signed after the trade.

And you are entitled to any opinion you want, but when you have said on here about trusting the guys in the know then you should be held to that standard, not just when it appeases you.

There are many places online you can easily find the timeline for these things. But, in fact it has been said that even if they were to in fact to hire Bienemy (sounds like his choice) that he would still want out.

Now on to the other things, sure a contract is binding, I wasn't questioning that. What I was saying is that his mindset that seems to have changed since he signed the contract could have changed. That seems like a no Brainerd honestly. He wouldn't have signed it if he planned to want out, for whatever reason that is. There are no "Bird Rules" type deals in the NFL, so staying with the Texans doesn't offer him any more money.

And no, James Harden isn't a good answer to me. The ONLY thing you can point to as being similar is wanting to go somewhere with a better chance to win. You obviously missed the ENTIRE point of health etc. There is no greater chance of Harden being hurt in Houston as opposed to Brooklyn, where as in the NFL there certainly is (not Houston in particular). Add to the fact that Houston tried multiple times to find guys to help Harden via big talents, and Texans made TERRIBLE moves. 

And I am sure that if they do get a trade pulled off that they would rather it be NFC, but a lot of things would have to fall that way. 

But I will end with your question about reverse racism. Sure that can be a thing, but as I ALREADY pointed out, and you didn't say minority you said BLACK, that one of the 2 guys he wanted them to INTERVIEW is in fact NOT BLACK. Add that to the fact that we aren't talking about guys who aren't qualified (All 3: Khan, Riddick, and EB are mentioned for multiple jobs each time and certainlyqualified) there is no need to question it being racially motivated.

13 hours ago, Zombo said:

It's going to be the whackiest QB Movement offseason in a long time ... and lo and behold, we are one of the "stable franchises"!

Z

Refreshing isn't it!..

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

Research into what? 

Sure, Maybe trading Hopkins irked him (it would anyone), but his extension was signed after the trade.

And you are entitled to any opinion you want, but when you have said on here about trusting the guys in the know then you should be held to that standard, not just when it appeases you.

Who are the guys in the know and what should I trust them about? 

There are many places online you can easily find the timeline for these things. But, in fact it has been said that even if they were to in fact to hire Bienemy (sounds like his choice) that he would still want out.

I know that. Nevertheless, I think that the Oilers think that by hiring a black coach it could salve some of Watson's wounds.  If they want to speculate about that sort of thing, why shouldn't I? 

Now on to the other things, sure a contract is binding, I wasn't questioning that. What I was saying is that his mindset that seems to have changed since he signed the contract could have changed. That seems like a no Brainerd honestly. He wouldn't have signed it if he planned to want out, for whatever reason that is. There are no "Bird Rules" type deals in the NFL, so staying with the Texans doesn't offer him any more money.

And..so?  What? 

And no, James Harden isn't a good answer to me. The ONLY thing you can point to as being similar is wanting to go somewhere with a better chance to win. You obviously missed the ENTIRE point of health etc. There is no greater chance of Harden being hurt in Houston as opposed to Brooklyn, where as in the NFL there certainly is (not Houston in particular). Add to the fact that Houston tried multiple times to find guys to help Harden via big talents, and Texans made TERRIBLE moves. 

I guess I must have missed the entire point of health.  Whose health?  I have not heard one word about health being a factor in either the Watson nor Harden situation. So, yes, I missed that if that was a thing.  From what I understand it was just pure disgruntledness in both situations...which is why I say Watson and Harden are similar. 

And I am sure that if they do get a trade pulled off that they would rather it be NFC, but a lot of things would have to fall that way. 

But I will end with your question about reverse racism. Sure that can be a thing, but as I ALREADY pointed out, and you didn't say minority you said BLACK, that one of the 2 guys he wanted them to INTERVIEW is in fact NOT BLACK. Add that to the fact that we aren't talking about guys who aren't qualified (All 3: Khan, Riddick, and EB are mentioned for multiple jobs each time and certainlyqualified) there is no need to question it being racially motivated.

Tell that to the people on TV....after all, I didn't pull that out of my ass.  It has been highly implied there that race is an issue in this whole thing.  

18 hours ago, Bob806 said:

See my reply to your Watson post in another thread.

EDIT: ... or Gunz' below...

14 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

They specifically ASKED him opinion, i.e. wanted his take, and also had some kind of expensive algorithm to help with their search. And they went against both. But like you said, it's their right.

All I can say is that I would feel disrespected in that circumstance. And from reporting I read (from the top in the know guys), Watson didn't even expect Texans to hire someone he endorsed, but it was the fact they didn't even talk to them.

14 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Just saw Mel Kiper and the other ESPN talking heads talking about the Falcons drafting a QB at 4

Makes sense... what have they won with Ryan other than another cap strangling contract

Meanwhile SF is sitting out there drooling at the growing, vet, QB buffet.

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Makes sense... what have they won with Ryan other than another cap strangling contract

Meanwhile SF is sitting out there drooling at the growing, vet, QB buffet.

Grop, 29, is 24-8 with a 98.9 QB rating and a 4th Q Super Bowl lead ... May be a case of be careful what you wish for with SF.

Injuries, yes, but any QB from that buffet is subject to the same injuries.

Z

12 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

@GIPPER

There is NO such thing as reverse racism! You are either a racist or not! 

GO BROWNS!!! 

Watson didn't want to pick the skin color of the hires, he wanted his input validated, like he was promised from ownership. 

It's a fucked up organization with clueless ownership and a religious cookoo making decisions and frankly, I'd like to see generational talent like Watson and Watt go somewhere where they have a fighting  chance to compete for championships, because I think things are going to get worse before they get better in Houston.

JJ is welcome to finish his career in Cleveland.

Z

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Watson didn't want to pick the skin color of the hires, he wanted his input validated, like he was promised from ownership. 

It's a fucked up organization with clueless ownership and a religious cookoo making decisions and frankly, I'd like to see generational talent like Watson and Watt go somewhere where they have a fighting  chance to compete for championships, because I think things are going to get worse before they get better in Houston.

JJ is welcome to finish his career in Cleveland.

Z

Well....we don't call them the DumbAss Texans for nothing.

The Oilers should have never left Houston.    But I am not really sure that Bud Adams....and now his daughter were/are any better than the DATs ownership...but probably.

By the way....given this topic:    Have the Browns owners gotten a lot smarter lately? 

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....we don't call them the DumbAss Texans for nothing.

The Oilers should have never left Houston.    But I am not really sure that Bud Adams....and now his daughter were/are any better than the DATs ownership...but probably.

By the way....given this topic:    Have the Browns owners gotten a lot smarter lately? 

I don't know if you have a mouse in your pocket, but you are the only one that calls them that.

As for the for the Haslems, they have made better decisions and hires, and I think that came with experience,  they were already plenty smart.

Z

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

I don't know if you have a mouse in your pocket, but you are the only one that calls them that.

Actually  a lot of people have  called them that here.  I did not make up that name for them. 

As for the for the Haslems, they have made better decisions and hires, and I think that came with experience,  they were already plenty smart.

Well, they got smarter with whom they have hired now certainly. 

Z

20 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I Into ALL of it.

But let's just start with you wanting to blame this on Hopkins trade, which was pointed out the extension was signed MONTHS after. Which was the point in the mentioning he doesn't get some kind of better deal by signing that extension.

And sorry Mr. Know it all, have to have some kind of strong opinion on something (even when you don't even know the subject), and refuse to admit anything is wrong with anything, but I REFUSE TO DO YOUR WORK FOR YOU. If you want to learn, go online and find the many articles, reports, etc. on it. It might not make you appear so uninformed.

As for the guys to listen to, I dunno it was within the last month you said multiple times that the "experts" were the only people's opinions you take (aside from yourself I am sure). But of course we already know that you believe you know more than them so don't know why I even bothered.

As for health, no that was not REPORTED anywhere, but it absolutely was in the post you replied to, and one of the reasons why Harden/Watson situation can be viewed differently.

And you honestly have to be the dumbest smart person I have seen. Especially when you contradict yourself in the same post. So you acknowledge that it's reported that Watson wants out even if they hired his choice, yet the Texans may think it could help resolve issues if they did? And if THEY believe that, why shouldn't you????

The way you act, there is no denying why people have said they blocked you. But you won't get away with your idiotic stuff with me Ghoolump (figure it out smart guy, multiple people have said your messages remind of BOTH of them.

Oh, and P.S., if it is the hour that you want to trust the "experts", people in the know, etc. Then Watson preferred destination is the Jets. And wouldn't you know it, their new head coach is NOT BLACK. Since it has been REPORTED that the final 2 for Texans was Bienemy and Frazier, lets assume one gets the job. For your "want for a Black coach" (we won't even mention GM again), he would have to Stay in HOU, Go to Pittsburgh, or Go to Miami. 

So since you went out of your way to want to make it racially motivated (and others besides me on here and certainly almost every report is against that as well), it appears you have a 9.375% chance of even having a conversation of it being about race.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I Into ALL of it.

But let's just start with you wanting to blame this on Hopkins trade, which was pointed out the extension was signed MONTHS after. Which was the point in the mentioning he doesn't get some kind of better deal by signing that extension.

And sorry Mr. Know it all, have to have some kind of strong opinion on something (even when you don't even know the subject), and refuse to admit anything is wrong with anything, but I REFUSE TO DO YOUR WORK FOR YOU. If you want to learn, go online and find the many articles, reports, etc. on it. It might not make you appear so uninformed.

Not asking you to do any work for me.  This is just one of hundreds of football subjects I perhaps discuss on here every day.  Its not worth my time....nor yours to worry so much about it. 

As for the guys to listen to, I dunno it was within the last month you said multiple times that the "experts" were the only people's opinions you take (aside from yourself I am sure). But of course we already know that you believe you know more than them so don't know why I even bothered.

Not sure where you are getting that.  

As for health, no that was not REPORTED anywhere, but it absolutely was in the post you replied to, and one of the reasons why Harden/Watson situation can be viewed differently.

OK, whatever. I must have missed it. 

And you honestly have to be the dumbest smart person I have seen. Especially when you contradict yourself in the same post. So you acknowledge that it's reported that Watson wants out even if they hired his choice, yet the Texans may think it could help resolve issues if they did? And if THEY believe that, why shouldn't you????

I don't know what I believe in this situation...other than that it appears he wants out.  Otherwise I am not privy to anything...and often I am just repeating what I am hearing on TV talk shows.  I am no "insider".  

The way you act, there is no denying why people have said they blocked you. But you won't get away with your idiotic stuff with me Ghoolump (figure it out smart guy, multiple people have said your messages remind of BOTH of them.

Not sure what your obsession is with me.  Other than perhaps you wish to be the purveyor of my ennui. 

Oh, and P.S., if it is the hour that you want to trust the "experts", people in the know, etc. Then Watson preferred destination is the Jets. And wouldn't you know it, their new head coach is NOT BLACK. Since it has been REPORTED that the final 2 for Texans was Bienemy and Frazier, lets assume one gets the job. For your "want for a Black coach" (we won't even mention GM again), he would have to Stay in HOU, Go to Pittsburgh, or Go to Miami. 

I know he would like to go to the Jets.  I heard it on TV.  Saleh is a minority.   Like I said,  I have only been speculating and guessing on his motivation, and repeating what I have heard on TV. 

So since you went out of your way to want to make it racially motivated (and others besides me on here and certainly almost every report is against that as well), it appears you have a 9.375% chance of even having a conversation of it being about race.

Like I said, again...the YOU you refer to is not me, but people on TV I have heard discuss the issue.  (and actually, your math is bad...because I have a 100% chance of having a conversation of it being about race.....after all....that is what much of this conversation with you has been, and to be honest, as far as I can tell, you are the ONLY one on here I am having this conversation with.) 

About Stafford, he is one of my favorite QBs. I love his attitude and he is tough as nails. He hasn't missed many games and has played through many injuries. 

I think he has never been the main problem for the low performance by the Lion's and whoever gets him will have a reliable QB. I don't know about the contract, but I wouldn't like seeing him go if I were a Lions fan. 

I might be mistaken, though. 

On 1/26/2021 at 5:45 PM, Browns149 said:

Just saw Mel Kiper and the other ESPN talking heads talking about the Falcons drafting a QB at 4

It makes sense to me.  I like the Falcons, so I follow them a bit.

My thinking is why wait until you absolutely need a QB, or any position, when you are in a position to grab that position?  Sure, if Ryan was 27, you don't, but he isn't.  I don't think many are now complaining about the Packers selecting Rodgers when they did, or SF trading for Steve Young.

Just because a team selects a player doesn't mean they are ready to move on from the incumbent.  To me it's called planning ahead.