THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Roster Moves 2021

Vambo

I'm still amazed at the situation at ROG. Bitonio is out, and Dunn steps in and rocks. Then he gets hurt and Blake Hance steps right in.

and rocks.

Hance was only signed on Jan 2. From Northwestern. Signed from the Jets practice squad.

That is some serious smart. 6'6", 310. and he went up vs Heyward. that's just crazy.

https://www.nfl.com/news/guy-named-blake-hance-reflects-on-sudden-playing-time-in-browns-wild-card-win-it

and

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/michael-dunn-blake-hance-and-the-improbable-paths-they-took-to-browns-playoff-lo

"It's remarkable," said former Browns LT Joe Thomas, a 10-time Pro Bowler and future Hall of Famer.

"The improbability of what they were able to pull off on offense is insane, especially on the offensive line."

48 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I'm still amazed at the situation at ROG. Bitonio is out, and Dunn steps in and rocks. Then he gets hurt and Blake Hance steps right in.

and rocks.

Rocked is generous... Hance sufficed. PFF grade was 52.0 for the 14 snaps he played.

Lamm... 56.1 on 50 snaps.

While a team is never lucky to lose 2 OL in the same game, at least we lost then on opposite sides of the ball... disperses the weakness throughout the strengths...

• Wills 69.6
  • Tretter 80.5
  • Teller 67.6

As for those wounded Sunday nite... Conklin earned an 82.1 in his 17 snaps and Dunn... 81.0 in his 53 !!!

Your optimism iin Dunn appears to have been justified... :)

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Rocked is generous... Hance sufficed. PFF grade was 52.0 for the 14 snaps he played.

Lamm... 56.1 on 50 snaps.

Interesting thing was both blew assignments on their very first snap (I focused on each).

• Lamm gave up the inside lane to Watt and had to tackle him... holding was called.
  • Hance missed on a chip he should have made to help Tretter on a run and then whiffed at the 2nd level.

Lamm did settle in after that as I watched him for a few plays.

Hance I did not watch after play #1 for him.

But the good news was that neither's bad play called attention to them for the balance of the game...

... although I have to say both need more victory formation work. ;)

FO has been busy since Sunday...

Browns sign 14 players

Cleveland makes roster moves after the conclusion of its 2020 season

Jan 18, 2021 at 04:07 PM

The Cleveland Browns announced they have signed the following 14 players to the reserve/futures list:

• S Elijah Benton (Liberty)
  • WR Ja'Marcus Bradley (Louisiana-Lafayette)
  • TE  Jordan Franks (Central Florida)
  • CB A.J. Green (Oklahoma State)
  • G Cordel Iwuagwu (Texas Christian)
  • QB Kyle Lauletta (Richmond)
  • DE Cameron Malveaux (Houston)
  • TE Kyle Markway (South Carolina)
  • K Matt McCrane (Kansas State)
  • LB Montrel Meander (Grambling State)
  • C Javon Patterson (Mississippi)
  • FB Johnny Stanton (UNLV)

ANd in case you need the refresher I did...

Everything You Need to Know About NFL Futures Contracts

Ty Schalter - February 4, 2014

The phrase "futures contract" sounds like it involves investors, day traders, gold bars and pork bellies. In the NFL, though, a futures contract isn't anything like Arian Foster's misguided attempt to sell stock in himself.

Instead, NFL teams use futures contracts to claim the rights to players they think will be able to make some noise in the upcoming season.

Just after the 2013 regular season ended, clubs started signing futures contracts like crazy, whether they were practicing for the playoffs or taking part in their local golf league.

What are futures contracts, how do they work and which players have been signed to them?

Here's everything you need to know about these deals and how they'll impact your favorite team this offseason.

What's a Futures Contract?

It's the same as a regular active-roster contract, with the regular rules for minimum veteran salaries, cap charges, signing bonuses, etc. The only difference is that it doesn't take effect until the start of the next League Year (this year, that's March 11 at 4 p.m, per CBS Sports).

Teams can sign players to futures contracts as soon as the previous regular season is over, but the contract won't count against the salary cap or 53-man limit. Instead, it'll count against the salary cap and 90-man camp limit of the following season.

In the meantime, the player goes on the reserve/futures list and can't be signed by any other team.

Who's Eligible for a Futures Contract?

Any player who wasn't on an active roster at the end of the outgoing regular season, according to Andrew Brandt of NationalFootballPost.com. So, if a player was an unrestricted free agent or on any team's practice squad, after Week 17, they can be signed to a futures contract.

Here's the rub of the futures contract: For the most part, they're used on players who weren't quite good enough to justify an active roster spot this season but who teams think just might be worth an active roster spot next season. In many cases, this means teams locking up players currently on their own practice squad or another team's.

Brandt explained that this is a great way of locking up talented young guys on the cusp of breaking out. When he was vice president of the Green Bay Packers, he signed defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins, now of the New York Giants, to a futures deal.

Since practice-squad players can be poached by any team willing to sign them to an active contract, a futures deal ensures they'll be in the fold once OTAs and training camp roll around—peace of mind for front offices that would rather be concentrating on keeping its top talent and wooing key veterans at the start of free agency, not scrapping over players who may not make the team.

There's no limit to how many futures contracts a team can sign, as long as it will be under the 90-man roster cap at the beginning of the league year.

(More at https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947667-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nfl-futures-contracts )

Signed another one...

The Cleveland Browns have signed RB John Kelly to the reserve/futures list:

Kelly spent the entire 2020 season on the Browns' practice squad. He is the 15th player signed to the reserve/futures list since Monday.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-sign-rb-john-kelly

Another one...

Browns sign WR Ryan Switzer

Cleveland adds another player to the reserve/futures list

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:47 PM

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-sign-wr-ryan-switzer

• Zombo pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 7:25 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Hmmm, two TE's. Very interesting.

Why?  I don't think we are going to keep him.  He is due to make 6 mil next year.  I like the guy, but from a dollar and "sense" standpoint, I doubt we do.

No roster to move.. But Shefty thinks were getting closer to a true total cap number for 2021.. 

Though the NFL’s salary cap is not expected to be officially set until next month, league sources believe it will be *roughly $180-$181 million*. Throughout the past season, many expected it to be around $175 million, but it now is projected to come in slightly higher, per sources.

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

No roster to move.. But Shefty thinks were getting closer to a true total cap number for 2021.. 

So about $6mm extra...

lol...

On 2/6/2021 at 6:56 AM, ballpeen said:

Why?  I don't think we are going to keep him.  He is due to make 6 mil next year.  I like the guy, but from a dollar and "sense" standpoint, I doubt we do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 8:15 AM, Zombo said:

He looked lost out there.

Z

Now I'm Lost.. 🤨.. 9 days later he's back.. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/20/browns-re-sign-robert-jackson/ .. Mary Kay wants answers

On 2/28/2021 at 8:30 AM, gumby73 said:

What grade you giving Andrew Berry in his first Season? 

B...

More than anything else need to see him "do it again" with his focus on the D-side this time...

Loved this bit from the article's opening...

At the end of January of last year, Andrew Berry was announced as the new GM. A new nameplate was ordered for the office door, slid out of its slot which read “John Dorsey” on the exterior, and when flipped over it said “Sashi Brown” in engraved letters.

Party at @jiggins7919 House ! 🏡 ;)... 

With the salary cap set to drop, the #Browns don't plan to tender CB and special teams ace Tavierre Thomas, source said. Thomas would've been a restricted free agent. Instead, he'll hit the market. Look for similar moves elsewhere.

• Like 1