THE BROWNS BOARD

***DIVISIONAL ROUND: Browns AT Chiefs Gameday Thread***

Nero

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The issue is when your explosive plays given up rises commensurately with the blitz rate.    When the Browns sent 5 men or more this year, the pressure rate increase was marginal at best.   So if my return on investment isn't worth it, then I'm kind of fucked... no?

Absolutely... but the less frequent the blitz the more effective it should be... element of surprise and all that.

But surprise is simply not enough. You've got to disguise and design to generate a free runner... and that free runner has to be fast, yet come under control.

Excepting maybe Phillips, that combo is not in our LB room and excepting Ward, Harrison and maybe Mitchell, it is not in our 2ndary either. Not to mention that you'd prefer not to blitz one of your best cover guys.

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's funny because he does some good things but he chokes too often in critical scenarios. I can't get over the 4th down numbers, the 3rd and 10 against McSorely, and the 3rd and longs with Henne. I'm not sure he has what it takes. 

If we believe we can improve upon Joe Woods, then I am sure we will, but as has been known since before our game one kickoff, we were "making do" on our D-side this season.

The real question is what path did our D follow threw this season? Did it improve or did it decline? The answers are made more difficult to determine by Covid atop the usual injury impacts, but I don't think they are unknowable.

I'm satisfied that the improvement was there. So personally I have no issue with us seeing what Woods can do with more tools and a full TC and preseason to learn what his squad can and cannot do.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I would think you of all people would know how to spell Vagisil...

😉

I'm actually talking about a real medical event tho. The chiefs are saying pinched nerve and his wooziness is attributed to that and not his head hitting the ground SO your take that it didn't hit very hard is accurate. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527#:~:text=Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-,blood pressure to drop suddenly.

32 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

😉

I'm actually talking about a real medical event tho. The chiefs are saying pinched nerve and his wooziness is attributed to that and not his head hitting the ground SO your take that it didn't hit very hard is accurate. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527#:~:text=Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-,blood pressure to drop suddenly.

And Mahomes one was minor. I have seen a serious vasovagal and it is pretty scary. 

21 hours ago, Vagitron said:

😉

Well... since you said I was right about something... now you have my attention. ;)

truth was I did not know what vasovagal (syncope) was. Now I do...

image.png.3a2a1daf2523744872582e138b5c6b2d.png

So now the question is what prompted it? Only thing I know is Mahommes looked "scared" as his head was approaching the ground. Have to add that does not seem consistent with all the times I've seen him take hits. Then again he does not take them very often... minds eye is now replaying a lot of slides and scampers OB.

So I guess it is possible that this time he knew he was not in control of what was coming at him... and it triggered the reaction.

At any rate it's an interesting speculation that I am sure teams across the league will be considering. Not that a QB who doesn't like to be hit is anything new.

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

And Mahomes one was minor. I have seen a serious vasovagal and it is pretty scary. 

Do the symptoms include the... I want to say "planking, but I know that's wrong... the involuntary arm and leg extending that the Dr. that ATOM posted was talking about?

EDIT: Term was "fencing response" and it was Nero that made the original post which ATOM quoted.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Pretty sure that would constitute "too many men on the field."

No wonder those 30-something riders get pissed.

Knee was down... ground knocked the ball loose momentarily and Mahommes reflexively pulled it back to him.

Last part was actually quite impressive considering the stars he was seeing at that moment.

Crazy that a guy that everyone claims is so good damn near knocked himself out of the game trying to slide... 

Mahomes is good QB without a doubt but I'd take Baker Mayfield over him everyday of the week. 

If it was vasovagal, I'd say he would have been KO'd. 

My sister had one when my brother in law was dry needling her. She said "I'm not OK" and a milisecond later she was switched off as a computer. Instant KO. We had to run to hold her because she almost hits badly with a table. 

No way Mahomes doesn't lose conscience even for a second, and then isn't able to return for 2 quarters. My sister in half an hour was back to nromal and had it way worse. 

Sutterer explaination that it is a concussion produced by a fast neck movement sounds more legit to me, looking at the reaction of the left side of his body. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well I see time away from the board hasn't changed anything for PoG. 

Good lord. 

I sit here in stunned disbelief.  I had to actually grab the devil lettuce and take a rip to ponder it again in an effort to just understand.  I'm still at a loss. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Nero said:

If it was vasovagal, I'd say he would have been KO'd. 

My sister had one when my brother in law was dry needling her. She said "I'm not OK" and a milisecond later she was switched off as a computer. Instant KO. We had to run to hold her because she almost hits badly with a table. 

No way Mahomes doesn't lose conscience even for a second, and then isn't able to return for 2 quarters. My sister in half an hour was back to nromal and had it way worse. 

Sutterer explaination that it is a concussion produced by a fast neck movement sounds more legit to me, looking at the reaction of the left side of his body. 

I mean something had to have happened for him to not go into protocol and the team to label it a pinched nerve.  I only offered that diagnosis after reading a tweet from a surgeon that writes for a steeler site i follow.  I had no idea what the hell it was up until that point. Pro athletes + adrenaline maybe it didn't take him out for that reason?

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Do the symptoms include the... I want to say "planking, but I know that's wrong... the involuntary arm and leg extending that the Dr. that ATOM posted was talking about?

EDIT: Term was "fencing response" and it was Nero that made the original post which ATOM quoted.

I have no clue. The one serious one I witnessed was after someone had an IV put in, eyes rolled back of head and like passed out and whole body tensed up. Somewhat like a seizure, without the shake. About 30 seconds later back to normal.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well I see time away from the board hasn't changed anything for PoG. 

Good lord. 

and maybe i'm just baked but i read his little myspace bio under is avatar and it has me in my feelings. I'm ready to get creative!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

There was actually almost 2 mins left.  And We saw some big chunk pass plays.  

I’m going to say 20%-25%

Wrong dude.  4th down play was snapped at 1:16, & 5 secs on play clock. Max time after punt would have been 65 seconds.   

4 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I mean something had to have happened for him to not go into protocol and the team to label it a pinched nerve.  I only offered that diagnosis after reading a tweet from a surgeon that writes for a steeler site i follow.  I had no idea what the hell it was up until that point. Pro athletes + adrenaline maybe it didn't take him out for that reason?

He went into protocol, and a vasovagal syncop I'd say is not like a muscle injury that the adrenaline and energy can work around. It is closer to a suckerpunch in the liver that turns you off.

What Mahomes had was closer to a KO by a hook to the head: fast neck movement, resulting in a self defense ('fencing') position reaction by the body. 

I think that one way or another they'll work around the concussion protocol so the NFL playoffs don't go Mahomes-less. Maybe the vasovagal historyline is there for that reason. First one to mention it was a KC journalist and even Rapaport was surprised by that because he knew nothing... 

PS: my English vocabulary is lacking at medicine+boxing so I hope I explained myself. 

6 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Mahomes is good QB without a doubt but I'd take Baker Mayfield over him everyday of the week. 

I missed this comment.

Thank you for always bringing the comical relief. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nero said:

Sutterer explaination that it is a concussion produced by a fast neck movement

Except for no such thing being in evidence... sure...

8 hours ago, Vagitron said:

and maybe i'm just baked but i read his little myspace bio under is avatar and it has me in my feelings. I'm ready to get creative! 

First, "it has me in my feelings"??? Yeah, I'd say "baked".

Second, that creativity has to include some homage to you-know-who. :D

i'm very happy the Browns had a winning season, long over due. And the Chiefs game was looking to be a blowout until P. Mahomes was declared out for the game. Then we got robbed on the No Helmet to helmet contact hit at the one yard line that caused a fumble that resulted a touchback and gave the ball back to the Chiefs at the 20. TOTALLY got cheated. We could have taken the lead with a possible TD and may have won the game.

58 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Except for no such thing being in evidence... sure...

There's no evidence but the video itself.

The neck goes down fast because as Wilson is tackling him, Mahomes is going down thus the defenders arm holds him around the neck and is going down fast, Mack Wilson is noy a tiny guy. 

It's similar to having a car accident with the seat belt on, the difference being you have a NFL linebacker's arm around your neck... 

25 minutes ago, Nero said:

The neck goes down fast

Sorry... I see the neck at an angle to the spine from the beginning of the "takedown" to after the so-called impact with the ground that does not change.

I simply see no acceleration or deceleration of PMah's head that would cause his brain to impact his skull.

I thought he got choked out just a tad myself.  And you would have wobbly knees after that too.  I’ve seen this in wrestling (not the fake stuff) from time to time. If you are gasping for air or slightly winded it doesn’t take that much time to have an arm or hand slapped around your neck or in the right spot.  

2 hours ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

i'm very happy the Browns had a winning season, long over due. And the Chiefs game was looking to be a blowout until P. Mahomes was declared out for the game. Then we got robbed on the No Helmet to helmet contact hit at the one yard line that caused a fumble that resulted a touchback and gave the ball back to the Chiefs at the 20. TOTALLY got cheated. We could have taken the lead with a possible TD and may have won the game.

defense lost the game.....the helmet to helmet should have been called but i don't, in my opinion was the reason we lost.....we were given a gift from the good lord above and we could not capitalize on it.....the d let a backup qb scramble for 13 and a half yds......setting up the game winning pass completion....i believe if we held them there baker would have won the game.....the 13 yd scramble was the reason we lost.....

On 1/18/2021 at 12:47 PM, SdBacker80 said:

I have to say i have never in my life seen the middle of the field open like we’ve had all year and just 4 guys after the passer. 

anyone with me here? 

we can't continue to play this kind of d and expect a sb appearance....yeah, i agree with you.....even the so called good teams we beat, we had hugh leads and let them right back in the game....tennessee.....what was it...38-3 and the game came down to an on side kick.....i don't know if it was because of the injuries to delpit and williams or if joe just sucks big time as dc....either way whether its personnel or the dc....something has to change...

On 1/17/2021 at 11:13 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

The throw too. Talk about game of inches. He had to fully extend  to have a chance with his DB jacket on. I think the ball grazed the defender’s hand or came really really close. 

Some props to Njoku too who seemed to play the part of TE 1 today.

he had some nice catches and he actually made some nice blocks.....