THE BROWNS BOARD

***DIVISIONAL ROUND: Browns AT Chiefs Gameday Thread***

Nero

Kansas City.

Weather forecast for kickoff is 37F, 3ºC, with 0% precipitation probability and 14mph (23kmh) winds. Perfect January Football weather. 

The #1 seed and defending champions Kansas City Chiefs face after a bye week the #6 seed Cleveland Browns, who will have all of the players that missed last week's game due to COVID-19 back.

But there's something else that the Browns have brought back for this week. For this season, really. And not only the Browns team, but the fandom too:

Pride. 

Only 20 years of turmoil and dumpster fires can make all the NFL world accustomed to say "Same ol' Browns" or even "The Browns is the Browns" to seal any discussion about future hopes or winning chances. Most of us embraced that mentality, and used it as an irrefutable argument that, as subjective as it was, time and time again would prove it's worth. Last week, when the Steelers cut the distance to 12 points, those ghosts came back, and I can't imagine any true Cleveland Brown fan who was completely confident. 'Here we go again'.

Fear is king to those who don't want to risk growing the slightest of hopes to the possibility of frustration. Fear is an armor that protects us from the humiliation. It festers on the self deprecation. It makes armies crumble and lose battles even before they are fought. 

Today, I have no fear. Because today I'm proud of this team. 

You can't fear a team that hasn't played its starters for 2 weeks. You can't fear losing a game you weren't expected to play to begin with. You can't fear when you've already proven yourself. You can't fear when they can't take anything from you.

I don't think I'm the only one here who feels grateful for this team, for being part of this fandom. The Browns have already sealed a great season that has given pride to a rightfully fearful fandom. An historic season. 

But History is best written on a hard cold field in a January afternoon. 

So I ask you, fearless Browns fans: 

Why not us? 

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, Nero said:

Kansas City.

Weather forecast for kickoff is 37F, 3ºC, with 0% precipitation probability and 14mph (23kmh) winds. Perfect January Football weather. 

The #1 seed and defending champions Kansas City Chiefs face after a bye week the #6 seed Cleveland Browns, who will have all of the players that missed last week's game due to COVID-19 back.

But there's something else that the Browns have brought back for this week. For this season, really. And not only the Browns team, but the fandom too:

Pride. 

Only 20 years of turmoil and dumpster fires can make all the NFL world accustomed to say "Same ol' Browns" or even "The Browns is the Browns" to seal any discussion about future hopes or winning chances. Most of us embraced that mentality, and used it as an irrefutable argument that, as subjective as it was, time and time again would prove it's worth. Last week, when the Steelers cut the distance to 12 points, those ghosts came back, and I can't imagine any true Cleveland Brown fan who was completely confident. 'Here we go again'.

Fear is king to those who don't want to risk growing the slightest of hopes to the possibility of frustration. Fear is an armor that protects us from the humiliation. It festers on the self deprecation. It makes armies crumble and lose battles even before they are fought. 

Today, I have no fear. Because today I'm proud of this team. 

You can't fear a team that hasn't played its starters for 2 weeks. You can't fear losing a game you weren't expected to play to begin with. You can't fear when you've already proven yourself. You can't fear when they can't take anything from you.

I don't think I'm the only one here who feels grateful for this team, for being part of this fandom. The Browns have already sealed a great season that has given pride to a rightfully fearful fandom. An historic season. 

But History is best written on a hard cold field in a January afternoon. 

So I ask you, fearless Browns fans: 

Why not us? 

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's do this, you PANCAKE-EATING MOTHERFUCKERS!!

Z

• Upvote 2

Protect the ball and run the rock. 

Everyone stay dialed in and let's avoid any lulls in the offense.

I'm awfully proud of you Browns... don't let us down now. 

Go get some! 

• Upvote 3

Old News! Since 1999...3 winning seasons in 2002, 2007 & 2020.. 1 Playoff appearance in 2002........... no fear in this Browns team 💪

#whynotus?.... GO Browns ! !  

11 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Oddly enough l watched this movie earlier this week. I went to Milan, Indiana, the actual school and town it’s based off of and was inspired to watch it. It really is one tiny town. They actually have a small museum dedicated to their 1954 basketball team in town.

Hoosiers... another of the movie stops when I'm channel surfing late at nite.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I bet the OP was even more eloquent in Spanish....

.. if that's possible.

That was one inspired post, Nero...

Kudos!

Nero's command of English makes my rusty old Spanish sound like Kindergarten. 🤐😁

THIS is why I am a Browns fan and why I stuck with them through so much shit these past 20 years(new Browns). To get back that feeling from the days of Bernie and Brian Sipe and the rest of those cast of characters..  

This team will already go down in history as one of the best we've ever fielded if not the best(and that is saying something).. But I feel the best is yet to come. WE CAN WIN THIS GAME.. Mark my words..

The Chiefs will come out rusty and we can jump on top of them and get a 7 or 14 point lead.. But don't expect them to fall apart like the Steelers. They will come roaring back and this is where our game plan needs to bend not break...

First, run early and often to limit the number of possessions for Mahomes. Take shots to keep them honest. A Higgins post down the left side and air it out. But then back to the run. Make the 3rd down manageable at less than 4 yards.. Baker has proven he is deadly on those plays. 5 wideouts(with Hunt or Chubb) and spread them out.. Pick them apart.

Defense must submit to their over the top dominance.. KEEP THEM IN FRONT OF US at all costs. Put extra men in the backfield and accept that they will will run and short/medium pass us down the field. Firm up inside the 20 and try and at least get 25 to 30% of their Red Zones to turn into 3 points instead of 7 or 8....  

Control the clock on both sides of the ball.. Make their touchdown drives take longer.. Run the ball on our side and run the clock.. SLOW THEM DOWN to our speed instead of trying to match them at theirs.   We will lose a shootout just like we did against the Ravens.... CONTROL the game and we win.

And if by some miracle OBJ is reading things on our humble board.. You are a Brown through and through. You've done the one thing you needed to do for this team. Be a quiet supporter.. You are a big reason we are here and I for one won't forget you... I hope they bring you back next year and you are that last piece of the offense that either brings us back to a Super Bowl(God willing) or takes us there next year.....

GO BROWNS.. You are already winners....

This is one of the few games where I prefer receiving the ball first. Make a long drive, put some points on the board. Let Mahomes & company cool down in the bench.

Run the ball down their throats all game long and keep the ball. No mistakes. 

I'm pumped up.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

This is one of the few games where I prefer receiving the ball first. Make a long drive, put some points on the board. Let Mahomes & company cool down in the bench.

Run through their throats all game long and keep the ball. No mistakes. 

I'm pumped up.  

Two top gun quarterbacks in this one, does the last team with the ball 🏈 win it ?

Pumped up, oh yeah !

GO BROWNS, playoff football football......baby !

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Nero's command of English

And in writing to boot...

In my European continent travels I've encountered many English speakers who had a great command of our language, but can't recall any who professed to be as fluent in writing.

As I was saying... ;)

31 minutes ago, Nero said:

Run (the ball) through down their throats

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And in writing to boot...

In my European continent travels I've encountered many English speakers who had a great command of our language, but can't recall any who professed to be as fluent in writing.

To be fair, I probably write better than I speak. I never get to practise my English speaking skills. 

16 minutes ago, Nero said:

To be fair, I probably write better than I speak. I never get to practise my English speaking skills. 

Fall, 2021... Cleveland, Ohio... plenty of opportunity to practice... between drinks.

We'll even work on your Brit-spelling bias... or is it "biac"? ;) 

Not to mention hone your football idioms...

31 minutes ago, Nero said:

Run (the ball) through down their throats

Probably my last post before and during the game.

I think we've beaten to death the talks of data, play styles, personnel and execution.   It's been a fun ride win or lose, and I appreciate you guys letting me air my thoughts out on this board.  I'm just ready to see Cleveland football.

To quote Marty Schottenheimer -       

"There's a GLEAM, men....".  

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Fall, 2021... Cleveland, Ohio... plenty of opportunity to practice... between drinks.

We'll even work on your Brit-spelling bias... or is it "biac"? ;) 

Not to mention hone your football idioms...

I'm not going to the USA in some years. Can't afford it. But yeah I'm looking forward to that. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Dammit, we were looking forward to taking you to Taco Bell! 😉

Next 24 hours will be busy sharing likes in the board, so here's your laugh, sir. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

Let's do this, you PANCAKE-EATING MOTHERFUCKERS!!

Z

its on our d.....i am confident in the o......if our d can contain mahommes, we can win ....if he runs wild, we we lose.....if we can only play the way the bills d played last night against jackson.....lets go browns....

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

Next 24 hours will be busy sharing likes in the board, so here's your laugh, sir. 

All jokes aside, finding a "Spanish" restaurant around here is hard. I really want to try paella. 

Looks like there's this place: https://www.yelp.com/biz/sangria-y-tapas-westlake-2