THE BROWNS BOARD

FAKE NEWS - Mitch McConnell denies report - he will not allow impeachment vote

calfoxwc

so the other thread started by Tour is total bs. Pres Trump is not impeached until the vote

happens in the Senate and it's approved. Just more facetious attack crap.

and a federal judge flat says there is NO CONSTITUTIONAL basis for impeaching after a president leaves office.

Mitch McConnell's Office Tells Sean Hannity That the NYT Story On Mitch McConnell Supporting Impeachment Is Wrong; McConnell Delays Senate Trial Until After Inauguration Day

https://redstate.com/streiff/2021/01/13/mcconnell-hannity-impeachment-n309334

President Trump is impeached, though. Impeachment is just a form of indictment and only happens by vote in the House of Representatives. 

According to the Constitution, the charges now go to the Senate for a formal trial and vote for removal from office.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

President Trump is impeached, though. Impeachment is just a form of indictment and only happens by vote in the House of Representatives. 

According to the Constitution, the charges now go to the Senate for a formal trial and vote for removal from office.

No doubt that trial will be 100% Fair

WSS

Actually if Mitch wants to get rid of him via the 14th Amendment, that is a pretty smart move. 50% of the Senate will be Dems plus VP to settle any ties. That way he can get what he wants which is trumpy barred from federal reelection without really having any Republican senator support it. He's a wily old fox.🐾

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

No doubt that trial will be 100% Fair

WSS

It's pretty irrelevant at this point. Removal from office after impeachment requires a two-thirds majority, which Democrats don't have. Plus, the dude is out of office in less than a week anyway, so this whole procedure Congress is doing is pretty pointless.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

It's pretty irrelevant at this point. Removal from office after impeachment requires a two-thirds majority, which Democrats don't have. Plus, the dude is out of office in less than a week anyway, so this whole procedure Congress is doing is pretty pointless.

Why not? Everything else they've done for the last four years has been utterly pointless and it's been applauded by at least half of the country which, by the way, is more than has ever paid attention to them and stroked their egos before, so why not make hay while the sun shines? When the ball is in their court it'll start to go badly for them pretty quickly. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Cysko Kid said:

Why not? Everything else they've done for the last four years has been utterly pointless and it's been applauded by at least half of the country which, by the way, is more than has ever paid attention to them and stroked their egos before, so why not make hay while the sun shines? When the ball is in their court it'll start to go badly for them pretty quickly. 

That's true, I suppose. The only way this country is going to get better is when it hits rock bottom. Just depends on how fast people want to rip that band aid off. 

Personally, I think we're screwed until we get enough States to vote for an Article V Convention to bypass Congress and get some desperately needed amendments to the constitution to begin fixing this mess.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

It could bar him from running for office again and strip him of some of the govt. benefits he'd see as a previous president

Since the 14th Amendment has never been used to oust a sitting president before, constitutional law experts say that this option is unlikely. The amendment could still mean Senators and Congress members that supported the mob's actions could be expelled. Rep. Cori Bush drafted legislation on Monday seeking to hold those individuals accountable.

I just introduced H.Res. 25, which would initiate investigations for removal of the members who attempted to overturn the results of the election and incited a white supremacist attempted coup.

Grateful for the 47 of my colleagues who have co-sponsored this legislation. pic.twitter.com/yuxjHDZfW6

— Congresswoman Cori Bush (@RepCori) January 11, 2021

In short, Congress has the power to expel members, but it would have to come by way of legislation. This means a president would need to sign off on it. Additionally, Congress could remove a member with a two-thirds majority, but this would require Republican support. 

10 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

It could bar him from running for office again and strip him of some of the govt. benefits he'd see as a previous president

What does Section 3 of the 14th Amendment mean?
Amendment XIV, Section 3 prohibits any person who had gone to war against the union or given aid and comfort to the nation's enemies from running for federal or state office, unless Congress by a two-thirds vote specifically permitted it.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

so the other thread started by Tour is total bs. Pres Trump is not impeached until the vote happens in the Senate and it's approved. Just more facetious attack crap.

So Clinton wasn't impeached?

Guess again, Kal....

The United States Constitution provides that the House of Representatives "shall have the sole Power of Impeachment" ( Article I, section 2 ) and that "the Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments…[but] no person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two-thirds of the Members present" ( Article I, section 3 ). The president, vice president, and all civil officers of the United States are subject to impeachment.

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Senate_Impeachment_Role.htm

In other words... because I know you need some help here... an impeachment is the corollary of an indictment and the Senate's trial is... well... the trial.

As for McConnell... yup... now he's not going to reconvene the Senate before the 19th. His Senate until the next day... his choice.

He could have brought it back sooner, but chose not to do so.

MSM has been all over that story all day. You? 4 hours per you time stamp.

So the trial starts on the 19th... Schumer probably gives them the 20th off... for the Inauguration of President-Elect Joe Biden... and then they'll be back at it on the 21st.

Now tell me how once out of office Trump cannot be impeached. I bet you can even "find a judge" with that opinion.

I already have the precedent that says he can be ready and waiting.

4 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

The vote is still recorded.

4 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

I see you already had chased Kal from the thread...

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

The vote is still recorded.

Ok, the vote is recorded. What does said vote actually accomplish in the way of removing Trump from office? Republicans in the Senate won't vote to remove him. The shortest impeachment trial was Trump's 1st one and it took 21 day; Trump is out of office anyway in less than 6 days, so - again - what does all of this Kabuki theater from the Democrats actually accomplish?

7 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Trump is out of office anyway in less than 6 days, so - again - what does all of this Kabuki theater from the Democrats actually accomplish?

Non-Democrat here, but I’ll give you their reasoning.

They want to make sure Trump will not be able to run for any public office again.

Its my belief, they’re scared to death of Trump coming back and winning the 2024 election.

2 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Non-Democrat here, but I’ll give you their reasoning.

They want to make sure Trump will not be able to run for any public office again.

Its my belief, they’re scared to death of Trump coming back and winning the 2024 election.

Trump will be be 78 years old in 2024; I think it's a good policy in general not to vote in geriatrics to positions of high office in the first place. Throw Nancy pelosi into that equation as well.