THE BROWNS BOARD

Soul review

Soul
Disney Pixar
PG.                107 min
I have to admit I was little bit nervous by SOUL the latest animated feature from Disney’s Pixar wing. In today’s climate of re visited Blaxploitation films there’s a tendency to force race into just about everything. That doesn’t mean a quality film is impossible it just means that all too often the story is overburdened by the need for the filmmakers to deliver a political sermon. I should have trusted the people at Pixar who has never been known to play that card at least as far back as I can remember. Anything from Pixar has been cutting edge and groundbreaking and SOULS is no exception. Speaking of groundbreaking the first thing you will notice oh, well maybe the second, is a shift in Pixar’s traditional animation look and feel. I’ll touch Base with you on that in a minute. Jamie Foxx provides the voice of Joe Gardner a good-hearted fellow who teaches Middle School band to inner-city children but his dream his to play piano in a hot jazz band. Joe knocks an audition out of the park and wins the job of his dreams. Elated by the idea of his dreams coming to fruition poor old Joe doesn’t pay attention to traffic and ends up falling down a manhole and finds himself hot some sort of path to the great hereafter. This is where the animation takes it about face into a surrealistic landscape I haven’t seen from Pixar before. Joe refuses to accept his fate and move on to the next level but in doing so he falls down to the very bottom of the continuum and finds himself among millions of other very young soles. The entire process is more than a little bit confusing the dialogue fast-paced and sometimes incomprehensible. Joe and a very young Soul called number 22 (Tina Fey) become intertwined with a cat and come back to earth oh, do I’m not exactly sure why. Of course even though the story doesn’t make a lot of sense it is entertaining at all turns and the ending is an uplifting experience. Even though it’s a bit noisy and nonsensical the cutting edge graphics and an extremely fresh system of storytelling makes it unforgettable. And for what it’s worth, the music is cool too
B+
WSS