THE BROWNS BOARD

Godfather 3 directors cut

The Godfather Coda the death of Michael Corleone
Paramount
R          159 min
I thought I would make a short comment on Francis Ford Coppola reworked version of Godfather 3. For those of us who consider The Godfather Saga at the top, or very near to the top of American Cinema this will be of interest. Ironically Coppola opens with a disclaimer oh, that this is the way he’d Wanted the movie to be cut when it first came out. I can’t imagine why a man with his power it Hollywood wasn’t able to do exactly what he wanted but what the heck.
Well, it’s still the weakest of the trilogy but thanks to more or less emphasis some of the themes it’s substantially more watchable then the 1990 version and 11 minutes shorter.  For instance, there’s less attention paid to the uncomfortable relationship between Vincent Corleone, Michael’s nephew, and Mary his daughter. On the other hand, there is slightly more focus on the rise of one of my favorite characters Vincent within the family as he takes the reins dealing with Joey Zaza and Don Altobello. The relationship between Michael and Kay and their children has a more understandable perspective while some of the more boring and confusing elements of the international business deal and the Catholic Church has been trimmed.
Still the weakest of the trilogy but certainly much better. And I still wish somebody what extend story in the modern times with Andy Garcia

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 2:37 PM, Westside Steve said:

The Godfather Coda the death of Michael Corleone
Paramount
R          159 min
I thought I would make a short comment on Francis Ford Coppola reworked version of Godfather 3. For those of us who consider The Godfather Saga at the top, or very near to the top of American Cinema this will be of interest. Ironically Coppola opens with a disclaimer oh, that this is the way he’d Wanted the movie to be cut when it first came out. I can’t imagine why a man with his power it Hollywood wasn’t able to do exactly what he wanted but what the heck.
Well, it’s still the weakest of the trilogy but thanks to more or less emphasis some of the themes it’s substantially more watchable then the 1990 version and 11 minutes shorter.  For instance, there’s less attention paid to the uncomfortable relationship between Vincent Corleone, Michael’s nephew, and Mary his daughter. On the other hand, there is slightly more focus on the rise of one of my favorite characters Vincent within the family as he takes the reins dealing with Joey Zaza and Don Altobello. The relationship between Michael and Kay and their children has a more understandable perspective while some of the more boring and confusing elements of the international business deal and the Catholic Church has been trimmed.
Still the weakest of the trilogy but certainly much better. And I still wish somebody what extend story in the modern times with Andy Garcia

Yeah... I really wished they had focused on Vito's uprising more in another installment while DeNiro was young.... Garcia was a great choice for the third installment... That said... I enjoyed all 3 movies.. But agree the 3rd the weakest of the 3... But as an Italian-American.. The GF Trilogy is close to my heart... My father told me countless stories and facts about the Mafia you'll never read in any books or see in any movie... And for people who think the Mafia is dead... I gotta newsa for you!... They're not!!... You just think they are... If you ever get to read A Man of Honor: The Joe Bonanno Story... There are clues in that book that tells me the Mafia is not dead... I'll just leave it at that...

11 hours ago, nickers said:

Yeah... I really wished they had focused on Vito's uprising more in another installment while DeNiro was young.... Garcia was a great choice for the third installment... That said... I enjoyed all 3 movies.. But agree the 3rd the weakest of the 3... But as an Italian-American.. The GF Trilogy is close to my heart... My father told me countless stories and facts about the Mafia you'll never read in any books or see in any movie... And for people who think the Mafia is dead... I gotta newsa for you!... They're not!!... You just think they are... If you ever get to read A Man of Honor: The Joe Bonanno Story... There are clues in that book that tells me the Mafia is not dead... I'll just leave it at that...

No, they are not dead.  A bit truncated, but not  morto. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Hey Nick, I thought it was a little bit better still not up to the other 2 by a long shot.

WSS

I saw no difference at all except the intro and the end... otherwise.. it was a complete waste of time