THE BROWNS BOARD

Championships vs Super Bowls

BrownsfaninPa

This is a simple fact to live by. Prior to the 1967 NFL/AFL CHAMPIONSHIP aka Super Bowl 1, The NFL had their final games known as Championship game. Back in the late 40's and through out the 50's and mid 60's, the Browns were a dominating team, winning 8 championships. Since the final game of the season is now called the Super Bowl, many fans don't credit these past championships, well their wrong. The NFL championship game back then is equal to today's Super Bowl. Yes there were less games played way back then, but no matter how you look at it, The Cleveland Browns are NFL Champions, even if there hasn't been a trip to today's Super Bowl.

• Like 1

The Super Bowl is the "NFL Championship Game".   It is just that it has been given a catchy name for marketing purposes. And that did not happen until, I believe after like Super Bowl  4 or 5....they retroactively gave the name Super Bowl to the previous NFL/AFL Championship games.   There have been NFL Championship games.  AFL Championship Games.  AAFC Championship Games.   NFL/AFL Championship games. ....and prior to 1933...no Championship game. 

I'm a long time fan of the NFL, and the Super Bowl is what every team wants to reach every year. All you want is to be called NFL CHAMPIONS. Personally, I don't feel that the S B trophy should be named after anyone. This is also not a world championship. Its only national here in the U.S. We play for the NFL (National Football League) The WLAF was known as The WORLD League of American Football. Meaning the American teams played against other teams from other countries, Germany, Spain, London, Canada,  The title of Lombardi and World Champions should be removed from this trophy, an just keep it what it truly is, NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. And no coach should be labeled on this NFL trophy. The George Halas and Lamar Hunt trophies are different topics.

• Zombo locked this topic
Just now, ATOM said:

it should be called The Paul Brown trophy

fuck lombardi

Vince Lombardi was the superior NFL head coach, and he won the first two Super Bowls.

Paul Brown, though, was the far more innovative head coach. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Vince Lombardi was the superior NFL head coach, and he won the first two Super Bowls.

Paul Brown, though, was the far more innovative head coach. 

why cause he had some crazy one liners like win it for the gipper and take one for the team or what ever that dim witted tooth gapped jerk off said 

screw it call it the SYD trophy 

On 1/13/2021 at 8:34 AM, BrownsfaninPa said:

The Cleveland Browns are NFL Champions,

I've got to get better sources...

15 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

He sure dethroned the shit out of us...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ATOM said:

ya and that one 2 thats all he was good for one liners he is the dice clay of comedians 

He had a career record of 96-34-6 in the regular season. He went 9-1 in the postseason, leading the Green Bay Packers to the NFL Championship/Super Bowl in 1960, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966 and 1967. They won the last five. 

But please, feel free to continue. 

50 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yeah.... but....

He couldn't beat cancer could he?

Too soon?

I wanted to send out this info about a nice looking, BROWNS satin jacket, size Large (YOUTH). I have this jacket, and looking to give this to anyone who has a young child who wants to look good in a brown satin jacket. No rips, tears, dirt, or scuff marks. In perfect condition. Looks awesome on a sunny day with the sun shinning on it. Comes from a non-smoking home. All I ask for is the cost for shipping. I want to let you all know its a first come, first serve basis. Your welcome to contact me at - footballholic247@gmail.com  GO BROWNS !

On 1/14/2021 at 5:10 PM, Dutch Oven said:

He had a career record of 96-34-6 in the regular season. He went 9-1 in the postseason, leading the Green Bay Packers to the NFL Championship/Super Bowl in 1960, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966 and 1967. They won the last five. 

close to career Paul Brown was pre super bowl 159-80-5 in 244 games lombardi only coached 144 games also Brown did win 7 league championships  thats one more than that horse faced fuck Brown also won a national title while a coach in collage So wait goddamn thats another more title than lombrdi ever won

also remember a thing called the west coast offense uummm jeez I wonder who came up with that ?

24 minutes ago, ATOM said:

close to career Paul Brown was pre super bowl 159-80-5 in 244 games lombardi only coached 144 games also Brown did win 7 league championships  thats one more than that horse faced fuck Brown also won a national title while a coach in collage So wait goddamn thats another more title than lombrdi ever won

also remember a thing called the west coast offense uummm jeez I wonder who came up with that ?

Lombardi didn't coach as many games because he died of cancer.

And with that, this fucking waste of time is officially done. 

34 minutes ago, ATOM said:

That would be Bill Walsh.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

That would be Bill Walsh.

No.  It was Paul Brown.   Walsh was an asst. coach for  PB with the Bengals...and most of Walsh's concepts were the same that  PB ran with Otto Graham.  And also...the name West Coast Offense was actually a creation of Bernie Kosar. 

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No.  It was Paul Brown.   Walsh was an asst. coach for  PB with the Bengals...and most of Walsh's concepts were the same that  PB ran with Otto Graham.  And also...the name West Coast Offense was actually a creation of Bernie Kosar. 

It was Bill Walsh, while under Paul Brown. 

The Bengals had an accurate, but weak-armed QB, and Brown gave his OC Bill Walsh the assignment of creating a passing attack that featured short passes. This was the beginning of what became the West Coast offense, shorter passes that focused on hitting players in stride to allow them to gain yards after the catch. 

I didn't know about Bernie's involvement in the name, but apparently this is true, but mistakenly. Bernie mentioned "the West Coast Offense" in comparison to the Cowboys offense (when he was there) and the reporter mistakenly thought he was referring to the Walsh/49ers offense. Bernie was actually talking about the Air Coryell offense. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:
  1. It was Bill Walsh, while under Paul Brown. 
  2. The Bengals had an accurate, but weak-armed QB, and Brown gave his OC Bill Walsh the assignment of creating a passing attack that featured short passes. This was the beginning of what became the West Coast offense, shorter passes that focused on hitting players in stride to allow them to gain yards after the catch. 
  3. I didn't know about Bernie's involvement in the name, but apparently this is true, but mistakenly. Bernie mentioned "the West Coast Offense" in comparison to the Cowboys offense (when he was there) and the reporter mistakenly thought he was referring to the Walsh/49ers offense. Bernie was actually talking about the Air Coryell offense. 

1. Yes... and as we know that does not make it Paul Browns'.

2. Actually the Bengals had a promising, rookie QB, Greg Cook, who suffered a torn rotator cuff early in the season. That necessitated scrapping the vertical offense installed in TC and replacement it with a short, quick passing game. Walsh was Paul's QB Coach and called the plays. At the time it was generally referred to as "the nickle and dime offense."

However, Walsh did not originate the concept at that time. That happened over 20 years prior in Bill's Master's Thesis at San Jose St., Flank Formation Football - Stress: Defense . Bill used a fledgling version of the concept in his first job to turn a doormat H.S. team into a winner. The concept developed through Bill's subsequent stops on college staffs and his first pro job in Oakland. He left Oakland to join Brown in Cinci.

Bill expected to become the Cinci HC when Paul retired. He left after Paul passed over him and chose Bill Johnson. Pretty safe to say Paul fucked up.

3. Walsh ended up joining Don Coryell in SD where the Offense was further developed. While some do credit Bernie and a miscommunication for the name, almost a decade earlier Bill Parcels used it after his NYG team destroy Walsh's 49ers in a playoff game.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1063824-a-brief-history-of-the-west-coast-offense-part-1-planting-the-seed

https://www.thephinsider.com/2014/2/13/5406774/football-101-what-is-a-west-coast-offense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_offense#History_and_use_of_the_term

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It was Bill Walsh, while under Paul Brown. 

The Bengals had an accurate, but weak-armed QB, and Brown gave his OC Bill Walsh the assignment of creating a passing attack that featured short passes. This was the beginning of what became the West Coast offense, shorter passes that focused on hitting players in stride to allow them to gain yards after the catch. 

I didn't know about Bernie's involvement in the name, but apparently this is true, but mistakenly. Bernie mentioned "the West Coast Offense" in comparison to the Cowboys offense (when he was there) and the reporter mistakenly thought he was referring to the Walsh/49ers offense. Bernie was actually talking about the Air Coryell offense. 

Bill Walsh  adapted and updated Paul Brown's basic concepts that he ran with Otto Graham.    He did not just create that offense out of the firmament.   He also took some of Sid Gillman's concepts from his San Diego offense and applied it.  Not saying he wasn't creative with it...just that the basic concepts had been around. 

Walsh spent eight seasons with the Bengals as the offensive coordinator.

In that time, he incorporated many of Paul Brown's philosophies into his own tool kit.