THE BROWNS BOARD

Miss me?

Westside Steve

Good morning gentlemen. I’ve had a few PMS concerning my recent hiatus and thought I would make the statement now. On the 22nd of December I began to experience covid symptoms and went for the quick test at the CVS Clinic in Wooster and the results were positive. According to the health department my quarantine should have been over around the 1st but I didn’t feel great so I chose to personally extended for a few days. I have always taken greater precautions then the requirements demand but that’s because I’m not Karen. I think most of the rules are arbitrary and stupid and probably even counterproductive but I would personally feel bad if I passed on the virus to someone who wound up sicker than I was. And no I don’t wear a mask in my house or my car we’re walking down an empty Street or on the bicycle trail. I consider myself to be completely out of the woods now.
If anybody is interested in the series of symptoms that I had here they are. I realize my case is not as severe has many good friends of mine who has been hospitalized but here they are.
My fever has never been extreme the highest point was 100.4 which is the number the CDC says should be considered fever. I hit that number twice but only for a short time. Mostly the temperature was riding around normal to 99.1 or 100.0.
While my case I believe was somewhat mild there were some problems. In particular chills and reasonably severe muscle and joint pain. Any regular pain an old man such as myself what experience lower back knees arthritic fingers neck pain Etc seemed to be exaggerated greatly during these periods of chill. Tylenol helped a lot during this period. Those periods of chills and pain eventually faded into the past. I have had a constant nagging cough but nothing close to what I get about every other year in the springtime when I get my occasional upper respiratory/laryngitis. The cough is still here but it’s just annoying.
I never really lost my sense of smell and taste but both were certainly compromised and there seemed to be a nasty bitter taste in the throat. I think both of those senses are okay now and this morning I’m having my first cup of coffee in quite a few days. 
The most troubling symptom is what others have called brain fog I’ve been extremely sleepy but not enough to worry me. It’s hard to concentrate oh, at least it was through the past couple weeks.
The testing facility was surprisingly lackadaisical and told me unless I had severe chest pain or severe trouble breathing not to worry about it. And if I did, I should call 911. Nothing of the sort ever happened no breathing problems whatsoever.
My closest brush with what might be considered a serious symptom was passing out in the shower. Once I became extremely dizzy and had to sit down and once, I actually hit the deck and was out for a bit. Of course, I can still find a funny story in that one because I’m on my way down I hit the water handle which turned the heat to scalding and wound up with  2nd degree burns  on my  back.  
So in case anybody was concerned that’s that. By the way I am anticipating at least a few comments about which I’m sure I will have zero fucks to give but for the rest of you even though it’s been an unpleasant couple of weeks I have not changed my opinion on the issue. I still think too many people prefer confrontation to safety and get a false sense of security from arbitrary hun counterproductive rules. Maybe that’s human nature.
WSS

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm glad it was not far worse for you Steve. At your age you should consider yourself very lucky indeed. Well except for the scalding anyway. That was totally unlucky.

But I thought it added a little extra humor. I kept thinking I've fallen and I can't get up. 

😁

WSS

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

.........My closest brush with what might be considered a serious symptom was passing out in the shower. Once I became extremely dizzy and had to sit down and once, I actually hit the deck and was out for a bit. Of course, I can still find a funny story in that one because I’m on my way down I hit the water handle which turned the heat to scalding and wound up with  2nd degree burns  on my  back.  

So in case anybody was concerned that’s that. By the way I am anticipating at least a few comments about which I’m sure I will have zero fucks to give but for the rest of you even though it’s been an unpleasant couple of weeks I have not changed my opinion on the issue. I still think too many people prefer confrontation to safety and get a false sense of security from arbitrary hun counterproductive rules. Maybe that’s human nature.
WSS

WSS, glad to see you back here among friends and BROWNS fans.

And I always remember that old saying "don't sweat the small stuff" try to relax and enjoy the upcoming game.  And yes keep an eye on your health but keep posting.  Now is also a real bad time to get sick or need to be in any medical places I know I've been in the hospital 4 times in 2020 and am still there.  A lot of tension is in the air.

SO good luck to you and....

GO BROWNS, just beat KC.......baby !      ;)

• Upvote 1

Mr. Steve - glad you did so well. Maybe it's a not so bad strain like in the cities, or, most of us are in

much better health. My Wife is going to North Carolina sometime to help a friend. I worry about that, you betcha.

You've been a great HONEST, UNBIASED mod around here - wish you had more power to control things.

Really glad you didn't end up in the hospital.

Even the WHO is complaining that communist china refuses to cooperate. But we know so much about this virus now.

I think I can get the vaccine in a few weeks - we'll see how it goes... I plan on getting our family Dr.'s advice

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

And frankly I don't think there's much luck involved. Almost everybody that tests positive is asymptomatic. Only a tiny fraction wind up really sick. 

But I'm still glad it's over.

Thanks

WSS

I certainly hope you were well enough to witness the first hand ass kicking of the Stoolers on back to back weekends?

But I thought it added a little extra humor. I kept thinking I've fallen and I can't get up. 

😁

WSS

I did laugh because of my brother having a similar happening when he fell backwards off a ladder, opened his eyes and wondered why there were EMS vehicles in the street with lights flashing in front of him. It took him a few moments to realize that HE was the accident. With 2nd degree burns you had to have been out for more than just a moment or two.🚿😁

4 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Hope you told your doctor you passed out.  It could be not related to the covid.

I actually told my best friend who is an RN. Says it's a pretty common phenomenon with diseases similar to this like the flu. The hot steam will cause you to get light-headed. I forget the term.

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I actually told my best friend who is an RN. Says it's a pretty common phenomenon with diseases similar to this like the flu. The hot steam will cause you to get light-headed. I forget the term.

Yep, after my release from the hospital I fell getting into the shower.

My sense of balance was skewed for a couple of weeks.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

The most troubling symptom is what others have called brain fog I’ve been extremely sleepy but not enough to worry me. It’s hard to concentrate oh, at least it was through the past couple weeks.
The testing facility was surprisingly lackadaisical and told me unless I had severe chest pain or severe trouble breathing not to worry about it. And if I did, I should call 911. Nothing of the sort ever happened no breathing problems whatsoever.
My closest brush with what might be considered a serious symptom was passing out in the shower. Once I became extremely dizzy and had to sit down and once, I actually hit the deck and was out for a bit. Of course, I can still find a funny story in that one because I’m on my way down I hit the water handle which turned the heat to scalding and wound up with  2nd degree burns  on my  back.  

11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I hope it is not, but I think the term you may be looking for is hypoxia?

You may not have had to be hospitalized, but that does not mean your lungs ability to transfer oxygen was not compromised... and have not been damaged.

Did you never have your pulse/ox taken? If not, please do... even if you feel better now. If it's low, or even low-ish, then those walks you are taking can be doing damage to your heart.

The passing out in the shower fits. Warm/hot water on skin causes increased blood flow to cool the warmed area. With normal blood oxygen levels, no biggie, but with reduced levels, then the bloodflow that the skin pulls away from the brain leaves the brain starved for O2... and down you go.

Also explains your "brainfog". It's just the brain hungry for O2, but not starved.

So please get checked. At worst you might have to go on supplemental oxygen for a while, but your heart will thank you for it.

And yeah... I did notice you hadn't been around... but upstairs, not down here in the dungeon. The Pluto thread was going untended... ;)

One last time, please get checked... if for no other reason than that you owe me a beer...

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I hope it is not, but I think the term you may be looking for is hypoxia?

You may not have had to be hospitalized, but that does not mean your lungs ability to transfer oxygen was not compromised... and have not been damaged.

Did you never have your pulse/ox taken? If not, please do... even if you feel better now. If it's low, or even low-ish, then those walks you are taking can be doing damage to your heart.

Yes see below

The passing out in the shower fits. Warm/hot water on skin causes increased blood flow to cool the warmed area. With normal blood oxygen levels, no biggie, but with reduced levels, then the bloodflow that the skin pulls away from the brain leaves the brain starved for O2... and down you go.

Also explains your "brainfog". It's just the brain hungry for O2, but not starved.

So please get checked. At worst you might have to go on supplemental oxygen for a while, but your heart will thank you for it.

see below

And yeah... I did notice you hadn't been around... but upstairs, not down here in the dungeon. The Pluto thread was going untended... ;)

I hear you and it bums me out. I realize cleveland.com yeah he has to make a buck but...

One last time, please get checked... if for no other reason than that you owe me a beer...

hey I appreciate the concern but I'm fine. Just a little hypotension and it's been a long time ago. Plus I bought an oxygen meter a couple weeks back and check iton a regular basis. As my buddy and I discussed it could well have to do with dehydration. There was a time I just wasn't hungry or thirsty and neglected my water. The reduction in food I took as a positive thing. Haha.. I'm on top of that h2o now. My pal had it but didn't go to the hospital even though he told me his fatigue was pretty severe for almost 3 weeks. I personally just spent more of the time of the day nodding off . For good or bad now I'm back to waking up at 4 or 5 am. Mine was noticeable but again nothing I worried about. And my temperature has been normal horse slightly below now 4 quite a while.

WSS

hey I appreciate the concern but I'm fine. Just a little hypotension and it's been a long time ago. Plus I bought an oxygen meter a couple weeks back and check iton a regular basis. As my buddy and I discussed it could well have to do with dehydration. There was a time I just wasn't hungry or thirsty and neglected my water. The reduction in food I took as a positive thing. Haha.. I'm on top of that h2o now. My pal had it but didn't go to the hospital even though he told me his fatigue was pretty severe for almost 3 weeks. I personally just spent more of the time of the day nodding off . For good or bad now I'm back to waking up at 4 or 5 am. Mine was noticeable but again nothing I worried about. And my temperature has been normal horse slightly below now 4 quite a while.

Good to read... especially your monitoring your pulse/ox...

Only pestering question I'll ask is... do you know your pre-Covid pulse/ox baseline? In other words you may be in normal-ish range now, but had higher levels before.

And one added caution... I was just relating your story to my wife and she added that a friend of hers also had a "moderate" case and her Dr.'s have her on blood thinners to prevent clotting, another post-recovery concern.

Guys are famous for having two things in common, not stopping to ask for directions and not going to the Dr. Thankfully Garmin and other nav systems have made the former a thing of the past.... even if the damn things tell you to go a way you know isn't the fastest... but the latter remains.

Time for a physical, bud... I really want that beer. ;)

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Good to read... especially your monitoring your pulse/ox...

Only pestering question I'll ask is... do you know your pre-Covid pulse/ox baseline? In other words you may be in normal-ish range now, but had higher levels before.

And one added caution... I was just relating your story to my wife and she added that a friend of hers also had a "moderate" case and her Dr.'s have her on blood thinners to prevent clotting, another post-recovery concern.

Guys are famous for having two things in common, not stopping to ask for directions and not going to the Dr. Thankfully Garmin and other nav systems have made the former a thing of the past.... even if the damn things tell you to go a way you know isn't the fastest... but the latter remains.

Time for a physical, bud... I really want that beer. ;)

Complete physical rescheduled for next Thursday.

Also I'm more comfortable asking advice from my pal just because any appointment I'm going to get in less than two or three months will be with an RN if I'm lucky

WSS

• Upvote 1

Got a call from a neighbor yesterday, he got covid, from his daughter who got it from a classmate...

he has been pretty sick for two weeks, quarantined. His oxygen got as low as 80$ at the hosptial for a few days...,

but it's back up over ninety. Still has a little lung congestion. He said he never had a fever... 100 or over, but had chills where he couldn't warm up.

No time to risk it - stay safe, take care. It's still out there.

13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Got a call from a neighbor yesterday, he got covid, from his daughter who got it from a classmate...

Reminded me...

Steve,

Any idea who might have infected you?

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Reminded me...

Steve,

Any idea who might have infected you?

Not really. I played a gig on the 19th and filled the first twinges on the 22nd so given vague guidelines of the CDC I guess that could have been on the very short end? I called my friends there and let them know him immediately but the owner said they've had no positive cases and as of today nobody has reported a problem. So who knows? I've stated before that I think the rules are arbitrary pointless and in many cases probably counterproductive. I think younger people who aren't really at much risk don't care whatsoever and forcing people out of public establishments promotes a rise in private get-togethers in which absolutely no precautions will be taken at all. And even I one of the bigger Skeptics on the board I am often appalled by the idea that kids can go play with their buddies  completely unrestricted all day long and bring back whatever virus from his friends houses or Sports practice.

As far as shopping I'm probably more respectful of the guidelines than most. I wear the stupid mask the entire time I'm in a store use the hand sanitizer often and give all other customers a wide berth. Not because I was scared because I don't want to make others uncomfortable.

But we went to bars / restaurants fairly regularly and of course strictly obeyed whatever rules they have in place. And I have frankly never seen anyone being lax about the rules the state of Ohio has imposed.

WSS

On 1/13/2021 at 12:13 PM, Westside Steve said:

If it's steam from a hot  buttered rum, it's called "drunk".😂🥃

• Thanks 1

Just now, TexasAg1969 said:

If it's steam from a hot  buttered rum, it's called "drunk".😂🥃

Actually an issue of concern for me. People that put good quality booze into a warm drink with no whipped cream to stop the evaporation of alcohol are doing themselves a disservice.

🍹😁

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Actually an issue of concern for me. People that put good quality booze into a warm drink with no whipped cream to stop the evaporation of alcohol are doing themselves a disservice.

🍹😁

Which is why my son bought me a "snifter" glass for straight Venezuelan Diplomatico Reserva Exclusive, best sipping rum in the world. Snifter is large at the bottom and narrow at the top so you can also savor the smell as you sip an ounce or two for at least an hour as you take it straight up. I plan to use it Sunday if we are winning or losing in the second half.🤣

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Which is why my son bought me a "snifter" glass for straight Venezuelan Diplomatico Reserva Exclusive, best sipping rum in the world. Snifter is large at the bottom and narrow at the top so you can also savor the smell as you sip an ounce or two for at least an hour as you take it straight up. I plan to use it Sunday if we are winning or losing in the second half.🤣

I don't know Tex.  I have a bottle of it.  I tried 'sipping' it and almost gagged.  Had to mix it with some coke.  

7 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I don't know Tex.  I have a bottle of it.  I tried 'sipping' it and almost gagged.  Had to mix it with some coke.  

LOL! Ya got to sip it very slow, not gulp it. I'm talkin' just enough to feel like it covers the tip of your tongue about 1/2 inch back and slowly let it drain into the rest of your mouth. But it's a pretty good mixer too. Pina Coladas are pretty good with this stuff.