THE BROWNS BOARD

Tell Me Again

Axe

28 minutes ago, Axe said:

How the SEC is over rated..😆

7-2 on the bowl season and slapped the dog snot out of the Big10 frauds again in the NC game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_NCAA_football_bowl_games

And ND was a joke to be there in the 4 team playoff instead of at least giving Texas A&M another shot at Bama. They were far better by the end of the season than when they played Bama the second game of the season. They lost by the exact same score as the Bama-OSU game.

9 hours ago, Axe said:

7-2 on the bowl season and slapped the dog snot out of the Big10 frauds again in the NC game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_NCAA_football_bowl_games

The SEC hasn't been overrated at least the top for a while now......who is saying that ?

The US population has .been relocating to the South and West at least since the 70s along with it the money and development that goes along with it like the growth of the colleges.

The growth has come from the North and Northeast it's not hard to figure it out.  Just look at the number of D1 football schools in Florida alone it used to basically be just the UM, FSU and UF.

Personally you can have the sweaty hot now becoming crowded South but that's just my opinion.  ;)

43 minutes ago, Axe said:

A&M should have been there

Now the A&M and Oklahoma fans would agree but OHIO STATE is more popular.......well maybe before Monday night.  :lol:

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

The SEC hasn't been overrated at least the top for a while now......who is saying that ?

The US population has .been relocating to the South and West at least since the 70s along with it the money and development that goes along with it like the growth of the colleges.

The growth has come from the North and Northeast it's not hard to figure it out.  Just look at the number of D1 football schools in Florida alone it used to basically be just the UM, FSU and UF.

Personally you can have the sweaty hot now becoming crowded South but that's just my opinion.  ;)

Well, they all recruit players from all over the country.  

19 hours ago, Axe said:

They're not over rated. They're great at football, especially so in flawless environments. 

Pile on OSU & the Big 10, or whomever you may choose. At least tOSU ventures out of a comfort zone every now & then, travels to unfamiliar territory. SEC teams stay in their own region, never travel north of Kentucky, rarely west of Texas. Of course, 95% of bowl games are in flawless environments as well (domes, no sleet/rain, etc), not the SEC's fault there, but you get what I'm saying I hope.

The flagship of all of college football, Alabama, hasn't played an out of conference road game against a ranked opponent since the 80s. Florida has never been north of Kentucky ever. I do know LSU and tOSU played a home & home back in the 90s. Georgia, I think they went to South Bend once. 

As a Buckeye fan, it irks me the Buckeyes play MAC schools. College football has always been seriously flawed with scheduling and rankings/polls. While I watch it, it pales to pro football in that regard- it's a lot like olympic ice skating, where judges award medals on perception. The SEC owns that perception now, and probably will for a long long time. 

8 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

They're not over rated. They're great at football, especially so in flawless environments. 

Pile on OSU & the Big 10, or whomever you may choose. At least tOSU ventures out of a comfort zone every now & then, travels to unfamiliar territory. SEC teams stay in their own region, never travel north of Kentucky, rarely west of Texas. Of course, 95% of bowl games are in flawless environments as well (domes, no sleet/rain, etc), not the SEC's fault there, but you get what I'm saying I hope.

The flagship of all of college football, Alabama, hasn't played an out of conference road game against a ranked opponent since the 80s. Florida has never been north of Kentucky ever. I do know LSU and tOSU played a home & home back in the 90s. Georgia, I think they went to South Bend once. 

As a Buckeye fan, it irks me the Buckeyes play MAC schools. College football has always been seriously flawed with scheduling and rankings/polls. While I watch it, it pales to pro football in that regard- it's a lot like olympic ice skating, where judges award medals on perception. The SEC owns that perception now, and probably will for a long long time. 

Well....at least the MAC schools were  D-1.    At one point you would see SEC schools playing  D-1-AA  schools...sometimes  2 just to play a soft schedule.   That may have changed some.  Then again, there are the tactics that East Germany and the other schools use that also give them advantages besides the schedule.

• Upvote 1

Oops, turns out I was a tad wrong. Alabama played at Duke in 2010, at Penn St (#23) in 2011. 

I also remember in a bowl game between Georgia & Ohio St, Georgia wore illegal spikes (too long) yet their bowl win wasn't vacated by the NCAA. They only vacate wins if you sell your football pants. 

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

Oops, turns out I was a tad wrong. Alabama played at Duke in 2010, at Penn St (#23) in 2011. 

I also remember in a bowl game between Georgia & Ohio St, Georgia wore illegal spikes (too long) yet their bowl win wasn't vacated by the NCAA. They only vacate wins if you sell your football pants*. 

*Lie to the NCAA

The SEC is overrated. 

Florida, UGA, A&M fans chanting "S E C" because Bama keeps winning are pathetic. 

That's without going into all of the advantages at play for the SEC... fighting against satellite camps, bagmen, bowl games in their region, etc. 

I'll leave it at that 

44 minutes ago, Axe said:

This year I don't believe anyone was allowed to stray from their comfort zone.

True. Schedules were adjusted this year.

NCAA schedules are usually made well ahead of time, like 10 years out for out-of-conference games. So how could that explain the last 40 or 50 years with Bama, Georgia, Florida-generally the strongest the SEC offers every season? Yep, the end result is the same 😀

30 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

The SEC is overrated. 

Florida, UGA, A&M fans chanting "S E C" because Bama keeps winning are pathetic. 

That's without going into all of the advantages at play for the SEC... fighting against satellite camps, bagmen, bowl games in their region, etc. 

I'll leave it at that 

Let me see. A&M with JFF beat the eventual National Champs in their house in 2012 and finished #5. Then lost to them without benefit of a deserved rematch for a record that just got them #4 in the Coaches poll today.

Now on to the rest who have even more claims to fame than the newest team. Since 2006 LSU and Florida have won it twice and Auburn has won it once.

OSU has won it once.

So I'd say that's a pretty strong argument against your overrated claim.

Now if you'd choose to go to bowl victory history of SEC vs. the world over the last 8 or 10 years...............................................................makes your argument even weaker.

11 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

*Lie to the NCAA

Well technically, Tressel lied to Gene Smith, tried to cover it up. Gene Smith reported it to the NCAA.  

Funny thing is SEC fans think because of the vacated Sugar Bowl win by tOSU, that they beat tOSU. 

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Let me see. A&M with JFF beat the eventual National Champs in their house in 2012 and finished #5. Then lost to them without benefit of a deserved rematch for a record that just got them #4 in the Coaches poll today.

Why would anyone include A&M in any College National Championship discussion?  They have never won a title since like 1939...they have never played for a title...or even gotten close.   They finished #5 one year you say?  The best they have done in any of our lifetimes.

Now on to the rest who have even more claims to fame than the newest team. Since 2006 LSU and Florida have won it twice and Auburn has won it once.

OSU has won it once.

Why use 2006 as an arbitrary cutoff date?   In the 2000s  OSU has won as many national championships as any school except East Germany. 

So I'd say that's a pretty strong argument against your overrated claim.

Actually, no.  If the claim is that the rest of the SEC is glomming off the accomplishments of East Germany, I think he is pretty much on point. 

Now if you'd choose to go to bowl victory history of SEC vs. the world over the last 8 or 10 years...............................................................makes your argument even weaker.

Actually, I believe the SEC has a losing record in bowl games vs. the  ACC.  At least they did a couple of years ago when I checked it out. 

The Top Dozen (well...at least there is one southern school on the Football list) 

Most collegiate team national championships all sports by football titles [edit]

Institution Location Founded Type Nickname NCAA Team Titles[1] Recognized Football Titles[13] AIAW Team Titles[14][15] Other Team Titles[a][16] Total Team Titles[17] Primary Conference
Princeton University Princeton, New Jersey 1746 Private Tigers 13
26 0 31[25] 70 Ivy League Yale University New Haven, Connecticut 1701 Private Bulldogs 9 18 1 50[23] 78 Ivy League University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, Alabama 1831 Public Crimson Tide 10 17 0 0 27 Southeastern Conference University of Notre Dame South Bend, Indiana 1842 Private Fighting Irish 19 13 0 0 32 Atlantic Coast Conference USC Los Angeles, California 1880 Private Trojans 115 11 6 5[20] 129 Pac-12 Conference University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Michigan 1817 Public Wolverines 36 11 0 9[27] 56 Big Ten Conference Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio 1870 Public Buckeyes 30 8 5 26[26] 69 Big Ten Conference Harvard University Cambridge, Massachusetts 1636 Private Crimson 4 8 0 39[32] 51 Ivy League University of Oklahoma Norman, Oklahoma 1890 Public Sooners 31 7 0 0 38 Big 12 Conference University of Minnesota Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota 1851 Public Golden Gophers 19 6 0 4[50] 29 Big Ten Conference Penn Philadelphia 1740 Private Quakers 4 6 0 43[31] 53 Ivy League University of Nebraska Lincoln, Nebraska 1869 Public Cornhuskers 20 5 1 6[48] 32 Big Ten Conference

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Well, they all recruit players from all over the country.  

Here is the irony. A&M just signed late last night the best J.C. OT in the country, but he is a former Australian rugby player. 6'5" 320 lb Jordan Moko of Brisbane, Australia. Incredibly he is like the 4th or 5th best OL signed by A&M this year. A&M loses 4 of their 5 starters from the team, so that attracted a lot of really great OLs. On Wed. they found the best RB in the state to run behind them in LJ Johnson, a power back with a great stiffarm who also can get into the 4.2+ 40 yd dash area.. Reminds me a lot of former Gator and Cowboy Emmitt Smith. Poor teasips announce it for us.😁

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Here is the irony. A&M just signed late last night the best J.C. OT in the country, but he is a former Australian rugby player. 6'5" 320 lb Jordan Moko of Brisbane, Australia. Incredibly he is like the 4th or 5th best OL signed by A&M this year. A&M loses 4 of their 5 starters from the team, so that attracted a lot of really great OLs. On Wed. they found the best RB in the state to run behind them in LJ Johnson, a power back with a great stiffarm who also can get into the 4.2+ 40 yd dash area.. Reminds me a lot of former Gator and Cowboy Emmitt Smith. Poor teasips announce it for us.😁

Best OC in the country because he was a rugby player?

You do know that  blocking is disallowed in rugby, don't you? 

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Played what?  Rugby, or football?   And where is "here"? 

Here as in Utah. https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/texas-am-lands-commitment-from-australia-native-mammoth-juco-offensive-lineman/

From the article: "Texas A&M has landed a commitment from JUCO offensive lineman Jordan Moko, who is 6-foot-5 and 335 pounds, out of Snow College in Utah by way of his native Australia. The nation’s No. 6 overall JUCO prospect and No. 1 offensive tackle committed to the Aggies over LSU and Oregon, and a reported 23 offers overall."

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Here as in Utah. https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/texas-am-lands-commitment-from-australia-native-mammoth-juco-offensive-lineman/

From the article: "Texas A&M has landed a commitment from JUCO offensive lineman Jordan Moko, who is 6-foot-5 and 335 pounds, out of Snow College in Utah by way of his native Australia. The nation’s No. 6 overall JUCO prospect and No. 1 offensive tackle committed to the Aggies over LSU and Oregon, and a reported 23 offers overall."

How much under the table money did they give him? 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I wonder what the going rate is now for the top 5* P5 athletes now ?  (Unless the NCAA has that all cleaned up. ;))

Used to be nice money in the Cam Newton days.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Smart guy knows that 4 of the starting 5 are going pro and that they were the best OL in the SEC this year. The money comes later from the high pick if he continues to learn and play well.

36 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Image result for ostrich with head in sand gif

Guess what he found down in there today. A 3 year LT grad transfer from Tennessee who wants to improve his draft status as an extra year transfer through the portal.

https://texags.com/s/38683/aggies-land-tennessee-grad-transfer-offensive-lineman-jahmir-johnson