THE BROWNS BOARD

***WILDCARD: Browns AT Steelers Gameday Thread***

Nero

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Coord's are something you've complained about for a while now, e.g., Todd Haley.

Who do you think were your last good ones? And if you ruled the world who that you can legally poach, or hire off the street, would you go after?

I'll only mention that after your second half vs. Indy, that if the rumors were true, then I think Ben has a future as an OC if and when he wants it.

And, yes, a few... just feels like more when one is the object of their "affection." ;)

Didn't he say just  that  Tomlin "inherited"  both Fichtner and  Butler?  

Uhm....you mention Todd Haley....he was OC under Tomlin....so Tomlin must have chosen Fichtner.   And Butler replaced Dick LeBeau....who was DC under Tomlin.    Is the Vagina trying to say that   Tomlin has no say so whatsoever in who serves as coordinators under him? 

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Cool... a beer summit...

Rolling Rock or Yuengling?

I am partial to the latter...

Jesus H. Christ..are you  a Quisling at everything? 

2 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Good food, I haven't been their in a while tho. I'm a bit of a beer snob these days. I Drank too much yueng growing up. Lol

Stopped there for lunch in June, 2018 on drive up from Alabama with the daughter and her fam (3 grandkids) on a coaster trek... Cedar Point and Holiday World.

Food was as good as I remembered as was their Bock bier on tap...  a German import IIRC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Stopped there for lunch in June, 2018 on drive up from Alabama with the daughter and her fam (3 grandkids) on a coaster trek... Cedar Point and Holiday World.

Food was as good as I remembered as was their Bock bier on tap...  a German import IIRC.

It's been a really long time for me. I'd guess early 2000's. Where I live now (delaware, Ohio) has really great food so I don't venture out as often as some may otherwise chasing the goodness. Def have always had good food and solid beer. 

23 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

It's been a really long time for me. I'd guess early 2000's. Where I live now (delaware, Ohio) has really great food so I don't venture out as often as some may otherwise chasing the goodness. Def have always had good food and solid beer. 

Bit east of you, but you don't happen to remember a restaurants named Bonvechio's, do you? Around Wainwright somewhere... south of New Philadelphia.

My Dad loved the place and we'd make the fairly long drive down from CLE a couple times a year for dinner... and a long drive back home.

Primarily a steakhouse they used to age beef on premises in their cellar. Dad told me you could go down and pick out your own steak, but he did not recommend it. Said he did it once and damn near couldn't eat the thing after seeing the mold on it.

May have closed in the early 60's... seems like I was pretty small when we stopped making that long-ass drive.

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Bit east of you, but you don't happen to remember a restaurants named Bonvechio's, do you? Around Wainwright somewhere... south of New Philadelphia.

My Dad loved the place and we'd make the fairly long drive down from CLE a couple times a year for dinner... and a long drive back home.

Primarily a steakhouse they used to age beef on premises in their cellar. Dad told me you could go down and pick out your own steak, but he did not recommend it. Said he did it once and damn near couldn't eat the thing after seeing the mold on it.

May have closed in the early 60's....

Yea no idea. I've been in Columbus off and on for a little over ten years now I'd say but the area where we are has so much stuff we never really have to drive to far to get something really good. Delaware, Dublin, Powell, Westerville and of course columbus as a whole. It definitely sounds good tho. One place I really miss is Mike's place in Kent. It's a brownsbacker place too. Lol. X-wing out front and really good greasy spoon breakfast. 

I will try and ask around about that steakhouse. Ive never been to new Philly tho or Wainright. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But, but, but....he wouldn't trade his entire roster for ours.    I on the other hand did say that I would trade his LBs for ours. 

BTW- Vag is "technically" right- Bens "dead cap" is only $22 million, as opposed to a "cap hit" of $40 million. Either way, they have zero cap room without making significant moves to get out of cap hell.  

5 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I have given credit plenty of times. I just think those that believe the demise of the steelers is here is comical.  I guess we are going to find out.  I'm not happy with the steelers and it has absolutely zero to do with losing to the browns. 

You're subscribing to the Steeler fantasy- we're going to be good next year because we've always been good.  

Regarding beer- I don't understand the support Yen-ling that Chinese beer gets. 

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

You're subscribing to the Steeler fantasy- we're going to be good next year because we've always been good.  

Regarding beer- I don't understand the support Yen-ling that Chinese beer gets. 

It's not a fantasy, the team is built for the future. There may be a couple down years but the talent is there and the organization has had continued success for a reason. Organizations like the steelers or the penguins dont stay down for long, they are built different. The same can be said about several other franchises. It is what it is. I also don't care much for yuengling but it was always around. My dad nor I were big drinkers tho. 

Edit: and I assume the Chinese thing was tongue in cheek. Lol. If not it's the oldest American brewery and obviously based in PA. 😘

6 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Yea no idea. I've been in Columbus off and on for a little over ten years now I'd say but the area where we are has so much stuff we never really have to drive to far to get something really good. Delaware, Dublin, Powell, Westerville and of course columbus as a whole. It definitely sounds good tho. One place I really miss is Mike's place in Kent. It's a brownsbacker place too. Lol. X-wing out front and really good greasy spoon breakfast. 

I will try and ask around about that steakhouse. Ive never been to new Philly tho or Wainright. 

Ever go to Thurman's? 

Damn good burger. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Bens "dead cap" is only $22 million, as opposed to a "cap hit" of $40 

This shouldn't be confusing but both statements are correct.  41.3 if he's on the roster on 6/2/21; 22.3 if he's cut by 6/1.. but then they have no QB and a charge of 22.3.

Fun is that the 2021cap drops to 176 from current 202.. At present the Steelers are 21M over that cap of 176.. Look out below.

15 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I've explained why I'm here and have been here for a long time. I went to college in ohio, I joined the board because I wanted info/ammo to debate with my college friends and I stuck around. I don't need to be here. I don't really talk shit. Where exactly is your problem? 

No issue, just highlighting the idiocy. 

The why is Irrelavent - you're here on a Browns board BUT it's the Browns who can't shut up about the Steelers? 

Either accept the territory you're in and that Cleveland fans wish to see this rivalry restored and post as such (it's been getting better the last 4-5 years) or quit bitching about what they say.

Hell, I'm cool with Juju and now Chase going off.  I miss some old fashion hate and bitterness.  Makes a win a little more satisfying in a game that is supposed to be a brawl.

5 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

This shouldn't be confusing but both statements are correct.  41.3 if he's on the roster on 6/2/21; 22.3 if he's cut by 6/1.. but then they have no QB and a charge of 22.3.

Fun is that the 2021cap drops to 176 from current 202.. At present the Steelers are 21M over that cap of 176.. Look out below.

Of course if Ben retires, then PTG's cap relief is immediate.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Ever go to Thurman's? 

Damn good burger. 

Yea we have one downtown delaware. It's call son of Thurman's. Definitely a good burger but also fucking huge. There is a place in a neighboring town (Powell) called the liberty tavern and for a while they made this burger with a Asiago cheese crisp, bacon, fig jam and peanut butter. It's still the best burger I've ever had in my life. Lol. 

Thurman's is good tho. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Of course if Ben retires, then PTG's cap relief is immediate.

I will be shocked if Ben isn't back. We shall see how badly he wants another go. Does he take a hometown discount? 🤷‍♂️ 

I have also read about the team using qualifying contract potentially to bring the cap down. The article mentioned alualu specifically. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

No issue, just highlighting the idiocy. 

The why is Irrelavent - you're here on a Browns board BUT it's the Browns who can't shut up about the Steelers? 

Either accept the territory you're in and that Cleveland fans wish to see this rivalry restored and post as such (it's been getting better the last 4-5 years) or quit bitching about what they say.

Hell, I'm cool with Juju and now Chase going off.  I miss some old fashion hate and bitterness.  Makes a win a little more satisfying in a game that is supposed to be a brawl.

Thst isn't really how this works. My teams season is over. 

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

I really don't see the cap dropping that far, especially with covid. I imagine it's going to stay around the 200 mark. 

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

BTW- Vag is "technically" right- Bens "dead cap" is only $22 million, as opposed to a "cap hit" of $40 million. Either way, they have zero cap room without making significant moves to get out of cap hell.  

So...how do they get out of "cap hell".....other than letting BR take a hike? 

6 hours ago, Vagitron said:

It's not a fantasy, the team is built for the future. There may be a couple down years but the talent is there and the organization has had continued success for a reason. Organizations like the steelers or the penguins dont stay down for long, they are built different. The same can be said about several other franchises. It is what it is. I also don't care much for yuengling but it was always around. My dad nor I were big drinkers tho. 

Edit: and I assume the Chinese thing was tongue in cheek. Lol. If not it's the oldest American brewery and obviously based in PA. 😘

Built for the future?  How does one figure?  Unless you expect to draft 4 HOFers this year....but this ain't 1974.    Yinzers got a couple of  good young receivers (stay seated Juju...not talking about you)  ....and a couple of young defenders (Minka/Watt) ...  but beyond that it is about middle of the pack in terms of average age of your players.   I guess getting rid of BR could help that.   Browns on the other hand are  the 4th youngest.  So tell us which team is built for the future. 

Also...I have played Darth Vader a time or two and have killed a few  Y(eu)ounglings.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Someone below you stated that by dumping BR they will get immediate cap relief.  What say you to that?   Sounds like you disagree somewhat.   Would they have to do more?

Jujubutt is a FA....let him walk?  Same with Dupree...let him walk? 

And I guess that sure as hell counts out trading for Wentz, as has been suggested.

20 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I really don't see the cap dropping that far, especially with covid. I imagine it's going to stay around the 200 mark. 

I will take Unsymps word over yours.  He seems to know what he is talking about.  You on the other hand.....mmmm,  not so much. 

Which means that even the Browns could have issues acquiring the FA talent they need due to the cap issues. 

5 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I have also read about the team using qualifying contract potentially to bring the cap down. The article mentioned alualu specifically. 

A smart and underutilized approach... and with the first-right of refusal, the worst thing that can happen is you end up with a draft pick.

Only downside is potential player disgruntlement. Not as big of an issue on winning teams... so better be sure you win. ;)

• Like 1

Guys, sure there is a bit of a difference being on an opposing teams forum, but Mr. Tron is to me not a troll. He actually posts even when they aren't playing, and he certainly isn't as bad as some so called Browns fans (and no, not saying ones that post regularly).

Now I completely disagreed with his talk and reasoning prior to and not long after the game, but he seems like a good guy. 

As for what he has said in this thread about not trading... that is what most people are going to say. I mean just take a look (in your memory) at some of the talk on here with regards to some of the Browns earlier this year. People were ready to give up on Baker, OBJ, every defensive player not named Myles and Denzel (and even a few with him), Njoku, Peoples Jones, Higgins. 

And if you do indeed think he is trolling, continuing to go after him would in fact be giving him exactly what he wants.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1