THE BROWNS BOARD

Miami pissed off at Pittsburgh?

The Gipper

Remember in 2007 I think it was when the Colts sat out Peyton Manning and a few other starters  when they played I think the Titans  that year,   and gave what seemed to be  a very half assed effort; but which, if they had played their starters they may have won going away?   And as a result, the Titans win gave them a playoff spot against the Browns?  And many of us were pissed as hell?

Also....yesterday the Eagles put in like "Sudfield"  and seemed to be tanking that game so they could move up from  10-6 in the draft order.  And tonight I hear that the coach of the Giants is all pissed off at the Eagles coach for doing that, because had Philly won, it would have sent the Giants into the playoffs, and not the Redskins....WTFs?

Didn't the same thing just happen  where Pittsburgh  sat their QB and some other starters against the Browns......and shouldn't the Dolphins and their fans be outraged over that.....as....had the Steelers beat the Browns instead of losing a 2 pt. game.  Miami, and not Cleveland would have  made it into the playoffs.  They obviously witnessed first hand a team....the Bills, that certainly did NOT sit their top players and QB.  I believe, correct me if I am wrong, but the Dolphins would have gone into the playoffs if they tied the Browns?    The Steelers "laying down"  put the Dolphins out and the Browns in,  didn't it?   Didn't they pull out there version of Jim Sorgi  to play the Browns....instead of playing their HOF QB?  

• Upvote 2

Win more games and you don't have to worry about what anyone else does..... Listening to piece of shit 6-10 NY Giants players be mad at another team for the way they want to play their final game is a microcosm of today's society....

Not my fault

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Win more games and you don't have to worry about what anyone else does..... Listening to piece of shit 6-10 NY Giants players be mad at another team for the way they want to play their final game is a microcosm of today's society....

Not my fault

Well,  that certainly is a mollycoddling  answer.   "Just go 16-0 and you won't have to worry about it".     Sure.

But....there are these things called "human nature"........and  "integrity".    It is human nature to believe that someone done you wrong in those situations, whether you want to believe it or not.

And,  I do think there really is an integrity issue at stake.   If less than a full effort is given by a team in an attempt to win,  that lack of effort really does affect other teams, not just your own. It can put one team in and leave another out.   For us fans....it is only our disappointment...or happiness that is at stake.   For the coaches and players....it could mean  playoff compensation, which is real money,   or even jobs. 

The Browns were the putative beneficiaries of this situation THIS year.  We got screwed by it in  2007.   Giants feel they got screwed this year. 

37 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Not my fault

Yeah, I listened to Joe Judge rant "we'll never give anything less than 100% all the time".  The folks on ESPN said exactly the same that  D Bone posted. Don't like it? Then win more games. A blazing 8-8 record would have gotten you into the playoffs G-Men.  

Regarding the Dolphins- they were so outclassed by the Bills- losing by 30, it wouldn't have mattered if the Bills had rested most of their starters. They even pulled Josh Allen, saw Matt Barkley tossed a TD pass in the 4th quarter.  

Regarding integrity in today's NFL Gipper- you do what you think is best for your team. Screw the rest of the league. Resting starters the final week of the season to avoid injury is SOP now in the the league if you have a playoff spot locked up.  Vernon is out for the rematch. You don't think if the shoe had been on the other foot, the Browns wouldn't have rested him, Baker, Chubb, Landry, Garrett and a few others? A little different- but did the Eagles intentionally "tank"? FWIW, Hurts wasn't doing all that great when he got benched... 72 yards with an interception.  If they did it to improve their draft position, why not?  Colts tanked the entire season to "Suck for Luck" a few years back. 

• Upvote 2

Integrity --- there are 53 men on a roster or whatever it is this year....when the NFL dictates who can play and who can't then we have lost integrity ....let's see how much integrity the NFL has when Mahomes or Rodgers test positive for covid.....bet the playoffs would get turned on its heads

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, I listened to Joe Judge rant "we'll never give anything less than 100% all the time".  The folks on ESPN said exactly the same that  D Bone posted. Don't like it? Then win more games. A blazing 8-8 record would have gotten you into the playoffs G-Men.  

Regarding the Dolphins- they were so outclassed by the Bills- losing by 30, it wouldn't have mattered if the Bills had rested most of their starters. They even pulled Josh Allen, saw Matt Barkley tossed a TD pass in the 4th quarter.  

Regarding integrity in today's NFL Gipper- you do what you think is best for your team. Screw the rest of the league. Resting starters the final week of the season to avoid injury is SOP now in the the league if you have a playoff spot locked up.  Vernon is out for the rematch. You don't think if the shoe had been on the other foot, the Browns wouldn't have rested him, Baker, Chubb, Landry, Garrett and a few others? A little different- but did the Eagles intentionally "tank"? FWIW, Hurts wasn't doing all that great when he got benched... 72 yards with an interception.  If they did it to improve their draft position, why not?  Colts tanked the entire season to "Suck for Luck" a few years back. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

No one feels sorry for the Dolphins, and their fans are not pissed off at us or the Steelers. Anytime you have a "win and in" situation and you get crushed, you've got more work to do.

No, the Giants didn't deserve to be in the playoffs at 6-10, but I think the whole NFL world has got a legitmate beef with Doug Pederson and the Eagles. He treated it like a preseason game and wanted to get Sudfield "some snaps". WTF is that? These other teams are playing for their football lives. Tomlin smartly rested some key players for the playoffs but they gave 100% with the guys they had. Pederson "was getting guys reps", didn't even have some of his best players active, because he knew he was coming back next year ... Total Trash, I hope the Giants, and everybody else, drill him next year.

Zombo

• Upvote 3

People can complain all they want.  As pointed out, it happened to us in '07.  It is the way the NFL is now.  On the final week of the season teams will do what they feel is best for THEM.  If you need a team to beat another team on the last week of the season, then, then you quite possibly be shit out of luck.  In today's NFL you've gotta get yourself qualified by week 16.  That's all there is to it.  Know that in September when the season is starting.  Know that that first game of the season is even more important than the last game.   My 2 cents.

2 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I think the whole NFL world has got a legitmate beef with Doug Pederson and the Eagles. He treated it like a preseason game and wanted to get Sudfield "some snaps". WTF is that?

The Eagles did what's best for the Eagles.  Now, after putting their QB room on tape with real live NFL games they're in a better position to evaluate their QB position for the offseason.

4 minutes ago, Orion said:

The Eagles did what's best for the Eagles.  Now, after putting their QB room on tape with real live NFL games they're in a better position to evaluate their QB position for the offseason.

The guy has been with the team for four years, they didn't need any more tape on him, Hurts is the guy you want to develop, put him in a game-winning situation, don't bench him so you can "give snaps" to a loyal henchman. Besides, you are playing a division rival, you want to win all of those games, he did the fans and the league a disservice.

Zombo

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well,  that certainly is a mollycoddling  answer.   "Just go 16-0 and you won't have to worry about it".     Sure.

But....there are these things called "human nature"........and  "integrity".    It is human nature to believe that someone done you wrong in those situations, whether you want to believe it or not.

And,  I do think there really is an integrity issue at stake.   If less than a full effort is given by a team in an attempt to win,  that lack of effort really does affect other teams, not just your own. It can put one team in and leave another out.   For us fans....it is only our disappointment...or happiness that is at stake.   For the coaches and players....it could mean  playoff compensation, which is real money,   or even jobs. 

The Browns were the putative beneficiaries of this situation THIS year.  We got screwed by it in  2007.   Giants feel they got screwed this year. 

So the Steelers, who have been freefalling for weeks, should risk their aging franchise quarterback's health in a heated rivalry game when they've already secured a playoff berth so that the Miami dolphins, of all people, could benefit? I don't think so.

As for the giants...fuck 'em. 

• Upvote 1

Resting players doesn't always work. No guarantees that it's a huge benefit. 

The last NFL team to win a SB without a Bye in the playoffs were the Ratbirds. So easy to say, win as many games as you can to get the top seed, or seeds as in past years. Then rest 'em.

As a season ticket holder, I'd be pissed if I was an Eagles fan. You shell out the $$ to see your favorite team, and they give you an inferior product. Buyer beware, I suppose, but that was BS. 

Don't worry, the NFC East will once again be rammed onto your tv set next season. Knowing Roger, the season will open with Philly @ NYG🙁

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

No one feels sorry for the Dolphins, and their fans are not pissed off at us or the Steelers. Anytime you have a "win and in" situation and you get crushed, you've got more work to do.

No, the Giants didn't deserve to be in the playoffs at 6-10, but I think the whole NFL world has got a legitmate beef with Doug Pederson and the Eagles. He treated it like a preseason game and wanted to get Sudfield "some snaps". WTF is that? These other teams are playing for their football lives. Tomlin smartly rested some key players for the playoffs but they gave 100% with the guys they had. Pederson "was getting guys reps", didn't even have some of his best players active, because he knew he was coming back next year ... Total Trash, I hope the Giants, and everybody else, drill him next year.

Zombo

How is the Steelers resting players any different than the Eagles resting players?

Miami is awful? I see a team on the rise... not there yet, but on the rise.

As for Philly... the loss moved them from the 10th pick to the 6th. Not a bad reward for dumping a meaningless game.

End of story.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Miami is awful? I see a team on the rise... not there yet, but on the rise.

As for Philly... the loss moved them from the 10th pick to the 6th. Not a bad reward for dumping a meaningless game.

End of story.

Well again the game was meaningless to them but not to the Giants. 

• Haha 1

Sure.  Every motherfucking team that complains need to win more games and they would not have anything to gripe about.   Every team needs to wrap up their  playoff spots long before the final week of the season....yada yada yada.

But here is the thing:  that is exactly what the NFL does NOT want.  They want all that drama coming down to the final week of the season.  They want many playoff spots to be on the line in the last week.  They want games like the one the Browns and Steelers played, or which the Texans and Titans played.   That is why they fixed the schedule so that  the last weekend is filled with Division rivalries.   On the final week they want:   will the Titans or Colts win the AFCS;  will the Giants or WTFs win the NFCE;   Will the Cardinals or the Bears make the Final Wildcard.   Will it be the Browns, Dolphins, Colts or Ravens ...4 teams fighting for  3 playoff spots.    And while they DID get all that, they also got some teams "letting up"  and more or less pre-ordaining what would happen.

On the other hand, I can see this point:    IF  for some reason the Browns  had their playoff position wrapped up,  and we were playing some team that if that other team won, it would mean the possibility of the Steelers or Ravens being excluded from the playoffs......then hell yes, I would rest my players,  suspecting that we would lose that game thereby denying the RFs or SSs from achieving a playoff spot.  Absolutely, there would be a venality to that.  And there would be perverse pleasure derived therefrom.  But I would also have to acknowledge that it would certainly lack complete integrity. 

Hell....maybe there was some of that in play this past week for the Steelers.   Maybe they thought:   If we have a choice of who our   playoff opponent will be,  we would prefer to take the Browns over the  Dolphins, Steelers or Colts.  "We always beat the Browns at home".   Maybe they were just clever and devious enough to have thought that out.  

And now, with our coach and play caller out....several coaches out, and more players out.....it seems like it may work out that way for them. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe....see above. 

No maybe about it. They wanted their stars healthy for the playoffs. That is winning football. Bills won anyway so it paid off, they wouldn't have had home field over the Bills anyway, and they got Ben and some key starters rest since their bye unexpectedly came early in the season. They weren't concerned with who their opponent was going to be,  they wanted to be healthy for their playoff run and I don't know anyone that has a problem with it, outside of maybe you.

Z

9 minutes ago, Zombo said:

No maybe about it. They wanted their stars healthy for the playoffs. That is winning football. Bills won anyway so it paid off, they wouldn't have had home field over the Bills anyway, and they got Ben and some key starters rest since their bye unexpectedly came early in the season. They weren't concerned with who their opponent was going to be,  they wanted to be healthy for their playoff run and I don't know anyone that has a problem with it, outside of maybe you.

Z

What I am saying is that whatever the motivation.....be it  having people ready for the playoffs, or putting themselves in position for a higher draft pick,  the action of sitting the personnel that may likely give them a better chance to win that game is in each case one of possibly tanking a game for an external purpose. 

And by "see above"  I meant see what I said about the Steelers possibly, actually being concerned who their playoff opponent would be and taking steps to assure it would the Browns.  Sure...Wild Ass speculation......but it is sure a more plausible conspiratorial  theory than believing that Trump won the election....or that there were ancient aliens;  or that we didn't land on the moon;  or Sasquatch  etc. 

(Oh...and Joe Judge had a bigger problem with it than I had....as I am not even saying I have a problem with it.  I just threw this hypothesis out for discussion because I did hear about his problem...and because it harkened back to 2007)

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

They'll have a target on their backs as big as Supermans Logo S..

1 hour ago, htownbrown said:

Miami wanted to see what they had in Tua.  Well, they saw.  They were surviving off their defense, but the Bills' offense is better.  End of story.

I'm not all that impressed with Tua and his noodle arm...

33 minutes ago, nickers said:

Coming off the injury he had he looked better than I expected.

Jury is not in yet, but he looked the part of an NFL starter to me in the couple Fin games I saw.

As for noodle-arm... he's chucked the pigskin 55+ yards both at BAMA and for the Fins. It's just that he mostly throws with touch and anticipation... things a certain #6 needs to show more frequently.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, nickers said:

They just used the number five overall draft pick last year on him. Do you want them to pick somebody else this year? You know that they have the number three pick which they traded for with Houston.

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Coming off the injury he had he looked better than I expected.

Jury is not in yet, but he looked the part of an NFL starter to me in the couple Fin games I saw.

As for noodle-arm... he's chucked the pigskin 55+ yards both at BAMA and for the Fins. It's just that he mostly throws with touch and anticipation... things a certain #6 needs to show more frequently.

Puhleeze... 6 will be fine...

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

They just used the number five overall draft pick last year on him. Do you want them to pick somebody else this year? You know that they have the number three pick which they traded for with Houston.

That's their problem... Not impressed...

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

The guy has been with the team for four years, they didn't need any more tape on him, Hurts is the guy you want to develop, put him in a game-winning situation, don't bench him so you can "give snaps" to a loyal henchman. Besides, you are playing a division rival, you want to win all of those games, he did the fans and the league a disservice.

Zombo

Hurts is their guy. They also have him at a very decent price. His playstyle at qb is conducive to injuries. So why not get some live bullets flying at the guy you think may be a backup to see how he performs. Then you are in a better position to know whether you need to go out and spend a little of that money you save going with hurts and dumping Wentz on a vet backup like a Case Keenum, nick Foles etc or if you have confidence in nate sudfeld to come in if needed so that money can go elsewhere.