THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Carousel

Tour2ma

Amen, brother...

God... I can still remember hearing we'd signed Delhomme and my 1st  thought, "We couldn't find a vet that was more shot?"

16 hours ago, Zombo said:

And it was actually better than Kiser /Kessler / Hogan.

Thank you, Baker, thank you.

Z

God what a shit show those 3 were.

Whatever happened to that bozo who was in love with Hogan?   Telling us all for weeks that Hogan was the 2nd coming of Aaron Rodgers. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mark O said:

God what a shit show those 3 were.

Whatever happened to that bozo who was in love with Hogan?   Telling us all for weeks that Hogan was the 2nd coming of Aaron Rodgers. 

Man, I completely forgot about that...

It must have got kicked out of my memory bank by the 25 page Draft Saquon Barkley! thread that will forever be a classic on here. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, The Gipper said:

Teams with HC openings now:

Atlanta

Detroit

Houston

Jacksonville   Meyer hired. 

LA Chargers

Jets

Eagles

Teams with GM openings still:

Atlanta

Carolina   See below

Denver    See below

Detroit   see below

Jacksonville 

Longtime Vikings assistant general manager and VP of player personnel George Paton has been hired as the new general manager of the Denver Broncos. Paton, who spent the past 14 years with the Vikings, agreed to a six-year deal on Jan. 13.

Detroit Lions hire Brad Holmes

Los Angeles Rams director of college scouting Brad Holmes has been hired as the new general manager of the Detroit Lions. Holmes, who has served in various roles for the Rams over the past 18 years, agreed to terms on a five-year deal on Jan. 14.

Carolina Panthers expected to hire Scott Fitterer

Seattle Seahawks VP of football operations Scott Fitterer is expected to be hired by the Carolina Panthers as their next general manager.

53 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Longtime Vikings assistant general manager and VP of player personnel George Paton has been hired as the new general manager of the Denver Broncos. Paton, who spent the past 14 years with the Vikings, agreed to a six-year deal on Jan. 13.

Isn’t that the guy who turned us down last year? 

34 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Isn’t that the guy who turned us down last year? 

Good memory... may I borrow it sometime?

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/george-paton-takes-himself-out-of-running-for-browns-gm-source-says-andrew-berry-the-leading-candidate.html

Not sure Detroit's "progress" is a resume padder.

So far I think we've done OK with our choice... :)

The Eagles just need to Trust The Process:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eagles-front-office-exec-built-050455689.html

John Dorsey, the Eagles front office exec who built two playoff teams

Reuben Frank
Thu, January 14, 2021, 9:04 PM
The Eagles front office exec who built two playoff teams originally appeared on NBC Sports Philadelphia

When the Chiefs and Browns meet in the playoffs Sunday, both teams will have the imprint of the same general manager.

Who now works for the Eagles.

John Dorsey, who spent this past year as a consultant in the Eagles’ scouting department, was general manager of the Chiefs from 2013 through 2016 and the Browns from 2017 through 2019.

He delivered both franchises a number of the star players that helped them reach the AFC conference semifinal round. 

And then they both fired him.

Dorsey, 60, spent six years in the 1980s as a linebacker with the Packers before going into scouting under legendary Packers GM Ron Wolf in 1991. 

It was in Green Bay where Dorsey first met Andy Reid, who joined Mike Holmgren’s staff in 1992. Reid and Dorsey were together for seven years until Holmgren and Dorsey left for Seattle in 1999 and Reid became head coach of the Eagles.

Dorsey returned to Green Bay in 2000, but when the Chiefs fired both head coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli after the 2012 season, it opened up the door for Reid and Dorsey to reunite in Kansas City.

Dorsey spent four years as the Chiefs’ general manager, a period where the Chiefs went 43-21 and reached the playoffs three times. 

Although he stocked the Chiefs’ roster with tons of talent, he was fired in the spring of 2017 for reasons that have never been made public and soon hired as GM of the Browns.

Why did the Chiefs fire Dorsey?

“I’m friends with John,” Reid said in a 2018 story in the Canton (Ohio) Repository newspaper before the Browns faced the Chiefs. “I'll leave it at that. Things happen.”

In Cleveland, Dorsey again found a number of players who helped the Browns turn things around under Kevin Stefanski, a one-time Eagles coaching intern at Lehigh. 

And again he was fired.

“John is a great man -- a great family man -- and a really good personnel man,” Stefanski said of Dorsey in an interview this week with the Associated Press. “Just look at both of our teams. A lot of players on this team I recognize are guys John brought in, so I think very highly of him." With Dorsey out of work, Howie Roseman invited him to spend the year as a consultant with the Eagles, scouting college and pro players and adding a new voice to the Eagles’ front office.

“John is a great football mind,” Reid said of Dorsey last year before the Super Bowl. “He knows talent. He brought in a lot of guys who maybe weren’t big names, but he saw something in them and they turned out to be good for us. He’s old-school football. He loves the game. That’s pretty obvious. He’s a gritty guy. I came to appreciate that about him. He would bring you a tough football player. Sometimes that’s a little harder to find these days.”

Although Reid has credited current Chiefs GM Brett Veach - who was also with him in Philly - as the guy who discovered Patrick Mahomes, he was drafted on Dorsey’s watch, and Dorsey was involved at least to some extent.

Here’s a look at the top five players on the Chiefs and Browns that Dorsey drafted:

Chiefs

Pat Mahomes

Tyreek Hill 

Travis Kelce

Eric Fisher

Chris Jones

Browns

Baker Mayfield

Nick Chubb 

Denzel Ward

Chad Thomas

Sheldrick Redwine

“I knew he would bring in some talented football players (in Cleveland), because that’s what he’s really good at,” Reid said. “I thought he could get that place turned around. He brought in a massive amount of talent. He’s done a nice job setting the foundation.”

There were seven GM openings in the NFL this offseason – Texans, Lions, Falcons, Panthers, Jaguars, Broncos and Washington. Four have been filled, and Dorsey has not been mentioned as a candidate for any of the other jobs.

So it doesn’t look like he’s going to get another GM job at this point.

Jeff Lurie was asked Monday about Dorsey and whether he might become a full-time member of the scouting staff here.

Instead of answering specifically about Dorsey, Lurie was vague and spoke of a number of people in the scouting staff, saying, “All the people we have … are very capable people.” 

But considering Dorsey’s track record and considering the Eagles’ recent track record, it seems like a no-brainer for the Eagles to keep Dorsey around.

All you have to do to understand why is watch the Chiefs-Browns game.

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

Here’s a look at the top five players on the Chiefs and Browns that Dorsey drafted:

Chiefs

Pat Mahomes

Tyreek Hill 

Travis Kelce

Eric Fisher

Chris Jones

Browns

Baker Mayfield

Nick Chubb 

Denzel Ward

Chad Thomas

Sheldrick Redwine

Now that’s some crack research right there Reuben, haha. Chad Thomas isn’t even on anyone’s practice squad right now.

On 1/12/2021 at 2:30 PM, The Gipper said:

Houston Texans hire Nick Caserio

Longtime Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio has been hired as the new general manager of the Houston Texans. Caserio was with the Patriots for 20 years, which included six Super Bowl victories and nine appearances.

Of course,  DeShaun Watson is pissed because he wasn't consulted on who the new GM of the DATs would be. 

What I don't understand is why he thinks the team is obligated to consult him?  Sure, he is their primary player, but nothing in any contract anywhere gives him say so over the choice of a position on that team wherein he would have little if any interaction.  Its not like the HC.  Now, I understand that he does have a right to bitch about O'Brien who traded  Hopkins away...but Caserio has been a respected NFL player personnel man for like  4 times longer than Watson has even been in the league. The only thing I can envision is that Watson wanted to demand that the team hire a black man for the job.  Sorry....but Caserio seems to me that he would be one of the Top 5 guys to be considered by any team. 

Here are all the guys that the Texans did interview:

• Matt Bazirgan, Texans director of player personnel -- completed (more)
  • Nick Caserio, Patriots director of player personnel -- hired (more)
  • Scott Cohen, Ravens director of football research -- requested
  • Omar Khan, Steelers VP of football and business administration -- completed
  • Trent Kirchner, Seahawks VP of player personnel -- completed (per team)
  • Louis Riddick, ESPN analyst and former Eagles director of pro personnel -- completed (more)

Sounds like Watson was told he would at least be invited in to listen to the talks/interviews, so it's a breach of faith there.  If that's true, it would definitely be a management error by the Texans.

Regarding Bienemy, he was involved in some controversies (albeit 20+ years ago) at Colorado which might explain some hesitancy in this day & age. Clearly, he has coaching skills and the talent to run it in KC.

57 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Sounds like Watson was told he would at least be invited in to listen to the talks/interviews, so it's a breach of faith there.  If that's true, it would definitely be a management error by the Texans.

Regarding Bienemy, he was involved in some controversies (albeit 20+ years ago) at Colorado which might explain some hesitancy in this day & age. Clearly, he has coaching skills and the talent to run it in KC.

Well, I know Bienemy is a prime candidate....but the opportunities are slipping away:

The Atlanta Falcons announced they agreed to terms with Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith to be their next head coach on Jan. 15.

Still Lions, Texans, Chargers, Eagles.    Maybe the DumbAssTexans are holding a spot for him. 

9 hours ago, D Bone said:

John Dorsey, the Eagles front office exec who built two playoff teams

Reuben Frank
Thu, January 14, 2021, 9:04 PM
The Eagles front office exec who built two playoff teams originally appeared on NBC Sports Philadelphia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But considering Dorsey’s track record and considering the Eagles’ recent track record, it seems like a no-brainer for the Eagles to keep Dorsey around.

All you have to do to understand why is watch the Chiefs-Browns game.

Browns HC Kevin Stefanski was hired Jan. 12th 2020.. (as of today.. 1 year & 3 days on the job)

Andrew Berry was hired by the Browns on Jan. 27th 2020.. Andrew Berry was Scouting for the Eagles, when Day 1 of Senior Bowl practices begun on Jan. 21st of 2020...

Let that simmer & sink in until Sunday :) ! !  

• Haha 1

The Bolts are going to be really good and I think this is a great hire. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30733020/los-angeles-chargers-hire-rams-brandon-staley-coach

Los Angeles Chargers hire Rams' Brandon Staley as coach

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Chargers have agreed to terms with Brandon Staley to become their next head coach, the team announced Sunday night.

He will be formally introduced at a news conference on Thursday.

Staley served the past season as the Los Angeles Rams' defensive coordinator, developing the top-ranked defense in the NFL behind star defensive tackle Aaron Donald and cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

Staley's unit propelled the Rams to a 10-6 season and a wild-card playoff win over the Seattle Seahawks before the team exited the postseason with a loss to the Green Bay Packers on Saturday. In his first year as an NFL coordinator, Staley's defense ranked No. 1 in efficiency, yards allowed per game and points allowed per game.

'The Sean McVay of defense': Former Division III coordinator Brandon Staley the latest coaching wunderkind
With the Chargers, Staley replaces coach Anthony Lynn, who was fired after four seasons and a 33-31 record.

The Chargers are coming off a 7-9 season that resulted in a third-place finish in the AFC West.

However, Staley inherits a roster that includes several cornerstone players, including rookie quarterback Justin Herbert, who became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to throw 30 touchdown passes in single season. Staley also takes over a defensive unit that includes Pro Bowl defensive end Joey Bosa and All-Pro safety Derwin James.

"It's hard to put into words just how excited I am for the opportunity to be the Los Angeles Chargers' Head Coach," Staley said in a statement. "While this is certainly a dream come true, it's also a dream that's just beginning. There's a reason this was probably the most sought after job out there -- from ownership, to the fans, to the city, to the men in that locker room -- it's the total package."

The 38-year-old Staley has quickly risen through the NFL ranks since he first was hired as a position coach in 2017 with the Chicago Bears. He spent two seasons in Chicago under defensive coordinator Vic Fangio before he followed Fangio to the Denver Broncos, where he spent one season as outside linebackers coach before joining the Rams' staff.

Ramsey told ESPN that he has been in touch with James about Staley's hiring and that James was very "excited" about his new coach. Ramsey has been a vocal advocate of Staley's throughout the coach's one season with the Rams.

"He would make a lot of organizations happy because he's a great guy. He's about ball, but at the same time he's a players' coach, and I love that about him, and I hope he's here for a while," Ramsey said last month. "But it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is a one-and-done thing. I would be happy for him."

Prior to coaching in the NFL, Staley coached for three seasons at John Carroll University, a Division III college in University Heights, Ohio, and also spent a season as defensive coordinator at James Madison University.

"His coaching journey to this particular moment is inspiring; if not for the sheer perseverance and determination of it all, then certainly for the dramatic results it has produced for the teams and players he has coached," Chargers president of football operations John Spanos said. "I know it's cliché, but I know Brandon quite literally cannot wait to get to work."

The Story so far:

Coaches:

Jags hire Urban Meyer

Jets hire  Robert Saleh

Falcons hire Arthur Smith

Chargers  hire Brandon Staley

Lions.....TBD    Hire Dan Campbell

Texans....TBD

Eagles....TBD

GMs

Houston  hires Nick Caserio

Broncos hire George Paton....not to be confused with George Patton

Lions  hire  Brad Holmes

Panthers  hire  Scott Fitterer

Falcons.... hire Terry Fontenot

Jags.....TBD

Washington...  hiring Marty Hurney

Notes:

A.  Eric Bienemy seems certain to nab one of the remaining openings

B.  Note that none of the hires so far have been so called "retreads".  None of the hirees had been an HC previously in the NFL.  And while some retreads  have been interviewed for jobs....some of those, like Marvin Lewis and Raheem Morris seem to be only  Rooney Rule requirement interviews.   I don't know if any of the former coaches are the favorites for any of the openings left. 

21 hours ago, D Bone said:

Staley served the past season as the Los Angeles Rams' defensive coordinator,

McVay already has himself quite a little coach's tree brewing.

Falcons hire Terry Fontenot as  GM.      He replaces Barberton native Thomas Dmitroff

Don't know if he is related to former Browns RB  Herman Fontenot. 

Washington is hiring  Marty Hurney as  GM.

Only GM opening now is Jags. 

Also.....Josh McDaniels is the leader to get the Eagles job.     Always thought he would take over for Belichick, but perhaps he is tired of waiting for BB to step aside. 

58 minutes ago, ATOM said:

would make me dislike the eiggles even more

I would like to see him succeed.  He grew up down the street from my sister-in-law  in Plain Twp. (Stark Co.).  He would ride his bike in her neighborhood and come trick or treating.  And he was born in Barberton. 

Philadelphia Eagles expected to hire Nick Sirianni

The Eagles are expected to hire Colts offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni as their new head coach, Ian Rapoport, Tom Pelissero, and Mike Girardi reported.

So much for the McDaniels rumor.

That would leave just the Texans job open.....possibly for Bienemy? 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Jacksonville Jaguars hire Trent Baalke

The Jaguars announced the hiring of interim general manager Trent Baalke as their full-time GM on Jan. 21.

That fills out ALL the outstanding  GM jobs.

found this as to be similar to what the Browns did last season... Urban Meyer was hired 1st as Stef was... Trent Baalke, will have, 1 full week to prepare for scouting bowls.. While the Browns did not hire Andrew Berry until 1-27-2020 & scouting The senior bowl for Eagles