THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 18: Browns vs Steelers Wild Card Game

Dutch Oven

1 hour ago, Dawg in MD said:

and.....we broke their league record 73 game sack streak! No sacks on Baker last night, even with a pieced together line!!! What a TEAM effort! Come on guys, get healthy and give KC all ya' got!  GO BROWNS!

^ Yep! Such an easily overlooked stat, and one to show just what an awesome team effort it was. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

blah blah blah. Your fan base has been cocky for years. Your team looked worse than the three stooges the first half, and the Browns started laying back a bit knowing your three slivers of sludge HAD to throw Of course they scored in the second half. Not many times can our Browns bet em 51-0. Hines Ward??? your three pits history is what it is. But history wasn't going to win last night - the Browns roared,

rapistbooger cried, juju and whatshisname sat on the bench in a stupor. "grey faces" ?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2021/01/11/steelers-collapse-nfl-playoff-loss-browns-after-11-0-start/6619320002/

But, I credit you with coming back and visiting. Good job.

Jesus Christ Cal, this isnt coherent and I was being critical of a segment of my own fan base.  How dumb are you? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

The thing is that you can't take away that 1st quarter. But let's do the math. 

The Steelers outscored by 17 a team that was rightfully winning by 28 after 13 mins of gametime. Last 8 points in the last minute when everyone and their mothers knew it was over. So to sum it up, in 3 full quarters of a game, the Steelers put 9 points more than the team they were rallying against. Not so great. 

We're probably losing next week since our secondary is awful and KC is a monster team in offense, but you can agree there's something to celebrate given how our team performed in front of a historic rival.    

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Browns but the start of that game was comical and it was 100% the steelers beating the steelers. Momentum is a thing and so is adrenaline. It just wasn't in the cards for the steelers. We certainly deserved to lose. A credit to the Browns playing a very solid game. 

5 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Jesus Christ Cal, this isnt coherent and I was being critical of a segment of my own fan base.  How dumb are you? 

I have my moments, but I have you beat. The steelers didn't just beat themselves. The Browns' offense roared with players missing, coaches missing... and a lot of heat was put on yer qb. Great wr's, sure. Frankly, I thought our secondary was going to have a tough day, but they rose to the occasion when it demanded. The steelers didn't "beat themselves"...the Browns beat them.

8 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Browns but the start of that game was comical and it was 100% the steelers beating the steelers. Momentum is a thing and so is adrenaline. It just wasn't in the cards for the steelers. We certainly deserved to lose. A credit to the Browns playing a very solid game. 

The start was comical, agreed. But I wouldn't say it's entirely the Steelers beating themselves.

The first snap is absurd (reminded me of Denver-Seattle SB).

The first Ben INT, BUT he's about to get sacked so he floats one to Snell as he has done many times in his career, just that this time doesn't work and gives it too much air. Not the most egregious INT I've ever seen. 

Landry scores because he is paired to a big body on a slant route. That's Browns' playcalling and playmaking. 

3rd down stop... Maybe that's on the Browns' DL?

Second INT: Ben has a lineman in the face, needs to put some air, Johnson tips and the INT by the safety. Once again, not the most egregious INT I've ever seen. 

I wouldn't say that Steelers beat themselves, they simply got outplayed badly that first quarter (and that first snap, which is tough) and the Browns seized the opportunities they were given. 

I am not trying to rub it on your face but it is tiring if the Browns only win because they were let to. 

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I don’t care who owned what quarter.

Just as the Steelers didn’t care what coaches and players were unavailable for the Browns.

Browns 48 Steelers 37.

Browns Chiefs Sunday. 

Enjoy your win. 🤙

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dawg in MD said:

and.....we broke their league record 73 game sack streak! No sacks on Baker last night, even with a pieced together line!!! What a TEAM effort! Come on guys, get healthy and give KC all ya' got!  GO BROWNS!

Sometimes those kind of records only apply to regular season games.  Not sure about this one. 

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

Well you can't spot a team 28 points in the first quarter and expect to win. You got outscored the rest of the game. I wouldn't get tooooo cocky about it and no our fan base is not doing those things. The fringe is but the fringe still cries about forcing Troy to retire or Hines ward. 

So?  You don't think that a team that has a 28 pt. lead may not let up a bit?  (We KNOW this Browns team does because this is only like the 4th time this year this sort of thing has happened).   Someone on ESPN  called this game:  the first quarter, then 3 quarters of garbage time.   While I would not go that far,  the Browns have had a tendency to take the foot off the pedal in these situations.....especially when they are having to play with 3rd stringers at DB.

One play was a situation of the Steelers fucking up all on their own, obviously (the snap)   Otherwise, it was a situation of the Browns dominating lines on both sides of the ball.  While there were no sacks, there was a lot of pressure....that lead to 4 Ints.  Those were caused by the Browns forcing BR into hurried situations.  Which IS a difficult task...and impressive... given that he gets rid of the ball practically as soon as it hits his hands these day. 

12 hours ago, D Bone said:

Man... gonna be hard to sleep. Not sure how your ESTers can even think about bed! 

What?

I slept GREAT!

I think it was because I had already had my dream for the nite... ;)

On 1/7/2021 at 5:02 PM, Tour2ma said:

The DL can't get there if he's throwing short, so follow his eyes into the passing lanes and go tip drill on his ass.

You're welcome, Joe... :D

On 1/7/2021 at 9:26 AM, Dawg in MD said:

Not many are giving the Browns a chance on Sunday. I for one like being the under"DAWGS" ; puts ALOT of pressure on Pitt since they supposedly should handle us easily with all our injuries and COVID related players/coaches that are out for Sunday. Kind of like last week where we had to win to get in, all the pressure was on us. Nothing scarier than backing a injured DAWG in a corner, they fight like hell! Should be a good one Sunday! Playoffs, feels good! It won't be easy, but we CAN win! Any given Sunday!

Kinda nailed that one...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

3rd stringer no one ever heard of inserted at LG

Loved in Baker's post-game when he said he met and introduced himself to Hance in the locker room before the game for the first time.

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Loved in Baker's post-game when he said he met and introduced himself to Hance in the locker room before the game for the first time.

Someone in the Tavern said he came from U Wisc., but he actually played for Northwestern. Not only did he just meet Baker, but when he came into the game in the 4th Q, that was his NFL debut. I'd say he played quite well for a guy who's never played a down in a live game and who never even participated in practice with the Browns. Talk about the 12th man coming out of the stands to help his team, well there is one great 12th man in Blake Hance.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

You got outscored the rest of the game.

Yeah... and if frogs didn't hop, then they wouldn't keep hitting the ground with their ass.

Really? That's what you came back here to say?

Dude... you got whupped.

Yes, you gifted us a TD seconds into the game. On a play in which Ben declined an opportunity to participate by diving for and perhaps recovering the ball.

But that was it...

Every other "break" we got was manufactured by our Defense. You could see stunned players in black and gold in every camera shot.

Once we were up 28, then.... and only then... we went conservative and you closed the gap.

Then against all our pre-2020 history dating back to our rebirth... we actually were able to turn it back on again.

We were surprised. I'm betting you were flat stunned.

The line of the nite was when Collinsworth asked Al if he mentioned any of your three IDL all nite, and Al's answer was,, "No."

I'll add that after having to tackle Watt to keep him from breaking Baker in half, Kendall Lamm played very well. That hold was the last call Watt got IIRC.

Dude.... you got beat.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dawg in MD said:

Tale of the nite...

As I mentioned above after his first play Lamm played really well.

Dunn? Let's just say we did miss Bito, but I had to look really hard to see how and when.

And then Hance??? Blew his first assignment in spectacular fashion, but then went unnoticed the balance of the game... and that is a good thing when a 3rd-teamer is on the field.

So yes, the OL deserves a lot of praise, but as you intimated, those that pieced together" this line deserve at least as much.

Gentlemen... I propose a toast... please raise your glasses and/or "bowls"...

Here's to our FO for finding these misfits...

... and here's to our staff for making them fit.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Nero said:

The thing is that you can't take away that 1st quarter. But let's do the math. 

The Steelers outscored by 17 a team that was rightfully winning by 28 after 13 mins of gametime. Last 8 points in the last minute when everyone and their mothers knew it was over. So to sum it up, in 3 full quarters of a game, the Steelers put 9 points more than the team they were rallying against. Not so great. 

We're probably losing next week since our secondary is awful and KC is a monster team in offense, but you can agree there's something to celebrate given how our team performed in front of a historic rival.    

Better reply than mine was since you employed analysis based upon factual data...

... but I had more fun replying my way... ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

OK.... so you did make a reasonable-ish reply.

Even if this one does run contrary to your earlier "We outscored you after..." .

I'm just glad I did not see it until I'd already made my 1st reply... might have lost my edginess.

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And absolutely this WAS an undermanned Browns team.   No HC....no...2-3 other coaches.  No OBJ.  No 3/4ths of our starting DBs. No practice practically all week. 

Who else were we missing?

Steelers:   the only guy I know that was out for them was Joe Haden. 

Let's be nice and mention the Steelers were missing  Devin Bush and Bud Dupree.  That didn't stop them from  beating the Colts though. 

PS 2021 the Steelers are in cap hell, to the tune of being $21 million under water. Stay tuned.

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

OK.... so you did make a reasonable-ish reply.

Even if this one does run contrary to your earlier "We outscored you after..." .

I'm just glad I did not see it until I'd already made my 1st reply... might have lost my edginess.

We were commenting when the Steelers started coming back. Yup, the prevent victory defense. We didn't break out the victory port until after Takitaki's int. And in honor of the historic win, it was an equally historic 1977 Fonseca.  :)

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Let's be nice and mention the Steelers were missing  Devin Bush and Bud Dupree.  That didn't stop them from  beating the Colts though. 

PS 2021 the Steelers are in cap hell, to the tune of being $21 million under water. Stay tuned.

Well, I imagine we had a number of people on IR as well:   Vernon, Delpit.  Hubbard,  Harris,  Hodge, Bitonio.    So, no. No need to be nice.  They can make excuses for the injuries they had. Fine. OUrs were just as bad or worse is my point. 

4 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Well you can't spot a team 28 points in the first quarter and expect to win. You got outscored the rest of the game. I wouldn't get tooooo cocky about it and no our fan base is not doing those things. The fringe is but the fringe still cries about forcing Troy to retire or Hines ward. 

Well I guess you get credit for changing your terrible argument of 1 half to now 1 quarter.

And apparently you forgot the part where you said you don't make excuses and would come eat your crow.

Trying to use the excuse, "well we scored more after..." Or the "when we play our best"

But let's keep going with your narrative even after losing Bush and Dupree that had best defense. Well exactly how did this GREAT defense give up 41? But we can overlook that.

And this assertion (from any decent team) that IF we played our best... almost every team will win if you play your best. Most teams will win if they play their best.

You wanted so bad to discredit everything that was said about the rushing, and you had 52 yards. And don't forget you saying NOBODY could run on Steelers, hmm 127 yards. 

And you may want people to ignore it, but at either 21 or 28 to 0, you came on here and declared it was over and you were thinking about turning it off. But now we are supposed to give credit for you outscoring them over 3 quarters? And you can pretend if it makes you feel better that the Browns didn't change up their strategy in 2nd half which allowed those scores. But at NO TIME did the game seem in doubt.

And I know you want to ignore your constant assessment that the Steelers turned it around or whatever against the Colts, and got right/healthy. 

And since the Browns won, that means they were 2-1 against Steelers, and that the Steelers (who weren't trying to win) last week kept it CLOSER than these Steelers that were now back to the 11-0 team. 

Just think, the Steelers had the same amount of wins against Cleveland (and a worse win %) as did the Bengals over the Steelers

Maybe, just maybe the Browns were the BETTER team. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Well I guess you get credit for changing your terrible argument of 1 half to now 1 quarter.

And apparently you forgot the part where you said you don't make excuses and would come eat your crow.

Trying to use the excuse, "well we scored more after..." Or the "when we play our best"

But let's keep going with your narrative even after losing Bush and Dupree that had best defense. Well exactly how did this GREAT defense give up 41? But we can overlook that.

And this assertion (from any decent team) that IF we played our best... almost every team will win if you play your best. Most teams will win if they play their best.

You wanted so bad to discredit everything that was said about the rushing, and you had 52 yards. And don't forget you saying NOBODY could run on Steelers, hmm 127 yards. 

And you may want people to ignore it, but at either 21 or 28 to 0, you came on here and declared it was over and you were thinking about turning it off. But now we are supposed to give credit for you outscoring them over 3 quarters? And you can pretend if it makes you feel better that the Browns didn't change up their strategy in 2nd half which allowed those scores. But at NO TIME did the game seem in doubt.

And I know you want to ignore your constant assessment that the Steelers turned it around or whatever against the Colts, and got right/healthy. 

And since the Browns won, that means they were 2-1 against Steelers, and that the Steelers (who weren't trying to win) last week kept it CLOSER than these Steelers that were now back to the 11-0 team. 

Just think, the Steelers had the same amount of wins against Cleveland (and a worse win %) as did the Bengals over the Steelers

Maybe, just maybe the Browns were the BETTER team. 

So in what context did I issue that response? It was in response to a ridiculous statement one that isn't held by the serious part of our fan base. I've already given credit where credit is due and the steelers played a terrible game. Acting like it was just a matter of the Browns being better and not the steelers playing a horrendous first quarter is on you and your "infinite wisdom" I know what I watched. I watched villanueva getting dog walked like he has been for a while and pouncey shitting down his leg. You don't give up 28 points in a fucking quarter just because the other team is "better"

I'm done in here for a bit. Good luck this weekend. 

So in what context did I issue that response? It was in response to a ridiculous statement one that isn't held by the serious part of our fan base. I've already given credit where credit is due and the steelers played a terrible game. Acting like it was just a matter of the Browns being better and not the steelers playing a horrendous first quarter is on you and your "infinite wisdom" I know what I watched. I watched villanueva getting dog walked like he has been for a while and pouncey shitting down his leg. You don't give up 28 points in a fucking quarter just because the other team is "better"

Exactly where did I say that the Steelers didn't play bad?

You won't find that because it doesn't exist. But you are the one who offered up that you won't run and will eat your crow. You just firmly believed you wouldn't have to.

And issue what response? You have many times said that the Steelers turned their season back around based on the 2nd half of Colts game. So by simple deduction, you were discounting the previous 3 losses as behind them. And since they sat some guys in Week 17, and since you yourself admitted how bad they were over the 3 previous games, you had 1 promising half in the last 16. Which means, going into a playoff game that you were supremely confident about, that you had no worry over, and even overlooked when discussing what you could do when playing well, you would have seen what you wanted in 6.25% in over a month.

Now, to your premise about how bad the Steelers looked, yep no question about it. Some of their own doing and some of the Browns doing. But trying to get away with the "we outscored you last 3 quarters" is a HUGE excuse. And I thought honestly you were better than that. And now honestly I have lost respect for you when you are saying you are leaving. Not because you are a Steelers fan, not because you have some opinion I disagree with, but because you went out of your way to make it clear to everyone that no matter the outcome you would be here. And we know good and well that had the outcome been in your favor that you would be here hounding others, especially Gipper. 

Now if you want to have a real discussion about the game, then by all means we can. And you don't even have to admit that Browns are better, but you haven't really given them credit. You have said they deserved to win (which only means that for some reason they were the better team that day). But when you qualify it with "Steelers played terrible", that is not giving credit, that is explaining it off. And trying to say it's on me (anyone else) that differs in observation because you know what you saw. 1, you are seeing that from a biased perspective (nothing wrong with that), but to act like because YOU saw it that way it has to be that way is wrong. And I know, and you do as well, I KNOW how to evaluate a football game. 

In conclusion, I have no issue at all with you being of the opinion that had Pittsburgh played better then they would have won. All I am saying is that maybe factor in that aside from the 1st play Browns were some of the reason they played terrible in your words. And I think that your conclusion could have merit, but the evidence you are trying to use to support that view is incredibly flawed, ridiculous, and borders on excuses.

So  a guy getting "dog walked" ....or a team getting dominated on both sides of the line  is just "having a bad game".   Well....yes, they had a "bad game" in this sense:  The Browns OL and the Browns DL  were looking like The Hulk vs. Thor in Ragnorak.  They were having a bad game because the Browns made them look bad, because they were that much better.