THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 18: Browns vs Steelers Wild Card Game

Dutch Oven

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I suspect that is about right.      3 pts for home field....only  1-1.5 pts otherwise. 

Yeesh. I never bet, but me thinks I'd be ALL over this line. I mean, a team who barely beat the backup QB has to go to THEIR house in a week to take on the varsity squad AND you have to factor in the fact that we literally NEVER beat them there. Like, virtually never. That HAS to factor into it. 

On the flip side...we are playing with house money and the Steelers haven't exactly looked like world beaters in the past month. Here's a hot take, and feel free to laugh in my face:

Either they kick our ass, or we kick theirs. This game won't be close. 

7 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yeesh. I never bet, but me thinks I'd be ALL over this line. I mean, a team who barely beat the backup QB has to go to THEIR house in a week to take on the varsity squad AND you have to factor in the fact that we literally NEVER beat them there. Like, virtually never. That HAS to factor into it. 

On the flip side...we are playing with house money and the Steelers haven't exactly looked like world beaters in the past month. Here's a hot take, and feel free to laugh in my face:

Either they kick our ass, or we kick theirs. This game won't be close. 

Looked pretty damn unstoppable second half against the Colts.  I'm happy you all made the playoffs, truly and i really don't want to rain on parades. The Steelers were pretty damn beaten down courtesy of essentially losing a bye week.  Sure they had the week off in week 4 but in what world is a week 4 bye truly a bye? Tomlin rested those starters for a reason and frankly im surprised he didn't rest even more.  The Steelers need to be the team that played in the second half of the colts game.  We are gonna find out.  Any given sunday, especially in division. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Looked pretty damn unstoppable second half against the Colts.  I'm happy you all made the playoffs, truly and i really don't want to rain on parades. The Steelers were pretty damn beaten down courtesy of essentially losing a bye week.  Sure they had the week off in week 4 but in what world is a week 4 bye truly a bye? Tomlin rested those starters for a reason and frankly im surprised he didn't rest even more.  The Steelers need to be the team that played in the second half of the colts game.  We are gonna find out.  Any given sunday, especially in division. 

I'd truly be beyond shocked if Browns won. If I was a betting man, I'd throw down the house on the Steelers. 

6 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

The Steelers need to be the team that played in the second half of the colts game.  We are gonna find out.  Any given sunday, especially in division. 

I'm not Jiggins;) and I'm just not sold on your game starts..

1) A Bengals defense came out & stomped on Ben out the gate to the tune of 17-0..

2) Colts come to your house,with a real defense & jumped up big at half..

This Browns team has a knack of scoring on first drives..than just kept scoring at Tennessee in 1st half.. These Browns are also now 6-1 after taking leads to halftime.. 

What do you see as your teams issue at starting games?

9 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'd truly be beyond shocked if Browns won. If I was a betting man, I'd throw down the house on the Steelers. 

Any given sunday but our back ups even with the browns missing guys giving you all a run doesn't bode well.  Highsmith is very advanced for a rookie, incredibly so and Watt and Heyward will be back in the line up.  It's going to be pretty tough sledding just for a pressure stand point alone.  Unfortunately we aren't going to have Haden back but you all lost vernon so that's kind of a wash despite the difference in positions.  I also believe a lack of playoff experience will play a role and of course playing on the road even with minimized fan numbers.  We are going to find out and again any given sunday bangs like a giant gong but if i were to remove bias I don't like the Browns chances either.  No matter what the Browns are headed in the right direction and really thats all that matters because they IMO don't have what it takes to win a Super Bowl this season. 

4 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I'm not Jiggins;) and I'm just not sold on your game starts..

1) A Bengals defense came out & stomped on Ben out the gate to the tune of 17-0..

2) Colts come to your house,with a real defense & jumped up big at half..

This Browns team has a knack of scoring on first drives..than just kept scoring at Tennessee in 1st half.. These Browns are also now 6-1 after taking leads to halftime.. 

What do you see as your teams issue at starting games?

You are also ignoring what I said.  A lot of people here like to downplay what the Steelers went through this season.  Now sure other teams got jerked around too, the browns included but the Steelers got straight fucked.  The team started losing games because they were worn down, ben admitted to being mentally exhausted and it's all the result of how this season shook out with covid.  They were unstoppable in the second half of the colts game and a lot of that had to do with ben calling the offense.  I told several of my employees who are big browns and or bengals fans that the steelers were going to lose that game against the bengals and they did.  They didn't lose because of ineptitude, they lost because they were run the fuck down. The colts got shit stomped in the second half, the first half is irrelevant. 

Did not know I elected to ignore any of what you posted prior...now I may not have seen it prior? but i got your side thoughts now. thanks!       

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vagitron said:

It's going to be pretty tough sledding just for a pressure stand point alone.

Yep, that's my concern. Baker got sacked 3-4 times with the starters out, and we all know that Watt is going to make it much worse. If the Browns win, I don't see it being a traditional type victory. Like, I don't see Pittsburgh losing unless they just totally step on their Johnson and give up a special teams TD or throw a pick-6 or something. Obviously from a Browns fan standpoint I want to be wrong, but it's going to be a bitch trying to march down the field. 

The Steelers' offense is a bit of a mixed bag. Against a good defense, I'd say they might even struggle scoring. But they won't be going against a good defense...they'll be going against the Browns. Myles Garrett seems like he's Superman after being too close TO Kryptonite and he's not himself. Vernon is out. Gonna be very tough to get stops and basically need turnovers. 

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I agree, but...

I never thought I'd see Ohio State beat Clemson in my lifetime, and they beat their ass, so... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I agree, but...

I never thought I'd see Ohio State beat Clemson in my lifetime, and they beat their ass, so... 

Oh for sure. That's kind of why I said the game will be a blowout for someone. Crazy stuff can happen in the playoffs. Remember that one Steelers team that was like 9-7 or something that won the whole thing? 

11 hours ago, Vagitron said:

The Steelers need to be the team that played in the second half of the colts game.

Is it true that Ben called his own plays that half?

On 1/4/2021 at 11:45 PM, Vagitron said:

Any given sunday but our back ups even with the browns missing guys giving you all a run doesn't bode well.  Highsmith is very advanced for a rookie, incredibly so and Watt and Heyward will be back in the line up.  It's going to be pretty tough sledding just for a pressure stand point alone.  Unfortunately we aren't going to have Haden back but you all lost vernon so that's kind of a wash despite the difference in positions.  I also believe a lack of playoff experience will play a role and of course playing on the road even with minimized fan numbers.  We are going to find out and again any given sunday bangs like a giant gong but if i were to remove bias I don't like the Browns chances either.  No matter what the Browns are headed in the right direction and really thats all that matters because they IMO don't have what it takes to win a Super Bowl this season. 

they ain't going to the sb....this is a building yr and they still went 11-5....not a rebuild but a building block....they don't need any offensive draft picks....now the building block is on the defensive side....so look out....that is all we need....then we will be talking sb...and as far as the steelers go....they have no running game and that will haunt them in the playoffs...dey ain't goin to the sb either.....big ben is juuuuuuust about finished with his career....

On 1/5/2021 at 12:23 AM, gumby73 said:

Did not know I elected to ignore any of what you posted prior...now I may not have seen it prior? but i got your side thoughts now. thanks!       

Not trying to be combative, it's sometimes hard to decipher who is a dumb ass and who isn't here. Lol. I get names mixed up unless it's the usual suspects I interact with on the regular. 🤙😎

On 1/5/2021 at 10:52 AM, Tour2ma said:

Is it true that Ben called his own plays that half?

That is the word on the street. Randy sucks but Ben loves him. We haven't had a legit offensive coordinator in a long time. Hell I can't even think of a "Rockstar" oc for the steelers since I've been alive. Whis wasn't bad, Arians was okay but both guys had their issues. It's funny because with the amount of success Tomlin has had you would think he would have more of a coaching tree. We have had a long run of just okay offensive coordinators. Lebeau was obviously a staple on the other side and butler was the heir apparent. If Ben goes no huddle it's usually him drawing in the sand but yea he ran the o on his own second half of the Colts and they dominated. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, browns52 said:

they ain't going to the sb....this is a building yr and they still went 11-5....not a rebuild but a building block....they don't need any offensive draft picks....now the building block is on the defensive side....so look out....that is all we need....then we will be talking sb...and as far as the steelers go....they have no running game and that will haunt them in the playoffs...dey ain't goin to the sb either.....big ben is juuuuuuust about finished with his career....

I guess you are gonna find out, aren't ya? Ben isn't done. I was almost there before the Colts game and he was unstoppable in the second half. He is limited by our offensive coordinator. If they play like they did second half of the Colts they are making a deep run. The defense is elite and even with a flawed run game (a lot of it is our terrible oc) we have a ton of weapons. 

37 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I guess you are gonna find out, aren't ya? Ben isn't done. I was almost there before the Colts game and he was unstoppable in the second half. He is limited by our offensive coordinator. If they play like they did second half of the Colts they are making a deep run. The defense is elite and even with a flawed run game (a lot of it is our terrible oc) we have a ton of weapons. 

The Steelers should beat any of the wild card teams (Browns included), but will get their ass handed to them by Buffalo or KC.

41 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

The Steelers should beat any of the wild card teams (Browns included), but will get their ass handed to them by Buffalo or KC.

Based on what? Our defense stacks with anyone and that isn't even up for debate.  Our offense just needs to sustain drives.  The Steelers as of now have a 5-2 record against AFC playoff teams this season.  The chiefs have only played 2 AFC playoff teams thus far.  If Ben is rolling and the offense is sustaining drives they can beat the bills AND the chiefs.  I've said it several times and i will say it again.  I don't think some of you appreciate just how fucked the Steelers season was this year.  Forced bye week in week 4 and even then it wasn't determined to be a bye early so it wasn't even a full break.  They then played from week 4 all the way until now without a break and had a three game stretch in 12 days.  One game at a time but a steeler team firing on all cylinders can beat any team in the league, we have the roster and the talent. 

Practice reports... get your practice reports here...

Peeps not looking promising and we could use him with Hodge OUT.

image.thumb.png.95abf84136c686d91354e71eb10e495a.png

Short list to the east...

image.png.90ad707cc371fcc01e908200ff9306f4.png

And the Injury Reports...

Aside from the Covid kids, Vernon and Harris... not looking too bad.

Richardson is key this week IMO.

image.png.e816c1304255cd2f2b38a6b3459a728d.png

Looks like a lot of misinformation in PTG's... e.g., Ben's...

image.png.18f897580d249edd6c5a229734ac0ff2.png

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Based on what? Our defense stacks with anyone and that isn't even up for debate.  Our offense just needs to sustain drives.  The Steelers as of now have a 5-2 record against AFC playoff teams this season.  The chiefs have only played 2 AFC playoff teams thus far.  If Ben is rolling and the offense is sustaining drives they can beat the bills AND the chiefs.  I've said it several times and i will say it again.  I don't think some of you appreciate just how fucked the Steelers season was this year.  Forced bye week in week 4 and even then it wasn't determined to be a bye early so it wasn't even a full break.  They then played from week 4 all the way until now without a break and had a three game stretch in 12 days.  One game at a time but a steeler team firing on all cylinders can beat any team in the league, we have the roster and the talent. 

Keep dreaming.    No team that can't run the ball for more than like 30 yards per game is going to go very far in the playoffs.   They will have a hard enough time against the depleted Browns.....and likely slim to none against the Bills, or Chiefs or Ravens or Titans.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Keep dreaming.    No team that can't run the ball for more than like 30 yards per game is going to go very far in the playoffs.   They will have a hard enough time against the depleted Browns.....and likely slim to none against the Bills, or Chiefs or Ravens or Titans.  

The run game woes are part of the team being run down and injuries across the line, also randy's unimaginative play calling.  I don't need to dream, i saw how they played in the second half of the colts game and that was enough for me.  They fried a very solid defense and did it with ease. If it goes any different than your above prediction i expect you to be in here eating handfuls of your bs.  I will certainly be in here for my licks too. 

9 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

The run game woes are part of the team being run down and injuries across the line, also randy's unimaginative play calling.  I don't need to dream, i saw how they played in the second half of the colts game and that was enough for me.  They fried a very solid defense and did it with ease. If it goes any different than your above prediction i expect you to be in here eating handfuls of your bs.  I will certainly be in here for my licks too. 

The run game woes are a result of not have very good RBs.  

And yes, you ARE dreaming.   You may get past the Browns,  but those other teams will  A.  Not be depleted  and B.  Are just better

If you go up against Buffalo, they will beat you like a rented mule. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The run game woes are a result of not have very good RBs.  

And yes, you ARE dreaming.   You may get past the Browns,  but those other teams will  A.  Not be depleted  and B.  Are just better

If you go up against Buffalo, they will beat you like a rented mule. 

Please, it has very little to do with Connor or snell. The team has been run down, injuries along the offensive line and again our oc sucks. Connor has had plenty of success, he's just has a hard time staying healthy. 

9 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Please, it has very little to do with Connor or snell. The team has been run down, injuries along the offensive line and again our oc sucks. Connor has had plenty of success, he's just has a hard time staying healthy. 

They suck and yinz would get beat like a red headed step child 

9 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Based on what?

Oh....I don’t know, maybe it could based on the fact you guys don’t have a running game, and are dead last in rushing yards per game.

I watched the Bills hold Conner to 18 yards rushing on 10 carries, and then pinned their ears back and go after Ben.

If you think Rapistberger will carry the team on his shoulders to the SB, you’re delusional.

Even the pundits on the NFL Network have the Ratbirds ranked higher than the Steelers.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

you think Rapistberger will carry the team on his shoulders to the SB, you’re delusional.

Even the pundits on the NFL Network have the Ratbirds ranked higher than the Steelers.

I would agree with you, but Ben has been here a zillion times and I've learned that the Steelers typically do well in the post season. Watt is going to murder us. Losing Bitonio means we can't run the ball (see results of games missing Teller). We still don't have a vertical threat, so they'll just crowd the field and plug up everything. Add in the fact that we're without our coaches and it's a recipe for making easy money on Fanduel. 

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

The other side of my brain has something to say too. The Steelers are not coming into this game on a high note. They've lost 4-5, and if not for a spectacular comeback vs Indy, would be stuck in a 5 game losing streak, with losses to Washington and Cincy minus Burrow. I will say that the Bengals loss was bizarre and Cincy was absolutely on fire. They were making crazy 3rd down passes in between 3 defenders, qb rushes, great catches, and whatever else. It was a magical Bengal game and the Steelers got caught.