THE BROWNS BOARD

Answering the Complicated Odell Beckham Question

Vambo

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/answering-the-odell-beckham-question

There are issues with Cleveland Browns receiver Odell Beckham that need to be resolved if he's going to be successful, but it's a mistake to attribute the dramatic improvement of the passing game entirely on the occurrence of his injury.

Just in terms of what Mayfield was seeing from defenses, where his eyes are and how he was manipulating defenders is night and day from the earlier part of the season. In other words, if Beckham were healthy, there's every reason to believe he would be benefiting as much as every other weapon in this offense is currently.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Vambo said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/answering-the-odell-beckham-question

There are issues with Cleveland Browns receiver Odell Beckham that need to be resolved if he's going to be successful, but it's a mistake to attribute the dramatic improvement of the passing game entirely on the occurrence of his injury.

Just in terms of what Mayfield was seeing from defenses, where his eyes are and how he was manipulating defenders is night and day from the earlier part of the season. In other words, if Beckham were healthy, there's every reason to believe he would be benefiting as much as every other weapon in this offense is currently.

His money will be much better spent on the defensive side of the ball. Best of luck to him.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Do you think maybe we could have used him on Sunday? 

We could've used Jerry Rice and Flipper Anderson too.... and don't even get me started on the '85 Bears defense. 

37 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

having him in the field with the others makes hunt and chub lethal.

Having him on the field will force Baker into bad habits...

The great tragedy of OBJ getting hurt during the Bengals game is that he would have likely had 150 yards and 2 tds. I want to run it all back with our WRs. With a real offseason and everyone on the same page. 

For shits and giggles l ran some numbers on Browns rushing stats this year with OBJ, and without OBJ. The theory here is that OBJ “stretches the field” and loosens up the run game.

I counted the second Bengals game in the “without OBJ” column since he went down really early. Here’s what l came up with.

With OBJ: 6 games/ 194 rushing attempts/ 1,017 yards/ 32.3 attempts per game/ 5.24 yards per carry

Without OBJ: 9 games/ 270 rushing attempts/ 1,165 yards/ 30 attempts per game/ 4.31 yards per carry

The most significant of those numbers is we were gaining almost and entire extra yard per carry with OBJ in there. In a game of inches, that’s like 33 of them. 

The attempts columns were similar. We tried carrying it a little over 2 more times on average per game with OBJ as opposed to without. 

I realize there’s other factors at play, but that’s at least some indication that having OBJ, or a guy like him, is good for the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

For shits and giggles l ran some numbers on Browns rushing stats this year with OBJ, and without OBJ. The theory here is that OBJ “stretches the field” and loosens up the run game.

I counted the second Bengals game in the “without OBJ” column since he went down really early. Here’s what l came up with.

With OBJ: 6 games/ 194 rushing attempts/ 1,017 yards/ 32.3 attempts per game/ 5.24 yards per carry

Without OBJ: 9 games/ 270 rushing attempts/ 1,165 yards/ 30 attempts per game/ 4.31 yards per carry

The most significant of those numbers is we were gaining almost and entire extra yard per carry with OBJ in there. In a game of inches, that’s like 33 of them. 

The attempts columns were similar. We tried carrying it a little over 2 more times on average per game with OBJ as opposed to without. 

I realize there’s other factors at play, but that’s at least some indication that having OBJ, or a guy like him, is good for the team.

I want his talent with out the attention whore antics...

13 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I can see that.  I want whores who give attention, not ones who demand it.  

Did you hear about the Aggie who spent $200 to stay overnight in a Warehouse in La Grange? He had heard on the ZZ Top song of that title that "They gotta lotta nice girls down there".🤗💃

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2020 at 11:26 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

Thanks for the research. I've been saying all along that the run game has suffered since OBJ went down without doing the research. People would tell me BS but its obvious to me. I believe the offense was still trying to find their way early on. It appears now they are finding their way and OBJ with compliment it when he returns. 

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

What are you talking about? He never did such before. The O is worse with him, the #s prove it. 

Exactly right...

On 12/30/2020 at 10:57 AM, nickers said:

I want his talent with out the attention whore antics...

Definitely has been an issue in his past, but I must have blinked and missed them this season. So you will have to refresh my memory.

The guy just wants to be a part of a winning team. I can handle that.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:32 PM, Icecube said:

What are you talking about? He never did such before. The O is worse with him, the #s prove it. 

So you skipped Ibleedbrowns' post?