THE BROWNS BOARD

STEELER WEEK..... v2.0 ..... and this one is in 2021!

Tour2ma

56 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

For the umpteenth time.....the #2 seed may be on the line for the Steelers...as opposed to the #3 seed.    Which would mean the difference of possibly having a game against Buffalo at home instead of having to travel to Buffalo for the second round game.......assuming they both get past their first game.   Sitting their main players would be counterproductive to that end. 

Understood.

Does the 2 seed get a bye?

Will the 2 seed Buffalo Bills being playing in front a loud crowd making Steeler calls difficult?

But There is no right or wrong answer to sit or not sit obviously if TJ Watt pulls a hammy next week or Ben breaks a collar bone.  Steeler fans will say it was the wrong answer 

I think a lot of you have the wrong idea with Mike Tomlin. I don't think he gives a single shit about "keeping the Browns down". The man is focused on his team and only his team. I frankly expect a lot of starters to sit seeing as we really didn't get a bye week. A week 4 bye doesn't do a fucking thing and the team is on the record saying they are mentally exhausted because of moving stuff around with covid. Tj is one sack away from Harrison sack record but I don't think he or tomlin give a damn. I have no idea what to expect. 

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

A quick perusal of the stats Tour. The Steelers had 20 count 'em 20 rushing yards against the Colts. We may not be able to beat them- but with that pathetic running game the Steelers are one and done in the playoffs...  

We looked awful in the first half and woke up in the second. The issues with the run game are two fold. Randy and his calls and a banged up on-line. We didn't have many rushing carries either. Dotson is in and healthy and he's what we've needed so we shall see if the ground game struggles continue. However with Ben throwing the ball down field and our arsenal at wr it opened up the run game. Sooooo much of our run game problem outside of what I already mentioned is teams haven't been afraid of the pass because randy has been calling dink and dunks. All of which worked early until teams started scheming for it. The second half yesterday was throwing the ball down field and Ben lit them up. No idea what team is showing up next week or in the playoffs but if it's the team in the second half against the Colts I'm feeling much better about things moving forward. 

23 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

We looked awful in the first half and woke up in the second. The issues with the run game are two fold. Randy and his calls and a banged up on-line. We didn't have many rushing carries either. Dotson is in and healthy and he's what we've needed so we shall see if the ground game struggles continue. However with Ben throwing the ball down field and our arsenal at wr it opened up the run game. Sooooo much of our run game problem outside of what I already mentioned is teams haven't been afraid of the pass because randy has been calling dink and dunks. All of which worked early until teams started scheming for it. The second half yesterday was throwing the ball down field and Ben lit them up. No idea what team is showing up next week or in the playoffs but if it's the team in the second half against the Colts I'm feeling much better about things moving forward. 

Kind of what we thought before our matchup. But obviously Woods didn’t take it to heart. 

Ben wasn’t going downfield and it is easier to scheme against that approach. 

Playoff time comes one week early for Browns fans..... what more could any of us want? 

You wanna be someone Browns? Then go be someone.  

20 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Agreed,  Ben looked like his old self in the 2nd half. 

Keys for the Browns?  Who's going to be able to play? Harrison was kept out for an additional week against the Jets, and that hurt us badly on some busted coverages. What's with Teller's ankle, and Wills "mystery" illness that kept him out against NY? Garrett obviously isn't back to 100% either. 

Then we have the whole covid crew to worry about. Just my medical POV on that one.  NFL overkill. You don't magically become infectious 24 or even 36 hours after being exposed. It takes a while for the virus load to build up to the point where you can spread it. If it means anything, couple months ago we had a restaurant gathering with 10 friends, one table for over a hour with no masks. Turns out one of the group was positive.  No one else came up positive afterwards.  FWIW  Lucky? Who knows.  

4 hours ago, D Bone said:

Playoff time comes one week early for Browns fans..... what more could any of us want? 

You wanna be someone Browns? Then go be someone.  

Exactly. Win or go home. Can't be praying for a minor miracle for the Texans to beat the Titans and get in through the back door. EDIT: and it's not that simple...  

The complete Browns scenarios...  

CLE win OR

IND loss OR (fat chance- they play the hapless Jags) 

TEN loss + MIA win or tie + BAL win or tie OR

CLE tie + BAL loss OR

CLE tie + MIA loss OR

CLE tie + TEN loss OR

CLE tie + IND tie OR

CLE tie + TEN tie + BAL win + MIA win

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Thank you for looking that up...
I think there is still remnants of the rivalry.   I think Ben certainly enjoys beating us. I think they (Tomlin, Front Office) prefer us being down and making a playoff spot doesn’t fall in line with that...but I think they actually want to play us more this year than say the Ravens.

I think they are worried too if Mason starts there is jawing, maybe suspension type altercations and you can’t have that the week before the playoffs.  In that case, I’d probably play Hobbs instead of Mason. 

First, you're welcome...

The only reason I see PTG playing all their starters is to keep their momentum going. After three losses and and a bad looking 1st-half yesterday they finally clicked in the 2nd half. I think this brings up a hybrid approach ala the 2nd or 3rd Preseason game where starters start, but then sit as soon as they have gotten work in and look good.

Rivalry impact? Minimal to none. As our frequent visitor from Steelerdom reminds us we've been so noncompetitive for so long that PTG fans have lost interest in our "rivalry". To the extent one exists it is in the minds of Browns fans and as we've repeatedly seen here the intensity on our side is highly variable. As for PTG ownership I can't see any view other than the more rivalries, intense rivalries, the better. Doesn't mean they'll roll over for us, but also doesn't mean they'll work to keep us "down".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

First, you're welcome...

The only reason I see PTG playing all their starters is to keep their momentum going. After three losses and and a bad looking 1st-half yesterday they finally clicked in the 2nd half. I think this brings up a hybrid approach ala the 2nd or 3rd Preseason game where starters start, but then sit as soon as they have gotten work in and look good.

Rivalry impact? Minimal to none. As our frequent visitor from Steelerdom reminds us we've been so noncompetitive for so long that PTG fans have lost interest in our "rivalry". To the extent one exists it is in the minds of Browns fans and as we've repeatedly seen here the intensity on our side is highly variable. As for PTG ownership I can't see any view other than the more rivalries, intense rivalries, the better. Doesn't mean they'll roll over for us, but also doesn't mean they'll work to keep us "down".

I could definitely see a hybrid approach (play half) especially on Offense.  

Defensively, I think they sit some guys...but remember The Steelers are playing with backups now (LBs) on defense but guys like Watt, Heyward, Tuitt, Fitzpatrick- they are already rolling, communicating well and mostly playing well.   The rest factor IMO outweighs the need for reps and they need to win a somewhat meaningless game.

As much as the rivalry is seemingly not thought of as big concern in this matchup (and you have a point) the outcome of the game is not a large concern either.  If they controlled their own destiny for a bye- I would certainly expect the outcome to be more important. 

And as much as we hate to hear it- they want to play us in the playoffs.  They don’t think we are ready and our defense poses a smaller challenge than say the Ravens and Colts.  I think everyone wants the Dolphins- good story this year but they are overrated hot garbage. I think we would have beat the Dolphins Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I think a lot of you have the wrong idea with Mike Tomlin. I don't think he gives a single shit about "keeping the Browns down". The man is focused on his team and only his team. I frankly expect a lot of starters to sit seeing as we really didn't get a bye week. A week 4 bye doesn't do a fucking thing and the team is on the record saying they are mentally exhausted because of moving stuff around with covid. Tj is one sack away from Harrison sack record but I don't think he or tomlin give a damn. I have no idea what to expect. 

I agree mostly. Put in the course of being just worried about his team I would think that he would want the number two seed so they could have Homefield vantage for the first two games. Fair to say. And that would mean playing for tilt boogie this week.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I agree mostly. Put in the course of being just worried about his team I would think that he would want the number two seed so they could have Homefield vantage for the first two games. Fair to say. And that would mean playing for tilt boogie this week.

Home field advantage?  Steelers don’t have to take a 45min. Flight? Don’t have to Stay in a Suite in downtown Buffalo?  

Tomlin hasn't said if he's sitting any starters yet but I'd be VERY surprised if they sat anyone who wasn't injured. In other words, get ready for Ben and Watt. 

13 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

... get ready for Ben and Watt. 

Watt was the very first member of their D I thought of as I read SdB's above post... then I thought of Heyward. Those are the two of their front seven Tomlin dare not get hurt in an unimportant game. Of their back four Fitz comes to mind.

As I wrote above on Offense I can see Ben and the rest starting, but if they play well early, then sitting down.

Some good news off the wire...

https://www.nbc4i.com/sports/nfl/nfl-cleveland/browns-covid-contact-players-eligible-to-return-thursday/

Each needs to test negative to return.

Let us pray...

... so they can play...

... and then can prey.

Green eggs and ham...

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

unless the league goes into the Bubble like I suggested

dont you think it is a little late for that if that was going to happen I am sure plans would be under way some time ago

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ATOM said:

dont you think it is a little late for that if that was going to happen I am sure plans would be under way some time ago

Exactly great in theory but a pipe dream at this point.  UNLESS a major surge jeopardized the rest of the year.  The COVID issue is front and center for us but not so much for other teams whether they’ve had it badly already or not that bad at all. 

8 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Exactly great in theory but a pipe dream at this point.  UNLESS a major surge jeopardized the rest of the year.  The COVID issue is front and center for us but not so much for other teams whether they’ve had it badly already or not that bad at all. 

yep wear your mask and wash ur hands and kick the squeelers ass

41 minutes ago, ATOM said:

Probably but then the league is going to have to figure that the playoffs are going to be marred by missing players including perhaps some top superstars. I guess they are willing to live with that. So maybe Pat Mahomes Misses a game or something 

Just now, The Gipper said:

Probably but then the league is going to have to figure that the playoffs are going to be marred by missing players including perhaps some top superstars. I guess they are willing to live with that. So maybe Pat Mahomes Misses a game or something 

it is what it is fuck it If someone like mahommes or a rogers cant play no one shed any tears for us yesterday

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

My gut says Ben, JuJu and others won't play, but the Browns had better prepare for all of them to be playing for 4 full quarters. 

Either way, it's going to be fun..... unless the entire oline and dline are having some weird fat dude tub party.

Then it will be a lot less fun.  

28 minutes ago, Silver slayer said:

How many have come off covid list? 

Any yet?

I think they all will on Thursday pending any setbacks. 

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You probably fall for all the fads,  pet rocks, cabbage patch dolls,  the Macarena etc.   and you are oh so limited on your perspectives that maybe you are a day trader .

The Browns/Steelers is the most deep seated rivalry in the AFCN.  

The Ravens/Steelers  rivalry has been the "hot" rivalry by default in this division only because the Browns...and to some extent the Bengals  have been out to lunch for so long that they have ceded all competiveness in this division to those two teams. 

Nevertheless, the Browns Steelers rivalry IS the most historic, traditional rivalry in this division.   It just needs/needed a spark to come back to life. Last year was a start of the refueling process.  This game here:  it could bring things all back. 

Starting the last season the Browns actually won a playoff game, 1994, the Browns have a record of 6-39-1 vs the Steelers.

You sound like a fucking delusional idiot screaming at a random tree. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, beare said:

didnt buffalo wrap up 2 seed tonight?

Nope. The Bills wrap it up if either: 1) They beat the Dolphins  or 2) We beat the Steelers. Buffalo wins any tie because they beat the Steelers head to head.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Starting the last season the Browns actually won a playoff game, 1994, the Browns have a record of 6-39-1 vs the Steelers.

You sound like a fucking delusional idiot screaming at a random tree. 

Yeah- the Browns- Steelers used to be  a great rivalry a long time ago- if you like living on past glory.  It's not going to be a great one again until we (the Browns) start regularly beating the Steelers in games that matter. Like knocking them out of the playoffs, or beating them in a playoff game. 

• Upvote 1