THE BROWNS BOARD

STEELER WEEK..... v2.0 ..... and this one is in 2021!

Tour2ma

And this one is in our house...

Here's to starting the New Year right... and a ton of negative CoVid tests in Berea...

Here are the bad guys...

image.thumb.png.4b0045339b914fac73c364ae82361d82.png

• Like 1

Just now, Tour2ma said:

And this one is in our house...

Here are the bad guys...

image.thumb.png.4b0045339b914fac73c364ae82361d82.png

You know what, Tour? If you would have told me before the season started that we'd have to beat Pittsburgh at our house at the final game to be in the playoffs...I would have said, "Hell freaking yeah!" 

It's a terrible match up for us, we're up against it, and we're in uncharted territory, but sooner or later we've got to become a post season team. We get two games at the end of the effing year and we've got to win ONE. 

A quick perusal of the stats Tour. The Steelers had 20 count 'em 20 rushing yards against the Colts. We may not be able to beat them- but with that pathetic running game the Steelers are one and done in the playoffs...  

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

A quick perusal of the stats Tour. The Steelers had 20 count 'em 20 rushing yards against the Colts. We may not be able to beat them- but with that pathetic running game the Steelers are one and done in the playoffs...  

Well....it is possible that that one they may have to play could be The Browns!!

Tomlin’s call on who plays and who doesn’t is the biggest report this week.

Of course our COVID list too

What are they playing for??? Home field over Buffalo if they make second round. 

The Steelers are pretty beat and haven’t had a bye week since Week 4.

They had their “get right” game today.  Do they want to press their Health against a rival fighting for their playoff life? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, hoorta said:

We can’t cover and our defensive coordinator doesn’t believe in blitzes.  Any chance we have in January will be ground and pound score TDs over FGs and limit opposition possessions. 

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Tomlin’s call on who plays and who doesn’t is the biggest report this week.

What are they playing for??? Home field over Buffalo if they make second round. 

The Steelers are pretty beat and haven’t had a bye week since Week 4.

They had their “get right” game today.  Do they want to press their Health against a rival fighting for their playoff life? 

I don't see them letting up.       I would think they would want to put the nail in our coffin if they could.   As much as people may deny it....this is still THE rivalry of the AFCN. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I don't see them letting up.       I would think they would want to put the nail in our coffin if they could.   As much as people may deny it....this is still THE rivalry of the AFCN. 

No it is not.

You saying it over and over doesn't make it so. 

The Steelers and Ravens are THE rivalry of the AFC North. In fact, it's probably the best rivalry in the entire NFL.

The Steelers vs Browns rivalry is akin to the bully kicking sand in the face of the 95lb weakling on the beach. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe- they seemingly understand the rivalry better. 

It is has been a long tough year mentally and physically a bye week could help them this next stretch too. 

And I could see them being comfortable with potentially playing us again 3 vs. 6 game.   Sitting guys...giving us a vanilla look and then bringing out the heavy artillery to beat us in Pitt the following week.  

one sports book has assumed it already and we are -7.5 favorites 

• Thanks 1

I don't think ANYBODY in the whole world had us at 10-5 going into our last game with the Steelers. 10-6 or 11-5, playoffs or no playoffs, you got to be happy with that. It will be interesting to see what direction they go in the off season and the draft.

42 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Maybe- they seemingly understand the rivalry better. 

What do you  mean the Steeler's understand it better?   Having a "better understanding" means they have had the better Owners/ GMs/coaches/QBs players.  I am not sure that is better "understanding"....it is better competence however.     I guess you can surmise that our litany of crappy coaches and crappy GMs and crappy QBs didn't understand the rivalry.....or you can say they just sucked at football in every aspect of the game...not just rivalry comprehension. 

It is has been a long tough year mentally and physically a bye week could help them this next stretch too. 

Again, not sure where you are coming.  Steelers will NOT be in for any bye week.  Only one team gets a bye before the playoffs, and that is already clinched by the Chiefs. 

And I could see them being comfortable with potentially playing us again 3 vs. 6 game.   Sitting guys...giving us a vanilla look and then bringing out the heavy artillery to beat us in Pitt the following week.  

Well....they could, I guess....if they had such a thing.  

But I still do not see them holding back, for their own reasons. 

one sports book has assumed it already and we are -7.5 favorites 

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

and to some extent the Bengals

I don't think so. You see that last game, those boys came to PLAY. I never get the sense the Browns get that pumped to play the Steelers. I don't think they were even pumped for today's game against the Jets. It's almost like they forgot what was on the line. 

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

I don't think so. You see that last game, those boys came to PLAY. I never get the sense the Browns get that pumped to play the Steelers. I don't think they were even pumped for today's game against the Jets. It's almost like they forgot what was on the line. 

I am talking historically.....like the past  25 years.  While the Bengals had a few decent years.....for the most part  this has been a two team division in terms of competitiveness.  Fair to say? 

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/mike-tomlin-on-resting-starters-for-finale-well-ponder-those-possibilities-in-the-morning/

sounds likely guys will sit.  

the “bye week” would be week 17 for guys that sit.  

Well, yes.  I still think that is gamesmanship and will only believe it when I see it .   Steelers CAN still get the #2 seed and what comes with that:    2 home playoff games.

That is...unless the league goes into the Bubble like I suggested. 

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, yes.  I still think that is gamesmanship and will only believe it when I see it .   Steelers CAN still get the #2 seed and what comes with that:    2 home playoff games.

That is...unless the league goes into the Bubble like I suggested. 

What is home field this year?  The Bills can’t even have fans at their stadium. Pitt to Buffalo short bus ride 

If I had to guess I think Ben plays a quarter maybe.  Maybe the WRs follow that plan.  Watt sits- he goes down they are done.

Probably Heyward/Tuitt vets in the trenches.

Maybe guys that have nagging injuries this year.

I would probably give the Oline a little more burn and try to fix the run game 

Anyone know what Tomlin has done in the past?

10 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

What is home field this year?  The Bills can’t even have fans at their stadium. Pitt to Buffalo short bus ride 

Did you see the Green Bay game tonight?  THAT was a home field advantage.   

Like I said in my Bubble thread, I would like to see no one have a home field in the first two rounds......but I doubt the league is going to go with that. 

If I had to guess I think Ben plays a quarter maybe.  Maybe the WRs follow that plan.  Watt sits- he goes down they are done.

Probably Heyward/Tuitt vets in the trenches.

Maybe guys that have nagging injuries this year.

I would probably give the Oline a little more burn and try to fix the run game 

I am guessing that their starters will stay in the game as long as it is competitive.  I would like to see them all go out after we get up on them like we got up on the Cowboys and Titans.....

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Steelers haven't been able to run the ball for weeks.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

He's rested players.

Case in point was 2017 when in Week 16 Ben and Bell played vs. HOU, but both sat Week 17 vs. their bitter, bitter rivals, The Cleveland Browns.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712250htx.htm  ...................... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712310pit.htm

image.png.2ca014c9e213f56cf62b49fd0b76f94b.pngimage.png.3a2b0fcbf06503e435415e8910293b5c.png

lmao at how many times can one man can be wrong.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I am talking historically.....like the past  25 years.  While the Bengals had a few decent years.....for the most part  this has been a two team division in terms of competitiveness.  Fair to say? 

Yeah the Steelers and the Ravens. The 0-16, 1-15 Browns were penciled in as a W. Maybe the current players heard from their dad or grandpa about the  big rivalry with the Browns.  Outside of the Kosar years, it's been lopsided.  Roethlisberger has more wins in First Energy than any Cleveland qb since 1999. 

• Zombo featured this topic
7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Steelers haven't been able to run the ball for weeks.

He's rested players.

Case in point was 2017 when in Week 16 Ben and Bell played vs. HOU, but both sat Week 17 vs. their bitter, bitter rivals, The Cleveland Browns.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712250htx.htm  ...................... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712310pit.htm

image.png.2ca014c9e213f56cf62b49fd0b76f94b.pngimage.png.3a2b0fcbf06503e435415e8910293b5c.png

lmao at how many times can one man can be wrong.

Thank you for looking that up...
I think there is still remnants of the rivalry.   I think Ben certainly enjoys beating us. I think they (Tomlin, Front Office) prefer us being down and making a playoff spot doesn’t fall in line with that...but I think they actually want to play us more this year than say the Ravens.

I think they are worried too if Mason starts there is jawing, maybe suspension type altercations and you can’t have that the week before the playoffs.  In that case, I’d probably play Hobbs instead of Mason. 

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I don't like the guy at all, but he plays to win. Like Gipper said, if he can bury the Browns he will try. 

11 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I don't like the guy at all, but he plays to win. Like Gipper said, if he can bury the Browns he will try. 

I don’t doubt that he wants to see us down as long as he’s in Pittsburgh. 

And He would probably like to get a few things right (run game) and he’s licking his chops at our defense right now. 

But at what cost....

They lost two of their best defensive players this year Dupree and Bush. Would you push Watt out another week in a game that means everything to the Browns who will try to wide zone them to death?  

They have some older guys playing big roles on the roster including Ben, AV (who probably would like a break from Myles), Heyward, Tuitt, etc. and no rest since Week 4. It’s Been a long year for that team and others of course. 

I think deep down they prefer to play us over the Ravens or the Colts.  They probably feel they have Bakers number - Ben is more comfortable against are passive no blitz approach and realizes he can spread the field on our porous secondary.

You go Vanilla in week 17 but you get a look at another team that is going full go live and in person before the big game the next week. Sounds juicy to Mike Tomlin? 

I still think we can win if both teams are at full strength. 

• Upvote 1

The Steelers are playing everybody, as far as I know. That might change, but I doubt it. They beat us almost every time, why wouldn't they want another tune up game before the playoffs? I'd be shocked if they sat anyone. 

36 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

But at what cost....

I get what you're saying. 

However, I do believe Tomlin was coaching when the Colts rested their regulars in week 17, and the Steelers came in to Indy and beat the Colts in a playoff game. The game where Big Ben somehow tackled the Colts' safety, who was going to score on a fumble return, but the safety got stabbed by his girlfriend the night before and he had no speed :( 

Sorry for the tangent. Damn, the Steelers have been good, and very lucky for a long, long time. 

1 minute ago, Bob806 said:

I get what you're saying. 

However, I do believe Tomlin was coaching when the Colts rested their regulars in week 17, and the Steelers came in to Indy and beat the Colts in a playoff game. The game where Big Ben somehow tackled the Colts' safety, who was going to score on a fumble return, but the safety got stabbed by his girlfriend the night before and he had no speed :( 

Sorry for the tangent. Damn, the Steelers have been good, and very lucky for a long, long time. 

How much does history of resting and not resting vs. current circumstances come into play?  We will find out here.

I hate to say this but they have earned some of this luck getting the three most important positions filled with HOF type players- Ownership, QB and HC.  And then they have a defensive scheme for decades that they just plug in their guys that fit certain desired skill sets.  Most of the guys over the years weren’t even blue chip draft prospects.   Although I do see more first round talent on the defense.  

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah the Steelers and the Ravens. The 0-16, 1-15 Browns were penciled in as a W. Maybe the current players heard from their dad or grandpa about the  big rivalry with the Browns.  Outside of the Kosar years, it's been lopsided.  Roethlisberger has more wins in First Energy than any Cleveland qb since 1999. 

Actually, Baker has overtaken that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Thank you for looking that up...
I think there is still remnants of the rivalry.   I think Ben certainly enjoys beating us. I think they (Tomlin, Front Office) prefer us being down and making a playoff spot doesn’t fall in line with that...but I think they actually want to play us more this year than say the Ravens.

I think they are worried too if Mason starts there is jawing, maybe suspension type altercations and you can’t have that the week before the playoffs.  In that case, I’d probably play Hobbs instead of Mason. 

For the umpteenth time.....the #2 seed may be on the line for the Steelers...as opposed to the #3 seed.    Which would mean the difference of possibly having a game against Buffalo at home instead of having to travel to Buffalo for the second round game.......assuming they both get past their first game.   Sitting their main players would be counterproductive to that end. 

19 minutes ago, Dawg in MD said:

Cleveland opening up as 7 point favorite = Tomlin sitting his key players. Vegas doesn't play when it comes to $$. Ink that!

You are wrong.  Cleveland is a 7 point favorite because they are seen as the better team at this point (at full strength)....and they are playing at home.   Home usually means 3 pts. on the spread....though I wonder about this year. 

44 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You are wrong.  Cleveland is a 7 point favorite because they are seen as the better team at this point (at full strength)....and they are playing at home.   Home usually means 3 pts. on the spread....though I wonder about this year. 

Lol. No no.