THE BROWNS BOARD

**** Official Browns at Jets Gameday Thread

Zombo

7 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

They are 3-0 against the Browns with 2 beatdowns.  I’d say the Ravens are slightly above average and the Steelers are very good.

as i said in a different thread pit has had one good half in the last 4 weeks I mean shit man they lost to the football team and the bingals I would not say very good 

51 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-linebacker-rankings

We need a blue chip LB in the ...draft? or free agent? this is from the beginning of August this year....

2020 NFL Linebacker Rankings

1. Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks

Wagner led the NFL with 159 tackles in 2019, but as we’ve said, tackle totals aren’t the best barometer for linebacker performance. Wagner’s tackles matter because he’s so smart on the field and so quick to the ball, and he’s one of the best ’backers in the NFL in pass coverage. He’s also an excellent, if occasional, blitzer, as his three sacks and 14 total pressures in 2019 indicate.

2. Eric Kendricks, Minnesota Vikings

The modern NFL requires linebackers to be full-field run-and-chase players as opposed to run-stopping headbangers, and Kendricks is the perfect such player in Mike Zimmer’s zone-based nickel defense. Kendricks is a tackle-collecting machine. With his on-field expertise and movement abilities, he can sniff out run plays before they happen, and he’s so often in the right place for the optimal coverage.

3. Darius Leonard, Indianapolis Colts

There are very few linebackers in the NFL who do everything required of the position better than Leonard does. In his rookie season of 2018, he led the league in both solo and combined tackles. In 2019, he started dropping into coverage more, doing that to the tune of five interceptions and an opponent passer rating allowed of 79.0 — a very low number for a defender dealing mostly with short and intermediate passes.

4. Demario Davis, New Orleans Saints

The Saints signed Davis to a three-year, $24 million contract in 2018, hoping that he could help an underperforming linebacker corps. Given the relatively small numbers in that deal, it’s safe to say that Davis’ current team got more than it bargained for. A ferocious run stopper who has developed into an above-average cover man, Davis has one foot in the old school at his position, but he’s learned to adapt as a true full-field defender.

5. Cory Littleton, Las Vegas Raiders

Jon Gruden and Mike Mayock made a very savvy move with the acquisition of Littleton, the former Rams star, with a three-year, $35.25 million contract. Littleton will immediately make that defense better as both a run stopper and especially as a short and intermediate defender in pass coverage. Few NFL linebackers have a better sense of what quarterbacks are about to do.

6. Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

David has been one of the most athletic and productive players at his position since the Bucs selected him in the 2012 draft. And since his rookie season, no other NFL player has more solo tackles than David’s 724, which is one indication of how quickly he gets to the ballcarrier and how suddenly he’s able to shut things down when he gets there. Add in his blitzing ability and coverage skills, and it’s fascinating that he hasn’t made a Pro Bowl since 2015.

7. Fred Warner, San Francisco 49ers

San Francisco’s top-level defense had several stars last season, but Warner was as important as anybody else — especially when fellow linebacker Kwon Alexander lost half the season to a pectoral injury. At that point, Warner upped his game in every category from run fits to advanced coverage concepts, culminating in a Super Bowl LIV interception.

8. Deion Jones, Atlanta Falcons

Jones is the heir to the Derrick Brooks/Brian Urlacher linebacker prototype — that ’backer who can seamlessly cover seam and post routes with an easy backpedal at least 10 yards from his initial position. Jones isn’t the most definitive run stopper or tackler on the move, but few players at his position are able to handle the needs a defense has for a linebacker who can tour the field in a big hurry.

9. Jaylon Smith, Dallas Cowboys

Had Smith not suffered a horrific injury in the 2016 Fiesta Bowl, he would have been a top-five prospect. The Cowboys took a shot on him in the second round of the 2016 draft, and Smith rewarded them with outstanding production after what amounted to a medical redshirt season. In 2019, he set career highs in tackles (142), solo tackles (83) and passes defensed (nine).

10. Jamie Collins Sr., Detroit Lions

Collins was at his best with the Patriots because de facto defensive coordinator Bill Belichick has always understood Collins’ unique gifts as a pass rusher, run stopper and coverage man. Signing a three-year, $30 million contract with the Lions may or may not provide a re-run of Collins’ time with the Browns, who didn’t quite know what to do with him. The presence of head coach and former Pats defensive coordinator Matt Patricia should ostensibly help.

11. C.J. Mosley*, New York Jets
12. Leighton Vander Esch, Dallas Cowboys
13. Kwon Alexander, San Francisco 49ers
14. Jayon Brown, Tennessee Titans
15. Roquan Smith, Chicago Bears
16. Tremaine Edmunds, Buffalo Bills
17. Zach Cunningham, Houston Texans
18. Blake Martinez, New York Giants
19. Joe Schobert, Jacksonville Jaguars
20. Benardrick McKinney, Houston Texans
21. Danny Trevathan, Chicago Bears
22. K.J. Wright, Seattle Seahawks
23. Devin Bush, Pittsburgh Steelers
24. Devin White, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
25. Alexander Johnson, Denver Broncos
26. Dont'a Hightower*, New England Patriots
27. Shaq Thompson, Carolina Panthers
28. Anthony Barr, Minnesota Vikings
29. Jordan Hicks, Arizona Cardinals
30. Matt Milano, Buffalo Bills

Didn't we used to have DeMario Davis and then just give him away?   As well as Jamie Collins?   And Joe Schobert?   

Wouldn't it be nice to have that group here now? 

as i said in a different thread pit has had one good half in the last 4 weeks I mean shit man they lost to the football team and the bingals I would not say very good 

I agree they are reeling right now.  They are 12-3 & 4-1 which is very solid considering their recent struggles.  If I was making a wager, I’d bet they beat us Sunday.

12 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

I agree they are reeling right now.  They are 12-3 & 4-1 which is very solid considering their recent struggles.  If I was making a wager, I’d bet they beat us Sunday.

we have come back all year long after losing a game

so thats a bet i would not make

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah- our LBs pale in comparison to a healthy Steers crew. Secondary, we have one star (Ward) and a serviceable Harrison (when healthy). 5 spots that could use some upgrading. Remains to be seen if Delpit can come back healthy next year, or limp armed Greedy- who right now has all the making of an injury bust.  

I can't stress this enough - stop overlooking Money Mitch.  He's had some admirable play this year for what he has been asked to do.

Ward, Harrison, Mitch, Goodson and even Karl Joseph have been some nice pieces this season.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

I can't stress this enough - stop overlooking Money Mitch.  He's had some admirable play this year for what he has been asked to do.

Ward, Harrison, Mitch, Goodson and even Karl Joseph have been some nice pieces this season.  

Agree and I sign Money Mitch this offseason.  We are all waiting on Greedy but I think he’s a bust.

We misuse Joseph.  Seems to be good in run support, provides a decent pass rush/ nose for the ball.  But Joseph in coverage - no bueno- I am thinking Jax game specifically and in spots throughout the year where we had him centerfield or in man coverage chasing guys more athletic than him.

56 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Agree and I sign Money Mitch this offseason.  We are all waiting on Greedy but I think he’s a bust.

We misuse Joseph.  Seems to be good in run support, provides a decent pass rush/ nose for the ball.  But Joseph in coverage - no bueno- I am thinking Jax game specifically and in spots throughout the year where we had him centerfield or in man coverage chasing guys more athletic than him.

the trouble is, that also sounds like Sendejo, who is a liability in coverage but made a great play on a ..flare pass?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ATOM said:

didnt the ravens and squulers play that same schedule they average ? 

Substantially the same, but not identical...

• 6 Division games
  • 4 games vs. another AFC Division (this year it was the AFCN vs. AFCS)
  • 4 games vs. an NFC Division (this year it was the AFCN vs. NFCE)

That's 14 so for the final two each team plays the team that finished in the same position as they did in the prior season, i.e., 2019 1st place vs. 1st place, 2nd place vs. 2nd, etc., in...

• the same AFC Division (this year it was the AFCW)
  • the same NFC Division (this year it was the NFCS)

These last two schedule fillers are the only ones where teams are chosen to make the schedule easier/harder for teams in the same division.

Note that the Division above are different from the one against which we play all the teams.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

the trouble is, that also sounds like Sendejo, who is a liability in coverage but made a great play on a ..flare pass?

Yup... we simply do not have a Center-fielding FS with Delpit on the shelf.

I just hope we have one when he rejoins us in 2020

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Substantially the same, but not identical...

• 6 Division games
  • 4 games vs. another AFC Division (this year it was the AFCN vs. AFCS)
  • 4 games vs. an NFC Division (this year it was the AFCN vs. NFCE)

That's 14 so for the final two each team plays the team that finished in the same position as they did in the prior season, i.e., 2019 1st place vs. 1st place, 2nd place vs. 2nd, etc., in...

• the same AFC Division (this year it was the AFCW)
  • the same NFC Division (this year it was the NFCS)

These last two schedule fillers are the only ones where teams are chosen to make the schedule easier/harder for teams in the same division.

Note that the Division above are different from the one against which we play all the teams.

We played the AFCE instead of the NFCS. I was confused but I double checked: 

Ravens - Patriots

Steelers - Bills

Browns - Jets

Bengals - Dolphins

Against AFCW: 

Ravens - Chiefs

Steelers - Broncos

Browns - Raiders

Bengals - Chargers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

I have failed us. Someone else's turn at the table this week to start this thread.

@Nero, you ready?

Zombo

I'm here to follow orders. 

I'll do my best. 

• Upvote 2

Can I ask a question, because I really have never seen a reasonable explanation given for this:

Why was our entire WR corps  put on the shelf......when apparently  (again, according to what I read),  there was an LB that maybe tested positive.  I mean what?  Were they all snuggle buddies in some situation where they were exposed?

I mean, Dwayne Haskins was out partying, maskless,  with strippers and he never got shelved.  In fact, didn't he start the next game.....but then go released only because he played poorly? 

So...WTF is up with that. 

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Can I ask a question, because I really have never seen a reasonable explanation given for this:

Why was our entire WR corps  put on the shelf......when apparently  (again, according to what I read),  there was an LB that maybe tested positive.  I mean what?  Were they all snuggle buddies in some situation where they were exposed?

I mean, Dwayne Haskins was out partying, maskless,  with strippers and he never got shelved.  In fact, didn't he start the next game.....but then go released only because he played poorly? 

So...WTF is up with that. 

BJ was getting medical treatment in Berea in the same facilities as all the WRs and then tested positive. It was something like that, I believe 

• Thanks 1