THE BROWNS BOARD

Higgins vs Hodge

Orion

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep-he did us a very excellent job.

When he said, "The Browns are up 28-0, but you know that not a soul in Cleveland is feeling comfortable", I said, He knows us Browns fans pretty well.

But the Browns have broken Soooo many of our negative traditions this season.  I've been repeating since mid-way through the season, "We're no longer the same old Browns."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I've been repeating since mid-way through the season, "We're no longer the same old Browns."

Looks like you have your yoga mantra... and a good one at that.

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Turns out there's a site for that... 😮 Pretty good one I've used before. Here's Higgins' and Hodge's...

image.png.f492798c84298b645381efcc0c532f11.pnghttps://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/rashard-higgins/

image.png.af9db13de922115eeb59123ef508a9c2.pnghttps://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/khadarel-hodge/

And while I'm at it...

image.png.9ac56877d8a642b5c993a3401625a6b5.png Landry...

I can't attest to their accuracy or methodology. If you look at PFF's ratings you see their top guys are in the mid-60s or so, so clearly there are some subjective differences between them.

However, any site's ratings should be good relative to itself.

Wow that’s interesting thanks.  I’m confused by the target numbers.  For instance, they are saying Landry has only 18 targets where he’s been covered? 

15 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

My confession...I muted the sound.

Ive got my mute list: Joe Buck, Chris Collinsworth.  I had Booger McFarland last year.

he could have been very complimentary and I wouldn’t have known it.  

lol... If you had CLE radio I could see that.

Ditto on Booger... just inane stuff, but I don't mind Buck (altho Aikman is overrated IMO) and I'm good with Al and Cris.

And it wasn't all complementary, but it was honest as Orion was pointing out.

32 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Wow that’s interesting thanks.  I’m confused by the target numbers.  For instance, they are saying Landry has only 18 targets where he’s been covered?  

In this? image.png.bff8a77b78a7f677704d170d62e04e3c.png If yes, they really don't define that stat... and few others.

While the little circles with the "i" in them describe the calculation, there's nowhere I have found where they define terms or state criteria... at least not that I've not found on the site.

While many of their measures' bases are intuitively obvious "Contested" is not one of them. I assume they include all instances where there is contact fighting for the ball, but in addition to that? Might include instances where DB jumps for ball but misses it and never makes contact with WR, but blocks receivers sight line or is simply a distraction.

But again, so long as they are consistent in applying whatever criteria they choose...

Anyway... here .722 x 18 = 13 times Landry has made the Contested catch.

Note that other sites do define criteria or at least show examples of qualifying plays as PFF does here.

Higgins might just be one of those football guys that can just make plays on the field. Never the fastest. Never the biggest. Not the best at anything. Nothing wrong with that. 

For some reason he and Baker click. With all the other issues with coaches and staff, his agent would be smart to try to make a solid deal to stay with Baker, because if he goes elsewhere it seems there is a good chance another staff is going to do what two different staffs did here. Could be win/win for everybody though. Get a solid WR at a team friendly price, so you can spend money elsewhere.

As far as route running....I’m not sure the guys IQ is very high. Dude gets pulled over for drag racing,  gets caught with weed, cop lets him off on that, cites him for a moving violation. Instead of eating the ticket, shutting up about it and moving on, he goes on Twitter and bitches about it.... that cop did you a solid, and that’s what you do?

Then, because you made everybody aware, the video comes out from TMZ showing you smoke, cop is probably going to get shit from his captain for letting you off easy.... moron...watch what happens next time a Browns player gets pulled over. 

After seeing those Mentor Kia ads he did.... reading a Night Before Christmas.... I’m not sure he can read, let alone read a playbook with routes in it....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hx214 said:

Higgins might just be one of those football guys that can just make plays on the field. Never the fastest. Never the biggest. Not the best at anything. Nothing wrong with that. 

For some reason he and Baker click. With all the other issues with coaches and staff, his agent would be smart to try to make a solid deal to stay with Baker, because if he goes elsewhere it seems there is a good chance another staff is going to do what two different staffs did here. Could be win/win for everybody though. Get a solid WR at a team friendly price, so you can spend money elsewhere.

As far as route running....I’m not sure the guys IQ is very high. Dude gets pulled over for drag racing,  gets caught with weed, cop lets him off on that, cites him for a moving violation. Instead of eating the ticket, shutting up about it and moving on, he goes on Twitter and bitches about it.... that cop did you a solid, and that’s what you do?

Then, because you made everybody aware, the video comes out from TMZ showing you smoke, cop is probably going to get shit from his captain for letting you off easy.... moron...watch what happens next time a Browns player gets pulled over. 

After seeing those Mentor Kia ads he did.... reading a Night Before Christmas.... I’m not sure he can read, let alone read a playbook with routes in it....

There is Book smart...street smart...football smart. And I’m sure you can find others. 

The Browns have had guys over the years that just do dumb stuff on the field...yet they are very articulate off the field and come across intelligent. 

Ive played alongside and coached some guys that were challenged to spell the sport they played but they could tell you exactly what they needed to do it.   And some academic underachievers have elite subconscious memory in athletics too.

11 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Ive played alongside and coached some guys that were challenged to spell the sport they played

Man..

I hope it wasn't "Ping Pong".

• Haha 1

Ive played alongside and coached some guys that were challenged to spell the sport they played but they could tell you exactly what they needed to do it.   And some academic underachievers have elite subconscious memory in athletics too.

Chemin de Fer?

Popinjay?

Sepak Takraw?

Yakkugasin?

Quidditch?

Hornussen?

Marco Polo? 

Chemin de Fer?

Popinjay?

Sepak Takraw?

Yakkugasin?

Quidditch?

Hornussen?

Marco Polo? 

Quidditch?  I purposely left out fictional sports JK Rowling 

I think it’ll be an interesting off-season for the Browns receiver group. I love Landry but prefer him in the slot. I predict People-Jones outside as #2 with someone new, not OBJ as #1. Hodge and Higgins are fine as 4 & 5. I would love to see Perriman back with the Browns.

7 hours ago, Frenchie said:

I think it’ll be an interesting off-season for the Browns receiver group. I love Landry but prefer him in the slot. I predict People-Jones outside as #2 with someone new, not OBJ as #1. Hodge and Higgins are fine as 4 & 5. I would love to see Perriman back with the Browns.

I don't know what the salary cap ramifications would be for keeping or cutting OBJ would be, but that is a TON of money invested in the WRs between him and Landry, and it has been shown pretty conclusively that Baker does not need OBJ to succeed. With young players on this roster coming close to free agency, you have to wonder how much longer the LSU connection at WR stays together. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't know what the salary cap ramifications would be for keeping or cutting OBJ would be

That would be $0... https://overthecap.com/player/odell-beckham-jr/2951/

When he re-upped with NYG at the end of his rookie deal, they front-loaded his deal. So there are no guarantees in the last three years of the deal. And honestly... at $15.75, $15 and $15mm... those last 3 years are not all that expensive... if he plays to the level we know he can.

image.thumb.png.181a49cddb308761384e204971c5d890.png

• Upvote 1

That's good to know Tour...

While I find OBJ to be clownish at times, I don't hate the guy.

I just think Baker is better without him, and I don't blame OBJ for this. I blame Baker, because for whatever reason he stops being the "spread the ball all around" guy when OBJ is in and becomes the "I really need to get the ball to OBJ so he'll be my friend" guy. 

It's what, roughly $30 mill a year for a good but not really dynamic Jarvis Landry and an oft-hurt, possibly declining OBJ. I just can't see THIS front office thinking this is a good way to allocate their resources, especially if it is true that the cap will NOT go up next year. Especially when it can easily be shown that Baker performs better WITHOUT OBJ. 

It's hard to know what decisions the cap will force teams to make in 2021... what contracts will be reworked, which will be terminated or allowed to lapse.

Of course retention of known quantities reduces ability to shop the UFA market. So the additional development of the known talent within the organization has to be weighed against the potential injection of superior talent from without.

So again we see it's the draft where the bargains have to be found... and even those bargains can be fleeting. Actually, if we draft really well, then "fleeting" is guaranteed.

If it were easy, then we'd have been good two decades ago...

Here's our FA list of currently rostered players... it's pretty damn long.

image.thumb.png.71f463877c1a858fcef77ce2a8b1bab1.png