THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.

tiamat63

19 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Seems like a guy who would be a good complement to Myles.

Almost similar to a Bradley Chubb? A big, physical DE who might not be a super athlete pass rusher, but can get there through strength and determination. Also, good vs the run. 

Yeah... kinda in that vein, but IIRC Bradley had more burst coming into the league. Not sure that's true now after his 2019 injury.

They are only stats.. but, Closer than I had thought..

Tackles Def Int Fumbles
Year School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
Career North Carolina State         100 98 198 54.5 25.0 1 0 0.0 0 4 1     6
*2014 North Carolina State ACC FR DE 2 2 2 4 0.0 0.0 0 0   0 0 0     0
*2015 North Carolina State ACC SO DE 13 27 39 66 10.5 5.0 1 0 0.0 0 1 0     2
*2016 North Carolina State ACC JR DE 13 32 24 56 21.0 10.0 0 0   0 1 1     3
*2017 North Carolina State ACC SR DE 12 39 33 72 23.0 10.0 0 0   0 2 0     1

NC State---DE-Bradley Chubb  in 40 games played.. a 2018 draft pick #5 ^^  (combine 6'4' 275)

Tackles Def Int Fumbles
Year School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
Career Wake Forest         97 76 173 35.5 19.5 0 0   0 8 3   1 7
*2017 Wake Forest ACC FR DL 11 15 9 24 2.0 0.0 0 0   0 3 1     0
*2018 Wake Forest ACC SO DL 12 36 28 64 11.0 4.5 0 0   0 1 2   1 0
*2019 Wake Forest ACC JR DL 13 26 31 57 18.0 10.0 0 0   0 3 0     3
*2020 Wake Forest ACC SR DL 6 20 8 28 4.5 5.0 0 0   0 1 0     4

Wake Forest--DE-Carlos Basham Jr. played in 42 games ^^

Tackles Def Int Fumbles
Career Pitt         67 45 112 32.0 21.5 0 0   0 4 1     5
2017 Pitt ACC FR DL 5 3 4 7 1.0 0.5 0 0   0 0 0     0
*2018 Pitt ACC SO DL 13 15 7 22 7.0 3.5 0 0   0 0 0     1
*2019 Pitt ACC JR DL 11 25 16 41 11.5 8.5 0 0   0 1 0     4
2020 Pitt ACC SR DL 11 24 18 42 12.5 9.0 0 0   0 3 1     0

Pitt--DE-Patrick Jones II played in 40 games ^^^

I have a bit of write-up incoming tonight.  But before I do that, I felt this was as good a thread as any.

I've started a 'TBB' discord.  Honestly, I feel at times it might be easier than The Tavern.  Except it can be purposed for things when the Browns themselves aren't playing.  It can be used to share thoughts on prospects, coaches, gameplans, whatever film review you might do...    with the "share screen" function, the review can be done in group so ideas on what players we're watching can be shared live in group.  

This is the link, I'm listed as the Admin and I do have a couple names in mind on mods should they wish to have the role.  Like anything else, there will be a couple small rules to observe, but that's about it.  With my new desktop built and command center done (thanks to a dear friend) might as well put it to good use.   I'll be in there starting tonight should anyone want to check out how I, or anyone else, watches their tape.    I'm sure I'll be in there as well at times throughout the off-season leading up to the draft on any prospects I may watch.

https://discord.gg/Rf9zk7trJk

More on Kary Vincent to follow.

• Thanks 1

Kary Vincent Jr v UCF

It's a full game and I've taken the liberty of time stamping plays throughout.    Keep in mind, as far as football goes it was "boring" game for Kary.  Really what I found though was more reps on technique,  if anything.  

6:20   Smooth like jazz. The feet are light, the hips fluid and the movement is patient.

6:41   Hips a little too open and weight distribution asking to be beaten back inside.   Just knows it's a poor release in man against a run heavy team.

8:38   Would like to see his upfield arm make contact on the left shoulder, but another patient display and doesn't open up until the receiver commits to running to the outside shoulder.  

35:35  Square and stays half body upfield.  Makes contact with backfield arm when seeing receiver not pressing hard up field. 
             Good base, plays low and never loses balance.   It's like watching a tiger get and stay low until they pounce.   I don't really have a better comparison, but I'm positive his vertical,                     shuttle, 3 cone and broad jump will all be good at the pro day (should LSU run those)

36:00  Mirrors the release well without allowing too much cushion between himself and the receiver at and past snap.   This is textbook playing "on ball" without using your hands at the                snap.   A natural tactician who understands when to make his contact given his "limited" size.   And zero fear of being beaten vertically because of the trust in his athletic ability.                  Professional make up speed.  Can't stress this enough, there are many corners who don't trust their own athletic ability and generally panic early afraid of the deep shot.

37:44   I wanted to use this rep to just show how fluid this kid is in his movement. It's like watching a dancer.  His hips and feet move so well laterally, 
           but most important he can turn and run with the best of the corners I've watched the past few seasons.    Kary doesn't overcommit to the inside move, 
           doesn't land his initial strike, but when he turns to run he doesn't bail so hard that he's high hip on the reciever.  Stays even because it's going to 
           be very difficult to out-accelerate a runner of this quality unless you beat him physically up at the line.     He really tosses a blanket on the UCF 
           receiver all the way down the field.    By my count, UCF hasn't thrown at him once yet.    The Knights routinely targeted 6'3 195lb Mannie Netherly.
           6'3 195 is NFL size, but when you're getting your ass beat, that 6'3 doesn't account for much now, does it?   

46:50     Does the word 'Island' mean anything to you?   LSU coaches had little fear of putting him out against insanely wide splits with little to no safety help.  Yes, I also acknowledge              UCF's    passing game isn't great.   Still, he's a young DB and it doesn't take much contact to lose a battle outside at 5'10, 190lbs unless you are just that good.  

105:21  Falls off in man reading QB eyes.  Just a ball player anticipating a bad throw and getting underneath.     Eyes like that are a foreshadow to quality play in spot and pattern matching zones.  

114:04    I wish I had sky-kam all 22 for every team, it would make shit so much easier.  Isn't often I toss around the word "natural".  But Kary is a natural DB... corner.  He just back-peddles so well on the perimeter.   Weight distribution is even, he doesn't ever seem  "over" or "behind" in his stance and again, so very smart with his contact.  He knows he can't win right at the line when a receiver has the arm length on him.  So the closed distanced at the snap, patient mirror on the release and when the receiver turns upfield is when the contact comes.     Most people won't notice that, but it's very smart play that helps limit his length disadvantage at the snap.     Though he was just a bit too overzealous on this particular rep.

Yes, LSU felt it best to put Kary on the perimeter this game.   Why? I suspect a couple reasons.  The biggest of those being that UCF loves having their receivers in incredibly wide splits to space out DB's and LB's to help their running game.   A lot more room to work with when you have the extra bodies out of the box and away from running lanes.   Another reason - necessity.  This was the game Greedy sat out and other DB's were lost with ejection or injury.  Finally - as I said earlier, space.  Passing is easier back to the plus side of the field when your split is so wide you have room to run.  With said space, it also invites DB's to take away the inside as much as possible giving you a counter shot back outside and vertical should they get to happy in their position.   Kary was playing "inside eye" technique almost all game because of this.  And he didn't look out of place at all despite not being thrown at.

I know @TexasAg1969 said he would take Shaun Wade in the 2nd over in Cal's thread, but I couldn't begin to disagree more.   Even if Shaun shows out well at his pro-day, his mental lapses this past year, effort and his physical prowess were not in the least impressive.   His footspeed was also not good, alluding to some mentioning him more as a safety.   So I'll ask then - why would I take a CB in the 2nd and then see what he can do with his limited reps at safety when I can take Kary, who will have better numbers in the agility and speed drills with more tape on him playing back on a hash and zone replacement. But with a smaller draft capital investment such as the 4th-5th round? (Possibly higher given what I'm watching)     Because KV is 5'10 190 and SW is 6'1 195?     This is an outdated way of thinking and while yes, measurables do matter, they aren't the end-all in qualifying NFL potential.     Would you rather have had the Browns take Delpit or Winfield this past season?    Sure, the injury now being a hindsight thing.  But once we got past Antoine being 5'9, Tampa found themselves a hell of a player.  

I'd also like to speak to labels.  I see this with NFL media personalities and even decent reviewers who toss around things that are often far too vague or general in terminology.  Almost as though they forget to consider the personnel matchup heavy nature that is the NFL.    In Kary's example, you're going to hear the word "slot" used  A LOT...   if you already haven't been beaten to death with it.   But I think it's a lazy piece of scouting meant to diminish his abilities.  And I'll give you my reasons....

- Tyreek Hill
- Hollywood Brown
- TY HIlton
- Brandin Cooks
- Jamison Crowder
- Diontae Johnson
- John Brown
- Henry Ruggs

These are all speed merchant receivers for AFC teams.    With the exception of Cooks and Crowder, they're all receivers for AFC contenders and playoff teams.   You see, I'm not going to draft a Kary Vincent and park his ass over a #2 or #3 and tell him to do work regardless of who he lines up against.  That's shit just sounds stupid.  If he draws a TE or a bigger receiver all I've done is not play to his best ability.  And all of the receivers I've listed above are game breakers for their teams who line up all over the formation despite the fact that the tallest of that list is Henry Ruggs at 5'11.   Each one of them are questions I need an answer too as a coach.   So when I see a corner, with track speed, smooth feet but might be considered slightly undersized at 5'10 being devalued  with  "SLOT CORNER!!" label (in a passing league, I might add)     I ask myself 'So what?'.  That's an antiquated way of scouting.   I play my game around matching up personnel, where they align on the field is just a product of the former.      I can see that Kary's feet and kinetic awareness/ability are equally as good outside as they are inside.    Sure, generally you put your size to the perimeter ala receivers such as Tee Higgins, DK Metcalf, Mike Evans, D-Hop, Devante Parker, etc etc.  Those are thought of as your traditional 'X' receivers.     But those are not the receivers I'm drafting this particular role player for.          The Browns want to go to the SuperBowl?  Dealing with Kansas City and Tyreek Hill is at the top of my list. They are the gatekeepers,  the current mountain CLE will have to conquer for a SuperBowl appearance.  And Hill as we saw running at the #3 in trips was a real issue for our secondary.  Because the 2 big routes he hits you with are that deep over and then that sprint out that iced the game as the counter.     So sure, you won't be trying to lock down Mike Evans, Michael Thomas, Julio and other tall receivers.   You might not get the recognition of a Jalen Ramsey,  but he got burned by Tyreek a couple times, didn't he?    The NFL still loves their warp speed, they still love the WR's who can walk by DB's.   So more than anything what I want, what I need, is a 4.3 corner who I know has confidence in himself denying speed and deep shots with his own athletic ability. 

It's a classic fire v fire scenario.   A speed arms race, so to speak.  Right now KC has the market cornered with their own legion of zoom.   The Browns need to add their own speed and athletic weapons on defense if they hope to limit the wave of quickness all over the conference.    In my football heart of hearts, I believe I've found a DB who (so far) appears to help me answer those personnel questions.  

.... As for the Browns speed on offense?  A topic for another time.

"I know @TexasAg1969 said he would take Shaun Wade in the 2nd over in Cal's thread, but I couldn't begin to disagree more."

What? You'd take an SEC player over an O$U player tia? That there is a hangin' offense round these parts pardner.🤠

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

"I know @TexasAg1969 said he would take Shaun Wade in the 2nd over in Cal's thread, but I couldn't begin to disagree more."

What? You'd take an SEC player over an O$U player tia? That there is a hangin' offense round these parts pardner.🤠

Read this in a Yosemite Sam voice.  

interesting - Tiam's Kary Vinent(CB):

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/kary-vincent-jr/#:~:text=Kary Vincent Jr maybe one of the fastest,the position as serious as they do now.

"Just a few years ago, teams would throw anyone on a tight end. They did not look at whether or not the player was a safety or a cornerback. They just wanted to stop a threat. Then the speedy tight end and speedy slot wide receiver came around. NFL starting looking for nickel corners that had speed and cover skills. Kary Vincent Jr. is exactly what NFL teams were looking for. A player who could cover and shadow a Tyreek Hill. Well Vincent Jr. is that guy. He is a track star with football skills. He will be a stud and a starter day one in the NFL. – Damond Talbot, NFL Draft Diamonds, Owner"

and my 2nd round pick

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/12/eric-stokes/

NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Notes

"The Covington, Georgia native is aggressive in the secondary. I hope that does not bite him at the next level. He will need to turn his head around more at the next level, but when it comes to staying with the wide out step for step, that is Stokes. In his career he has 3 career interceptions, but 76 tackles and 1 forced fumble. He has 25 career pass deflections though and that is key. He will be taken but I am not sure at this point how high he will be selected. If I was to guess, I would say he is a 2nd to 3rd rounder right now. – Damond Talbot, NFL Draft Diamonds Owner"

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

This thread had almost 500 views with no posts damn near overnight.

Uhh....whuuuut?!

second! You saw that too, Uhh? 🤔.(senior bowl scouts?).. Never mind about your thoughts on Richie Grant 🤓.. PM them to me ;) 

18 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

second! You saw that too, Uhh? 🤔.(senior bowl scouts?).. Never mind about your thoughts on Richie Grant 🤓.. PM them to me ;) 

I have a couple more games to wrap up with KVJ.  After that I'm moving onto Patrick Jones, but when I do I'll put Grant on deck.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/30/2021 at 5:07 PM, tiamat63 said:

I have a bit of write-up incoming tonight.  But before I do that, I felt this was as good a thread as any.

I've started a 'TBB' discord.  Honestly, I feel at times it might be easier than The Tavern.  Except it can be purposed for things when the Browns themselves aren't playing.  It can be used to share thoughts on prospects, coaches, gameplans, whatever film review you might do...    with the "share screen" function, the review can be done in group so ideas on what players we're watching can be shared live in group.  

This is the link, I'm listed as the Admin and I do have a couple names in mind on mods should they wish to have the role.  Like anything else, there will be a couple small rules to observe, but that's about it.  With my new desktop built and command center done (thanks to a dear friend) might as well put it to good use.   I'll be in there starting tonight should anyone want to check out how I, or anyone else, watches their tape.    I'm sure I'll be in there as well at times throughout the off-season leading up to the draft on any prospects I may watch.

https://discord.gg/Rf9zk7trJk

More on Kary Vincent to follow.

I'll have to remember my Discord login info and join

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I have a couple more games to wrap up with KVJ.  After that I'm moving onto Patrick Jones, but when I do I'll put Grant on deck.

Patrick Jones teammate Jaylen Twyman - he stood out when I watched some Pitt games in 2019. He didn’t play last year.  Seems raw but talented.  I’m Curious what you think about him. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2021 at 4:23 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Patrick Jones teammate Jaylen Twyman - he stood out when I watched some Pitt games in 2019. He didn’t play last year.  Seems raw but talented.  I’m Curious what you think about him. 

I'll be back in the lab tomorrow night around 5:30-6 to finish my views on Vincent. Then I'll be on Patrick Jones, where I'm sure I'll get a peek at Twyman.  After that I have Grant, per @gumby73's request and then I'll wrap up with Daivyon Nixon sometime end of next week.

But what I see, I'll let you know.

On 2/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, SdBacker80 said:

tia's going back to front... cause it's his thang.

Imma go front to back cause DBs ain't my thang, but I can hang with DL and LBs.

We'll meet in the middle

It's neat to focus on the D-side for a change.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

We'll be back in the lab tomorrow (Thursday) around 5:30-6pm EST.    Going to finish up watching Vincent with LSU v UF   & LSU v Bama  (might sneak in v Clemson depending on what I see)

Should anyone wish to join in on this with discord.

How much does it pay? 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Should anyone wish to join in on this with discord.

You probably have noticed I signed up, but not going to join in live sessions until I get some homework done...

Latest from PFF...

PFF's top CB prospect, plus a wild-card CB to watch 

TOP PROSPECT: CALEB FARLEY, VIRGINIA TECH

He's a size/speed demon and made up ground on every single receiver who got a step in him in 2019 — even Chase Claypool. 

BIGGEST RISER: IFEATU MELIFONWU, SYRACUSE

Ifeatu is a rare breed in his own right. The 6-foot-3, 213-pounder is long and athletic like his brother; he played running back, receiver and defensive back for Grafton High School and recorded over 1,876 rushing yards and 25 touchdowns as a senior. 

PFF's top safety prospect, plus a wild-card safety to watch 

TOP PROSPECT: TREVON MOEHRIG, TCU

No safety in college football has made more plays on the ball over the past two seasons. Moehrig led all safeties in pass breakups in both 2019 (12) and 2020 (eight). 

BIGGEST RISER: RICHIE GRANT, UCF

He recorded 37 tackles and four interceptions as a senior on the football field before starring at UCF. There's so much to like about Grant's tape that it's easy to see him overcoming his middling physical traits.

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Latest from PFF...

I think there is a better than even chance Moehrig may be BPA @ #26 where safety seems to be an area of need at the moment. I would not be disappointed unless there is still a LB equal in BPA status right there.

First off, Apolgies for jumping off early last night and not warning anyone who may have been on discord.  I was not expecting to hear of a family member having a heart attack. Not asking for prayers or sympathy, only relaying the reason for my disappearing act.  Obviously that is priority 1 over film watching.  I'll be in CLE until 1 and then delivering food to the afflicted immediate family shortly after.  Beyond that, I will be afterwards and for the remainder of the evening as I intended yesterday.  Could use the break from reality.

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Latest from PFF...

I'm sure most people are aware of how I feel about PFF's college evals ---> NFL projections.  Farley needs work, he's still a good deal raw.  But the goods are there. Kid could be Jalen Ramsey if he wanted to be.

edit:  We have begun our next session with LSU - UF 2019

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm sure most people are aware of how I feel about PFF's college evals

Well aware.... just giving you something to shoot at.

Desired or not going to send good thoughts your way.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Well aware.... just giving you something to shoot at.

Desired or not going to send good thoughts your way.

Or skip the homework and send your old ass into discord when everybody else gets on and lets talk shop over this LSU - UF game.     I started up early.

edit:  Appreciated though still.

Patrick Jones initial viewing and thoughts.     Timestamped below...

@ :47 - caught off guard by the downblock on the 2i.  Runs high and upfield allowing the QB to climb and scramble underneath him.
               Came out of his stance VERY high.

@ 1:16  great initial stance, low and appears agile.  Comes out of stance at a decent pad level, really long strides and wasn't prepared for initial contact by OT. 
             Need to have those hands ready to work in sync with his feet.

@ 3:45  good first step, good length to get hands on inline TE with good initial strike.  But high and stays high on stack, to the point he's high on his front feet like a boxer.

@ 15:43  Stance is great, just a natural 3/4 pt player.  Great arm length with eyes up and proper shoulder-width spacing.
                Takes lead on at the point and maintains acceptable pad level, holds ground on first contact and works through block to ball carrier.

@ 24:38    Discipline keeping inside shoulder on the outside of the QB, using his hands on the TE and getting upfield to force the QB to decide on throw or keep.
                   Doesn't crash down the line as backside pursuit opening up an easy bootleg.

@ 25:16  I think this is going to be the re-occurring theme for Jones when I get to more viewings.  I'm sure any professional eyeing him up is going to say the same things  -
         His initial stance looks great, but you stay low and you play low. That's just football 101.    There are times when he fires out WAY to high and his legs look like a track star getting    ready to hurdle. Your feet won't be the same on every pass-rush.  Some things you have to use your speed and stide, some things you have to calculate and sync your feet to setup (such as a counter or spin)           etc etc.     There's no real commitment to a move here, no speed and bend to the edge, no dropping the hips and minimizing the contact/strike surface for the OT.   If anything, he allows the OT to recover after a bad first step and only to be ridden upfield. This tackle was just asking to be beaten inside.   If Jones plants off that left foot and rips back to the inside shoulder, he probably has the QB walk into him for the sack.   Still, he does a decent job getting back to the pocket after realizing just how far upfield he's gone.

@ 1:08:31  Double team and downblock on the frontside 3 tech.  Which means Jones picks up the lead.  The Lead may not drive him back, but he wins with lower leverage and contact,  turning  him away from hole and letting RB in underneath lane.   Size and strength don't mean everything when you lose like that.   

@ 1:17:40  Classic case of getting too far upfield and taking yourself out of the play on a favorable running down and distance.

@ 1:19:09  FINALLY.  Shortens the 2nd and 3rd step, gets the OT to lean into (eyes down I might add) contact with his upper body extended beyond his base and shoulders flat(ter) to the QB.   So Jones plants that foot, works to torque and rip back inside. He's still quite high here, but at least his feet keep moving and he's working past/through the block with eyes up and on the ball carrier.   He drops his hips and pad level late but bends back around and drops the RB.     Is it the most technically sound rep I've ever seen? Hell no, but I've been waiting to at least see if Patrick would show a glimpse of it.. and THIS right here has made the hour plus view worth it.    He's capable, just quite raw.  

@ 1:20:30  Patrick...  you can't setup this spin move without reliably threatening the edge consistently.  More importantly, it's not a great setup.  That right arm needs to be clubbing the inside arm of the OT if you want any shot at rolling off him.

@ 1:30:24  Rearing it's ugly head again - the upright nature of his attack.  Pause at his 2nd and 3rd steps - far too high.  Stay low - play low.     The 'Cuse tackles are just not very good and routinely leave their base, lower their eyes and lean into bad contact for the sake of creating it.  But another example of Jones showing some ability to actually drop his hips, lower his center of gravity and attempt to turn the corner.  He just does it late...real late.   And he'd be arriving at his pivot point faster if he wasn't so damn upright so early in the rep.      Another example of physical gifts that need a good deal of time with a professional position coach.

"Rough draft" Thoughts.

6'5 260lbs.   That's a first-off-the-bus kind of player.   All the physical gifts are there.  Good arm length, height, weight distribution throughout his body.   Athletic, quick as evidenced in the first step routinely.    Raw...  technically raw.   Bordering somewhere between considerably and very.     I can see why you'd be enamored with him though, his functional play strength is there and when he does win it's based mostly on that strength and athleticism with little contribution from polished technique, most glaring being pad level/center of gravity and feet to hand sync.    This is the earliest game of the 2020 season I could find, so I'm hoping to see improvement with some consistency in games further down the rest of the year.   But the few wins I saw make me curious enough to keep watching, so at least there's that.      But 1st round hype?  That must mean some better tape is coming I would hope.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1