THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.

tiamat63

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Not so much a prospect but.. If we need to save $$ to resign other guys, maybe we could get WFC's Heinicke as QB2 next season. 

He's at most 1/4th the price of Keenum's 6m annual in 2021 and 2022

I didn't get a chance to watch that game last night.  Somebody at breakfast this morning said "Chris Heineke"...   and I had the most confused look.

I honestly thought they meant FSU boy from back in the day.

Chris Weinke?

We are never going to get a shot at Heinicke. WSH will sign him and his price will go up.

And that's fine by me..

The man played with lots of guile and cool last nite... very admirable. Showed understanding and anticipation way beyond his experience level.

However, his average-at-best arm needs to be in a dome as much as possible.

35 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Chris Weinke?

We are never going to get a shot at Heinicke. WSH will sign him and his price will go up.

And that's fine by me..

The man played with lots of guile and cool last nite... very admirable. Showed understanding and anticipation way beyond his experience level.

However, his average-at-best arm needs to be in a dome as much as possible.

See, I knew the same sounded about the same.  

I know WR isn't an enormous need, but the Browns really could use a big, physical WR like A.J. Brown of Tennessee, Chase Claypool of Pittsburgh, or T.J. Metcalf of Seattle. (Then again, not knowing how much longer OBJ will be on the team, they could also use a speedster who can blow the top off defenses)

Who in the upcoming draft fits this Brown/Claypool/Metcalf bill? 

There's a kid at Arkansas St.... 6'3, 220-ish who runs maybe a 4.5. Name is Jon Adams, Jr.

At one point he was in the Biletnikoff discussion, but hurt his hip which may drop him from Day 2 to Day 3 of draft.

He was Sun Belt's 2020 OPOY.

image.png.9576cdf23dd51c04a524ad2031104890.png

• Upvote 2

Another thought:

I'd like to see the Browns with two new starting LBs next year. One by the draft, one by free agency.

What LB we have on our roster now should get the third starting LB spot? The reason I ask this on a draft thread is this will allow me (and others) to figure out what type of LB the Browns should target in the draft. 

On 12/30/2020 at 9:08 PM, gumby73 said:

Really Nice read Tia! ^^ 

I'm just now at the beginning of the process of finding out what type of LB Berry may draft..

SAM 44 Takitaki, Sione 19/3 50 Phillips, Jacob 20/3            
MLB 93 Goodson, BJ U/GB 55 Davis, Tae W/NYG            
WLB 51 Wilson, Mack 19/5 56 SMITH, MALCOLM SF20 52 Lee, Elijah W/Det

Seems to me that the Mack Wilson position, maybe more of the needed spot at the Will..

I've been watching Surratt a few years now, living in ACC country.. Chazz looks to be the hybrid Will LB that the new NFL passing game calls for.. Chazz has shown he can mirror route breaks & can stay with a Vertical route fairly well.. He's the same height as M.Wilson was coming into the league, but I think Chazz's arm length maybe longer & may run mid 4.5's.. pending the extra weight bulk he puts on pre-combine.. Surratt's not a arm tackler.. He has a knack & quick's of taking good tackling angles.. and He don't fall off of many 💪 

I'm really getting excited to watch the big bowl games with Clemson's MLB redneck James Skalski👀.. let me know what ya see & think of sitting Skalski behind Goodson?    

I started here Dutch^^    still in processing mode

• Like 1

Here's Adam's highlight tape from mid-Dec.

Almost exclusively lines up at LWR. Routes primarily are go and Post with back-shoulders off the former, but there are a couple quick slants. At one point did run an Out and in replay you can see that it is badly rounded off, so agility is a question mark. Also not a lot of YAC... doesn't appear that he loves contact.

Hands? Look pretty good, but he does body catch a good bit. Definitively has some hops for 50/50 balls and knows how to box out smaller CBs.

Best thing I see is his adjustment to the ball. Pretty good body control.

And somewhere in the 6:00 minute area his QB takes off to his side and Adams plants not one, but two DBs on the turf blocking for him.

Initial take... there's a a good sized athlete here with not a lot of polish. Feels Day 3-ish... but need to see some full game tape.

7 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I started here Dutch^^    still in processing mode

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Phillips at the Mike and am curious how Goodson with his length would fair at the SAM.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I know WR isn't an enormous need, but the Browns really could use a big, physical WR like A.J. Brown of Tennessee, Chase Claypool of Pittsburgh, or T.J. Metcalf of Seattle. (Then again, not knowing how much longer OBJ will be on the team, they could also use a speedster who can blow the top off defenses)

Who in the upcoming draft fits this Brown/Claypool/Metcalf bill? 

Day 3 guys...

Nico Collins- better WR at UM than DPJ.

Sage Surratt (wake)

Trevon  Grimes (Fla)

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Here's Adam's highlight tape from mid-Dec.

Almost exclusively lines up at LWR. Routes primarily are go and Post with back-shoulders off the former, but there are a couple quick slants. At one point did run an Out and in replay you can see that it is badly rounded off, so agility is a question mark. Also not a lot of YAC... doesn't appear that he loves contact.

Hands? Look pretty good, but he does body catch a good bit. Definitively has some hops for 50/50 balls and knows how to box out smaller CBs.

Best thing I see is his adjustment to the ball. Pretty good body control.

And somewhere in the 6:00 minute area his QB takes off to his side and Adams plants not one, but two DBs on the turf blocking for him.

Initial take... there's a a good sized athlete here with not a lot of polish. Feels Day 3-ish... but need to see some full game tape.

Route tree sounds Megatron-ish.

4 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Route tree sounds Megatron-ish.

Definitely... or Metcalf-ish, but Metcalf added most of the other branches in 2021. Not usre Adams has that developmental pace in him.

Also Adams not as strong or fast as Calvin, but frame looks amendable to adding more muscle.

31 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Day 3 guys...

Nico Collins- better WR at UM than DPJ.

Sage Surratt (wake)

Trevon  Grimes (Fla)

Nico has been mocked higher than Day 3 a few times, but those were mostly before the season. I am not super knowledgeable on the entire WR class yet, so I'm not sure where he sits, but I could see him going earlier. Combine will be important to see how he moves at his size. 

But then again I never thought DPJ would go as late as he did so who knows...

OK.... Adams aside...

I feel like we need to go the opposite route at WR... small and waterbug quick.

Feel like we have our strong WR in Landry. He's not big, but he is strong. OBJ gives us our speed. Higgins/Hodge are fine for the possession role. What we lack is that WR whose elusiveness scares the shit out of a D when he gets his hands on the ball. We need a Tyreek Hill-ish kinda guy.

While I don't have a list (yet) I did fall across one in one of my "way-too-early" mocks... Louisville's Tutu Atwell. No where near the bulk on his little frame that hill has, but Lord this kid is lightening quick. Only issue may be that he is rising up boards. Apparently he went off vs. FSU in late October. He's risen in Walter's positional rankings from the mid-50s to #12.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

OK.... Adams aside...

I feel like we need to go the opposite route at WR... small and waterbug quick.

Feel like we have our strong WR in Landry. He's not big, but he is strong. OBJ gives us our speed. Higgins/Hodge are fine for the possession role. What we lack is that WR whose elusiveness scares the shit out of a D when he gets his hands on the ball. We need a Tyreek Hill-ish kinda guy.

While I don't have a list (yet) I did fall across one in one of my "way-too-early" mocks... Louisville's Tutu Atwell. No where near the bulk on his little frame that hill has, but Lord this kid is lightening quick. Only issue may be that he is rising up boards. Apparently he went off vs. FSU in late October. He's risen in Walter's positional rankings from the mid-50s to #12.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't know the ins-and-outs of the salary cap, but I wonder how much longer Landry and OBJ have in Cleveland.

Both make a ton of money, Landry is a possession receiver and OBJ misses a lot of time. 

IMO, I don't think either are in the Browns longterm plans, especially considering all the young players coming up on extensions. 

Landry's locked up thru 2022 and OBJ thru 2023. OBJ costs about $15mm/year; Landry $14.8 and then $16.6mm.

No dead money tied up in OBJ. Landry has $3mm and then $1.5mm.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/

Taywan Taylor / JoJo Natson are currently on our IR but may not be answers to any question. 

Both have deep speed.  The question is if they are complete players; both former teams didn't think so.

Taylor was a 2017 3rd rounder who we paid a 2020 7th round pick to acquire ; Natson was UDFA and saw snaps the last 2 yrs at NYJ. 

Note, of course, that Taylor was a late day3 2017 prospect at WalterFootball.. Although our pick was the correct 2017 value for him, he was healthy for us until the last couple of games in 2020 and barely made the field even after OBJ's injury.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

At this point I'm just watching DB's and Dline.  LB and Oline depth is a less pressing priority.

Dline? I have felt some kind of problem in the rotation, we have a decent Dline but for example Myles needs a breather more often than not. 

I don't know about contract on that group (Richardson, Vernon?) but another body would be welcome. Are you thinking 2nd, 3rd round? 

21 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Taywan Taylor / JoJo Natson are currently on our IR but may not be answers to any question. 

Both have deep speed.  The question is if they are complete players; both former teams didn't think so.

Taylor was a 2017 3rd rounder who we paid a 2020 7th round pick to acquire ; Natson was UDFA and saw snaps the last 2 yrs at NYJ. 

Note, of course, that Taylor was a late day3 2017 prospect at WalterFootball.. Although our pick was the correct 2017 value for him, he was healthy for us until the last couple of games in 2020 and barely made the field even after OBJ's injury.

Taylor is Fool's Gold. Yes, he's fast (4.4-ish ET) and quick (6.57 3-cone) so team's pick him up hoping they can turn him into a WR only to dump him when they can't. We will as well.

I've no idea what potential Natson has, but while fast (mid-4.4's), he does not appear to be quick (7.20 3-cone). However, the surprisingly slow 3-cone may be because he did not train for the drills as do Combine invitees... like Taywan.

Did I mention Taywan has really bad hands? ;)