THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.

tiamat63

16 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

As for DI? Not worried about until later day 3 at the moment.  Oh and Haskell Garrett is going top 50 if he repeats last night against Bama.

I don't know tia, Ogunjobi is a free agent after this season and Richardson is over 30 at the DTackle spot, and I'm not sure there's any young guy on the roster ready to step in to a starting spot. I'd also love to see the Browns get a long-term complement to Garrett at DE. 

I think the LB position can be filled in Rounds 3-5. 

31 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't know tia, Ogunjobi is a free agent after this season and Richardson is over 30 at the DTackle spot, and I'm not sure there's any young guy on the roster ready to step in to a starting spot. I'd also love to see the Browns get a long-term complement to Garrett at DE. 

Jobi's play has leveled off a bit, although I wonder if he's still dealing with some nagging injury from week 7?  Groin pulls linger.   Sheldon, plus his availability, has played well enough for a 2 year extension IMHO.

Jordan Elliot has shown flashes. But like any rookie, has hit a wall.  Needs an off-season of full camps, condition and coaching. But his ceiling is considerable and his floor is still playing time worthy.

Then you have Billings back next year which I believe will make a world of difference.   I'm not saying to not always look for young talent, but unless the player outclasses the need - then LB, DB are tops in the pecking order.

23 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Jobi's play has leveled off a bit, although I wonder if he's still dealing with some nagging injury from week 7?  Groin pulls linger.  

In the time he’s been here this is how l’ve come to see Ogunjobi, a guy that starts the season off on fire but levels off from there. 

33 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Jobi's play has leveled off a bit, although I wonder if he's still dealing with some nagging injury from week 7?  Groin pulls linger.   Sheldon, plus his availability, has played well enough for a 2 year extension IMHO.

Jordan Elliot has shown flashes. But like any rookie, has hit a wall.  Needs an off-season of full camps, condition and coaching. But his ceiling is considerable and his floor is still playing time worthy.

Then you have Billings back next year which I believe will make a world of difference.   I'm not saying to not always look for young talent, but unless the player outclasses the need - then LB, DB are tops in the pecking order.

Do you feel comfortable going into training camp with Ronnie Harrison and Grant Delpit as the starters at SS and FS respectively, and then concentrate on adding corners? Or are you still looking at safeties? 

15 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

In the time he’s been here this is how l’ve come to see Ogunjobi, a guy that starts the season off on fire but levels off from there. 

And that's the thing, you're going to have that with several players along your offense and defense every given year.  Not everybody can play at an elite level.  You'll have your great players and your supporting cast.   Jobi is supporting cast and there's nothing wrong with that.  

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Do you feel comfortable going into training camp with Ronnie Harrison and Grant Delpit as the starters at SS and FS respectively,

and then concentrate on adding corners?

Or are you still looking at safeties? 

To answer in order.

- No

- If a quality DB presents himself in the draft at any point, I'd have no issue with the Browns taking him

- Of course 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I’m leaning toward best available Front Four or Back 7 in this coming draft- first round.  If it’s not a backer in Round 1 then I go two backers with the next three picks (2nd round and/or our 3rd or the Saints 3rd).  

I will say this if we are rolling with Joe Woods who doesn’t like pressure outside of his front 4 we need some dudes upfront. 

7 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Non Browns related Draft Question- Has Trevor Lawrence improved much over the past three years?  

And Haskell Garrett is moving up boards FAST.  The guy was shot in the face this year. Overshadowed in years past.  He’s a dude this year.  

I believe so.   He's still a good QB despite the diminished Oline play and shift in offensive philosophy from year 2 to 3.   Previous season Clemson loved to attack the perimeter with their taller receivers.  Now with their shaky line, he's been finding his backs and TE's a bit more often this season while using his legs in "run to throw" situations.    That, to me at least, shows a mental progression and understanding of a shift in offensive play in order to still produce results.    

Like I said with Haskell, he was a 6-7 before the NU game, he'll be a day 2 pick unless some stupidity happens against Bama.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Has Trevor Lawrence improved much over the past three years?

Not that I can see, but then his supporting cast seems to have declined this season. Case in point is tia's shift which to me looks like a game-planning acknowledgment of their decline especially along the OL.

The one thing he has mastered is the "chuck n duck". While he completed a couple last nite there were more that he did not including the final one ending in an INT. I've no issue when a QB does so out of self-preservation with a hit imminent, some last nite were under relatively light pressure. That said Trevor's stats are up excepting his INT rate which is roughly the same as last season. I can't recall him "standing in" and delivering once last nite.

I do have to add that IMO he's going to look very ordinary at the next level after being drafted by a bad team, i.e., JAX.

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I do have to add that IMO he's going to look very ordinary at the next level after being drafted by a bad team, i.e., JAX.

Safe to say you were much higher on Burrow at this time last year entering the Draft than you are Lawrence now? 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Whoever this kid from Iowa State is - #88.  Yeah...  He's going to be worth a watch for a lot of teams.

88 Charlie Kolar TE 6-6 257 Jr

NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Notes:

Charlie Kolar is one of the best pass catching tight ends in the country. He has great hands, and runs great routes. He is a little lanky, but I would expect him to gain some weight this year. He has a Jimmy Graham type of body frame, and he plays a lot of like Jimmy Graham. I am a fan of his, I think he will blow up this season for the Cyclones, and I would not be surprised if he leaves early. – Damond Talbot, Owner, NFL Draft Diamonds

13 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:
88 Charlie Kolar TE 6-6 257 Jr

NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Notes:

Charlie Kolar is one of the best pass catching tight ends in the country. He has great hands, and runs great routes. He is a little lanky, but I would expect him to gain some weight this year. He has a Jimmy Graham type of body frame, and he plays a lot of like Jimmy Graham. I am a fan of his, I think he will blow up this season for the Cyclones, and I would not be surprised if he leaves early. – Damond Talbot, Owner, NFL Draft Diamonds

Jimmy Graham was exactly who I was thinking. Tall, a bit lean(er)   basically a converted small forward.    Kid looks like he has great hands, natural pass catcher.

@TexasAg1969

Tell me about Bobby Brown on your DI.  Kid looks like a giant.

Another mid-round LB: UMich's Cam McGrone.  235 pounds and seems really agile/quick change of direction for coverage.  The few clips I saw looked like he has tools.  May not have much experience [10 starts] but that's why many thought he shouldn't declare.  NFLdraftscout apparently has him at #3 for ILB so he may not be a round4 guy.

14 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Jimmy Graham was exactly who I was thinking. Tall, a bit lean(er)   basically a converted small forward.    Kid looks like he has great hands, natural pass catcher.

@TexasAg1969

Tell me about Bobby Brown on your DI.  Kid looks like a giant.

Well kept secret I was hoping will come back for his senior year. 1st Team All-SEC DT whose job it is to shut down the inside game and push interior OLs into the QB on passing downs. 6-4  325lbs. Like most of their DL he shares time so that they can play as a group as strong in the 4th Q as they play in the 1st.

EDIT: I started to post this early in the game last night, but got superstitious and did not want to jinx him or them. NC was missing some players, but the A&M defense was also missing 3 senior starters last night. Just was not declared until game time.

Anyway because he was rested throughout the game as A&M does with their DLs, he ended up making the key 3rd and 4th down stops late to get the ball back with the 7 point lead, by doing just what his job is, disrupt the inside blockers and force the RB off his designated hole through the line. I really hope he returns for his senior season because I think coming out he will just be a mid-round pick even though he did make 1st team SEC DL. If we could get him in the 4th, it would be a steal IMO. 

EDIT #2: Keep an eye on this kid the next couple of years. He came in for the injured starting RB Spiller and showed exactly why I think he will be a starting NFL RB some day. 4.3 40 speed and state HS champ in the 200m dash combined with great balance and vision.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Safe to say you were much higher on Burrow at this time last year entering the Draft than you are Lawrence now? 

Yup... I can't recall an easier QB evaluation than Burrow. But don't get me wrong, I think Lawrence has a nice future in the NFL, it just is going to happen for him out of the gate as it did with Burrow.

Meanwhile it's confirmed... Kellen Mond is my 2021 Darkhorse. Love his mechanics... very quick release... plenty of arm... good legs... 6'3... and more than enough evidence of gray matter.

DraftScout has him on the Round 3/4 cusp. While I suspect he climbs some, if I was in the Browns' war room and he is around late round three I start pounding the table hard...

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... I can't recall an easier QB evaluation than Burrow. But don't get me wrong, I think Lawrence has a nice future in the NFL, it just is going to happen for him out of the gate as it did with Burrow.

Meanwhile it's confirmed... Kellen Mond is my 2021 Darkhorse. Love his mechanics... very quick release... plenty of arm... good legs... 6'3... and more than enough evidence of gray matter.

DraftScout has him on the Round 3/4 cusp. While I suspect he climbs some, if I was in the Browns' war room and he is around late round three I start pounding the table hard...

And my dark horse from A&M is DT Bobby Brown (if he comes out) from A&M, 1st team All-SEC. Round 4 steal for somebody. Clogs up the middle and ability to power-push OLs into a QB.

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

It's his prerogative. He can do what he wants to do (His prerogative).  

You going all Bobby Brown on us?

• Haha 1

Did I click on the video and play it with the sound turned all the way up? Hell yes I did. 

Now, here's a question because I've forgotten how to do it... How do you post videos? When I do it I just get the link, but how do you do it so it actually posts the video right there ready to go? 

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Did I click on the video and play it with the sound turned all the way up? Hell yes I did. 

Now, here's a question because I've forgotten how to do it... How do you post videos? When I do it I just get the link, but how do you do it so it actually posts the video right there ready to go? 

And you likely put on your parachute pants...

Simple copy/paste of the youtube vid's addy bar converts to the vid for me...

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

WalterFootball's more recent mock draft has the Browns taking WR Jaylen Waddle in Round 1, and the Steelers getting their QB of the future with Florida's Kyle Trask. 

Trask would be a good pick for them.

Someone on another thread mentioned McCarron...the former Alabama QB.  The name Greg McElroy also comes to mind.  Then there are the likes of  Tua and Hurts...other Alabama or former Bama QBs.

Which brings also to my mind this Mac Jones.    Impressive stats for East Germany.....but then all these other   guys came from there as well. 

I understand he is a favorite, or one of them for the Heisman.

So, for the so called experts on here.....is there really anything about this guy to differentiate him from the other  Bama QBs such that he could actually be said in the same breath as Starr/Namath/Stabler......or is he a McCarron or McElroy type.