THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.

tiamat63

22 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! tia what are you doing up so early in the morning. 4am my time is 5 am yours. I'm retired so it doesn't matter when I'm up.😴😁

Between covid and the holidays, I've had to get creative to avoid people during workouts.   Especially those who are on vacation, because they won't be in the gym this early.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Between covid and the holidays, I've had to get creative to avoid people during workouts.   Especially those who are on vacation, because they won't be in the gym this early.

Now that I'm back in Texas where we are getting low 70s, I can ride my bicycle for an hour or two in shorts and a T-shirt in early afternoons. In Colorado I was putting on ice & snow cleats to trek the various trails in Rocky Mountain NP. My siblings and wife always worry about me doing that because I go up pretty high on the trails and at nearly 74 they are afraid I might get in trouble. I just laugh and tell them, "Hey, I made it to 73 plus so I'm living on borrowed time anyway. If God wants to take me up there I'm all in and totally at peace with it." Besides they always insist that I take a cell phone with me since 911 works up there.🤣☃️🌬️

On 12/21/2020 at 9:20 PM, Tour2ma said:

Probably, but so hard to predict right now. Lots of time for prospects to rise or fall...

... or simply get pushed down.

There's only so many players that can be stuffed into the top 25 of a draft... somewhere between 24 and 26 is my guess. ;)

True, but corners are a premium position, and when you are one of the top few players at that position, if not the top player, the odds of you going top 10 are better than  going in the mid to  late 20's

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Garrett likely won't be available in the late rounds.. he just made PFF's first team All American squad.  Third team big10, first team all american.. Seems legit.

Foruntately for us, PFF collegiate grades and prospect projections are about as horseshit as they come.

Curtis Weaver as a top 100 pick? Yeah, Ok.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Now that I'm back in Texas where we are getting low 70s, I can ride my bicycle for an hour or two in shorts and a T-shirt in early afternoons. In Colorado I was putting on ice & snow cleats to trek the various trails in Rocky Mountain NP. My siblings and wife always worry about me doing that because I go up pretty high on the trails and at nearly 74 they are afraid I might get in trouble. I just laugh and tell them, "Hey, I made it to 73 plus so I'm living on borrowed time anyway. If God wants to take me up there I'm all in and totally at peace with it." Besides they always insist that I take a cell phone with me since 911 works up there.🤣☃️🌬️

He died as he lived.... Stubborn as all hell.

57 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

dHe died as he lived.... Stubborn as all hell.

No disagreement there. I already told them if I was ready for a nursing home to just take me down to the coast and let me take sail with my little trimaran Hobie-cat and point me in the general direction of the Caribbean Isles.🌬️Anchors away!🌞🏝️

Or just put this on the old tombstone:

Ma loved Pa, Pa loved women

Ma caught Pa with two in swimmin'

Here lies Pa.👻🔨

• Haha 1

Curtis Weaver Details -- We'll see if he can contribute in the DE mix next season.

Miami picked him in the 5th, waived due to injury after his first 5 practices.  Claimed by Cleveland 48h later and immediately placed on IR.

Don't forget him as well as DI Billings [a top-10 DL FA] who we signed to a 1-year but he opted out of the entire season.. so our 1-year deal is now the 2021 season.

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Foruntately for us, PFF collegiate grades and prospect projections are about as horseshit as they come.

Curtis Weaver as a top 100 pick? Yeah, Ok.

He died as he lived.... Stubborn as all hell.

Id be curious to see a H. Garrett film breakdown especially this year. Granted, he had a lot of dudes around him his Soph. And JR years I thought he played well when he rotated in the lineup.  This year he’s stepped up even more.  I think scouts wanted to see him without an all world DE playing next to him.  

He was highly recruited out of HS and didn’t redshirt I always felt he was great against the run. 

56 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Curtis Weaver Details -- We'll see if he can contribute in the DE mix next season.

Miami picked him in the 5th, waived due to injury after his first 5 practices.  Claimed by Cleveland 48h later and immediately placed on IR.

Don't forget him as well as DI Billings [a top-10 DL FA] who we signed to a 1-year but he opted out of the entire season.. so our 1-year deal is now the 2021 season.

I'm well aware of Billings and his future importance to this team.  I'm pretty sure you'll find my posts on here saying he was (secretly) my favorite signing this year. 

Weaver? Not so much.

PFF and myself have some similar molds re: NFL grading and some evaluation.

PFF and myself can't be further apart at times re: their collegiate grades and how they use them for NFL projections.    And some of their misses just make absolutely zero sense.

32 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Id be curious to see a H. Garrett film breakdown especially this year. Granted, he had a lot of dudes around him his Soph. And JR years I thought he played well when he rotated in the lineup.  This year he’s stepped up even more.  I think scouts wanted to see him without an all world DE playing next to him.  

He was highly recruited out of HS and didn’t redshirt I always felt he was great against the run. 

When I've had time to watch closely this season (not often) he's played alright enough.  But for a 2i/3tech he, along with the rest of the Buckeyes D-line, have struggled to get off blocks all season.

Here is one we could probably sign as a UDFA. He was the leading LB on the A&M team (A&M ILB Buddy Johnson was just named Texas College Defensive POTY), but opted out of this COVID season. Consequently no one really knows about him. But he and OSU's Browning were the two best LBs in Texas HS football, both 5* rated players. I saw him play at Plano East and he was a tackling machine on an otherwise not very great team.

Whoever signs him gets a real darkhorse, I think good enough to start in the NFL some day. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain by signing him.

Anthony Hines 6'3" 220 ILB

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Jack Sanborn Mike Backer Wisconsin.  Another guy I’d like to see what you think regarding the tape. 

I thought he Played well last season...especially OSU BigTen Champ game but I didn’t see a lot of him this year.

I'll try to get around to him as well.

Right now I'm relaxing and watching Chazz Surratt and his cutup against 'Cuse.  Wasn't much to talk about 1st half, but the 2nd half of this game has caught my eye.    Kid can move and he doesn't hesitate when he see's something.  You also see some of his experience in the QB room paying off on how he attacks underneath stuff and follows a QB's eyes based on formation and personnel.  Also has shown a nice ability to get underneath blockers and fight to the ball carrier.

He has my curiosity.

• Upvote 1

So it's obvious the Browns are going to be concentrating on defense this offseason. 

Thing is, I'm not sure what type of players fits a Joe Woods defense. Does he like smaller, faster one-gap DLinemen? Or bigger, space-eating DLinemen? Fast, athletic LBs that can cover sideline-to-sideline or big, bruising LBs? Man-to-man cornerbacks, or smart, bigger CBs who specialize in playing the zone? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

So it's obvious the Browns are going to be concentrating on defense this offseason. 

Thing is, I'm not sure what type of players fits a Joe Woods defense. Does he like smaller, faster one-gap DLinemen? Or bigger, space-eating DLinemen? Fast, athletic LBs that can cover sideline-to-sideline or big, bruising LBs? Man-to-man cornerbacks, or smart, bigger CBs who specialize in playing the zone? 

Going off his 2 year tape at Denver, both on the line.   There are 2 and blended gap fronts he used in base and some nickel situations.  As for LB's?  Again, I think you're looking for role players in the defense more than anything.  Who can do what with some additional responsibilities if need be.   As for CB's? Even the most man-heavy teams only play man about 55-60% of the time.    You need DB's that can do everything in today's NFL.

The first game in the results for Chazz Surratt was vs 'Cuse this season.    I cut out of work early today to start my holiday break, so I'm going to go through this cutup and give you my "rough draft" thoughts.  This was a single viewing with a couple pauses.  So I'm sure I'm going to miss something here and there.  My hand-writing on the fly isn't so great.

@TexasAg1969   @SdBacker80

First thing that jumps out to me was, like I said - his size.   6'1 and change, about 220lbs in season.  Which means he'll probably show up to the combine around 230 with a few to spare. 

- The 'Cuse Oline is either very bad, or the UNC Dline is quite good this year.  Sadly I don't have enough to make that call yet.

- A lot of okie/odd fronts in base and over in nickel and dime situations.   I suspect for a couple reasons.  The UNC staff wants to beat speed with speed, believes in their linebackers but most importantly (and demonstrated by the base fronts) know they have to "protect" their linebackers.  With that speed comes a lack of size.  The Mack and Buck backers in their odd/okie/under fronts are setup to have the interior Oline as occupied as humanly possible freeing them up to run sideline to sideline and downhill without second level interference.   You'll remember another rather undersized Mike LB in Buckeye history - Brian Rolle.  On that team which took the Rose Bowl against Oregon.   They ran a lot of base odd and under fronts to maximize their strengths as a Dline but especially to protect the skill of linebackers.   Go ahead and youtube "2009 Ohio State defense" to refresh yourself.   It looks like what many call a "3-4".   I guess that's pretty much what it is depending on how you designate some of your 2pt edge players.     Tex won't be so familiar with those Buckeye teams, so I'd encourage to youtube that for some contrast and find Brian Rolle.  He won't be hard to spot among the other linebackers, trust me.  

- There was a lot of designated pressures or straight drops blended in with "traditional" LB reads.   And I wasn't all that impressed with Chazz' ability to time a snap or get small in a hole on pressure.   Honestly, he wasn't very good at it in this game.      But he does fly out in coverage.  Doesn't always mean to the right spot, but he has some wheels.   On pressures, UNC routinely lined him up to the boundary and would roll a safety over the vacated receiver.    I don't recall a single sack, maybe a pressure?  That was it.   But to counter, UNC would also let him pick up the #2 to the boundary in coverage to sort of balance the looks between pressure and not.   A guessing game, basically.  Not an overly complex one if a decent coaching staff gets to look at it for a full half of game.

- There is a play @ 42 seconds I like.  UNC tries to bracket the #2 receiver to the boundary, Chazz uses his eyes and trusts them.  Because the 'Cuse QB leads him right to the ball.  In true fashion of a player who hasn't spent much time making the position 2nd nature, his ability to minimize his contact area while maximizing hitting force was.... bad.   He fucked himself up.  Need to turn that shoulder juuuuuuust a hair.

- Where Chazz shined was downhill.  @ 2:48 gets underneath and past guard peeling to the 2nd level, gets square and delivers a great hit.    At which point, 'Cuse lineman started looking specifically for CS when they would get off combo blocks.     You'll see an even better example @ 6:04.   Getting through a power lead look, fights under the pull with a lineman on him, and makes the play on the RB.    The might be the most impressive play of this game for him.    That's a hell of an ask for an undersized LB.   And the difference between making that play and not making that play is the "want to".    You have to give him credit, switching from QB and showing physical play as a weakside backer is not something I take lightly.   You need a mental makeup for that which most players simple don't have.    I'm not one to impress easily, but this was (in a vacuum) just a badass snap.    Things like this, when you can't interview or speak to a prospect, really stand out in terms of that football character.  

Summarize a short video.   He's a quick, but undersized weakside linebacker that UNC has setup to be the man who fly's around to the ball carrier and makes the plays.   There are times in coverage he looks a little lost and can get caught just starring at QB action in the backfield, other times when him locking onto a QB's eyes take him right to the ball on underneath responsibility.  I have to ask, does that make him more susceptible to QB's manipulating him with his eyes?  Or perhaps less with the addition of spending time in a college QB room with professional coaches?   I don't have an answer for that one without more film. The 3x2 open from 'Cuse is a good example.    He can bracket a receiver to the boundary, but if he gets looked off and the DB is outside leverage, then that backside post will be a paycheck for someone. 

The few times he did carry a receiver downfield he didn't look awful, but he clearly needs more work/time understanding how to leverage his body position against certain routes, trusting his athletic ability and working his eyes separate from his body.

Despite him being undersized, there is zero hesitation or lack of physical presence from his play. The two I noted above are the best examples of this and probably won't find better ones in the entire season.  When he feels he has the read, he goes - the wheels turn immediately.  And he has a great first step.  Again, helps being a bit on the smaller side.  But he'll run a 4.6 something at the combine, I'm sure.  Maybe even faster.

A day 2 pick?  Sure.  First viewing, depending on other prospects, need v want, and how the rest of the film works out... I can see enough initial interest to understand why people might grow to be high on him.   I can also understand concerns of a position switch late and the mental game, along with his physical development, needed a respectable amount of time.   How that fits with the Browns? I'm not sure at the moment.  But when you have a defense such as ours that needs an immediate injection of talent, the last thing you can afford is taking a player who needs time in both areas of development and not catch hell for it.    But pairing a mike backer like Goodson with someone who can run, cover and hit?  Yeah, that's what we need.   

I will be looking for and reporting back more from Chazz when I watch it.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

The first game in the results for Chazz Surratt was vs 'Cuse this season.    I cut out of work early today to start my holiday break, so I'm going to go through this cutup and give you my "rough draft" thoughts.  This was a single viewing with a couple pauses.  So I'm sure I'm going to miss something here and there.  My hand-writing on the fly isn't so great.

@TexasAg1969   @SdBacker80

First thing that jumps out to me was, like I said - his size.   6'1 and change, about 220lbs in season.  Which means he'll probably show up to the combine around 230 with a few to spare. 

- The 'Cuse Oline is either very bad, or the UNC Dline is quite good this year.  Sadly I don't have enough to make that call yet.

- A lot of okie/odd fronts in base and over in nickel and dime situations.   I suspect for a couple reasons.  The UNC staff wants to beat speed with speed, believes in their linebackers but most importantly (and demonstrated by the base fronts) know they have to "protect" their linebackers.  With that speed comes a lack of size.  The Mack and Buck backers in their odd/okie/under fronts are setup to have the interior Oline as occupied as humanly possible freeing them up to run sideline to sideline and downhill without second level interference.   You'll remember another rather undersized Mike LB in Buckeye history - Brian Rolle.  On that team which took the Rose Bowl against Oregon.   They ran a lot of base odd and under fronts to maximize their strengths as a Dline but especially to protect the skill of linebackers.   Go ahead and youtube "2009 Ohio State defense" to refresh yourself.   It looks like what many call a "3-4".   I guess that's pretty much what it is depending on how you designate some of your 2pt edge players.     Tex won't be so familiar with those Buckeye teams, so I'd encourage to youtube that for some contrast and find Brian Rolle.  He won't be hard to spot among the other linebackers, trust me.  

- There was a lot of designated pressures or straight drops blended in with "traditional" LB reads.   And I wasn't all that impressed with Chazz' ability to time a snap or get small in a hole on pressure.   Honestly, he wasn't very good at it in this game.      But he does fly out in coverage.  Doesn't always mean to the right spot, but he has some wheels.   On pressures, UNC routinely lined him up to the boundary and would roll a safety over the vacated receiver.    I don't recall a single sack, maybe a pressure?  That was it.   But to counter, UNC would also let him pick up the #2 to the boundary in coverage to sort of balance the looks between pressure and not.   A guessing game, basically.  Not an overly complex one if a decent coaching staff gets to look at it for a full half of game.

- There is a play @ 42 seconds I like.  UNC tries to bracket the #2 receiver to the boundary, Chazz uses his eyes and trusts them.  Because the 'Cuse QB leads him right to the ball.  In true fashion of a player who hasn't spent much time making the position 2nd nature, his ability to minimize his contact area while maximizing hitting force was.... bad.   He fucked himself up.  Need to turn that shoulder juuuuuuust a hair.

- Where Chazz shined was downhill.  @ 2:48 gets underneath and past guard peeling to the 2nd level, gets square and delivers a great hit.    At which point, 'Cuse lineman started looking specifically for CS when they would get off combo blocks.     You'll see an even better example @ 6:04.   Getting through a power lead look, fights under the pull with a lineman on him, and makes the play on the RB.    The might be the most impressive play of this game for him.    That's a hell of an ask for an undersized LB.   And the difference between making that play and not making that play is the "want to".    You have to give him credit, switching from QB and showing physical play as a weakside backer is not something I take lightly.   You need a mental makeup for that which most players simple don't have.    I'm not one to impress easily, but this was (in a vacuum) just a badass snap.    Things like this, when you can't interview or speak to a prospect, really stand out in terms of that football character.  

Summarize a short video.   He's a quick, but undersized weakside linebacker that UNC has setup to be the man who fly's around to the ball carrier and makes the plays.   There are times in coverage he looks a little lost and can get caught just starring at QB action in the backfield, other times when him locking onto a QB's eyes take him right to the ball on underneath responsibility.  I have to ask, does that make him more susceptible to QB's manipulating him with his eyes?  Or perhaps less with the addition of spending time in a college QB room with professional coaches?   I don't have an answer for that one without more film. The 3x2 open from 'Cuse is a good example.    He can bracket a receiver to the boundary, but if he gets looked off and the DB is outside leverage, then that backside post will be a paycheck for someone. 

The few times he did carry a receiver downfield he didn't look awful, but he clearly needs more work/time understanding how to leverage his body position against certain routes, trusting his athletic ability and working his eyes separate from his body.

Despite him being undersized, there is zero hesitation or lack of physical presence from his play. The two I noted above are the best examples of this and probably won't find better ones in the entire season.  When he feels he has the read, he goes - the wheels turn immediately.  And he has a great first step.  Again, helps being a bit on the smaller side.  But he'll run a 4.6 something at the combine, I'm sure.  Maybe even faster.

A day 2 pick?  Sure.  First viewing, depending on other prospects, need v want, and how the rest of the film works out... I can see enough initial interest to understand why people might grow to be high on him.   I can also understand concerns of a position switch late and the mental game, along with his physical development, needed a respectable amount of time.   How that fits with the Browns? I'm not sure at the moment.  But when you have a defense such as ours that needs an immediate injection of talent, the last thing you can afford is taking a player who needs time in both areas of development and not catch hell for it.    But pairing a mike backer like Goodson with someone who can run, cover and hit?  Yeah, that's what we need.   

I will be looking for and reporting back more from Chazz when I watch it.

That was great- Thanks!!!  Ive been impressed with the athleticism and after starting out as QB in college maybe he possesses the mind for the game and has a higher ceiling than most.  

Really Nice read Tia! ^^ 

I'm just now at the beginning of the process of finding out what type of LB Berry may draft..

SAM 44 Takitaki, Sione 19/3 50 Phillips, Jacob 20/3            
MLB 93 Goodson, BJ U/GB 55 Davis, Tae W/NYG            
WLB 51 Wilson, Mack 19/5 56 SMITH, MALCOLM SF20 52 Lee, Elijah W/Det

Seems to me that the Mack Wilson position, maybe more of the needed spot at the Will..

I've been watching Surratt a few years now, living in ACC country.. Chazz looks to be the hybrid Will LB that the new NFL passing game calls for.. Chazz has shown he can mirror route breaks & can stay with a Vertical route fairly well.. He's the same height as M.Wilson was coming into the league, but I think Chazz's arm length maybe longer & may run mid 4.5's.. pending the extra weight bulk he puts on pre-combine.. Surratt's not a arm tackler.. He has a knack & quick's of taking good tackling angles.. and He don't fall off of many 💪 

I'm really getting excited to watch the big bowl games with Clemson's MLB redneck James Skalski👀.. let me know what ya see & think of sitting Skalski behind Goodson?    

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

There are times in coverage he looks a little lost and can get caught just starring at QB action in the backfield, other times when him locking onto a QB's eyes take him right to the ball on underneath responsibility.  I have to ask, does that make him more susceptible to QB's manipulating him with his eyes?  Or perhaps less with the addition of spending time in a college QB room with professional coaches? 

General question... Is the rule/tech to still let the OL tell you pass/run and when they "say" pass you go to the QBs eyes? I ask because these days (as opposed to the stone age when I played a little ILB) OL are coached to be part of the deception.

Chazz question: Any man coverage in the Syracuse tape?

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I see gum may have answered this one...

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Chazz has shown he can mirror route breaks & can stay with a Vertical route fairly well..

A hybrid that can cover and thump... sounds interesting.

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

General question... Is the rule/tech to still let the OL tell you pass/run and when they "say" pass you go to the QBs eyes? I ask because these days (as opposed to the stone age when I played a little ILB) OL are coached to be part of the deception.

Run/Pass keys? yeah, generally most coaches teach EMOL then eyes and "area".  You need to feel your depth as a shallow defender and play routes with communication, anticipation and vision.  Luke Keuchly is the best example of seemingly having eyes in the back of his head.      But there are coaches who are trying to use a little, I'll say "trigger discipline" with their weakside backers/coverage against some of the RPO looks that are the current flavor.    The quick passing nature/need for such concepts means that the backside throw, especially in 3x1's,  is going to be some kind of slant or skinny po.  So you'll see some defensive coordinators anticipate playcalling and attempt to bait QB's into a muddled read only to invite that backside throw.     Downside? If the ball goes to the HB and your strength can't hold their ground then the offense is probably getting a chunk run on you.   

As for the man coverage question?  Yes... twice?  When I said they would send him off the boundary edge and the counter look being to drop with the #2, a couple times he picked up in man.    He didn't look like Mack Wilson, if that's what you're wondering.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Posted for anyone who can appreciate a run-game analysis.. including this season's fun with QB counter bash.

Ravens 2020 recent run game.  Kollmann is good stuff.

While some of his college scouting evals I have .... rather disagreed with.  He does some wonderful work in the film room at the NFL level.

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Hilliard backpedaled in the first half, read a screen, split 2 blockers and still put the RB down for minimal gain.. Yeah, if he's still available in rd4, he's a good get.

And the TFL to close out Q3. Hot.

Figured I'd see you in this thread at some point.  Yes, I was thinking that when watching it live.  Hilliard is a high upside LB with great athletic ability who has had an up and down career.  But he's playing into a day 3 pick.  

Has anyone been watching jacoby stevens for LSU? They play him at FS but he's a 4.7 - slow only by NFL safety standards - so he'll be a fast OLB with plus coverage skills.  Him and Hilliard and a round2 DI [Tufele/USC, Nixon/Iowa] could be good for our front seven.

Watching that ND LB Owusu-something get trucked by Najee Harris suggests he'll receive the same from other NFL power runners -- undersized.  Let someone else take him.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Has anyone been watching jacoby stevens for LSU? They play him at FS but he's a 4.7 - slow only by NFL safety standards - so he'll be a fast OLB with plus coverage skills.  Him and Hilliard and a round2 DI [Tufele/USC, Nixon/Iowa] could be good for our front seven.

Watching that ND LB Owusu-something get trucked by Najee Harris suggests he'll receive the same from other NFL power runners -- undersized.  Let someone else take him.

Just moving from DB to LB because of a lack of footspeed doesn't guarantee success. Many have tried and failed, especially at 6ft tall and 220lbs.   You spoke of Owusu from ND being undersized... Jacoby would be right there with him.

At least a player like UNC's Surbatt has been playing the position a year and change along with being a bit on the smaller side of an NFL backer.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of reasonable contract the Browns could pick up Goodson on. He has been surprisingly effect in the middle and I believe he could be better, or at worst a consistently reliable starter while we make investments elsewhere.

As for DI? Not worried about until later day 3 at the moment.  Oh and Haskell Garrett is going top 50 if he repeats last night against Bama.