THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.

tiamat63

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Is that the #17 kid that I mentioned when I was watching Jones?  If so, kid looked the part.

If you were watching 2020 tape, then yes.

@ 0:45 - patient on hips opening. But do you know who that looks like there? Haden.  One of Joe's best attributes was planting his backfoot and driving on the ball or route when he sees it.  

@ 1:05 - good hip sink and balance in his back peddle. Weight distribution looks natural. Don't think he's 6'1 though. Maybe 5'11 3/4 at best.  Still - good arm length.  Mirrors reasonably well with releases in bail looks.

@ 1:39 - great ball track and not drawing too much contact.  Locating the ball helps prevent PI calls.

@ 2:01 - patient back peddle from an inside eye and not committing to opening. Fluid footwork, would like to see arm extension here but doesn't lose balance on contact.

@ 2:22 - ticky tack call. Especially when you attack the ball with your upfield hand.  NU plays a good deal of off coverage, a lot of clean releases for these receivers.

@ 2:40 - good make up step and flattening the angle to ball flight. Would like to see more physical here but I'm sure he's playing What's called.

Nothing overwhelming against Nebraska.  Shows a patient DB who's a willing tackler and tracks the ball well. Hoping to get a better feel watching more pass heavy teams.

So I'm having to go back to 2019 just to find some appropriate game film on Newsome.   Started with the shelling tOSU put on Northwestern.  

Man... I fucking hate how much space NU gives receivers in their style of C3.    Credit to the Browns scouts - they had to do a lot of homework with this one I feel.

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

NU plays a good deal of off coverage, a lot of clean releases for these receivers.

Any press to analyze?

Pro day info... 6' even... the bastard... :(

image.png.1ab6bff066430a4f1483f57f899f1d85.png

20 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Did anybody know about Anthony Swartz?

that was a huge surprise, just really brilliant.

Came across him while playing a couple different sims. DraftNetwork's had a good write up on him as they do for almost every player.

image.png.c19034da26a3d1b07683a7d73be17e36.png

Also use DraftScout to get prospects Combine/ProDay info. His was eye-popping to say the least.

image.png.1f1d3c9e8b68b77a55aaa1a84bd8cd98.png

Ended up selecting him several times. We haven't rostered WR speed like his since Benji was a rookie.

Exposure to players I might otherwise not know anything about is the primary reason I spend time playing those things.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:28 PM, Tour2ma said:

Any press to analyze?

3 games into the 2019 season.  Don't think I've seen a single snap so far in press. 

NU plays exclusively off. C3, C1, qtrs looks...   I hate it. 

Buckeyes went bombs away on them and dropped 52 that game, so I'm sure I'll learn quite a bit more then.  At the moment, looks like a classic case of an athlete with ability that isn't being properly matched with what coaches design.  If I have a DB of GN2 quality, I'm going to let him play a bit and structure my coverages around that at times.  

I do want to point this out for everyone having high hopes on our newly christened 1st round pick,  he's the tallest CB on our roster now that will see meaningful snaps.   Chances are he's going to be drawing a lot of those "X" types early and often.   So keep this in mind - he's a rookie coming in and learning how to more efficiently play bump and press tech.  His frame still has some filling out to do over the next couple years as well. At 20 years old,  I'm not worried about him naturally putting on a good 5-10lbs of clean mass and strength.   But he's likely going to be the one that draws Jamar Chase, Tee Higgins & Chase Claypool     That's a tall order for any corner let alone a freshman.

Pace yourself in your critique of him this fall.  

• Upvote 1

See this is why I'm talking about it being a great deal of projection for GN2.   Because NU's defensive system is so passive I can't stand it.  Even when you don't have the same caliber athlete's that DBU's like tOSU, LSU, FSU recruit, I HATE the concept of playing scared against the big boys.    Sure, you can get away with this sort of thing against MSU, Nebraska, Iowa, etc etc.   They have pedestrian passing games.     But when you face the larger schools with QB's and WR's who are going to get drafted then, well, to quote Coach Saban when he was in Cleveland "That break on the ball shit ain't gonna work".

It's a quarters look but NU is playing what appears to be true quarters to the field, but the confusion among the players to the boundary - including our 1st round pick, looks like they were almost playing palms.    Quick crash course -  most quarters, press or not,  has the S read 2 to 1 while the CB is in man-match, but you can have an under call from the CB.  #2 presses vertical and the S picks him up in man, then the CB gets no help on the #1.   In palms it's read 2 to 1 but if the #2 goes flat, then the CB picks up the #2.  You can bait a lot of throws like this, alot of coaches call it 2 trap for that reason.    The CB turns the #1 over to the S who takes him vertical, a nice bump to give the S time to recover and affect the route is appreciated (been there)  No S wants that receiver having a clean release, it sucks to deal with.  

Instead they get confused on the pass off, with GN2 turning it over to the LB's who then pass off in zone and the S playing over top.  Greg slips and falls and is late getting back into his deep 1/4, might have saved this or not but he wasn't primary coverage if they're ALL reading it wrong.   While the OLB picks up tracking the back to the flat.     It looks like a stick with a half-assed spot-n-go combo.   Spot-n-go is a WR or TE running a settle in coverage but then breaks back up field bending the route based on DB leverage.    edit:  might just be some type of sluggo call.  There was no break there in that route.

Either way it's incredibly frustrating for me to watch and get a gauge of on-man skills specifically because of how the NU deploys their coverages. 

The play I'm talking about starts @ 2:39 if you wanted to follow along.

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

It's a quarters look but NU is playing what appears to be true quarters to the field, but the confusion among the players to the boundary - including our 1st round pick, looks like they were almost playing palms.    Quick crash course -  most quarters, press or not,  has the S read 2 to 1 while the CB is in man-match, but you can have an under call from the CB.  #2 presses vertical and the S picks him up in man, then the CB gets no help on the #1.   In palms it's read 2 to 1 but if the #2 goes flat, then the CB picks up the #2.  You can bait a lot of throws like this, alot of coaches call it 2 trap for that reason.    The CB turns the #1 over to the S who takes him vertical, a nice bump to give the S time to recover and affect the route is appreciated (been there)  No S wants that receiver having a clean release, it sucks to deal with.  

Well.... that explains it!

All them damn trees on the field... image.thumb.png.e1101f96275a676d609addf656048c1d.png