THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.

tiamat63

Yes, the season isn't over and No, this isn't your typical "Well there's nothing better to do" start that us Browns fans have been accustomed too.       I just had the day all to myself and figured I'd start getting some homework in before the game started.       I had this posted in the "Early Mock Thread", but I realize I don't like mocks and this has and will always be a thread for a more in-depth type analysis.

I'll lead off - Caleb Farley - DB, VA Tech.  It's a name I've seen come up a few times so far when discussing draft targets to fit the Browns needs (wants)  First game watching Farley... never bothered dialing this kid up before.  The Ramsey comparison I touched on once feels about right.    I found a condensed game 1 from 2019 against Boston College.

Against 21 and 22 personnel with no removed receiver (perimeter pass catcher) the Va Tech coaching staff has him on a hash basically like a safety.    This was the first thing that stood out to me because FSU did the same thing with Ramsey at times circa 2015. 

At 8:04 is an example of this.  It's also a zone-match pass off in cover 3.  One Farley looks to play correctly off the pre-snap jet motion.  You'll see the edge carry the jet to the flat (no-no) but Farley reading this right and letting the #1 (end man on the line) shake loose down the seam which should have been the edges carry.      That's a home run if the QB pulls up and see's it.  Of course different coaches have different ways of playing this, but there's a similar designed play shortly after which is picked up right with Caleb picking up the fast threat on the jet.  You can see the TE look back expecting the ball.     Still, there was a lot to be desired when watching him on a hash.  Even one game in but I feel like don't see a natural safety fit.    Especially playing downhill.

BUUUUUUUUT.

Go just ahead to 8:30 in the video.  It's where the Jalen Ramsey comparison that I'm trying to solidify really takes off.    That skill-set my "rough draft" viewing gave me the impression of.

On ball man coverage.   Good base, weight distribution, not too far forward or far back in his stance.   Great eye and hip discipline on this release.  Doesn't panic and open his hips too fast, doesn't get "excited" choppy steps that young corners can which sets them up to get beat with moves off the line. Doesn't even lean in past his base to for the jam.      Would I like to see a little of that space eliminated pre-snap between him and the receiver?   Sure - that's about 3 yards of cushion. And yes, I would like to see those hands with a little more "suddenness" in their strike.   Maybe he's even a touch high on the receivers hip.  But those are small potatoes which coaching can cure.      But in this entire game against BC that I watched, that appears to be his most natural and comfortable looking position.  And he looks pretty damn alright at it so far.  Enough that it's gotten my eyes curious to watch more.  

• Upvote 1

Game 2 - 2019 v Old Dominion.     Nothing about an opponent that you should* blow out excites me, but there were a couple things I picked up from this game.

1) Farley exclusively plays LCB, doesn't matter if it's field or boundary.   He's left side all time and it was the same in the game against BC.   Is by defensive design? Is it by kinetic preference?  I'm not sure.   I've met corners that HATE one given side of the field because, for whatever reason, their footwork just doesn't "feel" the same.    Sounds stupid, but believe me it's a thing.

2) Despite off coverage not being a strong suite and actually drawing a DPI in this game, Farley shows surprisingly good hip fluidity for a corner that looks like he has a future beating up receivers at the line.    Go to 11:55 in that clip.  You don't see a back-peddle because he's expecting the route to break in.  It's either incredible film study and a DB with supreme confidence in what he feels, or he likes to gamble.      His first step is his back right foot to open his hips and drive underneath the receiver.  Had this post been more flat as opposed to skinny/sharp, that could have been a pick.     But what you will see here is the natural use of the upfield hand to go after the pass, eyes on the ball and the trail hand on the receivers hip. Then getting up under the route.  Honestly this contact was really made by sitting on the receivers hip and the overthrow selling it.  If that right hand was a little lighter, this would likely be an outstanding demonstration of a no-call.       

3) He's willing to get involved in run support from the perimeter.  Not great at it, and doesn't always get off blocks well... but I don't see him actively avoiding contact either.

18:47 - good vertical despite almost being boxed out.  Good fight getting elevation and attacking the ball as opposed to waiting to make a play on the receivers hands.  Realized he wasn't in a position for the pick so played the safer option of killing the ball.

Caleb's footwork, while not really polished... is pretty damn smooth.  There is no panic in his steps and his hand work to attack the ball in the air is instinctive as his fighting.  He's an athlete who just "looks" to be a very natural corner.  I don't have snap counts in front of me, but Old Dominion didn't show anywhere near the amount of 22 and 21 personnel that BC did.  So Farley got his first extended action at CB on the year.     I haven't really seen the Va Tech staff play any bump or allow him to get physical at the line.  Which is a shame because he appears to be a CB on the taller side (I'd say 6-6'1? Maybe some change?) and has a longer arm reach.   So I'd like to see more in the coming film hopefully with a coaching staff that realized what they have on their roster.        Farley isn't a "raw" DB,  but there is a very high ceiling here he can be coached too if he so chooses to put in the work.

49 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The problem with Farley is he will be long gone by our pick.

by the end of the week, somebody here will have OBJ as a trade piece to get up there 🤩... 🤫.. Farley or Parsons? 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The problem with Farley is he will be long gone by our pick.

Probably, but so hard to predict right now. Lots of time for prospects to rise or fall...

... or simply get pushed down.

There's only so many players that can be stuffed into the top 25 of a draft... somewhere between 24 and 26 is my guess. ;)

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

by the end of the week, somebody here will have OBJ as a trade piece to get up there 🤩... 🤫.. Farley or Parsons? 

We've gotten better CB play than ILB play, so I'd take Parsons in that trade. I assume you mean OBJ plus at least our #1 wherever it falls.

As said, 2020 has been a whacky year.  As I understand it, this 2019 tape will be the only thing scouts have to go off to gauge his CB abilities because Farley opted out 2020.    Since we've never dealt with full season opt-outs, it remains to be seen how NFL teams will respond perceiving value. So I leave nothing to chance.

As for Parsons, with the little I've seen of him, I wouldn't waste his talents at a Mike spot.  He's a gifted athlete and good pass rusher.  He can be your will who also happens to be good at edge pressures.  Like how Von Miller was used early on, except more of a traditional backer role than evolution into a pass rusher.

I was looking forward to seeing how ILB Chazz Surratt of U. N.C faired against the running attack of Texas A&M which is one of the best in college football. He is likely a late 2nd rounder in an area of need, but he has opted out of the Orange Bowl. I really don't like relying on highlights, but would rather see an entire game. Guess I will have to find a complete one on youtube to see what he looks like for a full game.

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I was looking forward to seeing how ILB Chazz Surratt of U. N.C faired against the running attack of Texas A&M which is one of the best in college football. He is likely a late 2nd rounder in an area of need, but he has opted out of the Orange Bowl. I really don't like relying on highlights, but would rather see an entire game. Guess I will have to find a complete one on youtube to see what he looks like for a full game.

You'd be surprised, with a little bit of savvy, just how much you can find on YT.

Just now, tiamat63 said:

You'd be surprised, with a little bit of savvy, just how much you can find on YT.

I can often times find complete games (sometimes with no huddle) on youtube. Easy to pull back and watch particular plays a few times over to see everything that was taking place.

Late round flyer on LB Justin Hilliard from OSU -- he's a 5-star recruit who deserves more national pub for athleticism at his size [6'1 235#] than he'll get. Talented vs both pass and run.  Playing 6th college year on the elusive medical redshirt.. but he's healthy now and his talent is far above where he'll be drafted.

21 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Are you taking requests???  if you are...

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LB Notre Dame

Chazz Surratt LB UNC

Jaylen Twyman DT Pitt

I'll get around to them eventually.

6 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Late round flyer on Hilliard from OSU -- he's a 5-star recruit who deserves more national pub for athleticism at his size than he'll get

Hilliard is an interesting one.  Mostly because, as you said, his athletic ability.        If there's one late round player from tOSU I was intending to take a longer look at, it's going to be Haskell Garrett.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Chazz Surratt LB UNC

For whatever reason I dialed him up, having never seen him before - but both you and AG mentioning him within a couple posts of one another.

Uhh...  How big is this kid?  Looks like Mack Brown never really let that 2000's Texas defense mindset go when Gene Chizik was calling the shots.   I remember those linebackers being small because Chizzy liked his dline huge and backers being able to fly around.     I bet money Surratt isn't a biscuit over 220lbs.  

43 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

For whatever reason I dialed him up, having never seen him before - but both you and AG mentioning him within a couple posts of one another.

Uhh...  How big is this kid?  Looks like Mack Brown never really let that 2000's Texas defense mindset go when Gene Chizik was calling the shots.   I remember those linebackers being small because Chizzy liked his dline huge and backers being able to fly around.     I bet money Surratt isn't a biscuit over 220lbs.  

He’s the kind of 3-4 OLB that the Steelers will plug in and he will kill us for a decade. Relentless pass rush type that also has the  athletic ability to drop in coverage too.

I don’t know where he fits in our scheme.  I followed him last year and he was just learning the position- I think he came to UNC as a QB

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

He’s the kind of 3-4 OLB that the Steelers will plug in and he will kill us for a decade. Relentless pass rush type that also has the  athletic ability to drop in coverage too.

I don’t know where he fits in our scheme.  I followed him last year and he was just learning the position- I think he came to UNC as a QB

There is, physically speaking, literally nothing about this kid that immediately would indicate that.   He's 6'1ish 220.  That isn't 3pt edge rusher size barring some spot duty.    

You line him up on the edge routinely and I'm going to scheme his way because he doesn't have the size and length to hold the point.   He isn't TJ and he sure as hell ain't Dupree.  He's not even Alex Highsmith who, if you look back, I had some praise for on this board and the Steelers took about where I said he'd fall.

Just skimming through the Syracuse and BC games...? Will backer.  See, pursue, tackle and track.    The Syracuse game looks like it's the 1st of the season and his eyes are routinely caught starring into the backfield action and not on assignment. 

If this kid is being pimped as a high day 2 pick, then either this tape goes into warp speed in the next few games or he's media hype.    Then again, this plays into the conversation I had with Gip before I sent him to the ignore list - football minds that don't get paid for clicks won't have their due diligence filter down to the media for a few more weeks at the earliest.

51 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I've seen him listed as 6'3" 230 Lbs and as 6'2" 225 lbs. Until we see the Combine we would be just guessing.

Chazz Surratt is 6’2’’ 6’3’’ depending on the source.  He’s got the steeleresque pass rush motor.

As you pointed out seems a little rough around the edges I believe he spent his first year at QB...it is no wonder.  Seems like a high ceiling guy when he learns the nuances of the position.  He’s been highly productive this year top 10 tackler in the ACC

His brother is pretty good too   

12 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I've seen him listed as 6'3" 230 Lbs and as 6'2" 225 lbs. Until we see the Combine we would be just guessing.

6'1 5/8 220.   Just took 3 different media listings and averaged the numbers out.  

9 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Chazz Surratt is 6’2’’ 6’3’’ depending on the source.  He’s got the steeleresque pass rush motor.

As you pointed out seems a little rough around the edges I believe he spent his first year at QB...it is no wonder.  Seems like a high ceiling guy when he learns the nuances of the position.  He’s been highly productive this year top 10 tackler in the ACC

His brother is pretty good too   

So far the UNC defense plays a lot of under/odd fronts and do a damn fine job clogging interior gaps.    In short, he's a linebacker that can move but would have to be protected because of his size.   Think - Roquan Smith.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Late round flyer on LB Justin Hilliard from OSU -- he's a 5-star recruit who deserves more national pub for athleticism at his size [6'1 235#] than he'll get. Talented vs both pass and run.  Playing 6th college year on the elusive medical redshirt.. but he's healthy now and his talent is far above where he'll be drafted.

That was an impressive interception he had in the endzone vs Northwestern. Showed off his athleticism 

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I'll get around to them eventually.

Since there's not much demand for my OL work this go 'round, thought I'd focus on the DL this year...

... but I will find a Day 3 OL along the way. Someone on the opposite side always catches my eye. ;)

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

If this kid is being pimped as a high day 2 pick, then either this tape goes into warp speed in the next few games or he's media hype.    Then again, this plays into the conversation I had with Gip before I sent him to the ignore list - football minds that don't get paid for clicks won't have their due diligence filter down to the media for a few more weeks at the earliest.

Well, now you are on my list of most notorious Cowards.   Robert Ford,  the Captain of the Costa Concordia. 

9 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

So far the UNC defense plays a lot of under/odd fronts and do a damn fine job clogging interior gaps.    In short, he's a linebacker that can move but would have to be protected because of his size.   Think - Roquan Smith.  

Whenever you get around to watching a game or two of him, I'd be interested in your take. It's disappointing he will not play against that A&M running attack which also features a lot of TE 3rd down conversion play. I wanted to see how he performed against good OL blocking schemes.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You are on my list of Cowards :   Robert Ford, the Captain of the Costa Concordia....and others. 

Either offer proper analysis of your own or stay the fuck out of my thread with your bullshit meant to take up space and troll.  The rest of us have insight to share.    I'll have your posts removed if need be.

Thanks for your cooperation.

4 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Either offer proper analysis of your own or stay the fuck out of my thread with your bullshit meant to take up space and troll.  The rest of us have insight to share.    I'll have your posts removed if need be.

Thanks for your cooperation.

LOL! tia what are you doing up so early in the morning. 4am my time is 5 am yours. I'm retired so it doesn't matter when I'm up.😴😁