THE BROWNS BOARD

**** Official Browns at Giants Gameday Thread

Zombo

12 minutes ago, Barry said:

This makes me think of a question. Which other Qbs can you remember who have had as drastic a makeover as Baker that has been successful? Remember that Baker was mentioned in the same breath as Favre when he entered the league, in terms of playing style and talent. Now we are talking about him as a Montana or Brady-type Qb, and he is succeeding at it. I'm sure there are some but off the top of my head I can't think of a Qb who has weathered such a different transformation and been successful at it.

Drew Brees..    Was considered a bust in SD...they drafted Manning who turned into Rivers and let Brees walk.     With Sean Payton as his coach, Brees turned into the hall of famer we all see today but that's not how his career looked coming out of college.

• Upvote 1

Random thoughts...

• Baker... continues to show an improved touch.
  • Peeps... saw more limbs on his route tree last nite. Kid is developing very nicely.
  • Harris... For his 2nd best position he looked pretty good at OG. Kid has bulked up, but still needs more anchor. Good news is his strength is in taking angles and you could see that in his PassPro and power blocking, but it's in his ZBS work where it really shines.
  • Hooper... looks frickin' slow compared to our other two TEs, but hands were solid last nite... a welcome return.
  • Richardson... holding my breath here a bit, but replay did not look that bad. Hopefully a mild sprain and nothing more.
  • MG... the man is sucking it up... literally.
  • Pretty quiet night for our LBs... few errors, but also few plays.
  • Joseph... big game leading us in tackles and passes defensed. Still a name I want to see around in 2021.
  • Redwine... nice game as well. Did not get enough notice for his thump of Morris in our goal-line stop on 4th down.
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Drew Brees..    Was considered a bust in SD...they drafted Manning who turned into Rivers and let Brees walk.     With Sean Payton as his coach, Brees turned into the hall of famer we all see today but that's not how his career looked coming out of college.

Really? A bust?

You'd know SD's attitude towards Drew better than I, but after a rocky couple years he did post a really good 2004 culminating in a Pro Bowl selection. Some fall off in 2005 including the shoulder issue which ultimately only NO was willing to take a chance on. In both years Rivers sat behind him.

I do remember coming out of Purdue that Brees was considered a strong prospect, but... and stop me if you've heard this before... his height was a concern, so he slid to Round 2.

34 minutes ago, Barry said:

This makes me think of a question. Which other Qbs can you remember who have had as drastic a makeover as Baker that has been successful? Remember that Baker was mentioned in the same breath as Favre when he entered the league, in terms of playing style and talent. Now we are talking about him as a Montana or Brady-type Qb, and he is succeeding at it. I'm sure there are some but off the top of my head I can't think of a Qb who has weathered such a different transformation and been successful at it.

Baker is 25.  Endured bad coaching last year. It is not so much a drastic makeover-  more like starting to come into your own with experience. And having no pass rush in your face (like last night)

Remember Farve had struggles early, Brees didn’t have it fully early.  Rodgers was riding pine at Bakers age. 

Im not calling him Brady by any stretch Brady operates in a pocket better. I’ll maintain the low rocket throws in tight windows reminded me last night of Elway. He had one point where he scrambled Elwayesque for 6 yards on 3rd and 5.  Totally an Elway move...he hits you with two bullets for first downs you play him well the next set of downs and he scrambles for a first down on a 3rd down. 

27 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Not hardly a bust. He was going into a contract year with a major shoulder issue. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Not hardly a bust. He was going into a contract year with a major shoulder issue. 

But they drafted a QB at #4 when you already have Brees on the roster (before injury) so they weren't all that convinced that he was the future of the team were they?

Here’s some numbers from last night’s game. . .

84.3 — Completion percentage for Baker Mayfield, who completed 27-of-32 passes for 297 yards and two touchdowns. It's the third-best single-game completion percentage (min. 15 attempts) in Browns history.

324.6 — Average passing yards in Mayfield's last three games — the most productive three-game stretch of his career.

126.2 — Quarterback rating for Mayfield, his seventh game of the season of 100+. The Browns are 7-0 in those games.

99.4 — Mayfield's quarterback rating for the season, the best mark of his career.

10 — Wins for the Browns, their most since 2007.

95 — Two of the Browns' three scoring drives covered 95 yards. They combined to take 12:59 off the clock.

3 — Austin Hooper and Jarvis Landry each caught their third touchdown of the season. The Browns have six different players with three or more touchdown catches this year.

29 — Receptions by Landry over the past four games.

27.6 — Average yards per catch over the past three games for rookie WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, who has eight catches for 221 yards during that period.

6 — Points scored by the Giants, marking a season-low for the Browns defense. It's the first time Cleveland has held an opponent without a touchdown since Week 2 of 2019.

11 — Sacks on the season for Myles Garrett, who collected a half-sack on one of the game's final plays. He's 2.5 shy of tying the team record for most in a season.

74 — Rushing yards allowed by the Browns, marking the seventh time this season Cleveland has limited its opponent to 100 or fewer. The Browns are 7-0 in those games.

10 — Tackles by Karl Joseph, who had one of his best games of the season

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But, I think that was a fucking bullshit call.   All I saw was a Giant's player getting in his grill after that TD, and Landry just responded to a guy in his face.  In reality, based on what I could tell, the penalty should have been on the defender. 

Really?  So Landry hasn't been called for taunting a bunch of times?  Standing over a guy?  Spinning the ball on the ground right in front of a guy?  I betchya it's 4 times since he's been here.  

3 hours ago, Barry said:

I think it happens often enough.   If a guy gets picked by a shit organization:   (see Jets....or Browns of last 20 years...and others)  it can ruin him, and he may not recover until he goes elsewhere.   It is why  Eli Manning wanted nothing to do with the guy running the Chargers at the time.  

One guy comes to mind:   Came out of college highly, highly touted...as in Heisman winner, #1 overall pick.   For his first 7-8 years it was believed he was a bust, but then he went on to win 2 Super Bowls.:     Jim Plunkett.  Going to the Raiders was the right move for him.   Lousy coaching can make for lousy players....even if they are actually pretty good. 

11 — Sacks on the season for Myles Garrett, who collected a half-sack on one of the game's final plays. He's 2.5 shy of tying the team record for most in a season.

And that is also with being down and out and sick in the last 3 games.   Let's hope he get fully recovered and gets like  5 sacks against BR.....though even Garrett probably sack a guy that just catches the hike and throws the ball after one second for all those 3 yard tosses he is throwing up. 

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

They very well may have.....and now they may be even further convinced.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/why-the-eagles-drafted-jalen-hurts-what-it-means-for-carson-wentz-how-philadelphia-plans-to-use-him-and-more/amp/

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

3 hours ago, Mark O said:

But they drafted a QB at #4 when you already have Brees on the roster (before injury) so they weren't all that convinced that he was the future of the team were they?

Actually SD took Eli #1 overall... so, yes, your point is valid and as I wrote earlier Brees' first three seasons were far from awe inspiring and safe to say they weren't sold on hm.

But then the damnedest thing happened... he won and help the job for two more seasons.

22 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Actually SD took Eli #1 overall... so, yes, your point is valid and as I wrote earlier Brees' first three seasons were far from awe inspiring and safe to say they weren't sold on hm.

But then the damnedest thing happened... he won and help the job for two more seasons.

Correct...  i forgot that part actually.  But they clearly weren't sold on him or they wouldn't draft another QB #1 overall.   It all worked out pretty well for all of them.   Rivers has/had a great career just without the title.  Eli won a couple in NY but was pretty much ok the rest of the time and Brees has turned into one of the best ever since he got to New Orleans.