THE BROWNS BOARD

**** Official Browns at Giants Gameday Thread

Zombo

Taking Care Of Business !!!  Best half-time adjustment. Shutting down the run up the middle. Once that worked, they were on the ropes! Still don’t understand why the Giants took over the ball with 12 min left, down 3 scores, and were running the football and taking their time to the next snap. Also a critical timeout on an on-side kickoff recovery? Wow, if I’m the NY media, I’d be all over these guys. Taking nothing away from our win but that was inept coaching. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

That was the best of Baker Mayfield.  Wow.

I hate to say the name but he looked like Elway  

Chris Collingwood said just that and he's good at what he does.

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Really I promise I didn’t steal it.  He was throwing some low heat tonight reminded me of  Elway 

His numbers and the sharp passes are the proof he's coming back into his rookie year or better.

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

So far so good. Surprised to see Harris as the guy called on to back up Hubbard. I was getting the impression he was seen strictly as a center. So far he seems to be holding up. 

There was absolutely no one else left on the active roster to take over,  Unless you wanted to move Lamm in there.  And he is a tackle.  I think it is easier for a center to go to guard than for a tackle to do so. 

22 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Taking Care Of Business !!!  Best half-time adjustment. Shutting down the run up the middle. Once that worked, they were on the ropes! Still don’t understand why the Giants took over the ball with 12 min left, down 3 scores, and were running the football and taking their time to the next snap. Also a critical timeout on an on-side kickoff recovery? Wow, if I’m the NY media, I’d be all over these guys. Taking nothing away from our win but that was inept coaching. 

You wonder why?   Hello:   Fat Freddie, that is probably why. 

NY was very good to us today.  

The Jets got their win.  The monkey is off their back just in the nick of time for us to play them.  And of course, our win over the Giants.

Now, we root for the Raiders over the Dolphins next week.  And the Packers over the Titans.  And (cough) the Steelers over the Colts.

--------  on a side note. D'Ernest Johnson sealed the win with a nice third down double digit yards run.  He has done that twice this year for us.  

37 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

A nice comfortable win. After that pulmonary punisher last week this was nice. 

Thinking the same thing...

Plenty of relaxed chit-chat in The Tavern... for a change.

48 minutes ago, Orion said:

NY was very good to us today.  

The Jets got their win.  The monkey is off their back just in the nick of time for us to play them.  And of course, our win over the Giants.

Now, we root for the Raiders over the Dolphins next week.  And the Packers over the Titans.  And (cough) the Steelers over the Colts.

--------  on a side note. D'Ernest Johnson sealed the win with a nice third down double digit yards run.  He has done that twice this year for us.  

What? You worried about playoff seeding? Get real. We want the Browns, Colts, and Dolphins to all win out. Baltimore goes home in that scenario.   

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

There was absolutely no one else left on the active roster to take over,  Unless you wanted to move Lamm in there.  And he is a tackle.  I think it is easier for a center to go to guard than for a tackle to do so. 

The team elevated a guard named Michael Dunn to the active roster for this game. I expected that was the reason, he was the insurance in case one of the other guards went down. Apparently he was the insurance to the insurance.

• Upvote 1

Landry cost us a point today.  

I like Landry.  He's good for our team.  But the guy is good for one taunting penalty a game it seems.  And it cost us a point.

One thing about Nick Chubb, he'lll never get a taunting or unsportsman like conduct penalty.  

--  Kudos to Mayfield.  The Giants DL and LB'ers did a nice job on our running game.  (of course their season stats were good against the run).  Baker had to pick up the slack in order for us to win the game.  And he did.  Kudos Baker!

And Kudos to Colt McCoy.  He did a pretty good job.  When he came to us he was a wide-eyed QB to whom 'the game' was quite large and fast.  He had trouble being aware of everything.  The play clock could run out without him noticing.  Now, he's a very aware player.  He done growed up.  He's an ok guy.

Kudos to the defense.  Nice to have Ward back to help solidify some of that defensive backfield!

Kudos to Nick Harris!  (hopefully Teller gets better this week........and Hubbard)

9 hours ago, Orion said:

I like Landry.  He's good for our team.  But the guy is good for one taunting penalty a game it seems.  And it cost us a point.

Most ticky tack call of the season. Landry was talking at the camera and the other guy got up in his face.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Orion said:

One thing about Nick Chubb, he'lll never get a taunting or unsportsman like conduct penalty.  

--  Kudos to Mayfield.  The Giants DL and LB'ers did a nice job on our running game.  (of course their season stats were good against the run).  Baker had to pick up the slack in order for us to win the game.  And he did.  Kudos Baker!

And Kudos to Colt McCoy.  He did a pretty good job.  When he came to us he was a wide-eyed QB to whom 'the game' was quite large and fast.  He had trouble being aware of everything.  The play clock could run out without him noticing.  Now, he's a very aware player.  He done growed up.  He's an ok guy.

Kudos to the defense.  Nice to have Ward back to help solidify some of that defensive backfield!

Kudos to Nick Harris!  (hopefully Teller gets better this week........and Hubbard)

Other guy got in his face. Kicker needs to make that.

Z

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

What? You worried about playoff seeding? Get real. We want the Browns, Colts, and Dolphins to all win out. Baltimore goes home in that scenario.   

Holy shit, really? Dolphins have a tough road but they look really good to me. Baltimore plays the easiest schedule imaginable and will not lose. 

11 hours ago, Orion said:

But, I think that was a fucking bullshit call.   All I saw was a Giant's player getting in his grill after that TD, and Landry just responded to a guy in his face.  In reality, based on what I could tell, the penalty should have been on the defender. 

But, check on these other points. 

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Holy shit, really? Dolphins have a tough road but they look really good to me. Baltimore plays the easiest schedule imaginable and will not lose. 

The Dolphins were fortunate in my opinion and didn’t play well.  Cam and the Pats seemed checked out to me. If the Dolphins play like that Saturday they will lose to the Raiders. 

And then the Texans...fumble at the goal line when they could tie it.   On the other side, we were really fortunate to play Watson in those conditions.  

14 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Their whole play-calling was strange, though I could see their strategy. That challenge of the onside kick was the dumbest call I've ever seen  a coach make. Like you said, it robbed them of a potentially critical time-out and did he really expect to see an unobstructed view of a pile-up?

I understand going for it on 4th down both times and kicking the FG late in the game. They felt that the Browns would score a lot and they'd have to take every chance they got to score 7, though the play they called both times left a lot to be desired. The FG late in the game put them 2 scores behind. if they went for a 1st instead and didn't get it they'd be 3 scores behind, so it made sense to kick it.

14 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

That was the best of Baker Mayfield.  Wow.

I hate to say the name but he looked like Elway  

i don't think he looked like Elway at all. Elway was more of a scrambler and pushed the ball downfield a lot more and took more chances. His passing percentage doesn't come close to Mayfield's. Though we remember him as picking us apart in those 2 games that wasn't his dominant M.O. 

The Qb who came to mind for me while watching Mayfield last night was Brady, believe it or not. Mayfield played smart. He knew who to throw it to, spread the ball out, had perfect timing with his receivers, and threw it past 20 yards just enough to keep the defense honest. He even ran 1-2 times when he had to. Not saying he'll turn into Brady but that's what his game reminded me of last night.

5 minutes ago, Barry said:

i don't think he looked like Elway at all. Elway was more of a scrambler and pushed the ball downfield a lot more and took more chances. His passing percentage doesn't come close to Mayfield's. Though we remember him as picking us apart in those 2 games that wasn't his dominant M.O. 

The Qb who came to mind for me while watching Mayfield last night was Brady, believe it or not. Mayfield played smart. He knew who to throw it to, spread the ball out, had perfect timing with his receivers, and threw it past 20 yards just enough to keep the defense honest. He even ran 1-2 times when he had to. Not saying he'll turn into Brady but that's what his game reminded me of last night.

I always thought that he could become  more Montana like.   Not tall in stature,  not a runner but mobile enough. Relying more on guile and precision passing  Not a hugely strong arm but certainly good enough and with extreme accuracy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I always thought that he could become  more Montana like.   Not tall in stature,  not a runner but mobile enough. Relying more on guile and precision passing  Not a hugely strong arm but certainly good enough and with extreme accuracy. 

I can see that also.

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

This makes me think of a question. Which other Qbs can you remember who have had as drastic a makeover as Baker that has been successful? Remember that Baker was mentioned in the same breath as Favre when he entered the league, in terms of playing style and talent. Now we are talking about him as a Montana or Brady-type Qb, and he is succeeding at it. I'm sure there are some but off the top of my head I can't think of a Qb who has weathered such a different transformation and been successful at it.