THE BROWNS BOARD

The Greatest Single Thing That Has Happened This Season

D Bone

27 minutes ago, D Bone said:

My daughter officially became a Dr. today!! 

Clickbait I know, but I just can't stop smiling. 

Congrats. Is she specializing in something , or a general practitioner?

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Congrats. Is she specializing in something , or a general practitioner?

Thanks! She's a DPT specializing in Pediatric Chronic Acute Illness. She accepted a 2yr position in Melbourne Australia and begins her career March 24.... We are hopeful that she can come home in mid January for 8 weeks, but we just don't know.

She's 26 and this is our first Christmas without her.... tough, but proud.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

8 hours ago, D Bone said:

She's a DPT specializing in Pediatric Chronic Acute Illness. She accepted a 2yr position in Melbourne Australia and begins her career March 24.... 👍 Awesome! What a Xmas gift 🎁

We are hopeful that she can come home in mid January for 8 weeks, but we just don't know. 🤞 Father of 3 college long distance grad young ladies. We wish you all well here also 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨 

She's 26 and this is our first Christmas without her.... tough, but proud. Bike rides are always tougher uphill than downhill 🚵‍♂️ Pride never leaves a heart 💕.. good luck

Big Congrats to the D-Bone family....  Orange Tavern Vegan drinks on me 🤓..  (no sissy sticks 🥤)   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, D Bone said:

My daughter officially became a Dr. today!! 

Clickbait I know, but I just can't stop smiling. 

Jesus man. That's effing incredible....the parental fantasy!! I couldn't be happier for you guys. 

If I sound jealous, it's because I am. My daughter is in middle school and can't assemble an outfit that matches or doesn't have a stain on it. 

• Thanks 1

My son was originally scheduled to have become a "Dr."  this year as well.   First it was to be in May, then December, now next May...everything pushed back because of Covid.    He will not become a medical doctor however,  but a PhD.   It is in a related field however, molecular biology. 

Congratulations to you and your daughter. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

My son was originally scheduled to have become a "Dr."  this year as well.   First it was to be in May, then December, now next May...everything pushed back because of Covid.    He will not become a medical doctor however,  but a PhD.   It is in a related field however, molecular biology. 

Congratulations to you and your daughter. 

Very interesting. One of my wife's Cornell roommates and her husband became PhD molecular biologists, the latter known, published and asked to speak all over the world. Both just retired this past year.

Thanks everyone! I'm out of Thankie Things for the day, but rest assured, you'll be gettin' one

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Jesus man. That's effing incredible....the parental fantasy!! I couldn't be happier for you guys. 

If I sound jealous, it's because I am. My daughter is in middle school and can't assemble an outfit that matches or doesn't have a stain on it. 

LOL!! I still had to wake my daughter up for school up until 10th grade..... She was also going to be a rock star, veterinarian who practiced in space too.

Then the light came on during her sophomore year when she had a pretty traumatic sports injury (2 compression fractures in her lumbar spine) and fell in love with the Dr's, PT's and trainers who got her back on the field in 10 months.

^ That was it. She set her goals and achieved them.... It will come dad, just gotta be patient

• Like 1

By the way,   While I have not been there  (Australia or Melbourne)......I have seen some shows set in Melbourne...both travelogues and TV shows set there....and it looks like a fabulous city.   I believe its weather is very similar to like  places in California. 

I assume you will be taking at least one trip down under to see her there.

• Like 1

Here is one testimonial:

I'm an American who lived in Australia for about six years. I was forced to return to my American life for a laundry list of reasons and due to the timing on my permanent residency visa, I'm unfortunately not going to be able to move back at any point.

I split my time in Australia between Sydney and Melbourne and, by far, Melbourne is the most amazing city I've ever lived in. I'm not particularly happy with or tied to where I live now and I'm hoping to find somewhere that has a similar vibe.

For those Melbournites that have visited the states, what city do you feel is the most like Melbourne?

ADDITION: What I liked most about Melbourne was the amazing public transport, the diversity, the general good vibe of everyone, the random things to look at everywhere, and feeling like I was safe to walk by myself at 1am in the cbd (central business district)

Also,  I looked it up, and I saw many comparisons of  Mebourne's weather to that more of San Francisco/Bay area than to LA of SD. 

24 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

By the way,   While I have not been there  (Australia or Melbourne)......I have seen some shows set in Melbourne...both travelogues and TV shows set there....and it looks like a fabulous city.   I believe its weather is very similar to like  places in California. 

I assume you will be taking at least one trip down under to see her there.

She absolutely loves it, and yes, it's very close to SF in terms of weather, just not quite as cold, but close.  She says that the country is "so laid back" and loves everything about it. While I wish she could live her dream near me, I would rather her be happy and away from me, than be near me and unhappy. 

Yes, we will be heading down there and hopefully in 2021, and if she ends up living her life there, then once my and my wife's elderly parents are gone, we will sell everything and move to her for the last chapter of our lives.... thinking 13-17yr away plan. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, D Bone said:

She absolutely loves it, and yes, it's very close to SF in terms of weather, just not quite as cold, but close. She says that the country is "so laid back" and loves everything about it. While I wish she could live her dream near me, I would rather her be happy and away from me, than be near me but unhappy. 

Yes, we will be heading down there and hopefully in 2021, and if she ends up living her life there, then once my and my wife's elderly parents are gone, we will sell everything and move to her for the last chapter of our lives.... thinking 13-17yr away plan. 

So............................................................😁

• Haha 1

That’s fantastic D Bone! Really happy for her and your fam. I know she played fastpitch softball like my daughter but was a stage of life older than my girl, so l always took an interest when you’d write about her. Damn, a doctor? That’s about as good as it gets. And a built in excuse to visit Australia ain’t so bad mate.

• Thanks 1