THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 15: CLE @ NYG... Browns vs. The New York Football Giants... in New Jersey

Tour2ma

On 12/17/2020 at 7:14 PM, Tour2ma said:

Wonder if they will practice the plays Freddie calls Sunday nite?

Again... these changes are not putting any fear in this heart.

What got me is Freddie is regularly their TE position coach. Now that's something you can't make up... ;)

Freddie won't matter 😎   https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/freddie-kitchens-plays-calling-giants-browns  TE Evan Engram pops up on a Friday injury report..🤔

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

My wife has known six people who have died from Covid

Shit really made me mad. And I'm not a confrontational type person either. Maybe a little high strung, but not aggressive. Lol. 

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Covid-19 is very real the 350 bed hospital I just left was FULL due to it.  The small one I'm in now 28 beds has a covid-19 wing

Are you sick or do you work in the hospital? Either way I hope you are doing well! 

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He's been in and out of hospitals for months now-quite a trooper!!

Damn....I'm sorry I missed that. Sending prayers and thoughts for good health. And Browns wins. Mostly good health...but also Browns. 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Icecube said:

Teller is out.

This is the absolute killer. Teller always seems to go out right when we need him. I hope he heals up quickly! 

Both teams are obviously bitten by the injury bug, but what most don't realize is how bad the Sendejo injury hurts us. I know he hasn't been good this year, I get it, but just wait until you get a load of Shedrick Redwine. Good grief is he bad. Redwine will make a few plays that get you thinking he's pretty good, and then he'll go straight ass clown and you'll be wishing for Sendejo. Remember when Mike Glennon threw it deep on us? Colt McCoy WILL hit several deep TDs on us, too. No team can prevent TDs with their 5th and 6th string safeties. There WILL be people open. 

Hubbard played well in Teller's previous absence, but he's nowhere NEAR the run blocker Teller is. The GOOD news is that Hubbs is a better pass blocker than Teller, and Teller was beaten multiple times in the past several games, so it's possible we're getting an upgrade. 

Just so everyone knows, Jabrill Peppers is going to have the game of his life tomorrow night. Doesn't it just seem like it's ordained? Lol! He's gonna cause a fumble, have a pick 6, and lord knows what else. I just see it. 😂

16 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

This is the absolute killer. Teller always seems to go out right when we need him. I hope he heals up quickly! 

Both teams are obviously bitten by the injury bug, but what most don't realize is how bad the Sendejo injury hurts us. I know he hasn't been good this year, I get it, but just wait until you get a load of Shedrick Redwine. Good grief is he bad. Redwine will make a few plays that get you thinking he's pretty good, and then he'll go straight ass clown and you'll be wishing for Sendejo. Remember when Mike Glennon threw it deep on us? Colt McCoy WILL hit several deep TDs on us, too. No team can prevent TDs with their 5th and 6th string safeties. There WILL be people open. 

Hubbard played well in Teller's previous absence, but he's nowhere NEAR the run blocker Teller is. The GOOD news is that Hubbs is a better pass blocker than Teller, and Teller was beaten multiple times in the past several games, so it's possible we're getting an upgrade. 

Just so everyone knows, Jabrill Peppers is going to have the game of his life tomorrow night. Doesn't it just seem like it's ordained? Lol! He's gonna cause a fumble, have a pick 6, and lord knows what else. I just see it. 😂

I'm not wishing the rest of the season away, but man I can't wait until the offseason so that the front office can get to work on this defense.

I'm looking forward to the day that the names Sendejo and Redwine won't be written on here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm not wishing the rest of the season away, but man I can't wait until the offseason so that the front office can get to work on this defense.

No I get it, I do. We got a taste of what we can do in one offseason with the OFFENSE, so my mind drifts toward, "OK...what can we do with the DEFENSE!" 

I think we're now in a pickle with Vernon. For a long while it was a given that he's toast, but now...I'm not sure. If Vernon closes out the season strongly, and I expect him to absolutely blow UP tomorrow, that decision is difficult. Other than that, I think Ogunjobi is gone, and virtually every linebacker probably gone except maybe Goodson and possibly Taki. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

No I get it, I do. We got a taste of what we can do in one offseason with the OFFENSE, so my mind drifts toward, "OK...what can we do with the DEFENSE!" 

I think we're now in a pickle with Vernon. For a long while it was a given that he's toast, but now...I'm not sure. If Vernon closes out the season strongly, and I expect him to absolutely blow UP tomorrow, that decision is difficult. Other than that, I think Ogunjobi is gone, and virtually every linebacker probably gone except maybe Goodson and possibly Taki. 

There's a misconception around here that the defense was overlooked on purpose, that the front office "couldn't fix everything in one offseason so they concentrated solely on the offense". 

Actually, the Browns picked three defensive players directly after Wills in the 2nd and 3rd rounds... Problem is, they've contributed little. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

There's a misconception around here that the defense was overlooked on purpose, that the front office "couldn't fix everything in one offseason so they concentrated solely on the offense". 

Actually, the Browns picked three defensive players directly after Wills in the 2nd and 3rd rounds... Problem is, they've contributed little. 

Yep.  Delpit injury was huge. 

And I think They expected Taki and Wilson to take a big step forward.  After average below average years that was leap of faith IMO.  And Greedy to play and solidify the second corner spot.  Again what has Greedy done at this level.  So front office is not without fault.

We’ve learned that we have very little depth. 

most of us have given woods a pass this season over these events and guys like Sendejo, MJ stewart, etc. getting more time than what we thought.  Doesn’t that happen every year?  Injuries. Guys playing we don’t expect? 

I was impressed with Woods taking a relative no name secondary w/ one aging vet last season and coaching them up well - by most all accounts he did a great job with what they had.  If you dig around they had some turnover on that defense last season and setbacks with injuries. 

the game plans have been puzzling.  Halftime Prevent defense multiple times with leads.  No blitzing Glennon.  Whatever we did against Lamar Monday. He’s too conservative- when you need to pressure to protect this weak secondary- not sit back and make them cover a couple extra seconds. 

• Upvote 1

Giants media reporter..  

Colt McCoy starts Sunday night vs. the Browns. Daniel Jones had too much to overcome. Right hamstring strain not gone. Left ankle sprain added in. Giants doing what had to be done.

2 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Giants media reporter..  

Colt McCoy starts Sunday night vs. the Browns. Daniel Jones had too much to overcome. Right hamstring strain not gone. Left ankle sprain added in. Giants doing what had to be done.

Pressure Colt every play and he folds like a Ghoolie accordion.🤣

4 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Giants media reporter..  

Bad news.  Colt doesn’t do stupid things 

53 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

It's going to be quick release, short passes 95% of the time. Maybe, just maybe our LBs will recognize that and make a play or several!!!

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

More of a lack of comprehension by some around here.

No one has said "solely" and no one has focused on the draft alone. This FO emphasized the offensive side throughout the off-season in contract extensions, FA and the draft. It was a smart approach then and remains so today because Job 1 was to be sure of what we have in Mayfield. Of course one of those contract extensions went to MG, so again, not solely.

SdB mentioned Delpit availability issue... add Phillps to that list as well appearing on only 7 games to date. So that leaves Elliot who was drafted to be a backup as the primary contributor through 13 games. It's not surprising that their sum total is low to date.

Contrast that with John "The Football Guy" Dorsey's 2019 Defensive draft...

image.png.57cb00ec3ec61c3a33eadc0cb773705c.png

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

More of a lack of comprehension by some around here.

No one has said "solely" and no one has focused on the draft alone. This FO emphasized the offensive side throughout the off-season in contract extensions, FA and the draft. It was a smart approach then and remains so today because Job 1 was to be sure of what we have in Mayfield. Of course one of those contract extensions went to MG, so again, not solely.

SdB mentioned Delpit availability issue... add Phillps to that list as well appearing on only 7 games to date. So that leaves Elliot who was drafted to be a backup as the primary contributor through 13 games. It's not surprising that their sum total is low to date.

Contrast that with John "The Football Guy" Dorsey's 2019 Defensive draft...

image.png.57cb00ec3ec61c3a33eadc0cb773705c.png

Jesus, you are so laughably predictable.

I'm guessing Pavlov's dog's name was "Tour". 

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Jesus, you are so laughably predictable.

I'm guessing Pavlov's dog's name was "Tour". 

Better than being laughably wrong...

Arf...

18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Wait....

Now we're scared of Colt?

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Better than being laughabl-e

Garrett and McCoy share a financial adviser, the Browns defensive end said Friday. And yes, that does factor into Garrett’s motivation heading into Sunday’s contest.

“Me and Colt have the same financial adviser so if he’s under center I’m going to bust his a– and tell our adviser about it,”  🤣 #95

Final Practice Reports for the week.

As others have mentioned above Sendejo and Teller are Out. Njoku appears as a DNP. Tretter got a day off. Hodge, KJ and Ward looking iffy. Hoop, Ogun and Stewart lok good to go.

image.thumb.png.1ad2529c513c8bc9e996cda3f4ebf811.png

And NYG's report...

image.thumb.png.291861f0fb3b215496c883edbb178b61.png

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I know injuries happen every team, but that Delpit injury really altered what we wanted to do defensively. The silver lining is the injury directly lead to us getting Harrison, who is without a doubt one of our best players. We wanted to run a triple safety defense with Delpit at the LoS and moving all around. 

We deliberately avoided the linebacker position and it has cost us dearly. The really fun thing to think about is what our secondary is going to look like assuming Delpit returns healthy. Unfortunately we can't count on Greedy, and I'm not even sure he's better than Mitchell ANYWAY. We HAVE to re-sign Kevin Johnson as our nickel (he'll command a shitload btw) and then you'd be looking at Denzel Ward, Terrence Mitchell, Ronnie Harrison, and Grant Delpit. It's hypothetically the best secondary in the NFL. 

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

As others have mentioned above Sendejo and Teller are Out. Njoku appears as a DNP. Tretter got a day off. Hodge, KJ and Ward looking iffy. Hoop, Ogun and Stewart lok good to go.

The KJ injury is absolutely killer. He HAS to play or else it's Tavierre Thomas...and that can't happen. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

After Dimes beating last week👀 I thought Dimes was a no go all week... In 1 start & 2 mop up duties, Colt in 2020

Passing Rushing Fumbles Off. Snaps Def. Snaps ST Snaps
Rk Date G# Week Age Tm   Opp Result GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD Fmb FL FF FR Yds TD Num Pct Num Pct Num Pct
  3 Games             2-1-0   21 35 60.00 154 1 1 68.0 4 17 4.40 3.69 7 9 1.29 0 1 1 0 0 0 0
1 2020-11-29 11 12 34.085 NYG @ CIN W 19-17   6 10 60.00 31 0 0 65.0 0 0 3.10 3.10 5 7 1.40 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 30 37% 0 0% 0 0%
2 2020-12-06 12 13 34.092 NYG @ SEA W 17-12 * 13 22 59.09 105 1 1 67.4 2 5 4.77 3.64 2 2 1.00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 56 100% 0 0% 0 0%
3 2020-12-13 13 14 34.099 NYG   ARI L 7-26   2 3 66.67 18 0 0 82.6 2 12 6.00 6.00 0 0   0 1 1 0 0 0 0 5 10% 0 0% 0 0%

Covid:: Teams can't even get back into building till Wednesday.. Giants practice was called off one day w/Garrett covid report.. I'm not even sure if NY media was aloud at any practices this week? But, I'm fairly certain Colt got most the starter reps regardless of the NY media reports 

11 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

The silver lining is the injury directly lead to us getting Harrison, who is without a doubt one of our best players. 

We HAVE to re-sign Kevin Johnson as our nickel (he'll command a shitload btw) and then you'd be looking at Denzel Ward, Terrence Mitchell, Ronnie Harrison, and Grant Delpit. It's hypothetically the best secondary in the NFL. 

That is one helluva hypothetical considering how often Ward and Harrison are not on the field, and the fact that Delpit has all of zero minutes of NFL experience. 

The young players on the defensive side of the ball have answered no answers going into the offseason. I can't think of a rookie or second year player on defense that has made Berry's job easier by putting a visegrip on a starting job and claiming it as his.