THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 15: CLE @ NYG... Browns vs. The New York Football Giants... in New Jersey

Tour2ma

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Who the hell do we even have playing in our defensive backfield? 

Denzel (cross your fingers his tissue injuries seem to take forever). Money Mitch. Karl Lost in space Joseph, Tedric secret weapon Thompson, MJ Stewart, Thomas (still on the roster)?, Moffatt 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Who the hell do we even have playing in our defensive backfield? 

Our 6th and 7th stringers. Just know this game is going to be a war. We won't be able to stop anyone and they'll be able to stop us. It's gonna be a tight game. 

48 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Our 6th and 7th stringers. Just know this game is going to be a war. We won't be able to stop anyone and they'll be able to stop us. It's gonna be a tight game. 

I hear you...

After Ward, Mitchell, Harrison the drop of is big and we have a group of Stewart, Joseph, Redwine, Johnson, Thomas, okay one more drop Sendejo.

Shake up 4-9 in a bag and put them on the field and it’s all the same. 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

That’s a huge loss for GMen.  I thought he had whale of a game against the Seahawks a few weeks ago. 

He really did. That's huge because their backup won't be near his level. I'm more worried about their DL though. 

Sendejo got his concussion while trying to keep the RB out of the end zone.  Adding injury to insult.  I'd bet he's out this week.  It'll be interesting to see who's out there against the Giants.

Kitchens calling plays and Colt McCoy at QB.  You can't make this stuff up.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:23 AM, BobPOUND! said:

From a game plan point of view, the only thing we could have done different was to put a full time shadow on Jackson to keep him from busting out. But then of course that means one less in pass coverage and he showed he can still pass if he has to.

What that game showed is that we still can't beat NFL elite teams, but damn we came close. Who in the AFC is playing better than the Ravens right now? Chief's, Pittsburgh?  Maybe Buffalo and that's about it. The rest of the AFC we are at or above their level already.   

This Giants game is a litmus test for me. If the progress we've made is real, this game shouldn't scare any one. The Ravens game knocked us back to reality. But also showed us how incredibly far we've come this season.. This Ravens team was BETTER than the week 1 Ravens.. And we are infinitely better than the Browns we were at week 1..

Go Browns.. 

RE: Jackson, can pass to wide open receivers that our MASH unit secondary couldn't cover. Getting Ward back will be huge. Giants having Bradberry out helps Baker and the passing game. Litmus test? Yeah- it's a game we should win. (When is the last time we could say that?)  Now go out there and do it- convincingly. :)  

On 12/16/2020 at 5:05 PM, D Bone said:

I don't.  I think going 1-3 over the last 4 puts us on the outside looking in.

Right now we have a young Jekyll and Hyde team that has beaten Tenn and Indy, hung on for dear life against the Bungles (twice), squeaked by the Texans and Jags and lost every game to their top division rivals... unpopular statement I know, but it is what it is. 

The stage is getting bigger and brighter every week, and while I think they can beat both the NY teams, and are far and away the better team, it all depends on if the good Dr. or Mr. Hyde shows up Sunday night..... and I think all 6 of my concerns will dictate that. 

1-3  (ending up at 10-6) is 2007 deja vu.  Ratbirds are going to win out 11-5. Dolphins 11-5  ditto, winnable against the Patriots & Raiders (that would do the Browns a favor) Bills if Buffalo is locked into a seed and rests players. Colts have one toughie against the Steelers another 11-5 possible. Titans one toughie against the Packers on the road. 11-5.  Us losing to the Raiders sucks if we both wind up 10-6 for the final playoff spot. Go Chargers!!! 

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I just heard this on NFL radio this morning.
I liked playing the Garrett/hobbled Jones combo better.

Freddie has something to prove and Colt is a guy that doesn’t make many mistakes and just plays hard.  

How quickly we forget Freddie's lousy play calling though. Colt isn't exactly mobile. Bring Garrett and the house. Even if Jones plays, he's not going to be 100% healthy. 

Wonder if they will practice the plays Freddie calls Sunday nite?

Again... these changes are not putting any fear in this heart.

What got me is Freddie is regularly their TE position coach. Now that's something you can't make up... ;)

Darnay Holmes ruled out now and with James Bradberry out for Giants they are onto #3 and #4 put in the lineup.  Good news there.

Evan Engram TE now iffy.  That would be huge.  He’s their lone vertical weapon. 

Danny Jones looking more possible to play.  If he goes and moves around poorly like he did last week that’s a Plus for us and it’s better for us than having a healthy Colt McCoy. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Darnay Holmes ruled out now and with James Bradberry out for Giants they are onto #3 and #4 put in the lineup.  Good news there.

Evan Engram TE now iffy.  That would be huge.  He’s their lone vertical weapon. 

Danny Jones looking more possible to play.  If he goes and moves around poorly like he did last week that’s a Plus for us and it’s better for us than having a healthy Colt McCoy. 

Holy shit, SD...are you serious? That's NOT good for the Giants. Let me tell you something, Daniel Jones scares the SHIT out of me. But an injured Daniel Jones does not. Jones holds onto the ball so freaking long, and with the way Vernon is playing and with Garrett feeling better? Shit...gimme that ALL day. 

The Giants have a very good defense, we all know this. But what does that MEAN? What do they really do that makes them tough? Well, as SD said they have great corners, but the starters are both OUT. The Giants are a ZONE defense primarily, and that's exactly what you DON'T want to play against Baker Mayfield who is extremely adept at taking what the defense gives him and he doesn't press the issue. Why? Because he doesn't HAVE to. Baker is quite comfortable moving the ball down the field and he's NAILS in the red zone. 

It's going to be another game where the pass will yet again set up the run game. We will not be able to simply run all over them. Giants will place 73 defenders on the line of scrimmage and make running very difficult. That's OK, we're used to that by now, and we've proven adept at winning other ways. We'll use motion, play-action, and the short passing game to keep possession of the ball. We should move the ball if we're on our game. 

The bad news is that the Giants will run the ball all over us. It's how it is. Their backup RB is on fire right now and we're obviously not great at stopping the run. Daniel Jones is extremely fast and can also run. He definitely can beat you, especially if you have a bad defense (ahem...like us). Jones will also surprise you with decent RPO skills and he'll kill you with those quick passes over the middle. Now, he does turn it over, so that's good, but if he gets hot... 

That being said, I FULLY expect Colt McCoy to play. Watch for trick plays, going for it on 4th, and whatever else New York can do to keep the ball. They know we have the worst 4th down defense in history, and they know they need to score. Let's face it, the script is written. Freddie calling the plays, Colt McCoy starting, Jabrill Peppers on defense (obviously he'll have a pick 6 or something), it really seems like the cosmic forces are aligning for a Browns loss. We had a bunch of fumbles last week and inexplicably recovered all of them. That won't happen again if we put it on the floor. 

Oh yeah, we don't Wyatt Tellar...AGAIN. IN THE WORST GAME to not have him. Our offensive line was ATROCIOUS last week, and it won't be better with Hubbard in. We gave up a ton of penetration to Baltimore and Jedrick Wills was abysmal. If Giants give us fits on defense and score a defensive TD like I'm predicting, we in trouble. There WAY too many story lines going against us for us to simply win by multiple scores. It's a weird game, a game I think is ripe for upset, and I don't like the storylines. Believe it or not, that shit somehow matters. 

Should we win? Yes. Do we seem to always lose to backup QBs? Also yes. Listen, Mike Glennon almost beat us. We are not invincible by any stretch. I think we need our defense to win this game. I don't think we're going to score more than 20 points. This could be a Myles Garrett victory game where he wrecks everything and we barely hold on late. In fact, that's what I'm predicting. A nail biting, ugly AF, please hold on and win this effing game...game.

Browns 19

Giants 17

27 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Holy shit, SD...are you serious? That's NOT good for the Giants. Let me tell you something, Daniel Jones scares the SHIT out of me. But an injured Daniel Jones does not. Jones holds onto the ball so freaking long, and with the way Vernon is playing and with Garrett feeling better? Shit...gimme that ALL day. 

The Giants have a very good defense, we all know this. But what does that MEAN? What do they really do that makes them tough? Well, as SD said they have great corners, but the starters are both OUT. The Giants are a ZONE defense primarily, and that's exactly what you DON'T want to play against Baker Mayfield who is extremely adept at taking what the defense gives him and he doesn't press the issue. Why? Because he doesn't HAVE to. Baker is quite comfortable moving the ball down the field and he's NAILS in the red zone. 

It's going to be another game where the pass will yet again set up the run game. We will not be able to simply run all over them. Giants will place 73 defenders on the line of scrimmage and make running very difficult. That's OK, we're used to that by now, and we've proven adept at winning other ways. We'll use motion, play-action, and the short passing game to keep possession of the ball. We should move the ball if we're on our game. 

The bad news is that the Giants will run the ball all over us. It's how it is. Their backup RB is on fire right now and we're obviously not great at stopping the run. Daniel Jones is extremely fast and can also run. He definitely can beat you, especially if you have a bad defense (ahem...like us). Jones will also surprise you with decent RPO skills and he'll kill you with those quick passes over the middle. Now, he does turn it over, so that's good, but if he gets hot... 

That being said, I FULLY expect Colt McCoy to play. Watch for trick plays, going for it on 4th, and whatever else New York can do to keep the ball. They know we have the worst 4th down defense in history, and they know they need to score. Let's face it, the script is written. Freddie calling the plays, Colt McCoy starting, Jabrill Peppers on defense (obviously he'll have a pick 6 or something), it really seems like the cosmic forces are aligning for a Browns loss. We had a bunch of fumbles last week and inexplicably recovered all of them. That won't happen again if we put it on the floor. 

Oh yeah, we don't Wyatt Tellar...AGAIN. IN THE WORST GAME to not have him. Our offensive line was ATROCIOUS last week, and it won't be better with Hubbard in. We gave up a ton of penetration to Baltimore and Jedrick Wills was abysmal. If Giants give us fits on defense and score a defensive TD like I'm predicting, we in trouble. There WAY too many story lines going against us for us to simply win by multiple scores. It's a weird game, a game I think is ripe for upset, and I don't like the storylines. Believe it or not, that shit somehow matters. 

Should we win? Yes. Do we seem to always lose to backup QBs? Also yes. Listen, Mike Glennon almost beat us. We are not invincible by any stretch. I think we need our defense to win this game. I don't think we're going to score more than 20 points. This could be a Myles Garrett victory game where he wrecks everything and we barely hold on late. In fact, that's what I'm predicting. A nail biting, ugly AF, please hold on and win this effing game...game.

Browns 19

Giants 17

If Danny Dimes is anything like last week- we are good.  He didn’t want to move around and he didn’t want to be outside of the pocket running and the Cards brought some blitzes on third down (hello Woods wake up) and confused him and he moved like Eli Manning.  Healthy Dimes and I agree we have a few more problems but healthy Dimes still doesn’t feel the pressure well and has bad ball control.  And that is no good with a rookie tackle and Myles Garrett breathing down your neck.  

Dimes go to is Slayton (hello Ward we need you).  He runs the slant well has very good hands but a marginal athlete but a tough player- I think of Landry. 

sorry I like the Dimes name. 

I agree that Myles and Vernon could feast which makes your prediction a little off.

We should take this one 34-17 or 20 type game. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Orion said:

Superman (L. Jackson) had to leave the game for a while.  He had it at Thanksgiving and said that all he did was sleep for 10 days.

He also said that even his eyeballs hurt.

Apparently this Covid is real... Who knew? 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

That was scheme induced Monday night.  Myles was one of the few players thinking contain first 

Except for the 4th and 5 touchdown....AHHHHHH. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Ya.... I tested positive for antibodies which means I had it at some point and had no clue and my 82 year old grandma got it and was pissed she couldn't go to Walmart for two weeks......

Buddy of mine had it and he said it was the worst four days of his life.... 

Guy like Myles Garrett looks like he is sucking wind on the sidelines two weeks after he had it....

Shit don't make sense....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I almost got into a fight at Costco last week. Some older douche bag got pissed off because the associate asked him to put on a mask. He got all animated and started raving on and on about how nobody has ever died from it and and masks are pointless. I told him to STFU and he stepped up to me. My wife basically saved his life because I was going to squash him like a grape. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I almost got into a fight at Costco last week. Some older douche bag got pissed off because the associate asked him to put on a mask. He got all animated and started raving on and on about how nobody has ever died from it and and masks are pointless. I told him to STFU and he stepped up to me. My wife basically saved his life because I was going to squash him like a grape. 

I don't blame you.

I have zero fucks left to give for people like that. 

My wife has known six people who have died from Covid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Oh brother what an a-hole, deserved to have been taught a good lesson.......thank goodness for your wife being there.

Covid-19 is very real the 350 bed hospital I just left was FULL due to it.  The small one I'm in now 28 beds has a covid-19 wing.

........but still it would be nice to get a few good hits in !   ;)

• Upvote 1