THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 15: CLE @ NYG... Browns vs. The New York Football Giants... in New Jersey

Tour2ma

Quick! Name three Giants not named Peppers... Not easy is it?

So here is their depth chart.

I hadn't realized they nabbed three of my fav members of the 2020 OL Class, Thomas, Lemieux and Peart.

image.thumb.png.7a3e1a634ed7f9e1bf93b6f8b33f03fe.png

And some NYG team stats...

Offense:

• 31st in scoring averaging 18.3 ppg.
  • 14th in rushing averaging 116.5 ypg and T-9th in rush average with 4.5 ypc.
  • 30th in passing averaging 183.5 ypg and T-29th in passing average with 5.7 ypa.
  • T-21st in turnovers averaging 1.5 per game with 0.8 fumbles and 0.8 INTs per game. (Rounding error makes the math not work.)

Defense:

• T-9th in scoring allowing 22.4 ppg.
  • 7th in rushing allowing 101.5 ypg and T-4th allowing 3.9 ypc.
  • 17th in passing allowing 241.5 and T-12th allowing 6.7 ypa.
  • T-7th in takeaways per game averaging 1.5 per game with 0.8 fumbles recovered per game and 0.8 INTs per game. (ibid)

34 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I hadn't realized they nabbed three of my fav members of the 2020 OL Class, Thomas, Lemieux and Peart.

Former Browns:

Kevin Zeitler,   Colt McCoy,  Dion Lewis, Jabal Sheard...any more? 

7 hours ago, D Bone said:

Scary ass game for sure. 

I identified why I was so upset after the Ravens game. It's because I'm absolutely terrified that we're going to shit the bed against the Giants and choke our way out of the playoffs. I realize I sound neurotic, but I am a Browns fan. Losing to the Giants is the exact type of shit we'd do. That or lose to the winless Jets. It's the Brownsiest shit I can think of, so I'm just saying it out loud. 

The good thing to try and understand is that we don't appear to be those Browns anymore, and as much as my damaged brain wants to create fantasies for failure, it's true that we still have an excellent chance of going to the post season. How about that. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I hadn't realized Jabaal Sheard was still in the league.

I forgot how many a's there were in Jabaal.

Z

• Haha 2

The next two games are either perfectly timed, or scary as shit(as said above). I know there are no moral victories and all, but screw that in regards to the Ravens game. I think the Ravens are back to form, in that they are an elite NFL team(not just AFC North). And we stood toe to toe to the bitter end of that game. That was a Baltimore team that no one has had to face since last year. They were firing on all cylinders.  

From a game plan point of view, the only thing we could have done different was to put a full time shadow on Jackson to keep him from busting out. But then of course that means one less in pass coverage and he showed he can still pass if he has to.. 

What that game showed is that we still can't beat NFL elite teams, but damn we came close. Who in the AFC is playing better than the Ravens right now? Chief's, Pittsburgh?  Maybe Buffalo and that's about it. The rest of the AFC we are at or above their level already.   

The loss may be perfectly timed because we got the loss out of the way. We were on a 4 game winning streak and I think we were starting think our shit didn't stink. I kept hearing to many players starting to get that "we are going to the super bowl" talk going.. SORRY we are not going to the Super Bowl, unless a bunch of stars fall into perfect alignment.  If we hunker down and beat the Jets and Giants we are in the playoffs. We can even beat Pukesburgh on Jan 3rd if they decide to sit some of their players if winning the game is meaningless to them... 

Depending on who we get in the first round of the Wild Card games, we could actually win a playoff game this year.. This sets us up for some big off season moves to shore up the players we have, and get the players we need.  I am more than happy with the progress we've made to date.. We've found our coach FINALLY and our head office FINALLY. I think we've found our QB. We have top tier talent at nearly every position. And now we can start to build upon it.. Not by gimmicks. But by doing it right.

This Giants game is a litmus test for me. If the progress we've made is real, this game shouldn't scare any one. The Ravens game knocked us back to reality. But also showed us how incredibly far we've come this season.. This Ravens team was BETTER than the week 1 Ravens.. And we are infinitely better than the Browns we were at week 1..

Go Browns.. 

• Upvote 2

I, too, am not getting the "scary thing"...

NYG has a good D to be sure and where they are best, run D, sets up another strength on strength match up. But we can win that and set up our PAP game in the process.

However, the real, non-scary bit is their O. Due to injury Wayne Gallman is now their feature back and even if Jones is back at QB, he ain't scary.

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I, too, am not getting the "scary thing"...

NYG has a good D to be sure and where they are best, run D, sets up another strength on strength match up. But we can win that and set up our PAP game in the process.

However, the real, non-scary bit is their O. Due to injury Wayne Gallman is now their feature back and even if Jones is back at QB, he ain't scary.

Well...to counter that, the real non-scary part of the Browns is our D.  Due to injuries we are playing without a starting defensive backfield....and our LBs are all backup level guys to begin with.   

• Upvote 1

In normal times, this could have been a hell of a week to go and stay in NYC, or outside of it.   Do a week of sightseeing/museums etc.   sandwiched between 2 games.

But no.  No fans allowed:

https://sportsnaut.com/new-york-giants-jets-announce-no-fans-allowed-at-metlife-stadium-for-2020-nfl-season/

7 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

That D line of the Gmen isn't fucking around.   The defense as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts, just ask Russell Wilson.

The Seattle game- the Hawks game plan was empty the backfield and throw downfield.  They didn't try to establish the run game.  I hope we are wiser.   

Leonard Williams is finally living up to his potential.

Throw in guys like Blake Martinez and Jabril Peppers who is around the ball a lot- its a good unit.  

The next one that counts a chicken before the egg has hatched gets a swift internet kick to the man meat.   (and remember, my legs are like steal vices) 

1) Browns as a team are emotionally drained after that heartbreaker... don't for a second discount what that does to a person, much less a team. They aren't Madden players. 

2) They are on a short week and on the big stage again and know that all eyes are on them.

3) The pressure of having to win the games you're supposed to win to simply get to the playoffs is a heavy burden, and make no mistake, the team feels it. 

4) They are on the road - back-to-back, and all that it entails. 

5) History says the Jets most likely aren't going 0-16. (I know we play the Giants this week, I'm simply foreshadowing) 

6) The Browns bring that scary defense of theirs wherever they go.... like an evil shadow in a horror movie. 

^ On paper the Browns should win, and win comfortably..... too bad this game won't be played on paper. Kevin has done a great job all year and I have no doubt he will have a good offensive game plan and we'll all find out what the Browns are made of these last 3 games because in my opinion they have to go 2-1 to get to the dance. 

Good points - I'd like to add, that the Browns, after their first three losses... they won every time the following game. This team is built, led, coached to be resilient. They have a GREAT locker room, great leadership, outstanding attitudes...

rain, sleet or hail - they keep their sense of humor, and their tenacity and bring it every play. I expect them to bounce back and win this next game after the loss.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

The next one that counts a chicken before the egg has hatched gets a swift internet kick to the man meat.   (and remember, my legs are like steal vices) 

I don't think I have seen anyone here take that game for granted.  Sure, there have been predictions that the Browns will win it...but wtf...if that is the case, we should ban every post that makes a prediction of a score.

1) Browns as a team are emotionally drained after that heartbreaker... don't for a second discount what that does to a person, much less a team. They aren't Madden players. 

2) They are on a short week and on the big stage again and know that all eyes are on them.

3) The pressure of having to win the games you're supposed to win to simply get to the playoffs is a heavy burden, and make no mistake, the team feels it. 

4) They are on the road - back-to-back, and all that it entails. 

Well, the good thing is that the better team is the first team we play...so the road effect should be mitigated in the first game.  And I don't know if playing in the same (road) stadium 2 weeks in a row may also mitigate that.   It is why I asked the question earlier:  are the Browns staying in NY area between games?)

5) History says the Jets most likely aren't going 0-16. (I know we play the Giants this week, I'm simply foreshadowing) 

That concept did not work for the Browns a few years ago, did it? 

6) The Browns bring that scary defense of theirs wherever they go.... like an evil shadow in a horror movie. 

This is your best point out of the 6 you made. 

^ On paper the Browns should win, and win comfortably..... too bad this game won't be played on paper. Kevin has done a great job all year and I have no doubt he will have a good offensive game plan and we'll all find out what the Browns are made of these last 3 games because in my opinion they have to go 2-1 to get to the dance. 

You think even 10-6 will not get them there?  Even that last spot?

Daniel Jones played hurt last week- hobbled around and got pressured and was hurried and sacked.  He’s prone to fumbles and doesn’t pressure the defensive downfield that often.  We are far better off if he plays.

We need Ward to peel off his bandaid too because the Slayton guy they have is very underrated and he’s the go to guy. 

58 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Daniel Jones played hurt last week- hobbled around and got pressured and was hurried and sacked.  He’s prone to fumbles and doesn’t pressure the defensive downfield that often.  We are far better off if he plays.

We need Ward to peel off his bandaid too because the Slayton guy they have is very underrated and he’s the go to guy. 

Don't count out Sterling Shepard who has been coming back from an injured shoulder. Not many targets yet since recent return, but with the Browns who knows.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You think even 10-6 will not get them there?  Even that last spot?

I don't.  I think going 1-3 over the last 4 puts us on the outside looking in.

Right now we have a young Jekyll and Hyde team that has beaten Tenn and Indy, hung on for dear life against the Bungles (twice), squeaked by the Texans and Jags and lost every game to their top division rivals... unpopular statement I know, but it is what it is. 

The stage is getting bigger and brighter every week, and while I think they can beat both the NY teams, and are far and away the better team, it all depends on if the good Dr. or Mr. Hyde shows up Sunday night..... and I think all 6 of my concerns will dictate that. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

In normal times, this could have been a hell of a week to go and stay in NYC, or outside of it.   Do a week of sightseeing/museums etc.   sandwiched between 2 games.

But no.  No fans allowed:

https://sportsnaut.com/new-york-giants-jets-announce-no-fans-allowed-at-metlife-stadium-for-2020-nfl-season/

My cousin, who is as big a Browns fan as anyone, lives 45 minutes from East Rutherford. A situation like this - two Browns games in one week that close to him - will never happen again, and Covid says "No Browns for you!"

• Sad 1

Looks like D Bone is picking NYG... and that's good news for us. ;)

14 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

That D line of the Gmen isn't fucking around.   The defense as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts, just ask Russell Wilson.

Russell does not have our OL.

• Upvote 2

Practice reports...

Hodge and Ward are at least on the field this week... not so for Teller and Sendejo... rest look fairly unconcerning.

image.png.f58fd1efa3a9f41edaed079116e6ceb8.png

Short list for the G-men...

image.png.bd071f83ec3712ca502f99361fca78e0.png

Fresh updates to injury reports as well...

Not much added in ours...

image.png.01ffe45d20f9deec93032b90728eb357.png

Couple added bits in NYG's... Freeman "Out" and they are getting a Safety back fomr IR.

image.png.e52e5e792f510478eb5e97f2c06cf227.png