THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Haslam brings a title to Ohio

The Gipper

The Columbus Crew,  also owned by Browns owner  Jimmy Haslam,   are the Champions of the MLS.......often considered the 5th Major League Sport in America.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/12/12/columbus-crew-sc-are-2020-mls-cup-champions-second-title-club-history

Plus, from what I understand, Baker Mayfield had a hand in this championship story.  Here is how that goes:

The Crew was all set to move to Austin TX. after the 2018 season.    The only thing that could stop that from happening would be for someone to come in and buy the team and keep it here in Ohio.     Months earlier, the Browns had drafted  Baker Mayfield with the #1 pick....and then the  game against the Jets occurred in Baker's debut where he led the Browns in a come from behind win. 

According to reports, that win heightened  Haslam's enthusiasm for sports even more, and he decided the he would be the "White Knight"  that would save the MLS soccer team for Columbus.  So, with funds he recently got from his sale of Pilot/Flying J to Warren Buffet, he decided to buy the Crew and to put money into the stadium, and into the team. 

And here they are, now MLS Champions. 

So, even if we here in NE Ohio are somewhat oblivious to a Columbus team winning a potential major national title,  it does bode well that Haslam and his team seem to have figured out how to put together a championship sports franchise.   And now with the Browns at  9-3, his successes seem to be mounting up.  While the Browns may not compete for the NFL title, they are at least very much in the hunt for postseason play.  So, good news for both Columbus and Cleveland. 

• Upvote 1

ok,ok.. So I woke up feeling a little dirty today 🤓.. So yesterday, I'm watching the all 8 tv screen channel to watch some competitive* College football games.. And Once Myrtle Beach won (little Coastal Carolina)👀.. All I had left? Was 2 snow games :)..and the Columbus Crew..Ahh what the hell..

I flipped the Crew game(match/// whatever?) on in the (god knows when it ends period) Crew up 2-0 (nothing-nill-duese/whateve :Pr).. A beauty of a slot kick(cycle kick/:D ah-again whatever?) of the stone/rock/shuttlecock or maybe white ball w/a few zebra colors goes into the upper left corner of the (cage/gate/goalie net? GOAL!!!(yea that's it.. a perfect corner kick! opps! that's not it either 😎...Anywho? Way to go Peppie! (no clue his name but he scored 2 G_O_O_O-A-A-l-L's.... I Watched till finish & Dee Haslam only was announced as owner & accepted the Hardware...  JIMM'a could only stand & watch B)    Don't ask me! But that's what I saw on a 3 drink limit..

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

ok,ok.. So I woke up feeling a little dirty today 🤓.. So yesterday, I'm watching the all 8 tv screen channel to watch some competitive* College football games.. And Once Myrtle Beach won (little Coastal Carolina)👀.. All I had left? Was 2 snow games :)..and the Columbus Crew..Ahh what the hell..

I flipped the Crew game(match/// whatever?) on in the (god knows when it ends period) Crew up 2-0 (nothing-nill-duese/whateve :Pr).. A beauty of a slot kick(cycle kick/:D ah-again whatever?) of the stone/rock/shuttlecock or maybe white ball w/a few zebra colors goes into the upper left corner of the (cage/gate/goalie net? GOAL!!!(yea that's it.. a perfect corner kick! opps! that's not it either 😎...Anywho? Way to go Peppie! (no clue his name but he scored 2 G_O_O_O-A-A-l-L's.... I Watched till finish & Dee Haslam only was announced as owner & accepted the Hardware...  JIMM'a could only stand & watch B)    Don't ask me! But that's what I saw on a 3 drink limit..

I watch the entire game. The Crew were supposedly big underdogs, but didn't play like it. Some great goals in the game.  I did notice there's a big difference on how MLS gets played- a totally different animal as opposed to top level World Cup matches.  

The Crew are getting a shiny new stadium near Nationwide Arena downtown too.... 

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

I watch the entire game. The Crew were supposedly big underdogs, but didn't play like it. Some great goals in the game.  I did notice there's a big difference on how MLS gets played- a totally different animal as opposed to top level World Cup matches.  

The Crew are getting a shiny new stadium near Nationwide Arena downtown too.... 

Different? How so?    If they have eliminated the offside rule, then that would be a great improvement.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, The Gipper said:

Different? How so?    If they have eliminated the offside rule, then that would be a great improvement.

If you watch the English Premier League, it is more skillful and a faster pace then the MLS. But the MLS is getting closer 

1 minute ago, Browns149 said:

If you watch the English Premier League, it is more skillful and a faster pace then the MLS. But the MLS is getting closer 

I assumed he meant there was a big difference in the mode of play, not just skill and speed.   i.e. there were some rules differential. 

23 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I assumed he meant there was a big difference in the mode of play, not just skill and speed.   i.e. there were some rules differential. 

The rules are the same