THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm in the hospital for the 4th time in 2020.......this place is full !

mjp28

Hi everyone,

Well for the 4th time this year I'm in the hospital this one may be longer.  I'm supposed to have a surgical consult today on if they want to do a surgical clean out on my hip.  I'll let you know later.

I was in the hospital in April, June both UTIs at the beginning of COVID-19 and they wanted you IN/OUT ASAP.  I was in on November 9 for my hip but the 3 or 4 doctors changed and sent me home.  The hospitals were filling up.

Well it got worse and here we are today.  I'll tell you some neat and scary hospital stories later when I get my news.  There's not an empty bed on this floor, I hardly get to see my nurses. Some have already worked 5 days at 12 hours.

I am really exhausted already. Catch you later, mjp.

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Best of luck and don't get the COVID.

Thank you.  

On the hopeful side I've had asteomylitis (infection) of the hip for years. Go in clean out the bad stuff a month or so some bid time IV meds you're good to go.

Not so good we just did this last year and I was in the hospital/rehab for 25 weeks. I never expected it back this year.

-AND- covid-19 is running the show doctors don't want to admit anybody for anything.

This Mercy Health has 2 hospitals here one 8 floors this one 7 floors......and they're near if not completely FULL. Sounds like the 6 pm news. :-)

-SO- you deal with what's in front of you and March on! mjp.   

......oh,. These nurses here are running like crazy. I came in ER on Monday today is Thursday and I've hardly had time to talk with them. Many are on 4 or 5 days of 12 hour shifts.

Thank goodness ❤️ for nurses including the one I married (now retired).

On 12/3/2020 at 9:16 AM, mjp28 said:

-SO- you deal with what's in front of you and March on! mjp. 

You're the all-time Champ of Hospital stays mjp.🏆🥇👑

They need to give you pay for training the nursing staff with all that experience you have both in the hospital and home.

Or at least print you up some mjp Certificates of Training to award the ones you see up there.

Good luck and may your stay be as short as possible my man!👍

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You're the all-time Champ of Hospital stays mjp.🏆🥇👑

They need to give you pay for training the nursing staff with all that experience you have both in the hospital and home.

Or at least print you up some mjp Certificates of Training to award the ones you see up there.

Good luck and my your stay be as short as possible my man!👍

I had a YSU PT student today she graduates Spring 2021, I got to sit up in bed for the first time since last Saturday.

I was glad to exchange things with her on my medical history and what I have gone through.

Next are going to try a nerve block and we'll see how that works and maybe, hopefully avoid hip surgery again.

Also I'm going to get a PICC  line for a month or so of antibiotics of Vancomycin.

I will be going to a specialty hospital soon for that.  

Time for a nap !

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

I had a YSU PT student today she graduates Spring 2021, I got to sit up in bed for the first time since last Saturday.

I was glad to exchange things with her on my medical history and what I have gone through.

Next are going to try a nerve block and we'll see how that works and maybe, hopefully avoid hip surgery again.

Also I'm going to get a PICC  line for a month or so of antibiotics of Vancomycin.

I will be going to a specialty hospital soon for that.  

Time for a nap !

Giving you the heavy duty anti-biotic I see. You should ask them to include your favorite beer in a separate line to your mouth from a chilled keg on tap. 🍺😋

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Giving you the heavy duty anti-biotic I see. You should ask them to include your favorite beer in a separate line to your mouth from a chilled keg on tap. 🍺😋

I second your idea !!

Vancomycin is a heavy duty last resort antibiotic and is really hard on my veins...... probably like a good whiskey.   I'm all in favor of a good chilled beer with lunch and dinner.  Oh lunch is about noon and dinner is about 4:10 pm WAY too early for me.   Maybe 7:30 with a cold Sam Adam's Boston Lager or two oh yeah !!

Somehow I don't think that will fly with my doctors.    :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~. My morning update:

Saturday 7:50 am and I haven't had my computer on since Thursday nomally I'm on several times a day. I'm just getting things going later today. I will probably be in St E's until Monday before heading to Vibra Specialty Hospital. Nice place they are waiting for me......if they have a bed they only have 28 beds, they try to hold me one.       Then we go from there.      Should get a PICC Line put in today for my 1 month Vancomycin IV treatment and start rehab treatment.

Friday I sat up in bed for the first time in a week.....did very well but I've been through this before. Hey BROWNS fans are tough !!! Catch you later.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

I second your idea !!

Vancomycin is a heavy duty last resort antibiotic and is really hard on my veins...... probably like a good whiskey.   I'm all in favor of a good chilled beer with lunch and dinner.  Oh lunch is about noon and dinner is about 4:10 pm WAY too early for me.   Maybe 7:30 with a cold Sam Adam's Boston Lager or two oh yeah !!

Somehow I don't think that will fly with my doctors.    :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~. My morning update:

Saturday 7:50 am and I haven't had my computer on since Thursday nomally I'm on several times a day. I'm just getting things going later today. I will probably be in St E's until Monday before heading to Vibra Specialty Hospital. Nice place they are waiting for me......if they have a bed they only have 28 beds, they try to hold me one.       Then we go from there.      Should get a PICC Line put in today for my 1 month Vancomycin IV treatment and start rehab treatment.

Friday I sat up in bed for the first time in a week.....did very well but I've been through this before. Hey BROWNS fans are tough !!! Catch you later.

Me and DieHard got your back man. Just do what you've always done one small victory at a time and before you know it you will be up and around and ready to check out to home again. You would have been a great friend in the Corps Unit I was in at A&M which had some of the most severe hazing anywhere. Of the 60 freshmen who started, half quit after one semester and another 4th flunked out the 2nd semester. We have had lifelong friendships among the surviving 1/4, all of whom had that little bit of "you can't make me quit no matter what". You've got that in spades my man. I admire your guts in taking this head-on time after time after time.🏆

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Me and DieHard got your back man. Just do what you've always done one small victory at a time and before you know it you will be up and around and ready to check out to home again. You would have been a great friend in the Corps Unit I was in at A&M which had some of the most severe hazing anywhere. Of the 60 freshmen who started, half quit after one semester and another 4th flunked out the 2nd semester. We have had lifelong friendships among the surviving 1/4, all of whom had that little bit of "you can't make me quit no matter what". You've got that in spades my man. I admire your guts in taking this head-on time after time after time.🏆

Everytime I see Texas  A&M on television or see the colors on the field it reminds me of a business trip I had in 1980 or 1981 when my flights got screwed up in Pittsburgh and changed to PIT ---> DFW  and  DFW --> BRY(?).   Bryan Texas then guaranteed rental car to drive to Hearne, Texas.  Turned into one big mess.

In the DFW airport I and a T A&M plebe I met there did not have guaranteed flights to Bryan.  I left home at 6 am an watched the first half of the CLE/PIT game in PIT together we watched the second half of DAL/WAS game in DFW.   Shows you how long we both were up.  We got not guaranteed stand-by tickets -and- the last flight that night out of DFW.  I remember calling my wife dead tired and telling her either I get that flight or I was checking into the brand new Ramada hotel off in the distance.  The DFW was a brand new airport....the subway didn't have operators are there were still bugs in the system........what could go wrong ???

Sitting there at the bar we made an agreement if his buddys were there and my car wasn't they would take me to Hearne.  If his buddies were long gone and I had a car I'd take him to his dorm, he had to be there before 6 am or he was screwed !   He seemed like a nice young man, I bought him beers and bought us some nice sandwiches at the bar......he was a plebe I was on an expense account.   

Well hurrah we got the last two seats #17 and 18 !       It was a wing over prop 17 seat plane 18 if there was no co-pilot at 2 am going into a ferocious thunderstorm....... what could go wong ???   When you climbed up on the plane you had to hunch over until you sat down, and of course no stewardardes just "those bags".  We got the last two seats next to the pilot and where if you pulled the curtain you could look in......kind of neat actually.

As soon as we got up and out of Dallas we went through the worst thunderstorm I've EVER   been in an airplane.   After a few minutes I fell dead asleep until we hit Bryan. 

Landed in this dinky little airport rain just stopped place looked closed. His buddies were long gone.   We walked in the only unlocked door and went to the only lit counter the Hertz car rental.  The poor girl was sleeping on the counter.   I signed something girl slid me the keys and said these words I'll never forget "it's the red Ford" and bolted out.

Ok this should be easy, right?   Went out to the lot the door slammed locked behind up we looked over and they were ALL Red Fords !  Plan B immediately. I took off the trunk key gave it to him I kept the main key told him that the first one that pops open we take it !

Well I got it and we were gone.

I then got the best guided tour going on 3 am of the entire Texas A&M campus you could ever ask for.

My only mistake I didn't get that young man's name...... I would love to have it and talk with him now.

(NOTE:  I had to do the last five paragraphs real fast the IV team had walked in the door and they don't wait.  Nice that I got my PICC line put in.  :) )

• Like 1

Every time you go in most medical places like this hospital you get a covid-19 test.  I've been in the hospital 4 times this year and all negative tests for me.....yay!

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Every time you go in most medical places like this hospital you get a covid-19 test.  I've been in the hospital 4 times this year and all negative tests for me.....yay!

No, they don't.   I was just in the hospital a couple of days a couple of weeks ago, and I was not given a Covid test until  I asked for one.  And even there, they never did tell me the resuts.  No call, no letter, nothing.   I can only assume I was good to go...since they were not knocking down my door. 

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No, they don't.   I was just in the hospital a couple of days a couple of weeks ago, and I was not given a Covid test until  I asked for one.  And even there, they never did tell me the resuts.  No call, no letter, nothing.   I can only assume I was good to go...since they were not knocking down my door. 

I said most medical places and they do it to protect themselves as much as you.  What I don't know is/was what kind of tests and sometimes you have to ask.  My doctor told me about it plus one nurse also said that I was negative here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

So sorry. Praying for you. Hope you get well. As really glad you tested negative. Stay safe!

Thank you.

It is kind of scary now being in the hospital for something other than covid-19 in these days.  It makes you appreciate the doctors, nurses and staff all the more.  I have about a month to go yet on IVs.

When my brother was in ICU on deaths door with HF, COPD, AFIB and diabetes, I snuck him a a cheese whopper one day.  And some toll house cookies another.  That was over 3 years ago and he's still kicking at 70.  Although he doesn't follow the docs advise hardly at all except he quit smoking and drinking (almost).

Sunday night 6:40 pm - I'm starting my 4th week in the hospital I'm also watching the 6:30 evening news why they're saying about the covid-19 crisis is absolutely true !

I've been in hospitals the last 5 years and have never seen so many young nurses and other staff.  I've had students from year 1 to ready to graduate all taking shifts right out of orientation.  They then are immediately signed into work in the hospitals and nursing homes.

The vaccines are on the way but it's going to be bad for months yet. And still absolutely NO visitors.

I've got about 2 to 4 more weeks here then I don't know exactly what is next.  I really don't want to go to a rehab place because of the covid-19 and staffing problems.

It's really scary out there and I appreciate what all of these doctors and nurses are trying to do !

And some people don't believe this is all true or won't wear masks....... shame on them.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Sunday night 6:40 pm - I'm starting my 4th week in the hospital I'm also watching the 6:30 evening news why they're saying about the covid-19 crisis is absolutely true !

I've been in hospitals the last 5 years and have never seen so many young nurses and other staff.  I've had students from year 1 to ready to graduate all taking shifts right out of orientation.  They then are immediately signed into work in the hospitals and nursing homes.

The vaccines are on the way but it's going to be bad for months yet. And still absolutely NO visitors.

I've got about 2 to 4 more weeks here then I don't know exactly what is next.  I really don't want to go to a rehab place because of the covid-19 and staffing problems.

It's really scary out there and I appreciate what all of these doctors and nurses are trying to do !

And some people don't believe this is all true or won't wear masks....... shame on them.

peace my friend I talk to my wife about you all the time she also sends her love and prayers  we also are very blessed that she can work from home and i work alone 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

You should be in line for the vaccine like RIGHT NOW!   Aren't you? 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I have to see the distribution in our area, when available I'm 70 with a lot of pre-existing issues.  If I'm in a hospital that gets it it goes front line employees then over 75 then the other employees and the rest of us geezers.  I think.  It will take a few months to cover the hospitals and nursing homes, police, EMTS  on and on.  The average joes will be well into 2021.

I've been in the hospital over 20 times since 2015 and have seen some amazing things this year in my 4 visits.  I'll put up a few later.

It was hard just getting me admitted and on the PICC line for the 4-6 weeks of big time antibiotic treatment.  And Vancomycin is a last resort med.

Ever hear stories of someone getting a scratch and end up getting a leg amputated.......it can happen. Some nasty germs out there.

I'm trying for home PT so I don't have to go through that brutal rehab and another facility visit.  As seargent Hulka said " I'm getting too old for this shit".   Really !

Edited by mjp28

On 12/5/2020 at 3:18 PM, mjp28 said:

Everytime I see Texas  A&M on television or see the colors on the field it reminds me of a business trip I had in 1980 or 1981 when my flights got screwed up in Pittsburgh and changed to PIT ---> DFW  and  DFW --> BRY(?).   Bryan Texas then guaranteed rental car to drive to Hearne, Texas.  Turned into one big mess.

In the DFW airport I and a T A&M plebe I met there did not have guaranteed flights to Bryan.  I left home at 6 am an watched the first half of the CLE/PIT game in PIT together we watched the second half of DAL/WAS game in DFW.   Shows you how long we both were up.  We got not guaranteed stand-by tickets -and- the last flight that night out of DFW.  I remember calling my wife dead tired and telling her either I get that flight or I was checking into the brand new Ramada hotel off in the distance.  The DFW was a brand new airport....the subway didn't have operators are there were still bugs in the system........what could go wrong ???

Sitting there at the bar we made an agreement if his buddys were there and my car wasn't they would take me to Hearne.  If his buddies were long gone and I had a car I'd take him to his dorm, he had to be there before 6 am or he was screwed !   He seemed like a nice young man, I bought him beers and bought us some nice sandwiches at the bar......he was a plebe I was on an expense account.   

Well hurrah we got the last two seats #17 and 18 !       It was a wing over prop 17 seat plane 18 if there was no co-pilot at 2 am going into a ferocious thunderstorm....... what could go wong ???   When you climbed up on the plane you had to hunch over until you sat down, and of course no stewardardes just "those bags".  We got the last two seats next to the pilot and where if you pulled the curtain you could look in......kind of neat actually.

As soon as we got up and out of Dallas we went through the worst thunderstorm I've EVER   been in an airplane.   After a few minutes I fell dead asleep until we hit Bryan. 

Landed in this dinky little airport rain just stopped place looked closed. His buddies were long gone.   We walked in the only unlocked door and went to the only lit counter the Hertz car rental.  The poor girl was sleeping on the counter.   I signed something girl slid me the keys and said these words I'll never forget "it's the red Ford" and bolted out.

Ok this should be easy, right?   Went out to the lot the door slammed locked behind up we looked over and they were ALL Red Fords !  Plan B immediately. I took off the trunk key gave it to him I kept the main key told him that the first one that pops open we take it !

Well I got it and we were gone.

I then got the best guided tour going on 3 am of the entire Texas A&M campus you could ever ask for.

My only mistake I didn't get that young man's name...... I would love to have it and talk with him now.

(NOTE:  I had to do the last five paragraphs real fast the IV team had walked in the door and they don't wait.  Nice that I got my PICC line put in.  :) )

PRICELESS! Thanks for  sharing!!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/20/2020 at 11:17 PM, The Gipper said:

Wednesday December 23 am -  Oh Gip and the rest of you  just FYI I saw yesterday that the hospital I just left 2+ weeks ago Mercy Health St. E's I think the Youngstown hospital first I was in the Boardman location got their first shipment of the vaccine (not sure which one).  They said they will start ASAP and it would take a week or two just to get through the front line people ER, COVID-19 wing and others there.  No word on the rest of the thousands of workers yet and no patients yet.  No word yet on anything else.

A select few nursing homes/rehab are getting the few out now, we have a friend working at one......owned by a politically and socially connected local well off owner FWIW. Same thing they will do the staff first then over 75 residents and then see how many shots they have left.

Having the two vaccines will help get thousands and later millions of shots out there, it will still take awhile just to get through the hospitals, nursing homes, first responders, necessary workers and of course us geezers before hitting the general people.

Donald J. Trump does deserve some thanks for helping get this whole thing going before 2020 will be ending and 2021 gets here.  Still the USA will have millions of cases and hundreds of thousands of people will die from this highly contagious disease.  Wear your masks !

I'm trying to stay out of politics on this it's a medical emergency.

I did hear some of the staff talking in my room about the vaccines for our little 28 bed specialty hospital but I would volunteer to take a shot first if we got ours !

So there you go, what I know and have heard up to date.  Now our stimulus checks........  :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 11:17 PM, The Gipper said:

Well that was in December of last year here is what I learned this morning January 9  I am scheduled January 12 right after the front line workers as a compromised 70+ elderly person depending upon availability.  This is pretty much how this rollout is working as more shots are rolling out to hospitals, nursing homes, front line and essential workers, etc. are given their turn. They are well over 6M+ shots given as of yesterday.  For you under 65 regular folks it might be months yet

I will know more about it on Monday but this is what I emailed family and friends:

Hi everyone,

SATURDAY 8:15 am,. I just found out that I will be finishing my IV antibiotics on Monday 1/11 and am on the list to get my covid-19 shot Tuesday 1/12.

After that is still not final about how long I will be here for additional wound care treatment. Should know that and more next week.  mjp
  • Upvote 1

Well I sent this email out to friends and family this morning, I was all ready to get rid of this PICC line and IV tomorrow.......oh well.

Hi everyone,

Well as hospital dates and times can and do change occasionally I just found out today my last IV antibiotics date changed from 1/11 to 1/18.    :-0

AND they will make any additional step down care I may need after that later.  I am still scheduled for the covid-19 shot on Tuesday 1/12......good !

SO what's new with you all ?  Catch you later ! mjp

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Well I sent this email out to friends and family this morning, I was all ready to get rid of this PICC line and IV tomorrow.......oh well.

Hi everyone,

Well as hospital dates and times can and do change occasionally I just found out today my last IV antibiotics date changed from 1/11 to 1/18.    :-0

AND they will make any additional step down care I may need after that later.  I am still scheduled for the covid-19 shot on Tuesday 1/12......good !

SO what's new with you all ?  Catch you later ! mjp

The price of getting that shot is too high for my taste. Sorry you got delayed long enough to get it, but glad you are getting it.