THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 13: CLE @ TN... "there's thirteen hundred and fifty two Guitar pickers in Nashville"

Tour2ma

First, name that tune...

This is a biggun gents. A quality opponent coming off a big win of their own, in a road game with playoff implications. Welcome to December, 2020...

We all know their Offenses' core trio of Tannehill, Henry and Brown.

Here's a look at them all...

image.thumb.png.0bc857c321cac0cdba0b8fd44737c45f.png

"Nashville Cats"

great song.

If Garrett and Ward are back,  it would help greatly -

Garrett and Janovich will be back apparently.

Harrison still undergoing tests, doesn't look like he will be there...

and Ward may not make it back. Browns will have to be at their best to win next Sunday.

The Browns need a field stretcher at wr. That was OBJ.

Look for Steph and company to have a special game plan.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/11/browns-myles-garrett-on-track-to-be-cleared-from-covid-19-list-by-wednesday-denzel-ward-unlikely-for-titans-ronnie-harrison-having-more-tests.html

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Look for a very heavy dose of #22 right up the middle with multiple PA plays from Tannehill with an option to run (he was actually A&M's leading WR before conversion back to QB). This is not going to be pretty.

This could be a trap game for the TIT's

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Look for a very heavy dose of #22 right up the middle with multiple PA plays from Tannehill with an option to run (he was actually A&M's leading WR before conversion back to QB). This is not going to be pretty.

I had to check Tex. Considering the Browns swiss cheese run defense, the current single game record is 296 yards held by Adrian Peterson.  It could be  in serious jeopardy this coming Sunday.  :(

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I had to check Tex. Considering the Browns swiss cheese run defense, the current single game record is 296 yards held by Adrian Peterson.  It could be  in serious jeopardy this coming Sunday.  :(

I think the last time the Browns played the Tits in Tennessee was the game we went to there with Flugel.  We had the immortal Cody Kessler starting for us. 

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think the last time the Browns played the Tits in Tennessee was the game we went to there with Flugel.  We had the immortal Cody Kessler starting for us. 

Other than yet another road loss, it was a fun time. And a Jimmy  Haslam sighting at the Backers Tailgate.

I may have saved a ton of money this year not being able to work on my Bucket list stadium tour because of covid,  but missed out on  Dallas,  NY, and Jacksonville. :(

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Other than yet another road loss, it was a fun time. And a Jimmy  Haslam sighting at the Backers Tailgate.

I may have saved a ton of money this year not being able to work on my Bucket list stadium tour because of covid,  but missed out on  Dallas,  NY, and Jacksonville. :(

I had contemplated  Dallas and JAX as well.   Went another direction. 

Quessenberry stepped in at a tackle spot I believe and had a good game for them.  They ran right a lot too

Borders is playing in place of Adoree Jackson and there has been no drop off whatsoever.

They are strangely just like us...pound the rock and play action.  This is a Obi earn your next contract game and Sheldon earn your keep game.

Mayfield needs to be mistake free opposed to his last meeting against the Titans. 

But This could also be a Myles Garrett takeover game.  Let’s hope the Titans make the mistake and single him up on these tackles and we get a big turnover.

PSA to Joe Woods.  Bring pressure...the guys you have available now in back 7 can’t communicate, find zones or play man when they have to.  So you may as well hurry Tannehill and maybe expose his decision making. 

• Upvote 1

Harrison has a separated shoulder.    Nothing official but when I was watching it -feels pretty educated guess.   He won't be back.

AJ Brown or Jonnu Smith might have a huge game considering every horse we have will be hell-bent on stopping Henry.     Either turns into a shoot out and pray you have the ball last, or hopefully come down with some miracle turn-overs and keep the margin at 2 scores and the ball away from their terrific running game from taking over.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Quessenberry stepped in at a tackle spot I believe and had a good game for them.  They ran right a lot too

Borders is playing in place of Adoree Jackson and there has been no drop off whatsoever.

They are strangely just like us...pound the rock and play action.  This is a Obi earn your next contract game and Sheldon earn your keep game.

Mayfield needs to be mistake free opposed to his last meeting against the Titans. 

But This could also be a Myles Garrett takeover game.  Let’s hope the Titans make the mistake and single him up on these tackles and we get a big turnover.

PSA to Joe Woods.  Bring pressure...the guys you have available now in back 7 can’t communicate, find zones or play man when they have to.  So you may as well hurry Tannehill and maybe expose his decision making. 

Quessenberry spent three years fighting cancer before coming back to the NFL last year and coming off the practice squad this year as two LTs ahead of him went down. He played well and hopefully continues.

Borders is continuing to get better but he's no Adoree Jackson. We miss his speed but Jackson hasn't played this season due to an unknown knee injury right before the first game. Not sure if he appears for this game although he's not been on IR for three weeks now.

Myles Garrett vs Derrick Henry will be an interesting contest. Right now, I don't think Henry cares who he lines up against. And Henry isn't known for coughing up the football. Right now, Henry is playing HOF football.

Jeffrey Simmons on our D-line is fast becoming a guy you don't want pushing the pocket interior if you're Mayfield. They call him "Big Jeff" around here for a reason.

This is certainly not a trap game....the trap game was our loss to a 1-win Bengals squad. Despite a lot of people thinking the Browns are a suspect 8 win team, they are still an 8 win team. The Titans certainly don't think they are suspect.

We hope that Tannehill has Adam Humphries back as a slot receiver target after being out the last three games from a concussion. But the concussion was so nasty that nothing is assured there.

A.J. Brown is the best in the league on yards-after-catch but don't sleep on Corey Davis who is having a career year.

Tannehill is less effective when the pocket isn't clean but our O-line has played better in the last couple of weeks versus that three-losses-out-of-four games stretch.

This game will be won or lost in the trenches. Whichever OL is able to impose its will to the greatest degree wins.

The way to stop... or at least slow.... Henry is to bottle him up and not let him reach the 2nd level with a head of steam. He needs a hole to be where it is supposed to be. Stuff him early and often and get a lead, then we effectively take him out of the game. And that tees up our now bookend DEs...

Easier said than done? Absolutely... both Titan OGs are having good years so Ogun and Richardson are going to have to be at their best to disrupt and keep our LBs clean. But if we can shift the burden to Tannehill, then we have favorable matchups on the edges and Tannehill is affected by pressure. He needs to be because Brown and Davis scare me going against our 2ndary.

A little stat look-see...

Titan Offense ranks:

• 6th in scoring offense averaging 29.5 ppg.
  • 3rd in rushing averaging 158.2 ypg and T-5th in YPC (4.9)
  • 22nd in passing averaging 227.5 ypg and 7th in YPA (7.4).

Titan D...

• 20th in scoring D allowing 25.9 ppg.
  • 16th in rush D allowing 115.5 ypg and 4.3 ypc (16th best).
  • 28th in pass D allowing 268.5 ypg and 6.7 ypa (T-14th).

We can do this...

• Upvote 1

...and any one that unpacks his case will play twice as better as I will.

This is not one of my Must Win games on the schedule...but it'd be right purrty if we could win it!   (Tenn usually crushes us)

This is going to be a Tale of the Tape game for sure. We are all about to find out just how sturdy that shiny 8-3 number really is. I'm confident that Kevin will have a good game plan offensively and he'll have the team ready, but I'm a lot less confident that we can actually go toe-to-toe with the Titans for all 4 quarters.

If the Browns can contain Henry, make 2 huge plays on defense, run the ball well on offense, play turn over free football, and most importantly, Baker can't leave any points on the table with head scratching misses of easy scoring and 1st down passes, then we have a chance to show everyone what our 8-3 is really made out of... but if we get blown out somewhere in the 38 - 7 ballpark?

Well that would be quite the confidence beatdown with the Stoolers and COVID spreading v1.0 both lurking in the weeds. 

• Upvote 1

Obi will earn his next contract.. by totalling one assist on the game.  He'll finally do something positive for the 2020 team by pre-emptively signing his 2021 contract for less than the veteran minimum.

Ronnie Harrison appears to be made of tissue paper. Dolly Parton A hummingbird will bat its wings in the general direction of the Browns during warmup and he will injure his groin.  Also, the Cuyahoga will catch fire at the same time his injury is announced.  Thanks, Ronnie!

How could we possibly determine if Baker will be a better player without OBJ?  Certainly not by looking at his results while he doesn't have OBJ - those are facts, and we've never been interested in letting our opinions follow from the facts here on Browns Bullshit Blather!

This is the 47th game of Garrett's career. As the common phrase suggests, "47th time's the charm" - this will be the first game he plays all four quarters with equal intensity rather than selecting randomly one play out of every 4 to convince the OL across from him to attempt the "Ole block" 

Since the Ohio State game will be cancelled again with Covid, their LB corps will all be flown in and will provide an instantaneous athletic upgrade to our geriatric babysitters starters.  I wish this was a joke.

• Haha 2

OSU game hasn't been cancelled, that's just my natural 2020 cynicism kicking in.

Perhaps I'd do better than the Texans fill-in GM who released Kenny Stills for no compensation under 48h before Fuller was suspended for the remainder of the season {PED's}.  Not shockingly, I had Fuller on my team..

Really, Hodge??? REALLY!

Browns’ KhaDarel Hodge: ‘I don’t look at the Titans like a super team; they can get beat like anybody else’

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/11/browns-khadarel-hodge-i-dont-look-at-the-titans-like-a-super-team-they-can-get-beat-like-anybody-else.html

24 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Really, Hodge??? REALLY!

Browns’ KhaDarel Hodge: ‘I don’t look at the Titans like a super team; they can get beat like anybody else’

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/11/browns-khadarel-hodge-i-dont-look-at-the-titans-like-a-super-team-they-can-get-beat-like-anybody-else.html

Well they CAN be beat. They have lost 3 games. But I don’t know if you want to be giving the other team that kind of billboard material.

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well they CAN be beat. They have lost 3 games. But I don’t know if you want to be giving the other team that kind of billboard material.

"You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind............................................"😱

• Upvote 1

Nashville Cats

been picken since they's babies, get work before they're two.

We have to run the ball to keep them from running the ball.  If we didn't have chubb, henry would be a equal substitute.

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Really, Hodge??? REALLY!

Kids today...Instead try:

Just shut your mouth. Do your job. Point to the score board at the end of the game. Go back to having your face 7" away from your phone every waking minute. 

• Thanks 2

Goal is to come out of this one healthy.

This is a physical pound you into submission football team we will play Sunday...And while we have some nasty tough offensive lineman- We could have the softest defense in the NFL.  

We have a HUGE problem with Backers that can’t diagnose and fill  properly and this is a game where if that happens they just happen to have probably the best North/South runner in the league.   Tourma who I agree with .0001% (kidding said it very well above).  And not to offend or fire up any Titan fans on here but Henry is average going east and west and that’s where we need the spaces filled and we need him bouncing runs.  

Tia made a great point that the focus and four quarter exhaustion keeping up with the focus you need above then you may get hit with a good TE and this massive play action beast WR singled up on some of backups that will be out of the league before long.

This could be scary on that side of the ball.

My broken record game plan is play keep away.  Baker mistake free and executing throws that are given to him and then Oline playing man ball (7-8 min drives) the less we see of our defense the better.  This is our bread and butter until reinforcements come this offseason.

Again let’s come out of this healthy. 

• Upvote 1

This is a physical pound you into submission football team we will play Sunday...And while we have some nasty tough offensive lineman- We could have the softest defense in the NFL.  

Yep.  With perhaps the best RB in the game, our LB corps could be shredded like they were pulled pork.   Someone said that our key is ball control...keep the ball out of Henry's hands.   In my opinion Chubb is close to equal to Henry, and Hunt gives us the overall advantage.....and now, also, we have Jack Conklin and they don't.  

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

My broken record game plan is play keep away.  Baker mistake free and executing throws that are given to him and then Oline playing man ball (7-8 min drives) the less we see of our defense the better.  This is our bread and butter until reinforcements come this offseason.

Amen. Keep the ball control. But even if reinforcements come this offseason, this offense should seek pounding the rock and short-medium throws (with the occasional long throw) to keep long drives. That helps ANY defense and I don't see us having a great defense next year no matter how amazing our offseason is. 

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

Kids today...Instead try:

Just shut your mouth. Do your job. Point to the score board at the end of the game. Go back to having your face 7" away from your phone every waking minute. 

First, you missed a great opportunity to introduce Little Tommy Rush into this Music City opponent discussion (see below).

Second, am I mistaken in thinking this is our first instance of supplying billboard fodder to an opponent?

No PS reports as yet.

Injury-wise of course there is the news that Harrison is headed to IR and our newly signed Safety, Thompson, is "out" this week due to Covid protocol which requires newly signed players to isolate a week and then test negative before physically joining the team.