THE BROWNS BOARD

Nick Chubb

Barry

I have been watching the Browns since Jim Brown's last year, which was 1965. And I think I am ready to say that Nick Chubb is the best Browns running back I have seen since J.B. That includes HOFer Leroy Kelly, Greg Pruitt, and everyone else. For those of you that have seen all the great RBs on the Browns since J.B., either in person or on video, what are your thoughts? Right now only Leroy Kelly is the RB that would challenge Chubb, imo. But I think if I were picking a team I'd go with Chubb.  

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Barry said:

I have been watching the Browns since Jim Brown's last year, which was 1965. And I think I am ready to say that Nick Chubb is the best Browns running back I have seen since J.B. That includes HOFer Leroy Kelly, Greg Pruitt, and everyone else. For those of you that have seen all the great RBs on the Browns since J.B., either in person or on video, what are your thoughts? Right now only Leroy Kelly is the RB that would challenge Chubb, imo. But I think if I were picking a team I'd go with Chubb.  

I cheered the drafting of Jim Brown (WHEN we found out they drafted him later that night!).

I followed JB's career religiously & IMHO, Chubb IS the best RB since J.B. Both these guys had (have) similar assets.....power, elusiveness, speed, vision, & that ability to "change gears" in the middle of a run. The ONLY runner I enjoyed watching nearly as much was Gale Sayers, but he was a different type of runner.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I too watched Jim Brown...and I'll tell ya what, Chubb BLOCKS too!  

Did you see what he did on the last meaningful play of the game yesterday?  Once he got the first down yardage, he dove to the ground ending the play.  He could've advanced the ball further.  He could have padded his stats more.  But he chose  end the game.  No chance of getting blind sided and fumbling.  No chance of a player getting a blocking penalty as he was extending the play.  Nope.  Game Over!  We Win!.

IMO Nick Chubb is the best RB we've ever had.  

Time will tell the story.  And time can be cruel.  We shall see.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

I followed him at Georgia before that gruesome knee injury and afterward as Sony's backup. He had lost some of that cutting ability along with that 7th gear, but the vision and tough running never really faded. Nearing the end of that last year I could see it coming back and I had Sony and he as the top two in the draft. Sony was taken by NE near the end of the 1st and I went bananas with glee when we took Nick in the second, though I would never have taken Corbett over him. Now he has regained everything I ever saw in him before that injury at Georgia and I think we got one of the two or three best backs of the past 5 years (Oh, you know who I thought and still think was the best😁).

• Upvote 1

As much as I love Baker... Chubb is the MVP on this team right now... They better lock him up for the length of his forseeable career.. I never saw JB in real time... But I saw LeRoy Kelly.. He was the reason I became a Browns fan... Nick Chubb only solidifies this passion for me.... A Nick Chubb jersey is on the horizon...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I followed him at Georgia before that gruesome knee injury and afterward as Sony's backup. He had lost some of that cutting ability along with that 7th gear, but the vision and tough running never really faded. Nearing the end of that last year I could see it coming back...

Ditto excepting the 7th gear... he doesn't quite have that back, but he's a stronger runner now than he was. That 2017 UGA RB rotation was as good as any I can remember... and it was 3-deep with a Frosh, Swift (great name for a RB), getting touches to spell both Chubb and Michelle.

As for the OP... the only other RB names that occurred to me as belonging in the discussion is Jamal Lewis. We only had him for a couple seasons at the end of his very good career, but he led us in rushing twice with two 1000+ yd seasons. He was on his way to a third with us when injury ended his playing days. Folks forget how good he was.

Where Chubb ranks? Hard for me to say because of the vastly different offenses all the other contenders were part of in their eras. Chubb is easily the best ZBS runner we've seen as a Brown... and he doesn't suck in our power scheme either... but Kelly had one-cut skills as well with great acceleration and speed very much in the Sayers/Lenny Moore mold. Kelly was also a very good receiving back. What Kelly was not was a dominant RB.

Of course JB was JB... even if he did not block as Orion pointed out... and carried a football like a loaf of bread. Look in the dictionary under "dominant RB" and there he is. And his dominance translated to titles.

Lewis was dominant for nearly a decade and at least in his BLT days was key to a title run.

Chubb has been establishing his dominance for two and a half seasons. He has  a chance to be dominant as well for a long time. Titles? One can hope, but for now I'll take the return to relevance he is helping to power.

One honorable mention... Mike Pruitt... a/k/a the other Pruitt. Caught 63 passes twice in the midst of three consecutive 1000-yd seasons.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Ditto excepting the 7th gear... he doesn't quite have that back, but he's a stronger runner now than he was.

Tour: "Alexa - Nick Chubb does not have his 7th gear back!" 

Alexa: "I don't know about that!" 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I also seem to recall one of his TD runs against Oakland as coming in as the 2nd fastest run in the NFL that year.

10 minutes ago, Barry said:

I also seem to recall one of his TD runs against Oakland as coming in as the 2nd fastest run in the NFL that year.

Well there was also the now famous fly by 'em and don't score. I'd say we saw 7th gear there and then the 8th gear in the brain took over at the end.😁

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I've been watching since the early 80s, and hands down Chubb is the best RB I've ever seen wear the orange and brown. 

Exactly where I am. The best I've seen in my 53yrs. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

the 7th gear... he doesn't quite have that back

Well, I'd have like to have seen that 7th gear...because that 6th gear last year had him pulling away from the crowd on that 98 yard td run.

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I remember him arriving when Mayfield did at the Airport.  No one even paid attention to him.

That embarrassing 30 seconds on Hard Knocks stays with me still... I can only imagine the fuel it gives him. 

11 hours ago, Orion said:

I too watched Jim Brown...and I'll tell ya what, Chubb BLOCKS too!  

Did you see what he did on the last meaningful play of the game yesterday?  Once he got the first down yardage, he dove to the ground ending the play.  He could've advanced the ball further.  He could have padded his stats more.  But he chose  end the game.  No chance of getting blind sided and fumbling.  No chance of a player getting a blocking penalty as he was extending the play.  Nope.  Game Over!  We Win!.

IMO Nick Chubb is the best RB we've ever had.  

I thought I was the only one that noticed that.  Yet another selfless game ending decision.  On that last play Sunday every instinct probably told him to try and make the corner.. Instead he halts in his tracks and just falls forward and gets the 1/2 yard he needed to get the first down, keep the clock running and end the game for us.  Week before instead of padding his stats with another TD, he goes out of bounds and allows Baker to spike the game out and win.

I don't remember Jim Brown. I was an 80's Browns fan, so Kevin Mack, Byner, etc.. All of them are great backs, but Chubb is in a league of his own that goes beyond his running ability and his ability to make MEANINGFUL plays. There are a lot of backs that rack up yards or TD's. Like Barry Sanders. A back I loved. But lets be honest, for all his talent and yards and TD's, much of his statistics didn't mean anything in winning games..

Chubb is always humble. Never wanting to strut across the endzone like Hollywood(though i love the shit out of that). He calmly hands the ball to the refs as if to say "I'll be doing this a lot".  He has calm confidence. And I think it is infecting this entire team.. He is a special player.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

That embarrassing 30 seconds on Hard Knocks stays with me still... I can only imagine the fuel it gives him. 

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

And he very humbly never complained or even looked annoyed. This is one quality young man. This is a really excellent background done on him and the community that raised him so well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

That is the moment I started really liking him.

I liked how he didn't get offended or throw out a "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

He simply said he played for the Browns. I like that about him. It's why I bought his jersey and wear it every week. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That is the moment I started really liking him.

I liked how he didn't get offended or throw out a "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

He simply said he played for the Browns. I like that about him. It's why I bought his jersey and wear it every week. 

im sure die hard hates his story

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Tour: "Alexa, what was Chubb's Combine time?"

Alexa: "4.52 seconds."

Tour: "Thanks. What was his 10-yd split?"

Alexa: "1.62 seconds."

While fast, Chubbs' secret is not "7th gear" top end speed... it's his acceleration.

Of course I guess he could be running faster in pads... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Tour: "Alexa, what was Chubb's Combine time?"

Alexa: "4.52 seconds."

Tour: "Thanks. What was his 10-yd split?"

Alexa: "1.62 seconds."

While fast, Chubbs' secret is not "7th gear" top end speed... it's his acceleration.

Of course I guess he could be running faster in pads... :rolleyes:

But how many little plastic thingies was he able to swipe from a static position? 🤣

Cup of Joe  Thomas...  Nick Chubb   https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/cup-of-joe-nick-chubb-s-handle-of-wide-zone-scheme-makes-him-a-home-run-threat-o

wSy_f4t3?format=jpg&name=small         Who needs a King Henry? 👑    🤫

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Cup of Joe  Thomas...  Nick Chubb   https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/cup-of-joe-nick-chubb-s-handle-of-wide-zone-scheme-makes-him-a-home-run-threat-o

wSy_f4t3?format=jpg&name=small         Who needs a King Henry? 👑    🤫

The amazing thing is no other RB is averaging over 6 ypc and no one else has a duo that are both in the top 30 total running yds, let alone the top 9 like Chubb & Hunt. And together they lead the league.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/stat/rushing

• Like 1

Not sure many have noticed... I barely have... but Stef is starting to have both on the field at the same time.

Hunt had a key block on the sweep left that was in the second twitter clip Vambo posted yesterday... the clip where Njoku "pancaked" a Jag 5 yards OB.

54 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not sure many have noticed... I barely have... but Stef is starting to have both on the field at the same time.

Hunt had a key block on the sweep left that was in the second twitter clip Vambo posted yesterday... the clip where Njoku "pancaked" a Jag 5 yards OB.

Hunt is so good with his hands that it is not a surprise. And they both are very good blockers in pass protect.