THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Black Friday

The Gipper

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Oh, yea.  The Big Ten wanted that NY market.   And the same for Maryland joining....getting the DC/Baltimore market. Getting large markets is the thing.   I guess if they want to expand more they should get Boston College to join, and maybe Connecticut then they would have that large market as well, more so than Louisville.

I wonder how much of the Pittsburgh market they have.  While there is Pitt in the ACC....Penn St. is pretty big in Pittsburgh as well.  Fair to say.

And, they obviously have  the Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Twin Cities , Indianapolis markets as well.  And Cincinnati too. 

Sure, but that doesn't do anything for rivalry.  Plus, I am not sure the NY market is all that big on any one team.  On a recent trip to NYC my wife and I spotted a Irish Pub and decided to eat there for lunch.  It was a Auburn bar.  We didn't know that going in, but we knew it once we walked in the door.  My point is it is a city of 7 million people who root for 200 different teams.  The Big Ten could bring in Columbia if academic standing is as important as Dutch thinks, but it wouldn't do much for TV ratings.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Sure, but that doesn't do anything for rivalry.  Plus, I am not sure the NY market is all that big on any one team.  On a recent trip to NYC my wife and I spotted a Irish Pub and decided to eat there for lunch.  It was a Auburn bar.  We didn't know that going in, but we knew it once we walked in the door.  My point is it is a city of 7 million people who root for 200 different teams.  The Big Ten could bring in Columbia if academic standing is as important as Dutch thinks, but it wouldn't do much for TV ratings.

Well, yea, I wasn't even thinking about rivalries in my above comments....just about  $$$.   And I hear what you say about NYC.   The team that more people there follow more than anyone is probably  Notre Dame...the whole Subway alumni.   Still, having the most local FBS team there in that market in your conference must help.  I can only assume the Big Ten has data on how Rutgers could  help them in that market.....to the point that they decided to bring them into the fold. 

8 hours ago, ballpeen said:

The Big Ten could bring in Columbia if academic standing is as important as Dutch thinks, but it wouldn't do much for TV ratings

I'm sorry your idea of having West Virginia enter the Big Ten was already considered years ago, and the Big Ten dismissed it because of WVU's academic record. 

On 11/28/2020 at 9:22 AM, The Gipper said:

Interesting that we have so many divergent opinions on the best college rivalry  (behind OSU/Mich).  So far we have:

Alabama/Auburn

Notre Dame/USC

Texas/Oklahoma

Army/Navy

Any more out there:

And Russ(Balpeen) ....what is up with the Florida trilogy rivalries?  Have they diminished somewhat?   (who is Florida's biggest rival?  FSU or Georgia?....I don't think they ever play Miami, do they?

oregon/ oregon state one of the longest which the Beavers won on friday fuck the ducks

3 minutes ago, ATOM said:

oregon/ oregon state one of the longest which the Beavers won on friday fuck the ducks

A nice little local rivalry.   Not a major one on the national state.   It is superseded even in the Pac 12 by USC/UCLA,  Stanford/Cal.   Probably on a par with  Wash/Wash. St.   or Ariz./Ariz. State. 

Just now, The Gipper said:

A nice little local rivalry.   Not a major one on the national state.   It is superseded even in the Pac 12 by USC/UCLA,  Stanford/Cal.   Probably on a par with  Wash/Wash. St.   or Ariz./Ariz. State. 

and those are fun games to watch

have you watched any pac 12 games ? god the officials in that league suck

Just now, The Gipper said:

Yea, usually wide open games.  But I don't know, is the officiating there any worse than in the NFL? 

YES it is fucking horrid even after a official makes a statement about a play they have to re huddle and reverse what he said fuckers should not even be allowed to do a pee wee game 

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm sorry your idea of having West Virginia enter the Big Ten was already considered years ago, and the Big Ten dismissed it because of WVU's academic record. 

I understand and now that you mention it I do recall your info on WV.

It's very noble the Big Ten strives to maintain some standards for it's members. Many years ago at some crappy time slot on Saturday afternoons there was a television program called "It's Academic".  Different college teams were pitted against each other in a "Jeopardy" type format.

It's no longer on the air because people didn't watch because they were more interested in watching good college football games.

I thought that was what this thread was about...building strong rivalries in a conference. 

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

It's very noble the Big Ten strives to maintain some standards for it's members. Many years ago at some crappy time slot on Saturday afternoons there was a television program called "It's Academic".  Different college teams were pitted against each other in a "Jeopardy" type format.

It's no longer on the air because people didn't watch because they were more interested in watching good college football games.

I thought that was what this thread was about...building strong rivalries in a conference. 

Well, I think that OSU/WVa.  could be a decent rivalry that should be played on occasion.....in or out of conference.    But hell, correct me if I am wrong,   WVa's  biggest rivalry was always Pitt, wasn't it?   Billed as the "Backyard Brawl".   And they don't play that any more, do they?  

And there is that Texas/Texas A&M rivalry that they don't play any more.  Our regular here wants to put the demise of that on the back of Texas.....but I am not sure about that.   Seems that since TAMU  joined the SEC they didn't want to take on another tough customer out of conference.  

And the rivalry that I think has truly demised that is regrettable is:    Nebraska/Oklahoma. 

But, let me ask the real tough question:    Is it any coincidence that since they have gotten very strict on steroid use that the Nebraska program has gone downhill? 

2. Will both Chubb and Hunt carry for 100 yards each on Sunday v. Jags?  Can both of them get to 1000 yards for the season?

By the way:   Chubb 19 carries for 144,   Hunt   10 for  62.

For the season:

Chubb 719 yards

Hunt  706.  

With 5 games remaining, its possible they may both make 1000.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

2. Will both Chubb and Hunt carry for 100 yards each on Sunday v. Jags?  Can both of them get to 1000 yards for the season?

By the way:   Chubb 19 carries for 144,   Hunt   10 for  62.

For the season:

Chubb 719 yards

Hunt  706.  

With 5 games remaining, its possible they may both make 1000.  

You are right on the 1000 for each we are going to need to run the ball in all of these contest left.

And they can feast against the Jets and Giants too 

11 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Also there's this to consider:

West Virginia isn't that good at college football either. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Also there's this to consider:

West Virginia isn't that good at college football either. 

I remember the year that it was  going to be   Ohio State vs. undefeated  WVa. in the  BCS title game......but WVa. choked in their final game, opening it up for Florida to make it....who then proceeded to rock OSU.    Would have like to have seen that title game matchup. 

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I remember the year that it was  going to be   Ohio State vs. undefeated  WVa. in the  BCS title game......but WVa. choked in their final game, opening it up for Florida to make it....who then proceeded to rock OSU.    Would have like to have seen that title game matchup. 

Not me.  That was a great evening as it was.  

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Not me.  That was a great evening as it was.  

Admit it though....you all backdoored your way in.  Florida had other chances, and successes.  That is the only time in my lifetime that WVa. came close to being able to play for the National title.