THE BROWNS BOARD

My new video

Just an historical note, not to rain on your parade:   Jesse James was actually a despicable, murderous person.  He had been part of the Quantrill Raiders during the Civil War, and that group went around massacreing civilians who supported the Union.  His outlawery was simply an extension of that. And he certainly was no Robin Hood as he and his gang never shared any of their stolen loot with the poor, or anyone.  

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Just an historical note, not to rain on your parade:   Jesse James was actually a despicable, murderous person.  He had been part of the Quantrill Raiders during the Civil War, and that group went around massacreing civilians who supported the Union.  His outlawery was simply an extension of that. And he certainly was no Robin Hood as he and his gang never shared any of their stolen loot with the poor, or anyone.  

Not one and 12 DA.

WSS

I liked it. Country isn’t really my thing, but it’s a really hooky number with a particularly catchy chorus. I do have a soft spot for pedal steel guitar too. All the ingredients are there for a hit.

For the sake of constructive criticism l’d say the subtitles were unnecessary and l thought took away from the artsier elements of the video.

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I liked it. Country isn’t really my thing, but it’s a really hooky number with a particularly catchy chorus. I do have a soft spot for pedal steel guitar too. All the ingredients are there for a hit.

For the sake of constructive criticism l’d say the subtitles were unnecessary and l thought took away from the artsier elements of the video.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I think you may be right. I did kind of want to emphasize the outlaw vs savior allegory. I'm glad my enunciation was good enough. 🤭

WSS

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this Steve and I liked it a lot. I liked the empty streets of the western town within the video too. Did you know that in the remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges that Granger, Texas was remade into the old west by only adding a few facades, adding old style signs to existing buildings and covering the streets with dirt and a few hitching posts? Cohen Brothers did it up right. 

Anyway back to the music. I really loved it Steve. Hope you post from more of that genre. Growing up I always loved Marty Robbins' El Paso, Streets of Laredo, Big Iron, Cool Water, Devil Woman, Ballad of the Alamo, etc.

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just saw this Steve and I liked it a lot. I liked the empty streets of the western town within the video too. Did you know that in the remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges that Granger, Texas was remade into the old west by only adding a few facades, adding old style signs to existing buildings and covering the streets with dirt and a few hitching posts? Cohen Brothers did it up right. 

Anyway back to the music. I really loved it Steve. Hope you post from more of that genre. Growing up I always loved Marty Robbins' El Paso, Streets of Laredo, Big Iron, Cool Water, Devil Woman, Ballad of the Alamo, etc.

Thank you tex. I appreciate it. I didn't know that particular factoid how about the setting the new True Grit but I know it's amazing what scrims and facades can do in the hands of a good cinematographer.

The songs on this particular record are all over the place style-wise. I actually wrote the bones to that one almost 40 years ago I just updated it with that Jesse Jesus allegory. I'll be making more has the winner goes on. Thanks again.

WSS

PS in my opinion the Coen brothers sit at the right hand of Stanley Kubrick.

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Thank you tex. I appreciate it. I didn't know that particular factoid how about the setting the new True Grit but I know it's amazing what scrims and facades can do in the hands of a good cinematographer.

One of my neighbors a few blocks away is retired Hollywood cinematographer whom I see every time I ride my bicycle through since he's always out working on his yard. He worked on a couple of films you will know, The Hunt For Red October and The American President. As an assistant on the first one there is a scene where they are using those big black rubber rafts to offload sailors and they filming is from the water level. You will see the raft coming towards the camera and then it cuts away. Reason is that he had a 40 lb. battery pack to run it on behind the main photographer and they got wiped out by the boat. He started going down under with that backpack on in about 20 ft. of water and was barely saved from drowning by someone grabbing him by the pack. The camera was flung onto the raft by the cameraman who grabbed the side of the boat himself. Both were pulled into the raft by the other actors with him sputtering up water.

In fact I found this very fascinating you tube on the making of Red October and sent it to my friend to point out that there he was around the 18:00 mark on working with the main cinematographer as his assistant. Even a behind them shot briefly as they walked a scene through a sub in that same sequence from that mark on. He'd never seen this documentary before. After we both get the COVID vaccine I'm invited over to see a lot of his photographs taken while he worked on various movies in a 40 year career. I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1