THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns vs. Jaguars Data Points

The Gipper

Well, here is another way to assess a players career:  look at the Career Averages on PFR

Browns MLBs with top CAs:

Charlie Hall  62      

Mike Johnson   56

Vince Costello  53

DQwell Jackson  51

Dick Ambrose 47

Eddie Johnson 43

Dale Lindsay   40

Walt Michaels played too early to have a proper Career Average score, as that particular stat really goes back to like 1960

So, OK, these are good, but by no means great scores and these were good but by no means great players.   And I will repeat my claim that we have never really had that  stud  MLB ...HOF potential. 

Compare these to a couple of outstanding  OLBs in the Browns history:

Jim Houston....Career Average    89    and still has not had a sniff of HOF recognition

Clay Matthews  125 CA    and while he is getting sniffs, he has not made HOF.  

(Note:  Chip Banks  had a Career Average with the Browns of 55.   so he would fall in the good, not great category  IMO).  

19 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Mike Johnson and Vince Costello made my all-time roster in 2019. Many others received recognition. A pretty good group overall.

I would absolutely agree that  Johnson and Costello would fit where you have them.  They are the best that we have had there. 

I am only saying that the Browns have never had an MLB of the likes of Butkus/Lambert/Nitschke/Lewis/Urlacher/Huff/Lanier/Schmidt/Singletary/Seau and others. 

By the way....now turn Mack Speedie to Gold....selected to HOF. 

I have this gap in my memory that I don't understand:    Charlie Hall.   By the records, he played for the Browns in the 70s, and I certainly followed them closely in the 70s........but for the life of me I cannot remember him.   I remember like  Bob Matheson and Bob Babich and such similar players, but I cannot recall him, yet, by the numbers he seems to be one of the best MLBs we have had. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I have this gap in my memory that I don't understand:    Charlie Hall.   By the records, he played for the Browns in the 70s, and I certainly followed them closely in the 70s........but for the life of me I cannot remember him.   I remember like  Bob Matheson and Bob Babich and such similar players, but I cannot recall him. 

He was a good, consistent outside linebacker. Long rime starter.

Z

...some data points.   The numbers say we're better, but we'll be playing with a defense consisting of mostly 2nd & 3rd stringers.  

Rush / G Pass / G Run D / G Pass D / G
Browns 157 197 105 248
Jaguars 97 248 129 282