THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns vs. Jaguars Data Points

The Gipper

In doing the research for this, I am finding that the Jags and Browns have almost  -0-  historical connections:

1. Jaguars do lead all time series   12 wins to 5.

2. The Browns and Jags have Never shared  a Head coach, a leading passer/runner/receiver/draft pick...have never met in the playoffs or anything.   Of the listed top 100 players in Jags history, only one that I could tell had spent time with the Browns:  Receiver Keenan McCardell.  

3. One way the Jags had/have affected the Browns is that when the Jags and Panthers joined the league, they had almost immediate success, go to and winning playoff games.   The NFL did NOT want that same thing to occur with the new "expansion" teams that were subsequently admitted to the league.   Particularly the "Expansion" Browns.   They did just about everything they could to disallow the quick success the Jags had from happening with the Browns....giving us massive disadvantages in terms of players made available, etc. 

4. When the Jags joined the league, they had an original  logo that featured a charging Jaguar.   However, Ford Motor Co., owner of the Jaguar automobile objected to it because of its similarity to that auto co.'s logo.    They threatened to sue, but a deal was brokered wherein that was avoided.  Part of the deal was to make the Jaguar the official car of the Jacksonville Jaguars.  But they still dropped that original logo.

5. However, Ironically......the Jaguars mascot  is name  Jaxon de Ville.     Essentially using a name belonging to the rival Cadillac auto company.

6. TIAA Stadium....the current stupid corporate name of the Jags stadium,  is actually the old Gator Bowl  renovated.

And that is it.   Like I said.....nothing much going on between these two teams.....except a game Sunday. 

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

In doing the research for this, I am finding that the Jags and Browns have almost  -0-  historical connections:

2. The Browns and Jags have Never shared  a Head coach, a leading passer/runner/receiver/draft pick...have never met in the playoffs or anything.   Of the listed top 100 players in Jags history, only one that I could tell had spent time with the Browns:  Receiver Keenan McCardell.  

3. One way the Jags had/have affected the Browns is that when the Jags and Panthers joined the league, they had almost immediate success, go to and winning playoff games.   The NFL did NOT want that same thing to occur with the new "expansion" teams that were subsequently admitted to the league.   Particularly the "Expansion" Browns.   They did just about everything they could to disallow the quick success the Jags had from happening with the Browns....giving us massive disadvantages in terms of players made available, etc. 

4. When the Jags joined the league, they had an original  logo that featured a charging Jaguar.   However, Ford Motor Co., owner of the Jaguar automobile objected to it because of its similarity to that auto co.'s logo.    They threatened to sue, but a deal was brokered wherein that was avoided.  Part of the deal was to make the Jaguar the official car of the Jacksonville Jaguars.  But they still dropped that original logo.

5. However, Ironically......the Jaguars mascot  is name  Jaxon de Ville.     Essentially using a name belonging to the rival Cadillac auto company.

6. TIAA Stadium....the current stupid corporate name of the Jags stadium,  is actually the old Gator Bowl  renovated.

And that is it.   Like I said.....nothing much going on between these two teams.....except a game Sunday. 

Bottlegate!

I threw bottles!

Z

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

And you forgot Joe Schobert.... Who was a Brown last season... had 13 tackles yesterday incidently... Is their Lber

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

And you forgot Joe Schobert.... Who was a Brown last season... had 13 tackles yesterday incidently... Is their Lber

Well.....since he has only played 10 games with them,  he is not yet on their list of Top players in franchise history.  But, eventually, maybe. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Well.....since he has only played 10 games with them,  he is not yet on their list of Top players in franchise history.  But, eventually, maybe. 

Concur!

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Seems like we never beat this team and we NEVER seem to play well down there. Time for that to change! 

As long as Paul McQuistan's not starting at RG... I like our chances.

As for Schobert in JAX... he ain't no Paul Posluszny.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

As for Schobert in JAX... he ain't no Paul Posluszny.

I still miss him....as does our defense. We'd be really different on D with him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Seems like we never beat this team and we NEVER seem to play well down there. Time for that to change! 

Yes, I have sat in that stadium in Jacksonville and been disappointed many times.

Remember, Jacksonville was in the AFC Central from 1995-2001.

I think the Browns will be locked in this week, though ... But you always have to watch out for the wounded animal.

Zombo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Yes, I have sat in that stadium in Jacksonville and been disappointed many times.

Remember, Jacksonville was in the AFC Central from 1995-2001.

I think the Browns will be locked in this week, though ... But you always have to watch out for the wounded animal.

Zombo

I was there for the last game before leaving for Baltimore. We lost on a terrible pass interference call at the last second. Lol. It was poetic. 

However, I was ALSO there for the Quincy Morgan Hail Mary! That shit was one of the best sporting experiences in my life. Punches were thrown, smack was talked, cops were involved, and we ran down the ramps of the stadium like we won the championship. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hx214 said:

When the hell did that happen?

I saw it on the sports report on channel 8 news out of Cleveland this morning.

They had a graphic up on the screen about it, but unfortunately my boss was on the phone at that time (TV was muted).

B36127DC-2892-42A9-8602-F75B99BDB2EB.png

11 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I saw it on the sports report on channel 8 news out of Cleveland this morning.

They had a graphic up on the screen about it, but unfortunately my boss was on the phone at that time (TV was muted).

Ward does not want to lose the race to see which highly drafted CB is out the most games this year, himself or Greedy.😱

...was listening to The Fan during the day at work.  For a long time it sounded like Ward's injury was quite serious.  I think his tweet this morning was a prayer of some sort.   Fortunate to hear that he'll be back.  It took Teller multiple weeks to come back from his calf injury.  

We're going to suffer mightily without Ward & Myles.  Hopefully we can slip out of florida with a win Sunday, Tenn I had as a loss on my schedule but I was hoping that we could be at full strength for the Ravens game...I'd be surprised if Ward is back by then.

On 11/24/2020 at 5:21 AM, jiggins7919 said:

I still miss him....as does our defense. We'd be really different on D with him. 

Prepare for a shock... I disagree.

He was never a tone-setting type MLB. I mean can you recall a single hit he made that prompted you to say, "Whoa"? I can't...

Would we be better? Yes... but not demonstrably different.

But rest easy... he might be back down the road as his (IMO) oversized contract is back-loaded going from a very friendly $5.4mm this season to $9.9 next to $13.6 in 2014 with the bulk of the back-end non-guaranteed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

He was never a tone-setting type MLB. I mean can you recall a single hit he made that prompted you to say, "Whoa"? I can't..

I kind of agree with you there. Joe was never a Ray Lewis or Kuechly guy (God I wanted him so badly), but he was a guy who made plays, ya know? Interceptions, fumble recoveries, sacks, or whatever. He was around the ball ALWAYS, and he could cover. That being said, Schobert hasn't really played all that well this season I don't think (I could be wrong). 

In end, it's a good thing we didn't sign him because of the covid budget crunch next year, so we're still in good shape. We've got to extend Ward, Teller, Chubb, and probably others. 

The thing is, the Browns, in their entire history have not really ever had that major stud at  MLB.  In checking, I see that Mike Johnson  went to two Pro Bowls and is about the best that we have had in my recollection.  Eddie Johnson is an MLB that we have fond memories of. .   And Pepper Johnson went to one.  Johnson, Johnson, and Johnson.    Schobert did make the PB in 2017.  Walt Michaels went to a number of PBs in the 50s,  but he alternated from the middle to the outside...and that was before my time so I never really saw him play to know if he really was that stud.  

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The thing is, the Browns, in their entire history have not really ever had that major stud at  MLB.

Dick Ambrose was about as good as we've ever had. I mean the guy's nickname was "Bam Bam"...

And of course there was Vince Costello in the middle back in our heyday. Held down the spot for a decade. Met Vince at the '64 teams Hiram reunion.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

No they tried that. It didn’t work 

Not exactly... he played some LOLB his rookie year in Horton's 3-4. Played heavier and looked slow. Kirksey filled one of the ILB slots.

The next year it was the trimmed-down Joe that moved into the middle of Williams' 4-3. Kirk moved outside. I think Williams knew what he was doing, but Joe likely would have done well outside.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:46 PM, Zombo said:

Bottlegate!

I threw bottles!

Z

Thatta boy!    Just a few days later, somebody posted a picture of Stan (Atenears) in the wind-up throwing a bottle while he was already nervous about a potential court case with Merletti.  I hit the deck LMAO and he told me "it's not funny Flugel that Merletti is a bad dude."  I said you just tell that Stadium Five-O Chief nobody fux with your curve ball. 

I miss that guy!  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Dick Ambrose was about as good as we've ever had. I mean the guy's nickname was "Bam Bam"...

And of course there was Vince Costello in the middle back in our heyday. Held down the spot for a decade. Met Vince at the '64 teams Hiram reunion.

They were pretty good, but certainly not HOF caliber. In fact, in checking neither of them actually ever made a Pro Bowl.  Mike Johnson and Walt Michaels are the only Browns MLBs that I see making more than one. 

Not exactly... he played some LOLB his rookie year in Horton's 3-4. Played heavier and looked slow. Kirksey filled one of the ILB slots.

The next year it was the trimmed-down Joe that moved into the middle of Williams' 4-3. Kirk moved outside. I think Williams knew what he was doing, but Joe likely would have done well outside.

That was what I was thinking of....the fact that he played on the outside his rookie year...and they felt the need to put him inside. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:
  1. They were pretty good, but certainly not HOF caliber. In fact, in checking neither of them actually ever made a Pro Bowl.  Mike Johnson and Walt Michaels are the only Browns MLBs that I see making more than one.
  2. That was what I was thinking of....the fact that he played on the outside his rookie year...and they felt the need to put him inside. 
  1. Vince and Dick were both pretty good for a long time and impacted the games when they played. HOF is a ridiculous criteria and Pro Bowl isn't much better as it only means that a couple of others were better at their positions in a given year.
  2. Again, no... different Defensive schemes... different skill sets. There's no basis for saying Joe would or would not be good on the outside in a 4-3. Only thing that can be said is that Williams believed Joe's contributions would be greater inside.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. Vince and Dick were both pretty good for a long time and impacted the games when they played. HOF is a ridiculous criteria and Pro Bowl isn't much better as it only means that a couple of others were better at their positions in a given year.
  2. So?  To you making Pro Bowls and making the HOF are inconsequential when judging a player's career?  Does the rest of the planet know about this? 
  4. Again, no... different Defensive schemes... different skill sets. There's no basis for saying Joe would or would not be good on the outside in a 4-3. Only thing that can be said is that Williams believed Joe's contributions would be greater inside.
  5. Well, the basis is they tried him outside and apparently didn't like what they saw, so they put him inside and did like it.  What scheme and where is Jacksonville playing him? 

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Back to Ignore you go...

Same old Gipper... clueless when it comes to football.

The Clueless  Coward of Cass County returns I see.   Hall of Fame recognition and Pro Bowl recognition  are ridiculous ways to assess a player's career. That is what this clown is saying.  Does he read what he writes? 

And the fact is...the people who are experts and in charge of things felt that Schobert would be better off inside. 

So, Tour thinks he is smarter than all the players/coaches/GMs/sports writers in the NFL who look at player's careers and decide who were best at their jobs,  and who are responsible for the deployment of the players in their employ.