THE BROWNS BOARD

The "It's-later-than-you-think" 2021 Mock Draft Thread

Tour2ma

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Questions:

If the Jets have the #1 overall pick....do they take a QB, even though they have Darnold  (as, to be fair, Darnold is NOT the reason they suck so badly)....or do they pick another position....or trade down to get multiple picks.....to get as much needed talent as they can?      Or, do they take the QB and trade Darnold, and what could they get for him? 

And which QB do they take if they do take one?   I assume it would be Trevor Lawrence....but would he pull an Elway or an Eli and say: no way am I going to the Jets?

I think they are in the same spot we were last year with a major OL need. You can't be a good QB while running for your life 1 sec into every play. If they trade down look for OL concentration if they do not pick any up in FA.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Questions:

If the Jets have the #1 overall pick....do they take a QB, even though they have Darnold  (as, to be fair, Darnold is NOT the reason they suck so badly)....or do they pick another position....or trade down to get multiple picks.....to get as much needed talent as they can?      Or, do they take the QB and trade Darnold, and what could they get for him? 

And which QB do they take if they do take one?   I assume it would be Trevor Lawrence....but would he pull an Elway or an Eli and say: no way am I going to the Jets? 

I’d trade Darnold and take Lawrence or Fields.  
They just drafted a LT that is performing well.  If you are in top 5 of the draft- Franchise QB, Hall of Fame Left Tackle or Elite Offensive weapon or elite defensive end pass rusher. 
Lawrence slightly over Fields now- not by much. 

Agree... and think Jets will take Lawrence. His greater experience gives him the edge.

Also agree about UL's Bekton. He has exceeded my projections at LT... but I am still glad they took him and started Wills "slide" to us.

The Jets have a pick later in the first... likely in the mid-20s... and 1st pick in round 2. IOL class looks to lack elite, Rnd-1 quality, but has solid Rnd 2 value. And there are really promising OT values throughout Days 1 and 2... some of which could slide inside as well. In short they have the picks to fix their OL after going QB.

26 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... and think Jets will take Lawrence. His greater experience gives him the edge.

Also agree about UL's Bekton. He has exceeded my projections at LT... but I am still glad they took him and started Wills "slide" to us.

The Jets have a pick later in the first... likely in the mid-20s... and 1st pick in round 2. IOL class looks to lack elite, Rnd-1 quality, but has solid Rnd 2 value. And there are really promising OT values throughout Days 1 and 2... some of which could slide inside as well. In short they have the picks to fix their OL after going QB.

They need some offensive firepower too.  Berrios, Crowder, Mims, Lev Bell - not cutting it. 

17 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

They need some offensive firepower too.  Berrios, Crowder, Mims, Lev Bell - not cutting it. 

Crowder actually plays well but has been plagued by injury so far. Again part of it is QB not having time to get it to him.

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

I like Desmond Ridder if we are looking towards the middle end of the draft.

Bigger, athletic and moves in the pocket well and has a pretty good arm. 

which team does he hail from

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Bell certainly isn't cutting it for them, as he is not on their team anymore

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yes, but will Lawrence take the Jets.   Like I said,  I still think he could just say  "No thank you"  to the Jets organization....and maybe even stay in school another year rather than go there.   Or do something to quash their interest in him. 

Though, I guess they could sell him on being the "next Joe Namath"...and get him a pair of sunglasses and a full length white  (faux) fur coat.

Joe Namath, 70, wears fur coat with his championship ring at the Super Bowl  | Daily Mail Online

Warmed up the mock machine again. This time went the full 7 rounds, but we don't have a lot of late round picks. I added a couple via modest trade downs.

Note we are now picking 24th based on our current record. In my OP effort we were picking 17th.

image.png.699e34d037e0719a7367b964b9327396.pngimage.png.a8b3abbc878da2364986f4ae579171e6.png

• Farley is just there every time. Helps that he's too good to pass up. (Note: Kwitty is now gone well before we pick).
  • Went with a trio of LBs... both Surratt and McGrone are welcome repeats. New addition is UVA's Snowden... he's a bit of a freak at 6'6, 240#, but has coverage skills. Can play DE in a NASCAR now, and if/when adds weight grow into a full-time DE.
  • Pair of Safeties in Wiggins and Deablo. Both have injury history, but can play. Wiggins looks more FS-ish, but Delpit can play in the box. Deablo (great name) is pure SS and a banger.
  • FSU's Wilson would be a frickin' steal at 118.
  • Topped this off with a nod to the O with a good WR in Brown (6'1, 185#, 4.4-ish) and a burner RB in Pooka (5'10, 170#, 4.24 40!). Brown posted this line at UVA in early November: 11 for 240 and 3 TDs.

My takes in the first draft sim: 5 Rounds

24. Trever Moehrig S TCU
58. Chazz Surratt    LB  NC
87. Darius Stills  DT   WV
94. Joe Tryon Edge Wash
101. Andre Cisco S Syr
119. Shaka Toney Edge PSU
152. Kary Vincent,Jr. CB LSU (gotta have one LSU guy every year-a steal at 152)
Plus Denver's 4th in 2022 in a trade down to Surratt.

Cisco was a steal at 101 if you look at drafttek who had him #29 overall right along with Moehrig at #28.

11 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Glad you understand they are void of weapons 

Obviously. Just stating he is no longer on their team because he was cut and is currently on the Chiefs

Went back to FanSpeak again using DraftTek's ranking with confirmation of other sources which often had my picks ranked much higher. Obviously it's early for the ranking folks, too, plus they are dealing with cancelled games and even players who have opted out of the season.

image.png.962e0c2934ba37f778766a1135820809.png

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Went back to FanSpeak again using DraftTek's ranking with confirmation of other sources which often had my picks ranked much higher. Obviously it's early for the ranking folks, too, plus they are dealing with cancelled games and even players who have opted out of the season.

image.png.962e0c2934ba37f778766a1135820809.png

Parsons at 24, Stills at 166 and Moehrig at 126? That board is whacked out looney to say the least.😱

• 2 weeks later...

so, tonight, Tulsa plays Cincinnati for the championship. I'm watching for Zaven Collins to stand out...

I'm really looking to draft him in the first round for the Browns...and my mock draft...talked about him a good bit earlier...

he won the AAC defensive player of the year award. A first round pick must be a difference maker.

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/tu/tu-football-tus-zaven-collins-is-unanimous-pick-for-aac-defensive-player-of-the-year/article_bcb319ea-3eec-11eb-b404-133c0c857f56.html

TU football: TU's Zaven Collins is unanimous pick for AAC defensive player of the year award 

• Upvote 1

Going to get a jump on Caleb Farley today because I'm seeing more and more projections to the Browns.  I'm lying in bed enjoying my coffee and dialed up his cuts v ND 2019.    I'm hoping there is some massive improvement over the course of last season into this year.   Either that or he has/had a hip or groin injury.

Zaven Collins will be on deck.

27 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I've said it during the Indiana game, and I'll say it now. 

Some GM is going to take Justin Fields very high in the upcoming draft, and that GM is going to get fired because of it. 

You do know that he was operating with a strained thumb yesterday, right?  By all rights he perhaps should not have been in the game.....at least not throwing the ball. 

If the Jets take  Trevor, the Jags WILL take him, I am pretty sure. 

36 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You do know that he was operating with a strained thumb yesterday, right?  By all rights he perhaps should not have been in the game.....at least not throwing the ball. 

If the Jets take  Trevor, the Jags WILL take him, I am pretty sure. 

Seriously, do you even watch Ohio State games?

One, Fields looked like garbage before the thumb injury. He's made some of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen this season, I mean Brandon Weeden wildly tossing the ball underhand to no one in particular bad decisions. 

Fields in a pro-style offense is going to be interesting. 

28 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Seriously, do you even watch Ohio State games?

One, Fields looked like garbage before the thumb injury. He's made some of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen this season, I mean Brandon Weeden wildly tossing the ball underhand to no one in particular bad decisions. 

Fields in a pro-style offense is going to be interesting. 

Yes, I do.  And he looks quite on par with some of the top QBs coming out, particularly the new "mobile" breed.     All I can say is that you must want absolute perfection....which no QB nowhere is going to give you.  

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, I do.  And he looks quite on par with some of the top QBs coming out, particularly the new "mobile" breed.     All I can say is that you must want absolute perfection....which no QB nowhere is going to give you.  

He's going to struggle in a pro-style offense - and he's not Lamar Jackson explosive running the ball. 

And Ohio State is going their doors blown off vs Clemson. It's going to get ugly. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

He's going to struggle in a pro-style offense - and he's not Lamar Jackson explosive running the ball. 

And Ohio State is going their doors blown off vs Clemson. It's going to get ugly. 

Seriously, do you watch Ohio State games?     You know, they did play just last year,  and it took a last minute TD by Clemson to win.  

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Seriously, do you watch Ohio State games?     You know, they did play just last year,  and it took a last minute TD by Clemson to win.  

With a team that included half dozen future NFL picks not currently featured on the 2020 football squad.    Clemson is head and shoulders above the Buckeyes right now barring a miracle turnaround during bowl prep.

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

They'll be lucky to keep it within 14 points this year. 

If Trey Sermon plays as a man possessed, they have a shot to keep it respectable and possibly pull it off.  

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

If the BUCKEYES +6.5 are at full strength and get the run/pass game going they have a good chance to cover and win.

Now ND +17.5 might get slaughtered lucky to cover.

Final ALA vs anybody.

• Upvote 1

OSU has had ZERO flow to this season.  6 games. Week on...week off.  They may not compete well because of that.  

BUT

OSU has every bit of talent that Clemson has...

Fields.  No comment.

Day 1 or 2 next season Garrett Wilson, day 2 guy Chris Olave,  two years away but on track...Njigba, Fleming.

Their entire Oline will be drafted when they graduate.  Wyatt Davis could be a first day pick.  Myers is probably a day 2 pick. 

Trey Sermon early day 3.  

Jeremy Ruckert. TE day 3.

Haskell Garrett is making a big move up draft boards. Tommy togiai another mover. The DEs talented all have another year of eligibility.

P. Werner is getting love as coverage backer. Baron Browning LB early day 3 guy.

Shaun Wade.  No comment. 

There are more...the season and interruptions and changes with defensive staff have taken a bit of toll on the Bucks...but position for position this one of the most talented rosters in the country.