THE BROWNS BOARD

The "It's-later-than-you-think" 2021 Mock Draft Thread

Tour2ma

Well, if Cox lasts til the third round I will be worse than shocked. Great teams have speed on both sides of the ball.

A player who can run and cover Tyreek Hill, and hit like a ton of bricks would be great.

Like Owusu-Kamomoah. I would love to have picked him first in my stupid mock draft, but

I figured he'd be gone.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/05/browns-mock-draft-owusu-koramoah-projection/

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

A player who can run and cover Tyreek Hill, and hit like a ton of bricks would be great.

Only one comes to mind... https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/10/nfl-jalen-ramsey-vs-tyreek-hill-matchup-all-22-jaguars-chiefs  fun game to go back & watch... Cox can run..But please...He's not at T.Hill speed.

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Only one comes to mind... https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/10/nfl-jalen-ramsey-vs-tyreek-hill-matchup-all-22-jaguars-chiefs  fun game to go back & watch... Cox can run..But please...He's not at T.Hill speed.

of course that's true, I didn't mean to imply he was. I would take Owusu by far, ......he is very fast. As much as I am a big Zaven Collins fan, I wouldn't trade up to get him - but I would trade up to get Owusu.

"Projected 40 yard dash: 4.40 seconds Owusu-Koramoah is an extremely intelligent and explosive defender that plays all over the field. He has every bit of versatility that Isaiah Simmons has, even though he’s less physically imposing."

9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

"Projected 40 yard dash: 4.40 seconds Owusu-Koramoah is an extremely intelligent and explosive defender that plays all over the field. He has every bit of versatility that Isaiah Simmons has, even though he’s less physically imposing."

Sure he can run..JOK is a classic tweener just as I.Simmons was coming out of Clemson..JOK's is 6'2, but he's only 216 lbs soaking wet.. Making him a undersized NFL rover..Same spot as Simmons came in & mostly sat in his rookie year.. Started in 7 games & ST/with a backup role(no off season dumped Simmons straight into the deep end of pool. Freak 6'4 238 with 4.39 40 speed).. JOK is the Dick Butkus award winner..But Butkus had to think? Where's the beef"  Jaylin Smith/ Devin White LB beef..

I've been spending most my LB viewing choices looking at guys like Chazz Surratt//Jabril Cox//Barron Browning & Justin Hillard from OSU... My hope is a falling edge rusher falls to us in the 1st..What I'm not seeing? Is a Top 3 WR speed blazer falling to us in rd.1.. But a Corner/ Box Safety or LB may happen.. I could see Berry using the extra 3rd or 4th to get up higher in the 2nd..Top 25 looks fairly solid there too..  pro-day times & drills will surely shake some things up.. JOK ranks 2nd, only behind Parsons in most LB rankings..

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been messing with the mocks a little and there have been some interesting shifts in where players are going.

Of note to us is that Parsons has fallen some... as in all the way to #26 in a couple sims.

Fields is another dropper... although more accurately BYU's Zack Wilson has been pushing him down.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Been messing with the mocks a little and there have been some interesting shifts in where players are going.

Of note to us is that Parsons has fallen some... as in all the way to #26 in a couple sims.

Fields is another dropper... although more accurately BYU's Zack Wilson has been pushing him down.

It is more accurate to say that  Wilson has been rising.  

Kollmann on JOK is important to understand JOK's stats this past season.. JOK played slot corner on the field/open side aka Rover because ND went base4-3 against 3WR seriously 50% of the time - because he could shut down slot WR's including Clemson's Rodgers; the only time he was lined up like a traditional LB is when the formation was trips to the other side [and the other OLB flexed out] or some such. JOK is.. ridiculous, and won't be on the board when we pick.

• 1 month later...

I think I just did my last mock as can't see how I can improve upon it. Everything fell into place...

image.png.cef5c51ad1215fb510465927adb520e8.png

• 26. Kwity... we all know Kwity by now... fastest, hand-in-the-dirt, 3-down Edge in the class... and MG's new, best friend.
  • 59. Mayfield... instant, quality, OL depth for every position except Center and our eventual starting RT.
  • 89. Sermon... I think the kid will be a star... great Chubb insurance.
  • 91. Mond... my 2021 Darkhorse QB... eventual Baker backup with trade value down the road.
  • 110. McNeill... His ProDay was an eye opener... true, 3-down IDL potential.
  • 132. Hufanga... hard-hitting, Safety depth our ST Coach will love.
  • 169. Vincent, Jr... gotta keep @tia happy...
  • 211. Philyor... my "waterbug"

One note... DraftNet's sim has "lost" our 7th Round pick, #257, so I had one to go, but I'll take this 8 and be happy... :D

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think I just did my last mock as can't see how I can improve upon it. Everything fell into place...

• 26. Kwity... we all know Kwity by now... fastest, hand-in-the-dirt, 3-down Edge in the class... and MG's new, best friend.
  • 59. Mayfield... instant, quality, OL depth for every position except Center and our eventual starting RT.
  • 91. Mond... my 2021 Darkhorse QB... eventual Baker backup with trade value down the road.

One note... DraftNet's sim has "lost" our 7th Round pick, #257, so I had one to go, but I'll take this 8 and be happy... :D

Re your back up QB..........just read this from Cosell

Mond has a couple things that clearly need to be worked on and can be fixed. No. 1, he holds the ball way too high. He holds the ball right under his chin, and you can’t do anything athletically with your hands that high.

If you recall, that’s the whole Jeff Tedford thing. When Aaron Rodgers came out of Cal, that’s where he held his hands and that got changed the second he got to the NFL. Because what that does is that results in upper-body stiffness and a tight throwing motion. And Mond has a very robotic and mechanical feel to the way in which plays. Because it all starts in his ball carriage, and it’s way too high for him. It’s right under his chin.

I did think Kellen Mond improved. I looked at his 2019 tape and his 2020 tape. And I thought that in 2020, he had much better command of his throws and that his ball placement was consistently more precise than it was in 2019. We’ll see about what he can do when that ball carriage is lower, because I think he was a strong short-to-intermediate thrower who did turn it loose, but I thought that because of the ball carriage that his deeper throws lost energy. Because he wasn’t a loose thrower. He was so stiff and mechanical. So maybe he’ll be able to drive the ball a little more and be less mechanical.

To me, he’s got the look and feel of a schemed quarterback who needs the pass game structure to work for him in defining things. But that’s what Kyle Shanahan is. He defines it for you.

I came away watching Mond’s tape saying to myself, “Can there be a legitimate comparison made to Dak Prescott given the traits profile?” Now, keep in mind Prescott was a fourth-round pick and Prescott’s a little bit bigger and a has a stronger deep arm, but I think there could be some similarities.

17 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Remember that time I was all like "Man, Poona Ford is legit"...  ?

Seeing a similar player watching McNeil v UNC and Va Tech.

edit: Trey reminds me of Demarco Murray, by the way.

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Mond has a couple things that clearly need to be worked on and can be fixed. No. 1, he holds the ball way too high. He holds the ball right under his chin, and you can’t do anything athletically with your hands that high.

Could not disagree with the above more...

Holding the ball high is key to Mond's quick release and I see no price being paid "athletically".

Agree with the Dak comp except that Mond is about at Dak's Jr.-year level. Dak benefitted from QBing the same system for all four years at MSU, while as a Frosh Mond suffered through the wreckage that was Sumlin's last season before Jimbo Fisher bought a house in College Station.

51 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Remember that time I was all like "Man, Poona Ford is legit"...  ?

Now that you mention it... yup.

On Sermon... while I can see Murray, the comp I keep seeing is Corey Dillon.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing with gum's sim find... this time wheelin' n dealin'.

Trading is "easy" with the "trade meter" evaluating your offers. All trades are user initiated, but if you try to trade with a team who is not interested the meter sits there empty.

image.png.57fd08b60c2c7f5ff48fdcd77cc5ffc2.png

And the results...

image.png.4b0d7ab3c1b01ea673b188ad2916fff1.png

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Trading is "easy" with the "trade meter" evaluating your offers. All trades are user initiated, but if you try to trade with a team who is not interested the meter sits there empty.

#95 - you sure like that dark horse QB don't ya.😂

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

#95 - you sure like that dark horse QB don't ya.😂

In our mock draft I selected him at  #74  for the  WTFs.    There is a team in need of a future QB, and  unless they do a trade up from  #19  I don't see them getting any of the top  5:  Trevor, Fields, Jones, Wilson,  and the ND St. guy.   I could actually see him going to them at #51.

Fair to say? 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

In our mock draft I selected him at  #74  for the  WTFs.    There is a team in need of a future QB, and  unless they do a trade up from  #19  I don't see them getting any of the top  5:  Trevor, Fields, Jones, Wilson,  and the ND St. guy.   I could actually see him going to them at #51.

Fair to say? 

Very possible .

I’m on the Davis Mills QB Stanford bandwagon.  

Maybe he gets to our 4th round pick.  He would be a great understudy (redshirt year next season) I think he would mesh well with Stefanski’s offense and take over the 2nd QB spot in 2022 and we can cut Keenum and save the dough where it is needed elsewhere.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’m on the Davis Mills QB Stanford bandwagon.  

Maybe he gets to our 4th round pick.  He would be a great understudy (redshirt year next season) I think he would mesh well with Stefanski’s offense and take over the 2nd QB spot in 2022 and we can cut Keenum and save the dough where it is needed elsewhere.

On ESPN today,  they were saying that the Steelers could take him with the #24 pick.   Or that the TB Bucs could get him at #32  to sit behind Brady for a while. So, don't be surprised if  he is long gone before the 4th round. 

On ESPN today,  they were saying that the Steelers could take him with the #24 pick.   Or that the TB Bucs could get him at #32  to sit behind Brady for a while. So, don't be surprised if  he is long gone before the 4th round. 

Yeah I hear he is climbing.  Rightfully so he’s a solid prospect.  

Very limited experience I think he only has 13 career starts at Stanford.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 9:22 PM, Tour2ma said:

image.png.57fd08b60c2c7f5ff48fdcd77cc5ffc2.png

And the results...

image.png.4b0d7ab3c1b01ea673b188ad2916fff1.png

There’s just not enough room on the roster for all these is there?

On 12/30/2020 at 5:09 PM, tiamat63 said:

Exactly.  So I guess my point ends up coming back around on itself.

I don't believe Lock is their "long term" answer at this point.  And outside of center, Denver's oline is pretty good.   However I think it would be stupid for them to end up taking the 3rd or 4th QB in this draft (possibly Fields) 

Yo... @The Gipper

• Haha 1