THE BROWNS BOARD

**** Official Texans at Browns GAMEDAY Thread

Zombo

the storm hit n ohio crazy. It sounded like a giant was throwing handfuls of gravel against the front door, and I looked outside, and the rain and hail was going sideways so fast, all I saw was grey speeding blur. Unbelievable. And up at the lake, I knew they'd have to run the football well to win. And Chubb going out of bounds? That has to inspire that entire team. Both Hunt and Chubb had over a hundred yards? Nice to get Hooper back, and Teller and Chubb. Great timing !

btw, I saw where Hubbard was the covid watch player..

Wasn’t crazy about the throws outside of the hashes.  We had a fade route - 3rd and 5 first half. Another one during second half same play but we got bailed out by a questionable PI on Higgins. Not enough Hooper and Bryant - controlled passing attack -working the middle of the field. 

9 hours ago, D Bone said:

My favorite Browns win of 2020.... not even close.

Great defense. Great running. Average - but turnover free QB play... and one of the smartest, most unselfish single plays from one of my favorite Browns players.

Hell yea team, that was awesome.  

My initial thought on that Chubb run YES! YES! Easy score- but then- one of the few times not scoring worked out better... Don't even give Watson a chance- even though we're up by 2 scores with less than a minute left.... 

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Oh I got all those kids Xmas presents of erector sets, chem sets, tinker toys, Lincoln logs, etc. and had zero interest in it all. When I scored 1/2 of 1% on mechanical interest on one of those preference tests in HS, my Dad was shaking his head in wonder, but my quick wit said, "Yeah but Dad, that's about 1/4 of 1% better than my mechanical ability." Got him on that one because he could not disagree.😁🤗

LOL- speaking of chemistry sets back in the day- by today's standards, too hazardous.  Back then- pretty innocuous. However- running a demo class for 8th grade kids the teacher gave me carte blanche to order up any chemicals I had a mind (and I had a pretty active mind)  to procure for my basement lab. I missed my calling to work for Thiokol to formulate rocket fuel.  If then was now, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten a visit from Homeland Security for the stuff I had on hand. 

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

DeAndre Hopkins just caught a Hail Mary over three defenders to win the game for Arizona over Buffalo.

https://twitter.com/nfl/status/1328132728940765185?s=21&fbclid=IwAR3otX6SLIeeBAKv8CDOCdKVjaR-umIgFgXqH_rcpCMar9YenZogXJ7opeM

Yup- saw the replay- and Bills fans have to be pretty ill about that miracle....  

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

My initial thought on that Chubb run YES! YES! Easy score- but then- one of the few times not scoring worked out better... Don't even give Watson a chance- even though we're up by 2 scores with less than a minute left.... 

LOL, same. Even our beloved Browns would have had trouble messing up a 9 or 10 point lead with 50 seconds and no timeouts. But hey, let's not find out!! 😂

This was an important win because we got to do the Raiders game again. That loss really bothered our team and it should. We got a second chance, and we nailed it down. 

This was another game that our offense closed out. We didn't even need to see our defense again, and that's what winning teams can do. They have an offense that drains the clock and doesn't give the opposition a chance. It's a beautiful thing. I mean, we had some HUGE runs today guys, runs where they KNEW we were running it, and we picked up some gigantic first downs. Our OL was terrific, minus one mess up by Teller. He got beat one on one and gave up a sack, and it really hurt because Baker had two people wide open. Alas,nobody is perfect! 

So much more to write, so much more to celebrate. Yes the score looks really close, but we were the better team. If the final score is 17-7, it probably feels a bit different, but the fact is Chubb knew we didn't need it. What a great win. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yup- saw the replay- and Bills fans have to be pretty ill about that miracle....  

I guarantee that some FFL owners of Chubb were going NO NO NO!!!!  while other owners of Hopkins were going YES YES YES!!😂

The guy closest to my lead last night had Tucker and when they could not get a FG at the end of the first half I was yelling YES YES YES!

Now I have to have Dalvin Cook kept below about 5 DTs tonight or 4 with tons of yardage Ru/Re. Gives me the $40 win.🤑

14 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Chubb knew we didn't need it. What a great win. 

I thought it was funny that he said is was good that it was such a long run because he had more time to think about it and not score. Also funny that he said his mistake was not just taking a knee on the one so the clock would keep running. Either way what an unselfish player this guy is. On the D it is also fun to see our "Star" celebrating sacks by his teammates that he knows he often sets up. He's over there clapping for them like their best cheerleader.

My takeaways

defense has played well the last 2 weeks (I think bad weather has something to do with it) but they have looked slightly more watchable and consistent. 

Baker did his job yesterday, don’t turn it over, hit your guys in the short medium passing game. He missed some throws but he did ok. 

nick Chubb is the best player on the team. Wyatt Teller is very good.  Re sign him and Teller ASAP. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

nick Chubb is the best player on the team. Wyatt Teller is very good.  Re sign him and Teller ASAP. 

I just looked up Teller’s contract. He’s signed through 2021, but sure looks like a keeper to me and a bargain the way he’s playing right now. 

Not a bad idea to try to extend him now, but l’m sure the team doesn’t want to get into a situation where they have big money tied up in the guard position like we had with Bito and Zeitler. Now might be the time to spring for a hefty but affordable raise. 

Year Team Base Salary
2018 Bills $480,000
2019 Browns $570,000
2020 Browns $750,000
2021 Browns $920,000

Solid bounce back from Raiders game. Baker did get lucky on a play that was batted down by D-Line , it had pick 6 written all over. He made a huge 3rd a long throw to Higgins to balance out late in the game. Running game was strong, as expected. Defense is playing smart under Joe Woods. Harrison looks like a great acquisition .

We finally seem healthy at 6-3. Philly coming to Cleveland next week. LETS GO!

• Like 1

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but a big shout out needs to happen for Cody Parky. That FG was obviously huge and it was by no means a gimme. Same weather next week, let's do it again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but a big shout out needs to happen for Cody Parky. That FG was obviously huge and it was by no means a gimme. Same weather next week, let's do it again. 

Here, here...

Kinda liking Parky 2.0 with his bionic leg...

• Like 1

Btw, can someone tell me what the hell happened on that 3rd and 1 bad snap at the beginning of the game? Jesus, that almost cost us the game. You gotta figure getting a TD there puts unbelievable pressure on them, and if we don't the first, you figure we'll go for it. I've literally never seen an under center snap roll 15 yards. What happened? 

2 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Btw, can someone tell me what the hell happened on that 3rd and 1 bad snap at the beginning of the game? Jesus, that almost cost us the game. You gotta figure getting a TD there puts unbelievable pressure on them, and if we don't the first, you figure we'll go for it. I've literally never seen an under center snap roll 15 yards. What happened? 

I still think Baker wasn't behind Tretter when it was snapped... But I've never seen a close up of the play. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I still think Baker wasn't behind Tretter when it was snapped... But I've never seen a close up of the play

You may be right. It's almost inexplicable and then we had the grounding penalty as a result (which was bullshit btw). It's tough to complain because we've been SO good in the red zone, but that just can't happen. We had them completely on their heels. 

You guys notice what teams are doing on defense? They're almost ALWAYS firing a DE or LB off the edge in case we bootleg. The defender isn't even LOOKING at the RB, he's simply honing in on the QB. It's really screwing up our bread and butter passing plays, but it's also leaving them open to gashing cutback runs, including the Chubb TD. It's very cool knowing we have a coach who adjusts and doesn't try to bang his head against a wall. He calls different plays, and his RBs read the cutback lane. Beautiful thing. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

You may be right. It's almost inexplicable and then we had the grounding penalty as a result (which was bullshit btw). It's tough to complain because we've been SO good in the red zone, but that just can't happen. We had them completely on their heels. 

You guys notice what teams are doing on defense? They're almost ALWAYS firing a DE or LB off the edge in case we bootleg. The defender isn't even LOOKING at the RB, he's simply honing in on the QB. It's really screwing up our bread and butter passing plays, but it's also leaving them open to gashing cutback runs, including the Chubb TD. It's very cool knowing we have a coach who adjusts and doesn't try to bang his head against a wall. He calls different plays, and his RBs read the cutback lane. Beautiful thing. 

It makes me wonder, though, what is going to be left of the passing game when it eventually is needed again. 

I already feel that this coaching staff has the passing game on training wheels for Baker as it is, now this? Could be interesting. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Wet ball... slipped out of Tret's hand as soon as he began the snap.

43 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

And it went between Baker's legs?  

Unless I missed it, I don't recall them ever showing a good replay of it. 

You missed it. They showed a ground level replay from behind and to the right of Baker. It was the start of the play that ended up with Baker running to his left and getting the intentional grounding penalty.

I don't remember it going between Baker's legs, but I did not record the game (1st time this season... recorded The Masters... way to go DJ!) and google can't find a clip of it.

On the fumbled snap during the opening series and coming out of the game with no turnovers:
"It is a tough one because the ball was wet and (C) JC (Tretter) told me to give him a second. We are trying to snap the ball quick, break the huddle quick and get up there lined up and snap it. He told me to give him a second. I thought it did, but with the circumstances, I did not give him long enough so I will take the blame on that one. I thought I got the ball out of bounds. They claimed that there was nobody in the area and then changed their minds and said it did not get past line of scrimmage. I do not know. That is a tough one for us."

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/baker-mayfield-kudos-to-everybody-just-accomplishing-what-we-needed-to-do-whatev

So, I wasn't happy seeing this. I've said many times this year, Baker can't effectively pass to the RBs in the middle of the field. Think about it, virtually every pass to Hunt is horizontal in nature. He misses him EVERY SINGLE TIME he flashes over the middle of the field and I don't how it gets fixed. We got bailed out by a bad PI call here, but it should have been a 3 yard pass that went for 25. 

20201117_211259.jpg

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Wet ball... slipped out of Tret's hand as soon as he began the snap.

Ugh...at least we got the FG. 3rd and 1....inside the 10....ughhhhhhh. 

On 11/16/2020 at 12:50 PM, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Solid bounce back from Raiders game. Baker did get lucky on a play that was batted down by D-Line , it had pick 6 written all over. He made a huge 3rd a long throw to Higgins to balance out late in the game. Running game was strong, as expected. Defense is playing smart under Joe Woods. Harrison looks like a great acquisition .

We finally seem healthy at 6-3. Philly coming to Cleveland next week. LETS GO!

Lucky?  How about  Watson tossing  up that moon ball. 9 out of 10 times it's  an interception. 

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

So, I wasn't happy seeing this. I've said many times this year, Baker can't effectively pass to the RBs in the middle of the field. Think about it, virtually every pass to Hunt is horizontal in nature. He misses him EVERY SINGLE TIME he flashes over the middle of the field and I don't how it gets fixed. We got bailed out by a bad PI call here, but it should have been a 3 yard pass that went for 25.

Sorry, but I don't see the problem.

Higgins is about to beat his man on the out route. image.png.573275656407034b445315fe5d20f889.png No way that an inside-facing CB can turn in time to make a play. That's what Baker is looking at. As for Hunt...

Draw a line from Baker's head to Hunt who is just clearing the line and you'll run right thru JJ's helmet... in other words can't see him which is fine because Higgins should be the target here.

One other thought... looks like JJ ran a stunt with an inside defender (on the ground with Teller over him) and Conklin is doing his best to try to hold Watt... but looks like a blitzing DB is right on JJ's tail. If this was intended, then that's one strange looking play design by HOU's DC. In any case I suspect the DB was Hunt's to pick up, but instead he released. If Baker is expecting him to block, he's not going to look for him.

It may be that Baker missed the hot read and should have expected Hunt to release... but with HOU rushing it 6, that 6th man is Hunt's.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Draw a line from Baker's head to Hunt who is just clearing the line and you'll run right thru JJ's helmet... in other words can't see him which is fine because Higgins should be the target here

Ehhh...I'm not with you on this one. It was obvious pressure was coming. Baker read that part well, but by this point in his career I'd like him to understand that his extraordinarily talented RB was going to be UNCOVERED. Not "open due to a defender's hips facing somewhere", but totally uncovered with 25 yards of green space. This play has to be made, and it's been an issue for him. 

I'm on the Baker bandwagon. I think he's going to be our guy for a very long time. That being said, he absolutely NEVER makes this play. He only makes this play when the RB flares out to the side, never in the middle. And don't give me this he's too short bullcrap. Brees is the master at this. 

This is not just me pointing this out, this trend has been harped on by analysts and film people for a while. This is just the latest example. What hurts is how easy this play is, and how much it can yield. That's KAREEM HUNT. If you have a chance to get him the ball in the open field, you MUST execute it. Like I said, this has happened so many times this year alone. 

28 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Ehhh...I'm not with you on this one. It was obvious pressure was coming. Baker read that part well, but by this point in his career I'd like him to understand that his extraordinarily talented RB was going to be UNCOVERED. Not "open due to a defender's hips facing somewhere", but totally uncovered with 25 yards of green space. This play has to be made, and it's been an issue for him. 

I'm on the Baker bandwagon. I think he's going to be our guy for a very long time. That being said, he absolutely NEVER makes this play. He only makes this play when the RB flares out to the side, never in the middle. And don't give me this he's too short bullcrap. Brees is the master at this. 

This is not just me pointing this out, this trend has been harped on by analysts and film people for a while. This is just the latest example. What hurts is how easy this play is, and how much it can yield. That's KAREEM HUNT. If you have a chance to get him the ball in the open field, you MUST execute it. Like I said, this has happened so many times this year alone. 

I agree BUT if recall correctly he did this well as a rookie.  Or at least I recall his movement in the pocket and finding that check down was a lot better than it is now.  I just remember him moving fluidly finding passing windows and other targets better.  It is more panic mode now and lock into a guy when he’s in the pocket.

Does knowing the playbook a little better help?  He should know the WR routes- but it is different playbook this year.

Last year to a large extent and this year at times.  It is Baker with his eyes down or on pass rushers but other times just locked onto a target further downfield.   I think he’s better outside the pocket because seemingly scans other targets downfield.  In the pocket he seems like he’s one read and one read only.

when do we start rolling pockets more?  He’s comfortable there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

And don't give me this he's too short bullcrap. Brees is the master at this.  

He ain't Brees... at least not yet.

As at least tried to say earlier... Baker may have seen the DB blitz coming. Clearly Hunt was responsible for the pick up. Instead he released as if "hot", but Baker was not looking for that.

Trying to think of the last time I saw a circle route run as a hot read and I can't come up with it. Most of the time RBs release more to the outside, but then that's when the pressure comes from out there. Inside most of the time the RB has to pick up the blitzer. It is possible Hunt did not have a release option in that situation.

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:
5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner...

This is exactly what we need to figure out, BUT we need to do it WITHOUT play-action, at least to start. Why? Because of what I said earlier regarding defenses now firing their ends off the corner with ZERO regard for the RB. VERY few people can throw on the run better than Baker. Move the pocket, make it happen! 

Also, I saw the replay of the awful snap on 3rd and 1. It was an effing TOUCHDOWN btw. A walk in touchdown for Hooper. Texans blew coverage and nobody was on him. Ahhhhhh. 

🤣

22 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

20201117_211259.jpg

how it gets fixed you say ? get baker some platform shoes may help

• Like 1

I'm re-watching the game and Baker did it AGAIN. After our defense forced a 3 and out on the Texans' opening possession, we faced a 3rd and 9. Baker had some time to throw but nobody was open so he took off running, but was way short of the first. Take a wild guess who was open on the right side of the line of scrimmage? I seriously don't know what's going on with this. We're not talking about some difficult throw to make, and it's not like Baker doesn't know he's on the damn field. The "Orange and Brown Report" have often brought this up, but the overall feeling was that coaching would address this and it'd be fixed. 

Nope. Not yet. So you might not believe this, but it happened...again. Remember when Baker rolled out right and threw a gorgeous ball to Landry who stupidly got a taunting penalty? It's obviously hard to fault Baker for missing Hunt when he makes a terrific toss to Landry, but Hunt is literally directly in front of him waving his hand in the air! 

Baker isn't perfect and that's totally OK, but in bad weather games he simply MUST be able to see and hit the easy passes in front of him, especially if they're to freakin Kareem Hunt. If Orange and Brown Report and I see this, you know our coaches see it, and it WILL be addressed. I only hope it sinks in.