THE BROWNS BOARD

At this *exact* point in time, what would serve the Browns better?

Orange Dog Democrat

Since the idea of "we're not naming a starter because the trade value of the loser goes down as soon as we do" is a running subplot around here...

Let's say a mid-level starting QB does a knee tomorrow afternoon. Not someone like Drew Brees or Peyton Manning -- not someone for whom either BQ or DA would not even be a ghost of a replacement -- but, I dunno, like a Jason Campbell type. No obvious in-house solution.

Would the Browns be better off dealing either Quinn or Anderson for whatever we can get, throwing the locker room into turmoil and putting all the chips on either red or black... or better off moving forward with the situation now and hoping one guy or the other earns the job by the third game of the preseason?

Since the idea of "we're not naming a starter because the trade value of the loser goes down as soon as we do" is a running subplot around here...

Let's say a mid-level starting QB does a knee tomorrow afternoon. Not someone like Drew Brees or Peyton Manning -- not someone for whom either BQ or DA would not even be a ghost of a replacement -- but, I dunno, like a Jason Campbell type. No obvious in-house solution.

Would the Browns be better off dealing either Quinn or Anderson for whatever we can get, throwing the locker room into turmoil and putting all the chips on either red or black... or better off moving forward with the situation now and hoping one guy or the other earns the job by the third game of the preseason?

YES

It's over after this year. If I were betting, I'd say the guy who gets the nod is probably The Guy... and that's probably been Quinn all along, with some slight hedging in case Anderson really, REALLY outplayed him in practices, scrimmages, and preseason games.

So far, that hasn't happened. Anderson was up a little in practices, Quinn was a little better in the scrimmage. I think Anderson would have to knock Quinn out in the next two games to win the job.

Or drive over him in a semi.

Guest Masters
After watching some of last years NE footage i would trade them both plus ratty for cassel! ;)

For the QB who got hit, pressured, and sacked the most in the NFL last year, while behind a good NE Oline? Not me. I think Cassel is going to come way back down to earth this year and would come down just as far if in CLE.

I'm catching a flight to KC because I think I could win a WR job there. Seriously... Bowe, Engram, and Toomer? With all the guys who can throw 60 yards on this board, am I the only one who runs a 4.28?

Their only other problems are the crap OL and Larry Johnson's declining production. So, you know... no problem, Matt.

(For the record, I think he's really good. But man, what a shitty situation.)

Does anyone else see the irony in Kanas City being the reason Matt Cassel got his first chance in the NFL, and why they'll likely be the reason his career will end? That OL really does stink.

The organization never said that trade value was the major reason, nor do i believe that is the reason.

We went through 4 QB's last year. It seems prudent to keep two (or three) good ones.

It's over after this year. If I were betting, I'd say the guy who gets the nod is probably The Guy... and that's probably been Quinn all along, with some slight hedging in case Anderson really, REALLY outplayed him in practices, scrimmages, and preseason games.

So far, that hasn't happened. Anderson was up a little in practices, Quinn was a little better in the scrimmage. I think Anderson would have to knock Quinn out in the next two games to win the job.

If guys like Warner and now Cassell can come out of nowhere, why not Ratliff? Would anyone have taken a guy who hadn't started since HS and say gee he's ready. Most likely they were saying , "we need to get a veteran in here in case". So, it isn't beyond reality that Ratliff could pass both guys while they are standing there with their feet in the mud.

At this *exact* point in time, what would serve the Browns better?

-----------------------

1. Art Modell breaking into tears and tells Cleveland how cruel he was for moving the team away from the city and how he was wrong and the NFL suspends the team for a year

2. Rothlesberger gets arrested in the rape case and gets suspended for a year.

3. Braylon Edwards gets sooo good at catching balls that the opposition defenders are all using their hands to cover their abdomen guard.

4. Jamal Lewis doe the curious case of Benjamin button and starts growing younger.

5. Peyton Manning, Randy Moss, Anaquinn Boldin all declare their new found love for Cleveland and decide to play in Cleveland for free and demand a trade.

6. MoMass's puberty returns and he lands up becoming 8 feet tall and is an easy target for either QB. or he drinks redbull and grows wings.

7. Randy Learner saves a bunch of money on his car insurance by switching to Geico and gets so happy that he stops charging tickets prices for Browns game for us fans.

Archived